• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD CEO Lisa Su: "CrossFire Isn't a Significant Focus"

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Multiadapter was supposed to be able to make it easy for developers to utilize multiple gpu's any gpu even integrated all at the same time. apparently MS didn't make it easy enough though because no one used it.

It could be easy as heck but you seem to be missing the point that developers have absolutely no reason to spend a dime on it. They are already complaining about money and crunch.

if you were in their shoes dealing with budget and crunch woes, would you create more work for yourself for the whole two people in the world that use crossfire? That will give you absolutely zero returns?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Both mGPU techs have gone the way of the dodo. Good riddance. :)

When it works scaling was always meh with maybe 50-70% average. Few better, more worse or none at all. Only if it is a NEED, say 4K with mid-range tier cards, can I see it being worthwhile.

In the words of Elsa....LET IT GO... LET IT GO! CANT HOLD IT BACK ANY MORE!!!!! :p

But but b...I can buy two cheap gpus to make a midrange card.... stooooooooopit..lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Back when the GTX 280 was king I played with TRI-SLI for a while and it was fun to play around with, but the buzz almost came from putting one GTX 280 in... then another... THEN ANOTHER.

System Name The Sentinel Reloaded
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240
Memory 24GB Patriot Viper (2X8) + HyperX Predator 16GB (2X4) DDR4-3000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4GB Nitro+
Storage WD Μ.2 Black NVME 500Gb, Seagate Barracuda 500GB (2.5"), Seagate Firecuda 2TB (2.5")
Display(s) LG 29UM59-P
Case Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex II 80 Plus Gold 1000W Black
Mouse Logitech Marathon M705
Keyboard Logitech K330
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Beyond this Galaxy!
It reminds me .. single core CPUs, then 2 cores.. now 32.. OK I know it is not the same with GPUs, but it all comes down to the right technology implementation, to start the dual GPU core magic!!!
;)

You might be right as you no longer need a bridge connection to enable crossfire on AM4 or X399 boards. And just about all of them have crossfire support written on the box.

You no longer need a bridge connection because AMD gaming GPUs use a XDMA engine in-die to communicate over PCIe. Each GPU can access the other's memory directly. It's been this way since Hawaii (R9 290X) after AMD's frametimes were shown to be abysmal in previous Crossfire. Once this is removed in hardware, Crossfire support can no longer be enabled (Radeon VII and 5700/XT).

Radeon Instinct MI50 and MI60 need a bridge for Infinity Fabric Link to support high-bandwidth transfers (200GB/s+).

I run 2 Vega64s in CF and it's mostly fine. Newer driver features like Enhanced Sync or even Freesync cause stuttering though, so as long as you know about the limitations, it's okay. Using ReLive during Crossfire gameplay also reduces performance as it triggers adaptive GPU clocking, which is normally disabled in Crossfire to maximize XDMA performance.

Drivers after 19.7.1 have Crossfire profiles missing too.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It could be easy as heck but you seem to be missing the point that developers have absolutely no reason to spend a dime on it. They are already complaining about money and crunch.

if you were in their shoes dealing with budget and crunch woes, would you create more work for yourself for the whole two people in the world that use crossfire? That will give you absolutely zero returns?

If it was easy as heck then the free markets would supply an employee that can do it rather cheaply or subsidized by M$. Similar to how Nvidia sends some of its engineers to game studios to help them out from time to time. So it must not be all that important to M$ besides a pretty headline 4 years ago. /shrug

Any other thoughts captain?

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I couldn't care less about CF or SLI.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
R9 290 CF user here. Not my first multi-GPU setup, but when it works, second card gives a nice boost. I'd say that the thermals are the worst problem (only one card is watercooled).

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Dual GPU has been dead since 290x. Devs don't care. They can't even release a game without a day one 15GB patch. It's all a joke just like gaming in general, today. AAA titles are crap, microtransactions (along with pay2win), sold on lies, etc.

