• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Reportedly Looking Into Further Reduction in CPU Pricing for 2020

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Intel's policy on CPU pricing has been a strong, definite one for years: no price reductions. Faced with less than admirable competition from a struggling AMD back in its Phenom and especially Bulldozer days, Intel enforced a heavy hand on the market and on CPU pricing. However, a much revitalized AMD and difficulties in the transition to the 10 nm process have left Intel with no other recourse than to cut pricing on its CPUs in order to remain competitive. No uptake of new I/O technologies such as PCIe 4.0 has also taken its toll on Intel's position in the server and HEDT market, which has led to recent price-cuts and tightening of Intel's Xeon line of CPUs - as well as price-cuts in the order of 50% in their Cascade Lake-X processors compared to the previous generation.

DigiTimes, citing industry PC makers, says that Intel is gearing up to keep fighting in the only front it actually can, besides puny core count increases on their heavily-iterated Skylake architecture - pricing. This move comes in a bid to keep its market dominance, which Intel themselves have said - after Zen 2, that is - isn't a priority for the consumer market. You can rest assured that Intel is very, very likely already practicing hefty price reductions for tray-quantity purchases for partners. However, it seems that the company might bring some price cuts on to its upcoming Comet Lake CPUs. The company has always been loathe to reduce pricing on existing inventory, rather choosing to reduce the price on new launches (see the Cascade Lake-X example above), which, arguably, saves Intel's face on claims of only being able to compete on pricing - which lurks dangerously close to Intel being painted as the budget, price-cut alternative to AMD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

However, a much revitalized AMD and difficulties in the transition to the 10 nm process have left Intel with no other recourse than to cut pricing on its CPUs in order to remain competitive.
That took long enough. If Intel had been smarter they would have reduced prices sooner as a way to stall AMD's progress. Whether that might have worked, we'll never know. Then there is this..
No uptake of new I/O technologies such as PCIe 4.0 has also taken its toll on AMD's position in the server and HEDT market, which has led to recent price-cuts and tightening of Intel's Xeon line of CPUs and price-cuts in the order of 50% in their Cascade Lake-X processors compared to the previous generation.
..which shows that Intel was complacent.

There was no no-price-reductions policy per se - there was no competition since the release of Core 2 Duo CPUs in 2006 until the release of Ryzen 3000 CPUs (13 years FFS!) which meant Intel could charge as much as they possibly could. Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 is the first AMD architecture in a very long time which rivals Intels and it shows.

As always it's all about competition. And don't think for a second AMD won't follow suit given a chance. Do you remember the Athlon 64 FX-60 CPU? Do you remember it cost $1000 in 2006 (adjusted for inflation that would be over $1300 in 2020)?

AMD fans are always quick to forget that AMD is a commercial company whose interest is not "the best CPUs and GPUs for consumers" but their profits first and most.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
There was no no-price-reductions policy per se - there was no competition since the release of Core 2 Duo CPUs in 2006 until the release of Ryzen 3000 CPUs (13 years FFS!) which meant Intel could charge as much as they possibly could. Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 is the first AMD architecture in a very long time which rivals Intels and it shows.

As always it's all about competition. And don't think for a second AMD won't follow suit given a chance. Do you remember the Athlon 64 FX-60 CPU? Do you remember it cost $1000 in 2006 (adjusted for inflation that would be over $1300 in 2020)?

AMD fans are always quick to forget that AMD is a commercial company whose interest is not "the best CPUs and GPUs for consumers" but their profits first and most.
I think Intel & Nvidia fan should remember that too, cause the forget on every next day.
How will Intel offer price cut, when they still have cpu shotrage? Business 101 : Price will always increase during shortage.

Last edited:
That poll is a bit strange.. it basically asks us "Zen 2's pricing made it a pseudo-monopoly in the DYI market, do you think a lower price can help Intel?"

They were above $1700 last time I checked, closer to $1800 even at that time.
So, you are saying 1800X was p/w competitive, next to a '$1800 chip'? I'm distraught at the joke I've missed...

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

Why do you guys keep bringing that up like there is a point to be made? Like Intel did not have their own expensive CPU that was $1 dollar less, a whole dollar condemned that to obscurity, like we do not have CPU prices north of $1300 today.

So, you are saying 1800X was p/w competitive, next to a '$1800 chip'? I'm distraught at the joke I've missed...
Well I'm sure it wasn't a joke to anyone who bought the chips, or i9-9xxx last year :nutkick:

Not true. The first Ryzen's gave Intel a kick in the pants.

