• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom-design RX 5700 XT to Start at $399: PowerColor

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD's add-in board (AIB) partners are preparing to launch custom-design Radeon RX 5700-series graphics cards leading up to mid-August, 2019. Although it wouldn't take dates, PowerColor revealed that its custom-design Radeon RX 5700 XT cards would start at USD $399. This is the same price at which all AIB partners sell AMD's reference-design RX 5700 XT.

PowerColor's parent company, TUL, has designed custom-design Radeon graphics cards for recent entrant ASRock. It's fairly possible that PowerColor's $399 RX 5700 XT will bear physical resemblance to ASRock's RX 5700 XT Challenger with differences in the form of color-scheme, cooler shroud, and decal designs. Nearly all AIB partners could have custom-design RX 5700 XT cards starting at $399, but innovating pricier, beefier premium designs that have superior cooling solutions, such as the ASRock Taichi. It will be very interesting to see what factory-overclocked speeds they ship with.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Growle

Well that's definitely good news. I'm sure there will be more expensive versions, but being able to ditch the blower for the same price is a big plus imo.

" It will be very interesting to see what factory-overclocked speeds they ship with"

My guess; minor overclocking with better-than-referens thermals and noise for the 399$ models. The models that would cost more will be 5-10% faster and may reach 1080ti-2070S for much better price.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
In other words, these cards will be what AMD should have launched with. Instead of embarrassing themselves every new GPU launch with terrible blowers, why doesn't AMD partner with an OEM to produce a decent reference design?

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Well they better. Because any more expensive, these cards do not make sense. I would put as much daylight between 5700 XT aftermarket cards and a reference 2070 Super as possible, as that is not a flattering comparison. Even the 2060 Super will give pause to anyone that considers RTRT as a needed feature for next-gen multiplatform games, but if you have some 5700 XT's out there with quiet coolers at $420 max, it may peel off enough people for AMD to actually sell some of these cards.

I find it very interesting that Nvidia's catch-up products launched a few days later but with actual aftermarket cards already available, while the 5700's did technically launch earlier, but no one in their right mind is going to jump on a blower cooler. It's a shame, if AMD had enough stock and enough decent cards to make a push in July, they could have snatched up quite a few sales. At this point, the dust has already settled and anyone that was trying to get one of the new cards ASAP are already enjoying their Nvidia card. Hopefully they don't screw up the 5800 launch.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Well they better. Because any more expensive, these cards do not make sense. I would put as much daylight between 5700 XT aftermarket cards and a reference 2070 Super as possible, as that is not a flattering comparison. Even the 2060 Super will give pause to anyone that considers RTRT as a needed feature for next-gen multiplatform games, but if you have some 5700 XT's out there with quiet coolers at $420 max, it may peel off enough people for AMD to actually sell some of these cards.

I find it very interesting that Nvidia's catch-up products launched a few days later but with actual aftermarket cards already available, while the 5700's did technically launch earlier, but no one in their right mind is going to jump on a blower cooler. It's a shame, if AMD had enough stock and enough decent cards to make a push in July, they could have snatched up quite a few sales. At this point, the dust has already settled and anyone that was trying to get one of the new cards ASAP are already enjoying their Nvidia card. Hopefully they don't screw up the 5800 launch.
The case for RTRT, don't expect the current gen RTX cards to perform any better in next-gen games.
It will just be extra eye candy for screenshots, which the Pascal cards can now do anyways.
Also it really isn't hard for AIBs to make non-reference Super cards given they are physically the same as existing designs.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Well Powercolor is the off brand of graphic cards with unique design and that's why they cost $$$

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Remember when they were sold as TUL...
They've kinda always been lower low end.
Is Powercolor really that bad?
I mean their Vega Red Devils managed to keep the card under 70C in Furmark.
It ran cooler than the XFX RX480 GTR I had, that is for sure.

Nkd

In other words, these cards will be what AMD should have launched with. Instead of embarrassing themselves every new GPU launch with terrible blowers, why doesn't AMD partner with an OEM to produce a decent reference design?

its been said a million times. AMD probably doesn't want to compete with partner cards for reference designs as they need the business due to amd being underdog. AMD might in the future go straight with AIB designs and is considering that per reddit post because of user feedback. But I don't see them launching a reference of their own with custom cooler. So next time you might see straight launch with after market designs.

AMD is already partnered with OEMs to make better coolers. AMD has been using 2-3 fan direct-air reference coolers in their labs since 2013, but those cost more money than blowers and basically put the AIBs out of a job. The Tonga, Grenada, Fiji, and Vega samples all had direct air reference coolers that AIBs were given as the bar to beat.

