• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is EA's New Single-Player Star Wars Game Releasing Nov, 2019

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I never played either KOTOR game so if this is a rehash with modern graphics...yay for me?

I hate to buy EA games but I am willing for SW. If it follows a traditional EA release the activation servers won't work for the first week and there will be game breaking bugs for the first month. Or is that just a DICE thing?

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
maybe MAYBE this is the 'sense of pride and accomplishment' that you are looking for in star wars games by EA

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I never played either KOTOR game so if this is a rehash with modern graphics...yay for me?

I hate to buy EA games but I am willing for SW. If it follows a traditional EA release the activation servers won't work for the first week and there will be game breaking bugs for the first month. Or is that just a DICE thing?
Now that you mention it, Respawn seems to have a lot of leeway EA's other studios don't have. Titanfall, Titanfall 2, and Apex Legends were made on Source Engine. This game is apparently being developed on Unreal Engine 4. Check another box for hopeful because Source is really crappy at making games like KOTOR. Source needs everything broken up into levels which makes global states a PITA. UE4, on the other hand, has persistent levels which store global states. The decision to jump from what they know to something they don't is jarring though. Even Bioware did everything old school when they jumped to Unreal Engine 3 for Mass Effect. They didn't actually use Unreal Engine's systems the way they were meant to be used until Mass Effect 2 which is why the graphics/framerate jumped up considerably between the two games. So as much as switching to UE4 is a plus for gameplay, it's also a negative in terms of their ability to use it the way it is meant to be used due to lack of experience.

Why hasn't EA forced Respawn to switch to Frostbite like everyone else? Is DICE/Frostbite on the chopping block? I mean, the fact most of EA's developers are English speaking and Frostbite is written by Swedish developers...I shouldn't have to spell out how many problems that creates.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Why hasn't EA forced Respawn to switch to Frostbite like everyone else? Is DICE/Frostbite on the chopping block? I mean, the fact most of EA's developers are English speaking and Frostbite is written by Swedish developers...I shouldn't have to spell out how many problems that creates.

I can't answer this. I can only speculate that maybe soderlund didn't have much influence or 'opinion' on Respawn as he did for DICE, Bioware or any other developer/studio that they bought out. I think Respawn joined the EA party when Soderlund was already on the way out so really didn't have time to enforce any influence or opinions on the developer.

Don't forget that Anthem was in development for 7 years before they were told to stop fucking around and get it out.

Not that it makes much of a difference but Respawn are made up of the folks who made the early CoD games so it could be a case of soderlund letting them do what they want as they have already proved they know what they are doing.

On a side note. The more money a studio makes for EA, the more support they will get from the publisher so this maybe a case of that as well.

One thing that is for certain is that soderlunds decisions ruined a lot of games. Not that EA or the investors care about small things like that. They aren't the ones playing the game

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Don't forget that Anthem was in development for 7 years before they were told to stop fucking around and get it out.
Pre-production (designing and prototyping) for five years, production (developing) for two years.

Not that it makes much of a difference but Respawn are made up of the folks who made the early CoD games so it could be a case of soderlund letting them do what they want as they have already proved they know what they are doing.
Bioware made their own engine for making RPG games since 1998 (licensed to both Obsidian and CD Projekt to catapult both of them to stardom) and they were told to quit using it for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
…more mixed feelings... :(

Who really wants an asset-swapped remaster of KOTOR2? Bioware making KOTOR makes sense. Obsidian making KOTOR2 makes sense. In what has been described so far, there is nothing original here and it's being created by a studio that hasn't even dabbled in action RPGs.

This all strikes me as a bad idea. More of EA throwing money at a studio to make magic that hasn't worked out for them since Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware should have been working on this instead of Anthem. Hell, Respawn would have probably done 10 times better job on Anthem than Bioware did. I have to shake my head at the epic display of incompetence here by EA.

That said, I hope I'm wrong but odds are stacked against this game.

Edit: Chris Avellone contributed to writing on the game but he is under Aaron Contreras. Both have worked on nonlinear games so...maybe there is hope? I'm still concerned that a studio making exclusively shooters is working on a game that is heavily melee based. That's not an easy transition.

They should have some Raven people. Good RPG writers (because Kotor 2 was better than the first one in many ways, with the writing being head and shoulders above it) and Jedi Knight gameplay? Sign me up. I am assuming this will not be that though.

If it is as good at lightsaber combat as Jedi Outcast/Academy I will buy it at full price and I will upgrade my computer to run it at high settings.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Sometimes I wonder if there is a strategy. It more or less feels like a constant mood of the day response. I believe they call that 'listening to the community'.

We still don't have a god damn clue what we can actually rely on with EA. Somewhere deep inside you get the impression they want to release good games, and then there is the constant stream of mishaps. Even the simple things, take Origin for instance. It feels like going back ten years in terms of launcher quality. Slow load time, visibly loading in store items like a web page over 56k, inoperate functionality galore, super clunky interface... and this is a multi billion dollar company. I also still haven't managed to get ingame overlay to work.
I’ll agree with your take on Origin other than your issues with the Overlay. I love a built in FPS counter in my launchers)(add my Non-Steam games to Steam to use theirs often) only issue is using anything HDR makes it a hard to see but that a “me issue’ not the overlays.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

EA / Maxis pulled a stunt once of releasing Sim City as an online-required game with bad servers and you literally had a post stamp in terms of space to build. Server limitation. I kid you not. It was basically the final demise of Sim City and around that time got eclipsed by proper city builders such as Cities Skylines.

