• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ChromeOS-competitor Windows Lite to Feature a Reimagined UI, Chucks "Metro" Live Tiles

Ooh MS, stop waisting resources on such projects like this, Windows Mobile and fix your god damn main OS: Windows 10.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Microsoft has forgotten how to do anything the customers actually want...

Windows 10, without the telemetry and bloat, and a nice UI which isn't a hodgepodge of Vista and broken, boring flat Metro UI would be a good start.

And for Windows 11, take Windows 10, strip it to the core and heavily optimize it, and by optimized, I mean to the hardware. Optimize for Ryzen, and whatever the last couple of "lake" CPUs Intel is peddling, also optimize for the last couple of GPU generations from AMD and nVidia, throw in a modern, hardware rendered refresh of the Windows 7 UI, and we could be looking at something quite cool... Yeah, you would piss off a few million users of antique hardware, but you have to cut out support for that old crap to be able to truly move forward with Windows.

Last edited:

SL2

I don't follow, i said i like to have my desktop clean, i only have "this pc" and "user's files" icons on the desktop, when i need to open a program i just open start and click, very simple.
My bad, I just looked at the taskbar in your pic, I read too fast.

Why is it so important that the taskbar stays pretty much like it was it is after a clean install? I've never understood why this is so common among Windows users.

I only use the start menu for searching, and it's been my habit since Windows 7, you know, when MS got their shit together and realized that you could use the same button in the taskbar for both starting and switching to a program.
Quick launch was a silly idea.
Having things pinned to the taskbar or quicklaunch is redundant with desktop shortcuts. Some prefer the desktop clean and some prefer the taskbar clean.

SL2

Having things pinned to the taskbar or quicklaunch is redundant with desktop shortcuts.
Of course, but only the taskbar needs only one click at any time. The desktop shortcuts will end up behind programs sooner or later. (I don't count the quick launch anymore.)
Some prefer the desktop clean and some prefer the taskbar clean.
Sure, it's a matter of taste. Trying to keep the taskbar empty is a bit like trying to keep the RAM unused if you're asking me.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how a clean install looks like. Windows users wants it to be (almost) empty because that's how it is when it's new,
while macOS users accepts a utilized dock because it's not empty after a reinstall (It could also be the lack of alternatives).

The taskbar is superior IMO, long live Windows 7! :D

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Start8 + Windowblinds on server 2012.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-28 15.34.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-28 15.34.05.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 97