• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Waning Popularity: After Peaking, Apex Legends Already Lost 75% of Its Streaming Audience

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Apex Legends was somewhat of a sleeper hit, and it was so in many ways. A ninja introduction by EA of the Respawn Entertainment-developed game back in January saw significant interest from the gaming community, who recognized in Respawn the ability to make a great FPS. Taking advantage of the Battle Royale popularity was also a solid move, as was EA's decision to focus marketing efforts not on a long, drawn-out publicity campaign, but instead, on paying renowned Twitch streamers to play and stream their game.

Since gaming (at least when it comes to multiplayer gaming) nowadays has somewhat of a "monkey see, monkey do" dynamic for the general gaming population, this move prompted Apex Legends to the top of the streaming food chain, with a grand total of 40 million hours streamed on its first week alone. Also during its first week, the game achieved a staggering 25 million unique players, doubling that number to 50 million in the first month. However, the cash flow must die out, and as EA stopped paying streamers, so did they move on to other, more proficuous games, such as Fortnite, which has endured the Apex Legends assault in terms of viewers and players. It remains to be seen if EA will double down on the streamer investment it did on the games' launch, or if Respawn Entertainment can churn out meaningful updates and characters that can turn the tide.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Easy to explain:

- lack of new content
- slow updates
- worst netcode of the last 14 years (according to battlenonsense analysis, 140ms fire delay + 24hz tickrate)
- broken hitboxes, still no fix (pathfinder)
- rampant hacking
- poor performance (even at 720p low my gtx 1080ti struggles to lock it at 138fps in some areas - Gsync/freesync usage)

EA stocks were going trough a nightmare, apex came and saved them, but EA could still manage to ruin the potential that was on this game. They investimg on the upcoming star wars (made by respawn) and no investment on apex. They thought they could get away with it. EA ...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Easy to explain:

- lack of new content
- slow updates
- worst netcode of the last 14 years (according to battlenonsense analysis, 140ms fire delay + 24hz tickrate)
- rampant hacking
- poor performance (even at 720p low my gtx 1080ti struggles to lock it at 138fps in some areas - Gsync/freesync usage)

EA stocks were going trough a nightmare, apex came and saved them, but EA could still manage to ruin the potential that was on this game. They investimg on the upcoming star wars (made by respawn) and no investment on apex. They thought they could get away with it. EA ...

You forgot the money train. Once the contract paid shills on twitch had with EA to play Apex Legends expired, they all went back to playing their regular games (which wasnt Apex) the game died. because these streamers took their viewership and subscribers with them.

Thats what happens when you release a game without much substance and hire some big names to bang the drum.... Once the money for PR runs out and everyone goes back to their regular day jobs, nobody really cares about the game anymore because it didnt have any redeeming features in the first place.

At least the game is still free though, so there is no real barrier to entry other than downloading and running EA Origin. Im sure people will return to the game once more content for it is released.

On a more positive note Titanfall 2 has received a much welcome boost because of Apex Legends. If people arent playing Apex, then it will be Titanfall.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
The battle pass being pretty lackluster is partly to blame, plus other things like cheaters, bots selling cheats, netcode...

D

Deleted member 158293

EA prides itself in pricing their transactions at the maximum price the market can bear. This usually doesn't translate to maximum market penetration. IMO this would be a peine example of this.

You forgot the money train. Once the contract paid shills on twitch had with EA to play Apex Legends expired, they all went back to playing their regular games (which wasnt Apex) the game died. because these streamers took their viewership and subscribers with them.

Thats what happens when you release a game without much substance and hire some big names to bang the drum.... Once the money for PR runs out and everyone goes back to their regular day jobs, nobody really cares about the game anymore because it didnt have any redeeming features in the first place.

At least the game is still free though, so there is no real barrier to entry other than downloading and running EA Origin. Im sure people will return to the game once more content for it is released.

On a more positive note Titanfall 2 has received a much welcome boost because of Apex Legends. If people arent playing Apex, then it will be Titanfall.

You can talk about ninja and doctor, but shroud enjoyed the game a lot. But is always the same thing and he got bored.

However I agree with you and in my opinion these big streamers are destroying videogames industry.

Titanfall 2 is great, but the game has bad hacking problem aswell.

D

Deleted member 67555

I won every single round I played and was bored AF.
The game is full of idiots.
Idiots aren't a challenge and the game isn't going to draw in worthy opponents because it sucks.
It has too many problems.
Blah blah blah.
Don't get me started on these Twitch TV players that look like they are the best players ever but in reality are being given unfair advantage because of Twitch TV..
People for fucks sakes quit watching people play and play yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Team Fortress 2 lost countless players during the years and devs slowly still create content, hype usually any game go through.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Idiots aren't a challenge and the game isn't going to draw in worthy opponents because it sucks.
Blah blah blah.
Don't get me started on these Twitch TV players that look like they are the best players ever but in reality are being given unfair advantage because of Twitch TV..
The only time I watch someone else play is when I get stuck on some side quest/mission and couldn’t figure it out myself and have to search for an answer. Even then, I prefer to read the how-to instead of watching a video. I’m always surprised when I hear there are huge audiences watching other people play. If I’m gonna invest time into a game, it’s going to be to play it.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I don't care all that much about streamers personally. Game is still enjoyable, but I do get burned out after a few rounds now and then. Game desperately needs content and some fixes.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I find the have quite enjoyable, despite all the issues. Changing server region has helped a lot. But yes, the game needs a lot of work, epically considering the insane amount of cheaters and spam bots. But, considering the rounds don't last too long, even if you stay alive to the very end, it's easy to pick up and play a few rounds, unlike many similar games.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
So you can say it's reached it's Apex.