Also don't be so quick to forget the complete disappointment from the enthusiast crowd when AMD shipped the Fury X with a CLC water cooler. Cool, quiet, and already pushing the power budget. None of the AIBs could do anything with that but slap a sticker on it and include some games/promo codes.

Last edited:

techmagnet

With high cost of manufacturing 7nm node putting a costly cooler on it would add cost on the msrp. NVIDIA put eyes pleasing with coolers their FE cards due to low cost of manufacturing 14nm node and yet they sold it more expensive on top of that NVIDIA AIB partners put ridiculous fancy fans and coolers making it super expensive and out of reach for most consumers.

D

Deleted member 67555

No... But it is what it is.
They just generally aren't great... Not garbage by any means... Just not great.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
No... But it is what it is.
They just generally aren't great... Not garbage by any means... Just not great.

Seem to be pretty well built, better than asus/gigabyte

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Remember when they were sold as TUL...
They've kinda always been lower low end.
Powercolor's cards are great. I know cause I got one. Low of the low end. What a ruse. :)
As a matter of fact. I got V64 Red Devil from powercolor. It is really great. Nowadays, none of the AIB's produce low end cards for the mid segment. They can be better or less attractive but they are very good in general. You can see same in the motherboard department. AsRock was considered low end crap and now it is really good mobo producer. Same goes with graphics cards.
You have YouTube reviews with the V56 and 64 by Gamers Nexus. Red devil cards teardown. Go and look. Buildzoid also did something in that regard so go and look what Powercolor has to offer.
I got V64 Red Devil and it runs like crazy temps never go beyond 70 but that's after swapping thermal pads and grease but still. Not to mentioned I'm still running my CPU with air cooler. Got to install that water I bought few days ago. :)

As far as I remember, NV reference models are the same except for the RTX .

So you think somebody wants to play a game on FHD with 40-60 average and 25-30 minimums with a $400 card?

"as a needed feature for next-gen multiplatform games"

Wut? And by the time of next-gen multiplatform games, a more capable RT card will be out.

Last edited:
PowerColor has come a long way, they been doing great cards, their Red Devil models are on par to the Sapphire Nitro+, I know because I actually had both on the 580's.
The Red Devil ran at same temperature as the nitro but actually quiet! Both overclocked about the same.. Liked so much that my next card was the Vega 56 Red Devil... what a beast of a card.

I'm pretty sure that all these people that posted that PowerColor is low end, never had a card from them...

Obviously brands have lower end models that are budget and meant to be priced lower which means you can't expect much premium.
Heck even Asus messed up on the Z390 line up, and no one says they are low end right?

icu

I was wondering are they gonna have the fans to setup on your own card if you already have the rx 5700 or xt version or you have to buy the hole custom card

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I was wondering are they gonna have the fans to setup on your own card if you already have the rx 5700 or xt version or you have to buy the hole custom card

Aib is Aib if you want custom cooling on the blower cards you need a search for air or water cooling

From what I see so far, I don't think so .. st least in the sense of what we typically think of as AIB.

I have looked at a few of these announmcements and, unless I glossed over something, these are basically similar to EVGA SC or EVGA Black type cards. None of the announcements have referenced a custom PCB, beefier VRMs, faster memory or anything else that would suggest better performance. It would seem that the "custom" refers only to a better cooler. This should certainly take the edge off the +16C and double noise compared to AIB 2070s. I'm sure that they we will run cooler and quieter, perhaps even cutting those numbers in half.

However, as the reference cards are not being thermally limited in any way, I don't see anything that's to be gained performance wise. Am I missing something ?

Still if they can cut the sound and thermal differences at least in half, what we are basically seeing is a price cut AMD easting the extra cost associated with the AIB 5700XT's at $400 and the AIB 2070s at $430 - $450.

Feel bad for the folks who just installed their $400 blower cards while folks who chose to wait and not jump on the bleeding edge will be getting a card of substantially more value.

I was a bit confused about the XBox 3 month pass thing as a combo ($45 value ?) on a PC GFX card .... is an XBox pass of any value to a PC gamer ? What about the games ?

AMD offers Devil May Cry 5 with a $40 *value* assigned to it .... and nVidia is offering an $89 combo of Control One and Wolfenstein Youngblood for a supposed $90 value. being unfamiliar with all. curious as to how folks see the relative value of these offerings.

Last edited: