• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

China Starts Production of Domestic DRAM Chips

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
China's semiconductor industry is seeking independence in every sector of its industry, with an emphasis of homemade products for domestic use, especially government facilities, where usage of homegrown products is most desirable. According to the report of China Securities Journal, Chinese firm has started production of DRAM memory.

A company named ChangXin Memory Technology, founded in 2016 to boost domestic silicon production, on Monday started production of DRAM memory, aiming to directly replace the current supply of foreign memory from companies like Micron, SK Hynix and Samsung. Being build using 18 nm technology which ChangXin calls "10-nanometer class" node, this DRAM chip isn't too far behind offers from competitors it tries to replace. Micron, Samsung and SK Hynix use 12, 14, and 16 nm nodes for production of their DRAM chips, so Chinese efforts so far are very good. The company promises to produce around 120.000 wafers per month and plans to deliver first chips by the end of this year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I wonder if other china companies will counterfeit changxin dimms. :laugh:

If you ever tested out aliexpress stuff you know what they do over there.

I got some ddr1 long ago qimonda sticks(infinion) spd says kingston.
BGA DDR1 is real lol

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Thanks, but no, just no.
I'm not interested in any kind of memory products out of China, as they simply can't deliver on quality and reliability.

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Motherboard EVGA Z170 FTW
Cooling EK Custom GPU block + Corsair H60
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) Sapphire Fury X Custome WC
Storage 1x Samsung M.2 128Gb, 1x Intel 256Gb M.2 1x Seagate 500Gb Hybrid
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10

BGA DDR1 is real lol

Kingmax made BGA DDR1

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Thanks, but no, just no.
I'm not interested in any kind of memory products out of China, as they simply can't deliver on quality and reliability.
Same here ,but I will be happy if the surplus of memory in the west pushes prices down.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
Kingmax made BGA DDR1

And DDR3.

My old 2x4 GB 1600 MHz Kingmax NANO rams are still working in H67 intel board with i5-3550s flawlessly.

Thanks, but no, just no.
you live in china? it says for domestic use (that means for china's own use) everything else is made in china..

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
you live in china? it says for domestic use (that means for china's own use) everything else is made in china..
I live in mostly democratic, but mostly unrecognised China. Trust me, these things will make it out of China, their crap always does.
Plenty of crap eMMC in the market already from various dodgy Chinese sources.

Memory manufacturers working together in price syndicate taking competition out of the picture and pushing prices sky high accelerated China's plans to manufacture their own DRAM in a never before seen scale.

China realized they where vulnerable and dependent on foreign memory manufacturers and had to manufacture all their own memory.

So years of greed from memory manufacturers actually woke the dragon and they are now steamrolling in to the DRAM and NAND market.

This is good for consumers and bad for memory manufacturers since they get massive competition from China in the coming years.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Memory manufacturers working together in price syndicate taking competition out of the picture and pushing prices sky high accelerated China's plans to manufacture their own DRAM in a never before seen scale.

China realized they where vulnerable and dependent on foreign memory manufacturers and had to manufacture all their own memory.

So years of greed from memory manufacturers actually woke the dragon and they are now steamrolling in to the DRAM and NAND market.

This is good for consumers and bad for memory manufacturers since they get massive competition from China in the coming years.

Assuming this crap actually really works...
So many things out of China is sub-par quality, which would make this a big no no.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Thanks, but no, just no.

No offense but this kind of comment is really silly to say the least !

1) Those chips are clearly aimed towards domestic applications ( read Chinese government ) so for you to be interested in this kind of memory you need them to be interested to sell those to you which is clearly not the case here !

2) How do you know those memory chips don't meet quality / reliability requirements , especially considering reliability is a key factor when it comes to government applications ?

Resuming this to : '' meh everything produced in China is crap '' is just that .... silly logic ..........

1) Those chips are clearly aimed towards domestic applications ( read Chinese government ) so for you to be interested in this kind of memory you need them to be interested to sell those to you which is clearly not the case here !

2) How do you know those memory chips don't meet quality / reliability requirements , especially considering reliability is a key factor when it comes to government applications ?

Resuming this to : '' meh everything produced in China is crap '' is just that .... silly logic ..........

well as a consumer in asia i can tell you there is alot of crap from china that is counterfeit and worse quality then it should be. Im not sure if they open the factory off hours to produce extra to sell on blackmarket or if it is the defective stuff sold on blackmarket but there is alot, you never got a fake memory card from amazon? Prob made in china! i know i have at least 2x received fakes from amazon made in china that ddidnt pass the fake memory card test program i use.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

1. That might be the case, but they'll be available all over very quickly. Just wait and see.

2. Because I've dealt with far too many substandard Chinese products. Plenty of eMMC and flash coming out of Chinese these days and it's utter crap.

That's not what I said. As long as you have decent managers and quality control, you can get decent stuff made there. However, most things from local companies are just that, utter crap.

As an example, there are plenty of Chinese DRAM module manufacturers that buys what Kingston discards and somehow manages to create products out that. I bet that's great quality DRAM modules...
Obviously this is a bit different, but I simply don't trust the quality.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
well as a consumer in asia i can tell you there is alot of crap from china that is counterfeit and worse quality then it should be. Im not sure if they open the factory off hours to produce extra to sell on blackmarket or if it is the defective stuff sold on blackmarket but there is alot, you never got a fake memory card from amazon? Prob made in china! i know i have at least 2x received fakes from amazon made in china that ddidnt pass the fake memory card test program i use.

1. That might be the case, but they'll be available all over very quickly. Just wait and see.

2. Because I've dealt with far too many substandard Chinese products. Plenty of eMMC and flash coming out of Chinese these days and it's utter crap.

That's not what I said. As long as you have decent managers and quality control, you can get decent stuff made there. However, most things from local companies are just that, utter crap.

As an example, there are plenty of Chinese DRAM module manufacturers that buys what Kingston discards and somehow manages to create products out that. I bet that's great quality DRAM modules...
Obviously this is a bit different, but I simply don't trust the quality.

Obviously there is alot of crap produced in China nobody can denie this but this is not the kind of products this articles talks about so yeah .... i believe there is a BIG difference between the kind of products you are describing and the kind of products this article talks about don't you think ?

There is a difference between alot of crap being produced in China and everything produced in China is crap , that's the point im trying to make here .... Objectively speaking there is no information that could indicate those memory chips won't meet quality/reliability requirements especialy considering the kind of usage those are destined to !

Last edited:
Obviously there is alot of crap produced in China nobody can denie this but this is not the kind of products this articles talks about so yeah .... i believe there is a BIG difference between the kind of products you are describing and the kind of products this article talks about don't you think ?

There is a difference between alot of crap being produced in China and everything produced in China is crap , that's the point im trying to make here .... Objectively speaking there is no information that could indicate those memory chips won't meet quality/reliability requirements especialy considering the kind of usage those are destined to !
just not sure about quality control on china owned / made products, sure there is lots that is great but also lots that are rushed / overworked sloppy workmanship. id love to see a good ddr5 product that i can purchase i would give it a shot and risk counterfeit if purchased from somewhere i can return easily. Certainly wont be buying it from the local street market.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Have YOU actually used any eMMC from China in any product? I take it the answer is no. Based on the quality of their eMMC, I don't have high hopes for their DRAM.
I actually work with a lot of different products and have seen Chinese made memory products and they are, crap. You might save 50 cents, but compared to Kingston or Samsung, there's no competition.

Please don't skip things, you clearly missed the third line in my previous post.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I live in mostly democratic, but mostly unrecognised China. Trust me, these things will make it out of China, their crap always does.
Plenty of crap eMMC in the market already from various dodgy Chinese sources.
Newegg through all the shady side vendors they have nowadays.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
If i may add to the "anti"-china goods, all of the made in china seagate barracuda 7200.11 hdd's failed but not the Thailand ones, at least all of mine...
I try to avoid some made in china goods like the plague...

And ofc eventually this china DRAM will find itself being sold in ebay, Ali, etc and likely will suck too...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Did China kill your parents or something lostweed? You are particularly hateful in this post.

JFC the amount of ignorance in this comment section is just, wow.

Sure go on hating all your "made in china crap" which probably consists of ALL of your PC components AND phone components.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.

BGA DDR1 is real lol

Here's the thing.
If you've tried Corsair products it's often a chinese product designed in china, manufactured in china and rebadged by corsair, nzxt etc.
also you have the worst crap ever.

One of our more high volume manufactures in china makes a lot better quality than anything we found in USA.
we had one not being remotely close and some others that was crap but to say that "all chinese" is crap quality is rather uneducated.

Buying corsair, nzxt etc is like buying a service of a company finding you the good chinese stuff on your behalf.
And yes, I do know they have some in house designed, or modified products.

Lastly on the actual topic, that's what you get when you create export restrictions.. you reduce your supremacy in the market.. great job trump.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did China kill your parents or something lostweed? You are particularly hateful in this post.

JFC the amount of ignorance in this comment section is just, wow.

Sure go on hating all your "made in china crap" which probably consists of ALL of your PC components AND phone components.

Hateful? Sorry, what?
I'm simply stating facts based on experience.

You're actually quite wrong there, most ICs are not made in China, but rather elsewhere, like Taiwan, Korea, the US, Singapore etc. where the foundries are.
The parts might be assembled into a product in China, but most of the products from non Chinese companies are fine, as they have their own QC/QA and they also own the designs.

If you've actually never used a Chinese designed product from a Chinese company, you shouldn't really bother commenting.
I have in fact developed products together with Chinese engineers and trust me, it's not fun. They rather not ask questions and go ahead and make stuff and then you have to go back to the drawing board 3-4 times and explain over and over again why they can't do things they way they did.
I've had situations where I have shown pictures of the type of connector I wanted, the engineer said sure, no problem final boards turn up and they went with a different part which then ended up breaking off the boards, as an example of the kind of "quality" design and workmanship they do.

So yeah, lot of you commenting here with ZERO experience when it comes to working with Chinese companies. I bet most of you haven't even been anywhere close to China.

Here's the thing.
If you've tried Corsair products it's often a chinese product designed in china, manufactured in china and rebadged by corsair, nzxt etc.

One of our more high volume manufactures in china makes a lot better quality than anything we found in USA.
we had one not being remotely close and some others that was crap but to say that "all chinese" is crap quality is rather uneducated.

Buying corsair, nzxt etc is like buying a service of a company finding you the good chinese stuff on your behalf.

Lastly on the actual topic, that's what you get when you create export restrictions.. you reduce your supremacy in the market.. great job trump.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about here. Corsair designs all their products in the US, in Fremont, or in Taiwan.
They might be made in China (some are still made in Taiwan, like DRAM), but again with Corsair QC/QA.
Corsair doesn't re-badge stuff, although a lot of companies do.

Again, I never said the manufacturers were crap, with the right oversight they can clearly make good stuff, it's just that most of them don't, although I know this wasn't directed at me as such.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I have collaborated with engineers and scientisits from China on designing and manufacturing of multiple scientific equipment mostly used in biological research. My experience is the exact the opposite of yours. My peers from China are quite knowledgeable in their respective field and have great attentions to details. I have used "design in China" smart phones like Xiaomi and I found them pretty pleasant to use.

Oh and yeah I have been to China, multiple times for academia conferences.

Do not generalize a whole nation based just your own experience. And one more to the ignore list~

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I have collaborated with engineers and scientisits from China on designing and manufacturing of multiple scientific equipment mostly used in biological research. My experience is the exact the opposite of yours. My peers from China are quite knowledgeable in their respective field and have great attentions to details. I have used "design in China" smart phones like Xiaomi and I found them pretty pleasant to use.

Oh and yeah I have been to China, multiple times for academia conferences.

Do not generalize a whole nation based just your own experience. And one more to the ignore list~

So now you're comparing high level research and development to good old fashioned factory labor for mass production lines?

Sounds about right

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
This must be the stuff on wish.com:roll:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Here's the thing.

Wrong. China been copying other countries for years