• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Half-Life: Alyx Officially Revealed, Will Release March 2020

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Valve has taken the proverbial wraps off the already-teased, and now revealed, Half Life: Alyx. The latest installment in the Half-Life universe, again, isn't a sequel to the narrative that has been left midway with the ending of Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Instead, it's a prequel of sorts, situated in the 20-year time gap between the original Half-Life and Half-Life 2. It's at this point in the timeline that players will accompany Alyx and her father, Elias, in their fight against the Combine.

Engine-wise, the game will make use of the Source 2 engine, and will be released with accompanying Source 2 tools for worldbuilding, allowing players to design and distribute their own worlds set in this universe. The game will be a single-player, story-driven FPS affair, and will make heavy use of Half-Life's physics interactions. The game is being announced as a full-length game release built from the ground-up for VR - it's not just a VR adventure the development team embarked on, though it did start that way. But let that be for a while: go after the break to watch the game's trailer. I dare you to say this doesn't quite look like your Half-Life dream game.

In an interview with Geoff Keighley, Valve's David Speyrer, Robin Walker and Dario Casali shared some details as to how exactly Half-Life: Alyx came to fruition (it began as an exploration VR game that naturally developed into a Half-Life game with Half-Life models), explained why they chose to develop a prequel to Half-Life 2 instead of taking on the development of a Half-Life 3 (basically, Half-Life 3 has such heavy expectations sen on it that it's just so overwhelming to tackle as a creative project, even if VR is used as a pole around where the entire experience revolves).

They also explained why the game won't have a mouse and keyboard equivalent, as some VR games have shipped with. According to the developers, there are many layers of interaction that VR allows that can't accurately be translated by a mouse and keyboard (that usually happens when there is full body tracking and the player's body is actually rendered into the game, interacting with it in a fully physics-based way, I'd say). The developers talked a while about the simple interaction of opening a door, and in how many ways that can be done in the VR environment: you can push it slightly and peek; you can shove it and spray the entire room with lead; you can open it slightly and throw a grenade. All of these interactions with something as simple as doors meant that for them to be actually translated into a keyboard and mouse game, each would have to be mapped. And we're just talking about ways to interact with doors.

As the game description reads:

"Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.

Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it at a Combine soldier."

Whether or not this is the first VR experience in a new era for the Half-Life universe, we'll have to see; though the developers do say that that will definitely have something to do with the game's reception. Of course, with so little relative players in the VR space, it remains to be seen by what metric the game will be considered a commercial success.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Hmmm....It might just be the trigger, for me, buying a VR thingy....find it interesting - from the trailer to judge (My first game was actually Half-Life running on a ATI Rage 128)

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
Remember this is Valve, Therefore any release dates given should be regarded as complete & utter BS.

Valve should remaster Half Life for modern hardware. Half Life 1 and HL2 with the understanding that there will be a Half Life 3 to make a complete trilogy.

A VR game is what nobody asked for and the take rate is gonna be lower than it would be if it was a regular game.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
The name should be, Half-Life Alyx Search for Half-Life 3 or Fate of Half-Life 3.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This prequel looks pretty cool right now and maybe if there are definite plans to make a Half-Life: Alyx 2 then I am tempted to get a VR set but remember that Valve doesn't do 3's so 2 will be the end of the run unless they do a Half-Life: Alyx 2 Ep1 and a Half-Life: Alyx 2 Ep2 but those will only be expansions.

Valve should remaster Half Life for modern hardware. Half Life 1 and HL2 with the understanding that there will be a Half Life 3 to make a complete trilogy.

A VR game is what nobody asked for and the take rate is gonna be lower than it would be if it was a regular game.

I would just be happy with Valve releasing a HL2 Ep3 to finish the story of Gordon Freeman. Ep2 left us on a cliffhanger and that has lowered my opinion of Newell over the years as it became obvious that he didn't care.

D

Deleted member 67555

So this is a $400+ game...
Since you need VR which I'm sure a vast majority of people like myself do not own.
I think they think their milkshake will bring all the boys the the yard but I'm like noway retard... Lol

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4Ă—32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
I hope it will be a yet an other great game!
Also hoping that all the Source-engine games will receive an update to use the Source 2 engine (eventually)
:toast:

VR is starting to become mainstream and essential for immersion, especially for driving sims that make you feel like you are actually in the car. The Star Wars VR is a must have for space sims. Lucasarts or Disney needs to update all their previous space sims like Tie Fighters and X-wing Alliance. Same with Wing Commander series, Freespace series, and the upcoming Star Citizen.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
I will be picking this up. If it is a full Half-Life story... I am all in!

Since you need VR which I'm sure a vast majority of people like myself do not own.
I think they think their milkshake will bring all the boys the the yard but I'm like noway retard... Lol

*EDIT* DOH! sorry, read into it to much, or maybe hoping and dreaming they were going to not be only VR

maybe read? they said you don't have to have a VR to play

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard AsRock X570M Pro4
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 4 x 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT red 3000C15 @ 3800C16 Micron rev E
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2070 mini
Storage Corsair MP510 1.92TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J592UQU 31.5" UHD + Fujitsu P19-2 19" 1280x1024
Case Jonsbo U3 mATX
Audio Device(s) ATH-M50
Power Supply Corsair SF600 600W SFX [currently RMAed]
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard QPAD MK-50 mechanical
Software Win10Edu_64
More like $1k, since you also need a PC and a monitor or at least a capable laptop. If you want to be a complete idiot about these things.

D

Deleted member 67555

I will be picking this up. If it is a full Half-Life story... I am all in!

maybe read? they said you don't have to have a VR to play
They also explained why the game won't have a mouse and keyboard equivalent, as some VR games have shipped with. According to the developers, there are many layers of interaction that VR allows that can't accurately be translated by a mouse and keyboard (that usually happens when there is full body tracking and the player's body is actually rendered into the game, interacting with it in a fully physics-based way, I'd say). The developers talked a while about the simple interaction of opening a door, and in how many ways that can be done in the VR environment: you can push it slightly and peek; you can shove it and spray the entire room with lead; you can open it slightly and throw a grenade. All of these interactions with something as simple as doors meant that for them to be actually translated into a keyboard and mouse game, each would have to be mapped. And we're just talking about ways to interact with doors.
No keyboard and mouse support.
Requires VR.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.

Don't forget a 2080 Ti.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
No keyboard and mouse support.
Requires VR.

Not only that but we won't be getting a version that does support mouse and keyboard on down the road. Valve had this to say on the subject:

"We would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard. But like as we said, it began as an exploration of VR. The more we used the controllers and the headset, we realized the the amount of interactions this gives, the amount of possibilities these things give us. The more we explored this, the more we realized that there’s so much opportunity that we can’t really translate back to the keyboard.

When you can track your hands separately from your head. They are all 3D space, all simultaneously tracking and moving, you just can’t get that with a mouse and keyboard. And when you put that into game mechanics, the kinds of interactions that we can do now, we couldn’t possibly do with a mouse and keyboard."

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
oh DAMN sorry I totally read into that wrong.

The game is being announced as a full-length game release built from the ground-up for VR - it's not just a VR adventure the development team embarked on, though it did start that way.

I thought that was saying they were only going to make it VR but now they are making for all to play and enjoy. :( so never-mind. I am not going to VR just for a single game, I have played on a few different VR setups and didn't like any of them. Something about a monitor being attached to my head just isn't appealing, I game to sit on my skinny a$$ and shoot noobs.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Never actually played Half Life games so nothing to except. I have Oculus Rift CV1 but probably not gonna get this.

Kinda sucks, wait 15 years for a new HL game and it's Gimmick-R, suppose it's fine for the <1% of gamers who have the headsets but I doubt Valve will make back the cost of making this game and that could impact the perceived viability of future HL games :(

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
They could have sold over a 100 million copies of HL Alyx.

Instead they're not even gonna hit 5 million.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
In the interview, it was twice mentioned that VR is used by a minority - a very low percentage of players - so my feeling is that they'll probably see the sales results and think again.
It looks gorgeous in Source 2, so at least we may have more hope than we have had over the years, that a Half Life game for everyone, may in fact happen, rather than being a pipe dream.

Processor i7 7700k
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
In the interview, it was twice mentioned that VR is used by a minority - a very low percentage of players - so my feeling is that they'll probably see the sales results and think again.
It looks gorgeous in Source 2, so at least we may have more hope than we have had over the years, that a Half Life game for everyone, may in fact happen, rather than being a pipe dream.

What I keep hearing and the Steam Hardware Survey says as well, about 1% of gamers have a VR set. Valve knows this and they probably don't expect to make a profit on this game. It's likely that they will lose money. They are pushing VR for whatever reason but making money off of this game isn't the reason.

maybe since a lot of these assets are made, it would be easier to make a non vr possibly (i dare say it) half life 3 game from all the art, music, voice, etc. just speculation but would make some sense from a cost side of it. its nice to see valve getting back into development of fps games at least in some way. They have source 2 but haven't done much with it and i'm not counting that crap card game and the conversions from source 1 to source 2.