Remember when gaming was good? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yeah, sadly the modern consoles are weak. Hence the whole industry is being held back.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 32 GB Team Xtreme DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 7900 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600/2 TB Intel 660p
Display(s) 31.5" Acer ED323QUR
Case Corsair Carbide 500R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 GT
Mouse Havit HV-MS735
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy Graphics 26359 CPU 11728 Total 22203
I got into Crossfire with my old HD 4850 setup. It was fun to play with but honestly I spent more doing that then just buying a high end card. I actually had a 4850x2 plus one more 4850 in Crossfire and man that was a heater. I haven't really done Crossfire since. I've found that buying a sub $500 GPU tends to be a more efficient and cost effective way to manage my setup.

Way forward is the way of their cpu's chiplets. Once they do that on gpu's it will be a big step forward.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If it was easy as heck then the free markets would supply an employee that can do it rather cheaply or subsidized by M$. Similar to how Nvidia sends some of its engineers to game studios to help them out from time to time. So it must not be all that important to M$ besides a pretty headline 4 years ago. /shrug

First, what does a free market have to do with anything? Microsoft doesn't care. They make an operating system, a graphics api to go with it, and publish a few games. Again, Microsoft really doesn't stand much to gain either. People already have Windows whether mGPU works or not. They aren't going to make anymore money.

If anyone stands to gain from mGPU it AMD. If mGPU worked well AMD could sell two 580s at a pop so someone could get 2080 performance or two 5700s to get a 2080ti. nVidia probably doesn't care too much about it because they make way more money on 2080+ gpus then they would on the lower cards. I'd wager they make more money on a single 2080S than they do on two 2060S purchases. Probably why they have been slowly raising the bar for the gpus that can do sli - 960, 1070, 2080.

With all that, both of the GPU makers say it isn't worth spending resources developing drivers and helping studios implement mGPU. Why? Because almost no one uses it.

Multiadapter was supposed to be able to make it easy for developers to utilize multiple gpu's any gpu even integrated all at the same time. apparently MS didn't make it easy enough though because no one used it.

From the very article you linked:

"It may be free performance for gamers, but that doesn't mean it's free for developers to implement. As PCPer points out, "Unlinked Explicit Multiadapter is also the bottom of three-tiers of developer hand-holding. You will not see any benefits at all, unless the game developer puts a lot of care in creating a load-balancing algorithm, and even more care in their QA department to make sure it works efficiently across arbitrary configurations."

And:

"Likewise, DirectX12 making it possible for Nvidia and AMD graphics cards to work together doesn't guarantee either company will happily support that functionality. "

You seem to be the only one saying it was easy. The very article pointed out that it wouldn't be easy and that the game developer and hardware driver teams would still have to dedicated resources to it. Just because you decided something should be easy, doesn't mean anyone lied to you, especially when they said that it wouldn't be from the beginning.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
From the very article you linked:

"It may be free performance for gamers, but that doesn't mean it's free for developers to implement. As PCPer points out, "Unlinked Explicit Multiadapter is also the bottom of three-tiers of developer hand-holding. You will not see any benefits at all, unless the game developer puts a lot of care in creating a load-balancing algorithm, and even more care in their QA department to make sure it works efficiently across arbitrary configurations."

And:

"Likewise, DirectX12 making it possible for Nvidia and AMD graphics cards to work together doesn't guarantee either company will happily support that functionality. "

You seem to be the only one saying it was easy. The very article pointed out that it wouldn't be easy and that the game developer and hardware driver teams would still have to dedicated resources to it. Just because you decided something should be easy, doesn't mean anyone lied to you, especially when they said that it wouldn't be from the beginning.

AMD/Nvidia often send their own engineers to game studios to push branded specific features, M$ could have done this as well, they just prefer hoarding their money and resources instead, and talking a lot of crap.

AMD/Nvidia often send their own engineers to game studios to push branded specific features, M$ could have done this as well, they just prefer hoarding their money and resources instead, and talking a lot of crap.

Ok, obviously you have created a narrative for yourself and no amount of facts and proof is going to change your mind.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I would have really liked a world in which hybrid crossfire worked well. Have an APU, add a GPU and that performance is just added on top of the APU performance.

"To be honest, the software is going faster than the hardware, I would say that CrossFire isn't a significant focus"

Isn't that the perfect situation to make multiple GPUs work? I mean if they can't keep up with software's hardware demand with a single card, then "just throw in more".
Since AMD doesn't have a real high-end card it would seem like a good idea to focus on CrossFire, but I guess it's not only their fault. Game developers would need a bit of extra work to make scaling efficient and that's not worth it for them, or either their partner GPU vendor (Which is usually Nvidia with their ****Works)

A dual 5700 XT (or many cheap cards) setup would beat a 2080 TI for much less money in ideal situations and that would make the most expensive card irrelevant.

it has nothing to do with nvidia really. both SLI and CF using same tech called AFR. modern game engine simply did not like how AFR work.

it was supposed to make it more easy but it doesn't mean game developer will suddenly embrace it because it is much easier to do. regardless of being easy or not it still regarded as more extra work. and not many people with such setup. game developer most often already very busy to fix their game post launch. adding multi GPU will add more problems.

It reminds me .. single core CPUs, then 2 cores.. now 32.. OK I know it is not the same with GPUs, but it all comes down to the right technology implementation, to start the dual GPU core magic!!!
;)
lol our GPU already have thousands of cores inside them called shaders.

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
Really ? A single 1080Ti was already achieving 4K/60fps on most games back in 2017 and 2080Ti is definitely achieving well above 60fps in pretty much all games ( unless it's some poorly optimised junk ) !

Maybe you are not up to date with GPU tech ......

You clearly haven't done your research, here is a chart with 2080 ti @4k ultra settings, tell me if those frames are all playable. good luck with that
08232019-100415.jpg

this is the article it is taken from

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
People here railing on MS about DX12 - you really think NVidia or AMD really wants to spend resources to make use of the feature to marry together opposing GPUs? Or game developers?
Be realistic, please.

You clearly haven't done your research, here is a chart with 2080 ti @4k ultra settings, tell me if those frames are all playable. good luck with that

Every single one of those games are playable at those framerates. Rephrase the question to "Is this 4K60 gaming?" and then the answer indeed is no.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
i bought a while ago another hd6950 for CF and was the worst decision ever; i had higher fps with one card than with two in CF..., in newer games which didn't supported it however...

in my opinion CF & SLI is a waste of money especially due higher power consumption, if games don't support these features

System Name future xeon II
Processor DUAL SOCKET xeon e5 2686 v3 , 36c/72t, hacked all cores @3.5ghz, TDP limit hacked
Motherboard asrock rack ep2c612 ws
Cooling case fans,liquid corsair h100iv2 x2
Memory 96 gb ddr4 2133mhz gskill+corsair
Video Card(s) 2x 1080 sc acx3 SLI, @STOCK
Storage Hp ex950 2tb nvme+ adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb nvme+ sata ssd's+ spinners
Display(s) philips 40" bdm4065uc 4k @60
Case silverstone temjin tj07-b
Audio Device(s) sb Z
Power Supply corsair hx1200i
Mouse corsair m95 16 buttons
Keyboard microsoft internet keyboard pro
Software windows 10 x64 1903 ,enterprise
Benchmark Scores fire strike ultra- 10k time spy- 15k cpu z- 400/15000
no, 60hz, and 40 fps is not considered good, when SLI gives you double that or at the very least 50% more.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
To be honest, I always thought that there's a conflit between pushing graphics further, and playing at higher resolution. We haven't even reached the point were 4k gaming is really mainstream, and we are already hearing stuff about 8k gaming...I'm starting to doubt that silicon will ever make 4k60 a reality on mainstream segment, unless we stop pushing better graphics for a while.

no, 60hz, and 40 fps is not considered good, when SLI gives you double that or at the very least 50% more.

That isn't what you asked. You asked if they were all "playable". And yes, every game in that chart was playable at those frame rates. Are they perfect or ideal? No, so turn down the quality settings.