• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Patent Shines Raytraced Light on Post-Navi Plans

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
An AMD patent may have just shown the company's hand when it comes to its interpretation of raytracing implementation on graphics cards. The patent, titled "Texture Processor Based Ray Tracing Acceleration Method and System", describes a hybrid, software-hardware approach to raytracing. AMD says this approach improves upon solely hardware-based solutions:

"The hybrid approach (doing fixed function acceleration for a single node of the bounded volume hierarchy (BVH) tree and using a shader unit to schedule the processing) addresses the issues with solely hardware based and/or solely software based solutions. Flexibility is preserved since the shader unit can still control the overall calculation and can bypass the fixed function hardware where needed and still get the performance advantage of the fixed function hardware. In addition, by utilizing the texture processor infrastructure, large buffers for ray storage and BVH caching are eliminated that are typically required in a hardware raytracing solution as the existing vector general purpose register (VGPRs) and texture cache can be used in its place, which substantially saves area and complexity of the hardware solution."

Essentially, AMD will be introducing what it calls a "fixed function ray intersection engine", which is specialized hardware that only handles BVH intersection (processing BVH calculations in a stream processor solely via a software solution isn't a pretty option, since execution divergence means that a number of error corrections are required, which makes the process time and resource-intensive). This fixed function hardware (which is nothing like NVIDIA's RT cores and is much simpler) is added in parallel to the texture filter pipeline in GPU's texture processor.

The idea is that the fixed-function raytracing hardware can now use the texture system's already existing memory buffers instead of having to store raytracing-specific data locally, which adds to die area and chip complexity. Additionally, since there is no software to allocate resources and schedule work for the fixed-function hardware, pure hardware solutions require an additional hardware scheduler only for RT-specific workloads, which AMD claims its implementation bypasses - the shader processor sends raytracing data down the texture processing path for the fixed-function hardware to process, saving even more die space that would be used in a "classical" hardware solution.

It's pretty well-known that both Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles will support raytracing, and will be AMD Navi-based in nature. It's likely these custom chips have some more of the special dust from AMD's RDNA architecture (which is only sprinkled on consumer, PC-level Navi), and these special components certainly pertain (even if not completely) to both consoles' raytracing capabilities. While the patent has been submitted a year and a half ago, this is the time to reap fruits from such a hybrid design; Some highlights on AMD's approach that have been taken from the paper can be seen below, but if you fancy a read of the whole patent, follow the source link.

The system includes a shader, texture processor (TP) and cache, which are interconnected. The TP includes a texture address unit (TA), a texture cache processor (TCP), a filter pipeline unit and a ray intersection engine. The shader sends a texture instruction which contains ray data and a pointer to a bounded volume hierarchy (BVH) node to the TA. The TCP uses an address provided by the TA to fetch BVH node data from the cache. The ray intersection engine performs ray-BVH node type intersection testing using the ray data and the BVH node data. The intersection testing results and indications for BVH traversal are returned to the shader via a texture data return path. The shader reviews the intersection results and the indications to decide how to traverse to the next BVH node.

(...)

A texture processor based ray tracing acceleration method and system are described herein. A fixed function BVH intersection testing and traversal (a common and expensive operation in ray tracers) logic is implemented on texture processors. This enables the performance and power efficiency of the ray tracing to be substantially improved without expanding high area and effort costs. High bandwidth paths within the texture processor and shader units that are used for texture processing are reused for BVH intersection testing and traversal. In general, a texture processor receives an instruction from the shader unit that includes ray data and BVH node pointer information. The texture processor fetches the BVH node data from memory using, for example, 16 double word (DW) block loads. The texture processor performs four ray-box intersections and children sorting for box nodes and 1 ray-triangle intersection for triangle nodes. The intersection results are returned to the shader unit.

In particular, a fixed function ray intersection engine is added in parallel to a texture filter pipeline in a texture processor. This enables the shader unit to issue a texture instruction which contains the ray data (ray origin and ray direction) and a pointer to the BVH node in the BVH tree. The texture processor can fetch the BVH node data from memory and supply both the data from the BVH node and the ray data to the fixed function ray intersection engine. The ray intersection engine looks at the data for the BVH node and determines whether it needs to do ray-box intersection or ray-triangle intersection testing. The ray intersection engine configures its ALUs or compute units accordingly and passes the ray data and BVH node data through the configured internal ALUs or compute units to calculate the intersection results. Based on the results of the intersection testing, a state machine determines how the shader unit should advance its internal stack (traversal stack) and traverse the BVH tree. The state machine can be fixed function or programmable. The intersection testing results and/or a list of node pointers which need to be traversed next (in the order they need to be traversed) are returned to the shader unit using the texture data return path. The shader unit reviews the results of the intersection and the indications received to decide how to traverse to the next node in the BVH tree.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
There we go.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
This fixed function hardware (which is nothing like NVIDIA's RT cores and is much simpler)
As far as we know RT Cores in Nvidia hardware do BVH traversal and ray-intersection testing. AMD's patent describes their approach in more detail but both seem to be doing roughly the same thing. Care to highlight the differences in respective implementations?

