• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EPIC CEO Tim Sweeney: "Exclusives do Work"

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
EPIC CEO Tim Sweeney in a veritable Tweetstorm detailed EPIC's strategy on gaming exclusivity a bit more - and to listen to the CEO, EPIC is doing this as a way to break Steam's grasp on the PC games distribution market and their 30/70 distributor's cut. Asked on games exclusivity and their usage as a digital storefront strategy, Sweeney said that EPIC "believes exclusives are the only strategy that will change the 70/30 status quo at a large enough scale to permanently affect the whole game industry." He also says that this split is a "disastrous situation for developers and publishers alike."

Sweeney says that other independent storefronts that have been launched over the years (we imagine he's speaking of GOG and Humble Bundle, just to name a few), "none seem to have reached 5% of Steam's scale." He goes on to say that "this leads to the strategy of exclusives which, though unpopular with dedicated Steam gamers, do work, as established by the major publisher storefronts and by the key Epic Games store releases compared to their former Steam revenue projections and their actual console sales." His stance is that EPIC's 12/88 split is fairer for developers (stating that a 30% cut would almost totally cut into their profits), and that this additional money that enters studios' pockets will necessarily be split among "(1) reinvestment, (2) profit, and (3) price reduction", and that in this way, EPIC's solution is both proportionate to the problem, and a move that will benefit gamers in the long run.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
12/82 ?
Something doesn't add up

As for Epic's exclusives... not impressed.
For all their talk of fairer price distribution, I'll be interested once it starts meaning lower prices for us, consumers. I don't care how much money goes to whom...

System Name Main Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Memory 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Sweeney is full of crap when he says that these actions can lead to a price reduction. It won't. All it'll do is just lead to games being charged for the same or more due to the higher profits. It doesn't benefit gamers.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
The thing with Sweeney is that he makes statements that are not common knowledge like, "The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the Developer that made the game." But where is the proof? It's hard to believe that Developers usually don't make any profit on the games they make. Why would they make games if there is no profit to be had? Or is he saying that the money made only covers the costs of Development and usually nothing more is made? There has always been costs associated with distribution of games. Boxed games had a cost. Distribution to brick and mortar stores had a cost. What was the cost back then?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
If it is indeed it is Sweeney’s goal, and not publicity stunt that many suspected it was 6 months ago, then I for one hope it works.

I will be withholding my judgenent on that stated reason until I see it actually play out. Certainly by now there surely must be publishers and devs on Steam that have decided they will flex their muscles with Steam when the next distribution agreement comes up.?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 177333

Tim Sweeney is certainly welcome to his opinion, however, I'm not buying any of what he's selling - literally and figuratively. I have never, and will never, buy anything from Epic.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Sweeney is full of crap when he says that these actions can lead to a price reduction. It won't. All it'll do is just lead to games being charged for the same or more due to the higher profits. It doesn't benefit gamers.
Actually, it’s purpose is not to help the gamers on price, it is to allow more money to the publisher and devs so that they can continue their game making on the next project more easily.

It CAN have the side effect of making the game cheaper for gamers, as witnessed by the $59.99 price of Metro: Exodus on Steam to $49.99 on EGS. So hold off on the “full of krap” observations just now. Unless a $10 reduction in price on a AAA is not to your liking.

Tim Sweeney is certainly welcome to his opinion, however, I'm not buying any of what he's selling - literally and figuratively. I have never, and will never, buy anything from Epic.
It’s up to you, but you only have one life and in the blink of an eye, you’re old. I’d rather enjoy myself than nurse an anger ulcer.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Exclusives work....

until you run out of exclusives, then ur f***ed and have to sell the whole thing to Netflix.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
He conveniently leaves out the fact that Steam gives game developers free steam keys to their games so they can be sold at other storefronts.

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
the unfortunate truth is that most people playing games won't see past "muh exclusives on Epic is evil, but on Steam they're good" the hypocrisy they spout, because they've never worked as a game developer, so regardless of how many times Tim tries to explain why this is a good thing (and I agree with him, in order to break the status quo you've got to do something drastic, which funnily enough has already resulted in SOME actions taken by valve in an effort to make fanboys stay on Steam) it will always amount to the same reaction: "ree you are evil because you offer devs/publishers a better business deal than Steam does and they choose to publish their games on your platform rather than on my favorite platform (Steam)! ree!"

tons of respect towards Tim for trying to break the status quo, as a game dev I completely support what he's trying to do in bringing the 30% cut-per-sale down to a more reasonable cut, since if Steam was to take 20% instead of 30% per sale, then developing additional content for my game would have been less of a problem (in the past), seeing as the sales back then were rather weak.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
He conveniently leaves out the fact that Steam gives game developers free steam keys to their games so they can be sold at other storefronts.
Are you meaning Humble, for instance? If so, I also see the EGS symbol now on games there (as well as GOG), so it surely isn’t particular to Steam. Or am I missing something?

Processor Xeon E3 1230 V2
Motherboard ASRock B75M-ITX
Cooling Corsair H40
Memory 2X8GB 1600MHZ DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX960 4GB
Storage Sandisk 480GB SSD plus a few HDDs
Display(s) Dell UP2516D
Case Cubitek Mini-Cube
Power Supply Corsair SF 450
Mouse Logitech G15
Keyboard Cooler Master Quick Fire TK
the unfortunate truth is that most people playing games won't see past "muh exclusives on Epic is evil, but on Steam they're good" the hypocrisy they spout, because they've never worked as a game developer, so regardless of how many times Tim tries to explain why this is a good thing (and I agree with him, in order to break the status quo you've got to do something drastic, which funnily enough has already resulted in SOME actions taken by valve in an effort to make fanboys stay on Steam) it will always amount to the same reaction: "ree you are evil because you offer devs/publishers a better business deal than Steam does and they choose to publish their games on your platform rather than on my favorite platform (Steam)! ree!"

tons of respect towards Tim for trying to break the status quo, as a game dev I completely support what he's trying to do in bringing the 30% cut-per-sale down to a more reasonable cut, since if Steam was to take 20% instead of 30% per sale, then developing additional content for my game would have been less of a problem (in the past), seeing as the sales back then were rather weak.

So basically you are going REEEEEEEEEE! if anyone does not agree with your viewpoint they are a fanboi and they are evil. You sound like a snowflake.

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
So basically you are going REEEEEEEEEE! if anyone does not agree with your viewpoint they are a fanboi and they are evil. You sound like a snowflake.
most people that are against Epic having exclusives are Steam fanboys, yes. it's really obvious considering that they have emotional attachment to their accounts due to financial reasons (bought games/trading cards/etc. on Steam), and Steam profile-related things (such as the pointless Steam level). looks like valve knew what they were doing when they added those user profile levels, it's paying off big time for them now when there is some competition lol

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
most people that are against Epic having exclusives are Steam fanboys, yes. it's really obvious considering that they have emotional attachment to their accounts due to financial reasons (bought games/trading cards/etc. on Steam), and Steam profile-related things (such as the pointless Steam level). looks like valve knew what they were doing when they added those user profile levels, it's paying off big time for them now when there is some competition lol

But there has been online store competition since 2008 from GOG and 2011 from Origin. There is also UPlay and the MS Store. EGS is just another player in the mix. If you recall EA made a similar claim that it wanted their store to match Steams as well as Sweeney making that claim when he started EGS. People screamed bloody murder when Origin started up because EA was making some of their Published games exclusive to Origin and not putting them on Steam but what EGS is doing is not a direct comparison because Epic is paying other Publishers to make their games exclusive to EGS most of which are timed exclusives. Most people don't like games being exclusive to any store but even Steam does this with their Valve Published games.

Competition will only result in a better outcome for the consumer.

If you weren't around for Steam when it first launched, it had plenty of issues and they've just had a lot of time to sort it out and make it better. When EGS has been around as long as Steam, it will also be just as user friendly and offer just as many of the things users want that Steam has to offer.

Basically it comes down to human emotion, bias, and attachment when you argue about any storefront; where that comes in for me is Origin, I absolutely despise it and have foregone all of my game purchases there because I cannot stand EA and their horrible excuse for a storefront/launcher, and just their practices in general; I prefer to buy things on GOG when possible, mostly for being DRM free and being able to play the games at any time I want and on any system I want to play them on without the need for constant connectivity.

I've been with Steam since the beginning, and while I really am not a fan of the EGS as it is now, I welcome the competition it brings to other services to improve the industry and practices (changing/breaking the status quo).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The thing with Sweeney is that he makes statements that are not common knowledge like, "The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the Developer that made the game." But where is the proof?
He literally talks to developers day in and day out...

A lot of these, "Publisher" includes developer. A lot are exclusively developer (excludes publisher/distribution/taxes/etc.). "Shop" would be like Steam.

