• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Resumes Rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Feature Update (1809)

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity OC + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
Just updated Now 1809 was still on 1709 so far so good ,but 1709 was faster , I can go back anytime but 99% I wont as more app in the windows store require you to be on the latest ver.

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's very bad some people have games on steam and other sites and they need to use newest Windows.
Other could simply install first basic model of Windows 10 without number and to disable automatic update completely.

Look my insane collection of Windows 10 versions.
That's only option because sometimes system stuck when you update and won't boot.
And only solution is installation from scratch.

This is insane influence on life time of our expensive drives.
Last version without number is what we first get and everything worked normal. Later they start to launch one buy one with 1703 problems start and didn't stop.
In mean time between them have big number of Cumulative Updates with big importance when system need 2-3 restarts before install one Update and they make problem even worse.

Windows versions.PNG

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
It's very bad some people have games on steam and other sites and they need to use newest Windows.
Other could simply install first basic model of Windows 10 without number and to disable automatic update completely.

Look my insane collection of Windows 10 versions.
That's only option because sometimes system stuck when you update and won't boot.
And only solution is installation from scratch.

This is insane influence on life time of our expensive drives.
Last version without number is what we first get and everything worked normal. Later they start to launch one buy one with 1703 problems start and didn't stop.
In mean time between them have big number of Cumulative Updates with big importance when system need 2-3 restarts before install one Update and they make problem even worse.

View attachment 111247
Not sure what you're trying to say here. People are using the latest windows versions because Microsoft pushes them to us. And they do that because of either clueless or, on the contrary, smarta$$ users that didn't update and were the perfect candidates for spreading viruses or being drafted into bot networks.
From what I have seen, most people having problems with Windows these days is those that either pirated it and are going out of their way to keep it from updating or contacting Microsoft's servers, or people that either heavily customized it or removed built-in functionality.

Windows is not perfect (that's why I'm typing this on Linux), but overall it is in a far better place than it was 10 years ago. And with its current leadership, it looks like it will keep getting better.

Windows is not perfect (that's why I'm typing this on Linux), but overall it is in a far better place than it was 10 years ago.
Oh I can't agree with that. If it were still supported, I would rather have Windows Vista over Win 10 everyday of the week. Yes, yes.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Oh I can't agree with that. If it were still supported, I would rather have Windows Vista over Win 10 everyday of the week. Yes, yes.
Vista had too many rough edges that were smoothed out in 7, imho. On the other hand, they're all Vista under the hood, so probably Vista itself could have been polished into something better as well.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Not sure what you're trying to say here. People are using the latest windows versions because Microsoft pushes them to us. And they do that because of either clueless or, on the contrary, smarta$$ users that didn't update and were the perfect candidates for spreading viruses or being drafted into bot networks.
From what I have seen, most people having problems with Windows these days is those that either pirated it and are going out of their way to keep it from updating or contacting Microsoft's servers, or people that either heavily customized it or removed built-in functionality.

Windows is not perfect (that's why I'm typing this on Linux), but overall it is in a far better place than it was 10 years ago. And with its current leadership, it looks like it will keep getting better.

Where you live, Windows is not perfect but it's far better then before, people lost data old decades after update, people lost activation codes, people can't OC Broadwell-E, and that's only some of most important problems, list is long. Haaa..
If I understand only people who activate pirate codes and disable update are spared from Microsoft madness and save money and nerves.

What they are candidate to spread viruses...??? Than you install 10 antivirus system, modified BIOS, every morning instead news you read 2h about potential treat and how and cripple down performance 20% and you will protected from us.
IT communities are famous and full of deep and interesting secrets, how many people use NVIDIA and how many AMD Graphic card and what is better Witcher or Hitman.

You really don't understand.
Systems was vulnerable always, only now exactly report you how is vulnerable and you panic.
Before no one cares for vulnerability, hackers were far more active than today, now suddenly everyone want to know exactly way how his system could be hacked and when he get explanation start panic, hysteria and every moment on computer is spent to protect self better, people that's close to diagnose....

Before few days I read, guy install everything last year after security holes are reported and he is not only one, after he closed all holes and after spending 1000h on reading, searching and trying to install one by one thing he figure out that now he can't OC processors, that system crash and make dozen problems.
Now finaly figure out and say I don;'t care for security anymore I want to OC my system. Normal people could figure out that 2-3 weeks after first report and completely stop to lose time on reading nonsense about vulnerability.
Now every university, every few weeks some students reports possible holes and media report that and immediately topics on all side panic, people request new BIOS, madness. After week another university find something else again reports, topic, chaos, panic...etc...

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Where you live, Windows is not perfect but it's far better then before,
Yes, blue screens are almost unheard of these days and I don't have to delete C:\Windows every couple of years to get rid of leftovers every couple of years. That, in my book, is far better.

people lost data old decades after update,
Only people that had their documents/pictures/whatever spread between a custom and the default location. None of the people I know seem to have been in that category. However, that was quite a bug to escape not only Microdoft's internal testing, but that of beta testers as well.

people lost activation codes,
Oh, the horror of having to contact support...

people can't OC Broadwell-E,
Because when you bought Win10, it said in the license agreement that it would let your overclock everything. Sky high.

and that's only some of most important problems, list is long. Haaa..
That's a list of problems that may be important to you. Don't assume everybody else sees them the same.

You really don't understand.
Having started with MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 and being quite proficient in Linux, I would venture to say I have a pretty good idea.

And to be perfectly clear, I don't think automatic updates are (ever going to be) perfect. But in an ever more connected world, they're the lesser of two evils. That's all.