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
As far as we know RT Cores in Nvidia hardware do BVH traversal and ray-intersection testing. AMD's patent describes their approach in more detail but both seem to be doing roughly the same thing. Care to highlight the differences in respective implementations?

Possibly the absence of a (dedicated) scheduler?

I'm also not reading much akin to denoising and/or firing thousands of rays.

If I were an AMD fan I would skip the Radeon RX 5XXX generation altogether since AMD is again dedicating most of its resources to next-gen MS/Sony consoles with HW accelerated Ray Tracing while gamers will receive half-baked products which will be rendered obsolete less than a year from now.

I'm not saying NVIDIA RTX is worth buying - I'm saying if you can wait, do wait. In a year from now we'll have proper RDNA (2.0?) for PC and Turing Refresh/Ampere on 7nm.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If I were an AMD fan I would skip the Radeon RX 5XXX generation altogether since AMD is again dedicating most of its resources on next-gen MS/Sony consoles with HW accelerated Ray Tracing while gamers will receive half-baked products which will be rendered obsolete less than a year from now.

I'm not saying NVIDIA RTX is worth buying - I'm saying if you can wait, do wait. In a year from now we'll have proper RDNA (2.0?) for PC and Turing Refresh/Ampere on 7nm.

yep I agree

If I were an AMD fan I would skip the Radeon RX 5XXX generation altogether since AMD is again dedicating most of its resources on next-gen MS/Sony consoles with HW accelerated Ray Tracing while gamers will receive half-baked products which will be rendered obsolete less than a year from now.

Not worth it. RT RT requires way too much power with current methods. 1spp with 15% (Low)-40% (ultra) scaling at best with ray cap and having to use a denoiser to clean it up.

You'll be waiting a lot for GPU archs to be decent at RT RT and have them implemented meaningfully. Probably be 10yrs+ before they even improve fidelity in the most minor way and go to 16spp.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
This ray tracing is FAKE! you want to feel REAL ? here you hear :
In 2001 , Alias-Wavefront announced Maya 4.along with Maya 4 , There was add-on and It was Metal ray which later bought by NVIDIA.I was quite interested in Mental ray rendering.I did draw some geometry and rendered in Mental ray.I was like wow, my god.it was damn beautiful.after 18 years , I saw first ray tracing tech in BF/Metro Exodus , I didn't feel exactly like Ray tracing in 18 years ago.You want it ? allright Feel like this :

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
If I were an AMD fan I would skip the Radeon RX 5XXX generation altogether since AMD is again dedicating most of its resources to next-gen MS/Sony consoles with HW accelerated Ray Tracing while gamers will receive half-baked products which will be rendered obsolete less than a year from now.

yeah but imagine if you wait another year! you would get even better more capable stuff!

apart form that, Ill admit I dont really understand much of this, but would it not be better to like, not entirely file a patent on this?
If you want this to become the norm you dont want the competition excluded but rather included so everyone can jump on this solution and R&D the heck out of it instead of both pursuing their own ideas with game developers haveing to choose between the 2 (cough PhysX cough)

or is this merely a case of developers implementing ray tracing and both companies just rendering that in their own way?

This ray tracing is FAKE! you want to feel REAL ? here you hear :
In 2001 , Alias-Wavefront announced Maya 4.along with Maya 4 , There was add-on and It was Metal ray which later bought by NVIDIA.I was quite interested in Mental ray rendering.I did draw some geometry and rendered in Mental ray.I was like wow, my god.it was damn beautiful.after 18 years , I saw first ray tracing tech in BF/Metro Exodus , I didn't feel exactly like Ray tracing in 18 years ago.You want it ?

ermm yeah, its cutting corners, hence the big fat De-noiser.
Its pretty common knowledge we have had ray tracing/global illumination for forever now and it has been used in 3D art, the problem is and has always been rendering it out in real time.
Heck normal games have their high res resources "baked" into much lower quality files purely to make it possible for GPU's to run the damn thing, its all about cutting corners so the hardware can deal with it.