2006 example:

2010 example:

2011 example:

2012 example:

2016 indie example (Gratitous Space Battles):

Last edited:
Processor Xeon E3 1230 V2
Motherboard ASRock B75M-ITX
Cooling Corsair H40
Memory 2X8GB 1600MHZ DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX960 4GB
Storage Sandisk 480GB SSD plus a few HDDs
Display(s) Dell UP2516D
Case Cubitek Mini-Cube
Power Supply Corsair SF 450
Mouse Logitech G15
Keyboard Cooler Master Quick Fire TK

So then the other lot will call out those calling them fanbois as Epic fanbois?? Seriously its kind of funny. I remember being called an anti-Steam fanboi when it came out over a decade ago,as I didn't really like the whole concept of it,especially to play a single player game like Half Life 2 which wasn't online. Reading about this I do see why some people have gotten annoyed with the Epic store,it does not support Linux yet,regional pricing can be quite wonky,and I was shocked to hear China does not have the store. I think these are fair criticisms,because in the end if Epic store is to improve then people need to give feedback,the same as Valve needs as much criticism too,since it frankly CBA making new games,and seems content to sit on its arse all day.

However the Epic CEO,isn't as genuine as you might think he is. He wrote a hit piece on Microsoft when they opened their games store:

Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.
Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

Microsoft has certainly followed this lead in technically exposing, but practically burying, options that let users escape from its force-bundled services. If you’ve tried to change your Windows 10 search engine, web browser, or movie player, or to turn off their invasive new lock-screen ads, Windows search bar Bing spam, and invasive “analytics”, you know what I’m talking about. It’s a deliberately anti-customer experience: the options are there, but good luck finding them.

He goes on about Microsoft trying to lock down games exclusively to their new games store,and of dodgy data collection. But TBH Microsoft would be the kind of competition that could push Valve and he hated it and extolled the virtues of Steam and GOG,who he is at war with now.

Now a few years later our own MPs asked representatives of many games companies to explain themselves:

The Epic chap said they ignore European data collection rules,but a few years ago their own CEO attacked Microsoft for data collection.

Years later Microsoft did exactly zero what he said they would do,and they have introduced things like the XBox Games Pass for PC,which really seem a great alternative,especially for the more casual gamer.

TLDR:I wouldn't trust any of these companies too much,they seem to change the narrative according to what makes them more money.

About the only store I might be a bit of a fan is GOG,as at least they are rescuing old games,removing DRM,etc and CDPR seems like one of the few genuine games companies left.

But seeing what happened to Bioware,I shouldn't expect too much in the future.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
I'm not a "dedicated Steam gamer", but I just can't touch Epic, the past 6 months has just been Sweeney digging the hole deeper and deeper, with the Mega Sale being the only highlight. Fortunately for me Outer Worlds is on the Microsoft Store and is supposed to be in the Game Pass day one, I think, and with the MCC coming to Steam, I will be able to play the games I have my eye on, though at some point I need to create a GOG account so I can pre-order Cyperpunk 2077.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
People screamed bloody murder when Origin started up because EA was making some of their Published games exclusive to Origin and not putting them on Steam
I remember the huuuuge outcry that ME3 was going to only be on the new store Origin. (Or was it ME2?).

Regardless, the people screamed bloody murder, swore they wouldn’t finish the ME series. Um, yeah.....that was exactly what people ended up NOT doing eventually, when they realized their anger was not going to get them the ability to play ME3.

It remains to this day solely on Origin, and controversy of its ending aside, a game with extremely large sales numbers.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Welll its made steams summer sale a bit shit this year so hopefully, Tims long play of better for everyone is right:p

well in the case of epic and their first exclusive metro I got it on xbox beta, see buyers choice.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
EA pulled DAII and Crysis 2 from Steam so they could sale them on Origin, claiming they didn't like a stipulation in the contract with Steam involving DLC's, if I recall correctly.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I remember the huuuuge outcry that ME3 was going to only be on the new store Origin. (Or was it ME2?).

Regardless, the people screamed bloody murder, swore they wouldn’t finish the ME series. Um, yeah.....that was exactly what people ended up NOT doing eventually, when they realized their anger was not going to get them the ability to play ME3.

There is sometimes a disconnect between what people say they are going to do on forums and what they actually do. I suspect quite a few people who are railing against EGS probably got an account there anyway just to play the present exclusives and future exclusives.

EA pulled DAII and Crysis 2 from Steam so they could sale them on Origin, claiming they didn't like a stipulation in the contract with Steam involving DLC's, if I recall correctly.

EA did eventually put ME2 back on Steam.