Only for pros who use(d) them for massively multithreaded tasks like compilation, rendering, video encoding, etc. Their IPC wasn't there to really compete and the fact that Intel is thinking of lowering prices right now proves that even further.

My only question out of this story is - why wait for H2 2020?
Why lose all that market share by then?

Do it now! start working on it!

Do it now! start working on it!
They still have their shareholders to answer to, not to mention the price erosion in the servers. Intel, unless everything goes right for them over the next few years, will really bleed a lot of money trying to stave off AMD from their multiple strongholds. That doesn't mean of course that they'll start posting losses, but the margins will go down aplenty & likely profits as well.

For me, even if intel keeps cutting prices, it would be a hard sell - especially since intel is unlikely to change their practices of requiring new motherboards for each new generation of CPU.

SL2

Do you remember the Athlon 64 FX-60 CPU? Do you remember it cost $1000 in 2006 (adjusted for inflation that would be over $1300 in 2020)?
Insane, but at least it had two cores!
Before that, all they could change was clock speed and cache size. Quite a different situation compared to now..
1579644678074.png

At this stage they’d have to be almost free for me to consider an Intel processor. Nothing will stop me from Zen 3 for my new system build. Intel deserve a huge kick up the @rse. Ultimately I want them to get their act together, competition is always good, but I hope they do it real tough for a few years and there is a change in management and direction.

main reason why i didn't buy a intel cpu this time around, the cpu being $700cad and a motherboard being min $150cad, i went with a 3800x for $440cad with a $60cad mobo works great. intel shortage is really hurting them and not being about to keep up with amd technology wise imo.

At this stage they’d have to be almost free for me to consider an Intel processor. Nothing will stop me from Zen 3 for my new system build. Intel deserve a huge kick up the @rse. Ultimately I want them to get their act together, competition is always good, but I hope they do it real tough for a few years and there is a change in management and direction.

Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 IPC ~ Sky Lake IPC. Ice Lake IPC = 1.18 * Sky Lake IPC. Tiger Lake IPC = 1.1 * Ice Lake which makes Tiger Lake CPUs 30% faster than the best currently available AMD CPUs. Remind me with what Intel can't compete again 'cause I've lost you there. Intel doesn't have the node to produce these CPUs but AMD does not have any nodes at all - it outsources their CPU/GPUs to TSMC. Get your facts straight before spewing another portion of fanboyism. WCCFTech should be a place to go for you if you want to talk to like-minded people.

main reason why i didn't buy a intel cpu this time around, the cpu being $700cad and a motherboard being min $150cad, i went with a 3800x for $440cad with a $60cad mobo works great. intel shortage is really hurting them and not being about to keep up with amd technology wise imo.

I'm curious why you went for such a cheap mobo. It likely doesn't even have USB 3.2 gen 2 ports and just a single M.2 slot. That's weird. Also, it most likely contains a 16MB BIOS chip which could limit its features.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
You want a competitive miracle? 9900K for $250, 9700K for $175, 9600K for $130 :D

C'MON INTEL YOU CAN DO IT :laugh:

D

Deleted member 193706

Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 IPC ~ Sky Lake IPC. Ice Lake IPC = 1.18 * Sky Lake IPC. Tiger Lake IPC = 1.1 * Ice Lake which makes Tiger Lake CPUs 30% faster than the best currently available AMD CPUs. Remind me with what Intel can't compete again 'cause I've lost you there. Intel doesn't have the node to produce these CPUs but AMD does not have any nodes at all - it outsources their CPU/GPUs to TSMC. Get your facts straight before spewing another portion of fanboyism. WCCFTech should be a place to go for you if you want to talk to like-minded people.

I'm curious why you went for such a cheap mobo. It likely doesn't even have USB 3.2 gen 2 ports and just a single M.2 slot. That's weird. Also, it most likely contains a 16MB BIOS chip which could limit its features.
30% faster than a competing AMD 25w mobile chip, where the hell are they on the desktop and hedt front? what a pathetic post, you need to rethink your OWN fanboyism if THIS is the best you can conjure up before ranting at people for preferring AMD cause they offer better core counts, IPC and perfformance compared to Intel when it comes to $/performance, and we're not just talking about 2-3 mobile chips that will never make it to desktop. Have a double slap for your poor attitude and misleading and biased Intel love :slap::slap:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
You want a competitive miracle? 9900K for $250, 9700K for $175, 9600K for $130 :D

C'MON INTEL YOU CAN DO IT :laugh:
I mean, that's less than a 3700x, the 9900k... what is your goal, to get Intel more sales??? Lololol nice one!