Juankato1987

I just have one Doubt, a pretty big question, if I'm able to do it,
Why Sony/Microsoft keep using AMD gpu's, when from my POV NVidia has the upper hand
in Power Efficiency and Performance, I mean Sony could use GP106 to carve PS4 Pro, and get
better power management, and at same time more perfomance. I've heard of PS4 PRO GPU
to be at level of RX 470, wichi has same TDP with GTX 1060, and there is a huge diference.

P.D. All I can imagine to keep on AMD is backwards compatibility.

P.D. P.D. Sorry if this is not the place to make this kind of questions.

Why Sony/Microsoft keep using AMD gpu's, when from my POV NVidia has the upper hand
in Power Efficiency and Performance, I mean Sony could use GP106 to carve PS4 Pro, and get
better power management, and at same time more perfomance. I've heard of PS4 PRO GPU
to be at level of RX 470, wichi has same TDP with GTX 1060, and there is a huge diference.

View attachment 126022

I'd say cost. Nvidia probably charge too much for a custom GPU. That's just a guess.

View attachment 126022

Because nVidia can't provide an x86 SoC to accompany the GPU, and they especially can't for the same prices.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yeah Intel and AMD want a huge slice of the GPU and CPU pie, but equally they would rather not share their x86 duopoly with anyone else.

Juankato1987

Because nVidia can't provide an x86 SoC to accompany the GPU, and they especially can't for the same prices.
Didn'nt come to my mind that point, and a very important one.
Because consoles uses SOC, and Nvidia only SOC is Tegra with ARM.
Thanks for your answer.

Didn'nt come to my mind that point, and a very important one.
Because consoles uses SOC, and Nvidia only SOC is Tegra with ARM.
Thanks for your answer.

The SOC isn't the only reason they all go with AMD. One of the biggest reasons, is both companies (Sony and MS) past experiences with Nvidia in the console space. Sony used Nvidia in the PS3 and MS used them in the original Xbox. I believe in both instances, Nvidia sold essentially off the shelf designs (some tweaking, but not much) to both companies. Also Nvidia retained all the ip to the designs, meaning that Nvidia got to choose how and when to shrink the chips. This is in contrast to AMD, who sells or licenses the IP to the console maker. They can work on shrinking the chips.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Rt cores have their own scheduler and cache like a separate coprocessor , Amd has tighter integration planned , likely less powerful then nvidias brute force technology though but well see ,I mean how many texture mapping units is typically used /144.
No where near nvidias Rt core count.

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
nv does RTRT: the world: rt is stupid and a waste of die space. amd does rtrt: the world: such innovation, well done. lets not forget people that amscum have put there raster cards at NVs RTRT pricing, 10 bucks says amd will price there rtrt cards even higher

nv does RTRT: the world: rt is stupid and a waste of die space. amd does rtrt: the world: such innovation, well done. lets not forget people that amscum have put there raster cards at NVs RTRT pricing, 10 bucks says amd will price there rtrt cards even higher
I'm waiting for a card with built in RnT ;)

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

Starting with this gen backwards compatibility is achieved via software (VM) instead of hardware.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
AMD will continue to get console design wins until the competition can produce something similar. Nvidia can produce a good GPU and Intel can make a good CPU, but neither can make a good APU. MS and Sony don’t want to contract two companies when one can do the job, especially when that company is perfectly willing to accommodate custom orders.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Lol, so what about all those that suddenly cares about RTRT on 2060 tier cards that are too slow to run games with RTRT properly anyway?
Last time I heard, there are plenty of people that are upset with first gen Navi not supporting RTRT, while have no idea what kind of processing power RTRT requires.

Last edited:
System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro

It's is kind of like the chicken and egg problem. Until game developers and game engines catch up to hybrid render RT, it is a waste of die space does not matter if it comes from NV or AMD. That "wasted" die space on RT logic currently can barely produce enjoyable framerates without the blurry mess of DLSS.

What we currently have from nVIDIA is the first generation dedicated hardware with not enough horsepower to drive RT properly while also not having any decent use case of RT in games. Cause what we have seen so far is either only reflections that are not really much better compared to screenspace reflections that are done proper, or doing shadows with it in which case it mostly just looks like over-glorified ambient occlusion, while also tanking performance.

I would like to also ask a favor from those whom are commenting here. Please choose your words and be polite... don't call people scum and idiots, this is not the wccftech comment section and we would like to keep it that way.