There is really no traditional EA release I think, they are creative enough to find a new way to screw it all up every single time. Doesn't even have to be at launch, by the way. I still see them destroying Apex at some point in the near future. Its too quiet over there and too many good decisions were made.

I’ll agree with your take on Origin other than your issues with the Overlay. I love a built in FPS counter in my launchers)(add my Non-Steam games to Steam to use theirs often) only issue is using anything HDR makes it a hard to see but that a “me issue’ not the overlays.

Why not just use RTSS then, so you have the same stats/counter in every game (with a single toggle shortcut)?

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

Dice. Respawn being the studio this has great potential to be solid.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Why not just use RTSS then, so you have the same stats/counter in every game (with a single toggle shortcut)?
Why add yet another program? It has a place on my AIDA monitoring page for when I can’t use anything else. Also not a hug fan of OSDs in general hence my love for my G19+AIDA64
2038CB6B-1698-4A58-8560-89828FEDF463.jpeg

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
hence my love for my G19+AIDA64

I wish I could get an ergonomic (MS Natural Elite) style G19. I am just so used to this keyboard I can't go back to a regular...and I really don't want two keyboards. I tried the little Logitech (G34?) game pad in addition to my normal keyboard and it was a pita.

It was basically the final demise of Sim City

Sim City SNES or GTFO. That is really the last Sim City game I played if it wasn't the first one for PC circa W95.

There is really no traditional EA release I think, they are creative enough to find a new way to screw it all up every single time. Doesn't even have to be at launch, by the way. I still see them destroying Apex at some point in the near future. Its too quiet over there and too many good decisions were made.

Agreed but I have been sorely lacking a solid Star Wars game.

While this looks good on paper, it's EA. As much as I love Star Wars, I'm not touching EA. Disney needs to pull their stuff in-house with the Lucasfilm Games thing that was taked about a little while back.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
While this looks good on paper, it's EA. As much as I love Star Wars, I'm not touching EA. Disney needs to pull their stuff in-house with the Lucasfilm Games thing that was taked about a little while back.

I'll give them a second chance in a heart beat. The goal is to get developers/publishers to do good things and if they put out a good game then they should be rewarded. Otherwise, they have no incentive to change.

That said, if all they do is put lipstick on a pig then I'll wait until the bargain bin.

I'll give them a second chance in a heart beat. The goal is to get developers/publishers to do good things and if they put out a good game then they should be rewarded. Otherwise, they have no incentive to change.

That said, if all they do is put lipstick on a pig then I'll wait until the bargain bin.
If they put the game on GOG, Ok I'll buy it in your aforementioned heart-beat. Hell, even Steam would be a better option as long as it can be played offline. Otherwise, hard freaking pass.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Considering it's being made on UE4, I would be shocked if it wasn't an Origin/EGS exclusive. But we are talking EA here. I don't think they released any games not on Origin in the past five years. The odds of it being on GOG any time soon are...well...none. EA fears DRM free.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Considering it's being made on UE4, I would be shocked if it wasn't an Origin/EGS exclusive. But we are talking EA here. I don't think they released any games not on Origin in the past five years. The odds of it being on GOG any time soon are...well...none. EA fears DRM free.

It will definitely be on Origin (why wouldn't it?) and seeing it is UE4 I agree that I can see it being on EGS as well. I really hope it is on EGS as that is where I would buy it lol

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Don't get your hopes too high. I put EGS exclusive at 50/50. It would be out of the ordinary for EA to do it...but using UE4 is also out the ordinary for EA too. Better odds of showing up on EGS than anywhere else though because EA is probably willing to let Epic take a 12% cut to get access to the Fortnite playerbase that's probably never heard of Origin. I think Star Wars numbers are falling among the tweens too which is another reason for EA to consider EGS.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Don't get your hopes too high. I put EGS exclusive at 50/50. It would be out of the ordinary for EA to do it...but using UE4 is also out the ordinary for EA too. Better odds of showing up on EGS than anywhere else though because EA is probably willing to let Epic take a 12% cut to get access to the Fortnite playerbase that's probably never heard of Origin. I think Star Wars numbers are falling among the tweens too which is another reason for EA to consider EGS.

They may want access to the Fortnite's player base but that isn't going to be the B&B of this game's sales because, as you said, the Fortnite player base probably doesn't have too great of an interest in Star Wars. Not sure what the sales were of Battlefront 2 but that would be the Fortnite fan's game over a single player only RPG.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It's described as action-adventure, not action-RPG, sadly. :(

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Christmas is 1 month early this year. So long since I played Jedi Outcast, can't believe we've had to wait so long for a real Stars Wars game and not some multiplayer garbage.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Christmas is 1 month early this year. So long since I played Jedi Outcast, can't believe we've had to wait so long for a real Stars Wars game and not some multiplayer garbage.
Let’s wait and see. Even though Respawn does great work and seem to be a little more autonomous that other EA studios, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We still don’t know if this will end up being a real Star Wars game. I’m assuming you mean real, as I do, to be a game worthy of the name “Star Wars.”

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
If it is as good at lightsaber combat as Jedi Outcast/Academy I will buy it at full price and I will upgrade my computer to run it at high settings.

Yes, those 2 were and still are THE BEST melee games from SW universe. The SWTOR MMO it's a complete joke on that matter....

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Yes, those 2 were and still are THE BEST melee games from SW universe. The SWTOR MMO it's a complete joke on that matter....

I will go as far as to say they are the best melee games, period. Tied with Monkey Island of course.