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Easy to explain:

- lack of new content
- slow updates
- rampant hacking

- of course it could use more content, but it's a free game that just launched
- they seem to be patching fairly often
- the netcode definitely needs to get better, but the only way to call it "worse of the last 14 years" is if you haven't played anything in the last 14 years
- that was already fixed, seem you haven't played the game recently
- hacking in Apex is on the decline actually, though like any online game, fools who do it still exist
- I'm getting stable 70+ fps @ 1440p maxed, except AA - so check your configuration

- of course it could use more content, but it's a free game that just launched
- they seem to be patching fairly often
- the netcode definitely needs to get better, but the only way to call it "worse of the last 14 years" is if you haven't played anything in the last 14 years
- that was already fixed, seem you haven't played the game recently
- hacking in Apex is on the decline actually, though like any online game, fools who do it still exist
- I'm getting stable 70+ fps @ 1440p maxed, except AA - so check your configuration
Apex doesn't have much to offer over the competition. The "New-hotness" factor has worn off.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Blah blah blah.

Can you explain how this works? Are the Twitch players given some kind of power-ups, that other players don't get? How are they getting an "unfair advantage"?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I doubt EA is generating much money from the game since free to play and quick to die. Attention span of most people will keep them playing bigger name online games, this was a mere very brief distraction, once the EA stock holders realise this it will be game over. Anthem flopped, Battlefield is decrease in sales... I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see EA's stock tank hard in the coming months. If it wasn't for FIFA they would have been dead years ago. So many sports addicts though, haha

Streaming Audience. Well not a big surprise because all of the popular variety streamers stopped playing it and moved on to the next hyped thing. (GTA V RP mostly)

That's what happens with basically all games that suddenly that gets picked up by streamers.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Quantity of streamers or viewing audience isn't an indication of a games popularity.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I’m always surprised when I hear there are huge audiences watching other people play. If I’m gonna invest time into a game, it’s going to be to play it.

You shouldn't be. There is more to this. You see in order to play a game, you need to invest into: time, money for PC/console,phone, buy the actual game (if it's paid)..etc..etc. And for watching you only need a device capable of playing video. For people that are debating whether to quit gaming or not, this could be a somewhat acceptable compromise. Also, games that require super fast reflexes (Meatboy, Jamestown..etc) there are people, that just want to see the story or next boss. It may take them forever to get there, or even never to reach that point in the game. Just look at the "Games I never finished" thread here and you will see thousands of folks that never completed titles.

D

Deleted member 67555

Can you explain how this works? Are the Twitch players given some kind of power-ups, that other players don't get? How are they getting an "unfair advantage"?
Balanced match making.
1) I can't prove it but it would seem as some well known and popular Twitch players seem to always be on the "good side of LAG" especially when a game first launches.
2) Pro Players manipulate the balance by playing under new accounts that match them with beginners. They make ridiculous claims that by playing under their real name just makes them a target to be sniped constantly so they switch up....In reality what the rest of us regular players do is school the motherfucker putting us to the test instead of crying like a lil loser bitch and then making ourselves feel better by going taking candy from a baby.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Balanced match making.
1) I can't prove it but it would seem as some well known and popular Twitch players seem to always be on the "good side of LAG" especially when a game first launches.
2) Pro Players manipulate the balance by playing under new accounts that match them with beginners. They make ridiculous claims that by playing under their real name just makes them a target to be sniped constantly so they switch up....In reality what the rest of us regular players do is school the motherfucker putting us to the test instead of crying like a lil loser bitch and then making ourselves feel better by going taking candy from a baby.
Respectfully, these reasons are utter nonsense to me.

1. I've seen plenty of Twitch and YT streamers (mostly Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends) on the 'bad' side of lag. I mean how in the world would you be able to selectively pick out users and specify them for a lower ping while others are higher???? Seriously... what networking magic can do this for them while still allowing the public to join?

2. Many of the major streamers I have seen (again same titles) stick with the same ID. Sure, some have multiple ID's and stream sniping can be a major issue for these people, but for the most part, the 10 or so streamers my sons and I watch, are typically using the same handle (Ninja, HighDistortion, Dakotaz, Chocotaco, NICKMERCS, Danucd, Dr Lupo, DrDisrespect, Timthetatman, TFue, NickEh30, Lachy, Shroud, Ali A)... they all play the vast majority of their time under their main name.

Have you ever watched a stream on some of these major players and seen just how many stream snipe? I typically have chocotaco on (PUBG) and it is nearly constant. He gets around 3-8K viewers... can you imagine what TFue, or Ninja, or DrDisR has to deal with having 2-4x more viewers? It is a problem for them... either they just run up and say high and get killed or try hard to kill the streamer for their own fame.

Last edited: