• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Announces Tartarus Pro Keypad with Analog Optical Switches

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Razer, the leading global lifestyle brand for gamers, today announced the Razer Tartarus Pro. The newest member of Razer's renowned Tartarus keypad family is the first keypad fitted with analog optical switches designed to provide gamers with superior control in games. The Tartarus Pro is equipped with Razer Analog Optical Switches, enabling the keypad to measure how deep each key is pressed. This allows the Tartarus Pro to emulate analog input similar to controller thumbsticks. Additionally, gamers can adjust the actuation point between 1.5 mm for a faster keystroke, or up to 3.6 mm for a deeper, and more deliberate press.

At the heart of the Razer Analog Optical Switches, an infrared light beam passes through switch stem, while a sensor measures the depth of the switch based on how much light passes through. As such, the switches can register scaling levels of input in the same keystroke. This lets advanced users take advantage of dual-function keys to bind two functions to each key - one that triggers on a partial keystroke, and another on a full keystroke. With dual-function keys, the Razer Tartarus Pro can help ease complex key presses and level up the gaming experience by adapting to the user's playstyle and requirement.

"The Razer Analog Optical Switches advance the keyboard input technology landscape," says Alvin Cheung, Senior Vice President of Razer's Peripherals Business Unit. "The Razer Tartarus Pro opens up various possibilities, such as a greater degree of movement control in FPS and racing games, by introducing analog input previously only available on gamepads to an interface more familiar to PC gamers."

The Tartarus Pro has 32 programmable keys including an eight-way directional thumbpad, which can be assigned for navigation or other commands unique to the user's requirements. The eight quick-toggle profiles allow users to swap between settings or skill loadouts efficiently via a side button that changes profile instantaneously.

A customizable alternative to any keyboard, the analog input from the Tartarus Pro is compatible with all gamepad-supported games without the need for integration.
  • Razer Analog Optical Switches
  • 32 fully programmable keys
  • Secondary function for each key
  • Chroma backlighting with 16.8 million customizable color options
  • Programmable 8-way directional thumb-pad
  • Instantaneous switching between 8 key maps
  • Unlimited macro lengths
  • Razer Synapse enabled
  • Braided fiber cable
  • Unlimited customizable profiles via Razer Synapse
MSRP: $129.99 USD / 149.99€ MSRP
Razer.com - October 24, 2019
Japan - October 24, 2019 for Black and Mercury
Rest of the world - October 24, 2019 for Black; December 2019 for Mercury

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I currently use the Nostromo N5 keypad from Belkin that Razor purchased, they totally messed it up with having the make you use that Synapse software rather than just leaving it alone as the N52 doesn't need it, you control through your computer and memory.
Took a great thing and made it terrible to use in games when it does what it wants not what you want, Tried two Razor keypads and the software ruined it. I;ll stick with my N52. If it;s not broke don;t fix it.

I currently use the Nostromo N5 keypad from Belkin that Razor purchased, they totally messed it up with having the make you use that Synapse software rather than just leaving it alone as the N52 doesn't need it, you control through your computer and memory.
Took a great thing and made it terrible to use in games when it does what it wants not what you want, Tried two Razor keypads and the software ruined it. I;ll stick with my N52. If it;s not broke don;t fix it.

exactly! I bought a couple n52’s as spares when they were on clearance. I refuse to use “cloud based drivers”...

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
exactly! I bought a couple n52’s as spares when they were on clearance. I refuse to use “cloud based drivers”...

Same here, I must have about three n52 models and about two or three of the n50.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Analog keys are cool and all, but I can't help but think that it's an imperfect solution when the real solution is to just add an analog stick. I guess I'm just not as into keyboards for gaming, but my ideal controller setup would be more like a left joycon for movement and a mouse for aiming and shooting. I just think that relying on key position with the usual WASD cluster is not going to be as precise as a good ol' analog stick.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Analog keys are cool and all, but I can't help but think that it's an imperfect solution when the real solution is to just add an analog stick. I guess I'm just not as into keyboards for gaming, but my ideal controller setup would be more like a left joycon for movement and a mouse for aiming and shooting. I just think that relying on key position with the usual WASD cluster is not going to be as precise as a good ol' analog stick.

People tend to get used to one thing or another fairly readily. Once locked into a style of gameplay they are reluctant to chance because doing so is outside of their comfort zone and could cause a temporary decline in performance during the learning curve.

When switching from keyboard to the n50 speed Pad I used the thumb stick for movement. It was awkward at first but I got used to it. Unfortunately I kept breaking the thumb stick because I guess I was too rough with them so I eventually I switched to using the keys on the n50 for movement (which are setup as WASD by default without software).

after a while of using the n50 and later n52 keys for movement there really didn’t seem to be much of an advantage to using the the n50 / n52 unless you wanted to use macros or didn’t have a gaming friendly keyboard to begin with. So I went back to keyboard only.

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
Cooling H100i Cappellix White
Memory Corsair 3600kHz 32GB
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 165mhz, Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD 165mhz
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Power Supply AX1200i Corsair
Mouse Logitech G502x plus lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL lightspeed and G13 gamepad
Software windows 11
There software has to be the most unreliable. It's such a pity as the actual gamepad I found quite good. But there synapse is useless

MrBulos

What do you mean with soft issue?
I had an Orbweaver Chroma and never had soft-related issues, I had other problems though.
Besides with this Tartarus Pro coming out for 150€ don't you think that the product would come with greater structure quality? No built-in memory but to me it doesn't matter much, it's the kind of thing I only use once, when setting up my device.

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Storage Samsung 970 evo 500gb, Corsair 500gb ssd, 500GB 840 pro & 1TB samsung 980pro. M2.SSD 960 evo 250GB
Case Corsair 680x
Audio Device(s) ON Board and Hyper X cloud flight wireless headset and Bose speakers
Software windows 11
Synapse with me has been a absolute nightmare. It would work for like a couple of weeks and then one day just stop working. Hate there software. As I said I like the actual product though, just the software.

MrBulos

Do you own the Tartarus Pro? I'm looking for feedbacks before I consider the product

System Name KOV
Processor AMD 5900x
Video Card(s) RX 7900XT
Case Corsair 680x
Software windows 11