• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CacheOut is the Latest Speculative Execution Attack for Intel Processors

D

Deleted member 158293

The compromises Intel made in the past for speed is still catching up with them. Desktops may not matter much, but the amount of additional attack vectors on their servers this is creating will probably be never be fully known as many more will probably never be seen above closely guarded secrets.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
No amount of patchwork will completely fix these leaks. They exist on such a basic level there will probably always be some way to get past any sort of bandaid fix. Intel said as much when the first leaks came out, too. Let's be realistic about it :)

The more interesting part of it is that Intel actually still keeps selling leaky architecture to us, I mean Cascade Lake isn't exactly ancient. Gotta keep that money rollin' ey

But... they're taking it seriously :roll::roll::roll: Business as usual and made a record year... guess what. The memo we gave them since those leaks is that we also really don't give a shit and buy Intel regardless. We're helpless really.
You contradict yourself. If these leaks will keep happening regardless of patches, yet intel shouldnt be selling chips with these patches needed (in your opinion), then should intel just pack up shop and go home? Call it quits? What do you expect them to do?

As you said: "lets be realistic about it". Intel will need some time to completely revamp their architecture to prevent these flaws in the future, these flaws rely on local admin access, and remote escalation attacks have yet to be seen in the wild, and intel is selling a record number of CPUs because there is still huge demand and growth in professional sectors. These flaws are not game ending, and intel going out of business voluntaraly so they dont sell a flawed CPU is just rediculous.

Have to say great choice in terms of pic for the FP article :nutkick:

Intel will need some time to completely revamp their architecture to prevent these flaws in the future, these flaws rely on local admin access, and remote escalation attacks have yet to be seen in the wild, and intel is selling a record number of CPUs because there is still huge demand and growth in professional sectors.
Not always, in fact the vast majority of the critical ones centered around spectre & meltdown - both didn't require admin access & weren't what you'd call remote escalation attacks.

Except you probably won't know about these attacks ever, especially if an attacker exploited smeltdown on a vulnerable system - this is why they are scary & yes I'm talking nation state level targeted attacks.

And that's where I have a huge issue with the corporate culture, they never really learn do they :shadedshu:

Last edited:
System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Man, I wonder how Intel fanbois are holding up being unable to remark about bug ridden AMD CPUs are .

Yeah, am sure they are breaking blood vessels at a record pace :roll:

Joking aside tho, this is getting pretty bad, have upgraded most of my PCs to AMD but not because of the vulnerabilities but bang for the buck. I do hope Intel gets it together for the sake of health and wellness:roll:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You contradict yourself. If these leaks will keep happening regardless of patches, yet intel shouldnt be selling chips with these patches needed (in your opinion), then should intel just pack up shop and go home? Call it quits? What do you expect them to do?

As you said: "lets be realistic about it". Intel will need some time to completely revamp their architecture to prevent these flaws in the future, these flaws rely on local admin access, and remote escalation attacks have yet to be seen in the wild, and intel is selling a record number of CPUs because there is still huge demand and growth in professional sectors. These flaws are not game ending, and intel going out of business voluntaraly so they dont sell a flawed CPU is just rediculous.

One does not exclude the other, and the fact that it doesn't is a testament to our own helplessness. You say it well, and we wouldn't want Intel to pack up shop either. Its a contradiction... and yet we live it.

Intel knows this and that is why them 'taking it seriously' is accepted as an excuse. Also what's done is done. Everyone wants the easy way out of this, and its not just Intel or me bashing just Intel here; its just an observation. OTOH where is the class action for all our lost performance? Fair's fair...

This is one of those examples of 'too big to fail'.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
I wonder who has been surprised by those news. Only surprise to forum members comes from the existense of Intel's tech admirers. Btw, the lower latency of Intel CPUs mainly exists because of their security holes with the last one being a very big one.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Btw, the lower latency of Intel CPUs mainly exists because of their security holes with the last one being a very big one.
Bullshit.

Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Another ignorant for my ignore list...
Or, you know, help out the forums and those who do not know by supporting your assertion with some links, perhaps. :)

I don't know why, with any certainty, AMD is slower, but I recall it having something to do with AMD's chiplet design and latency between the CCXs and IO die. If this isn't correct, help us out, eh?

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Intel performance is great and all but if they had to take shortcuts to get that performance then what good is the performance? The fact that AMD is within striking distance of Intel performance while not having to take shortcuts that have lead to these security flaws is simply amazing. It makes me question if Intel has ran out of ideas and it lends even more credence to just why Intel hired Jim Keller who was instrumental in the creation of the Zen architecture.

Keyboard Trust GXT280
Or, you know, help out the forums and those who do not know by supporting your assertion with some links, perhaps. :)

I don't know why, with any certainty, AMD is slower, but I recall it having something to do with AMD's chipset design and latency between the CCXs and IO die. If this isn't correct, help us out, eh?
There are reviews out there that test exactly that thing by using both of or just one of the chiplets of the 3900X or 3950X (in order to avoid chiplet interconnection latency penalty) and proving that Zen Core latency is still higher than the Intel's core one even when RAM speeds and timings are equal. That is the only big advantage that allow Intel to stay a bit ahead in low res gaming and (now old-school) single threading apps. And this latest vulverability affects the cpu cache. What more do we need to result in this opinion I posted above.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
There are reviews out there that test exactly that thing by using both of or just one of the chiplets of the 3900X or 3950X (in order to avoid chiplet interconnection latency penalty) and proving that Zen Core latency is still higher than the Intel's core one even when RAM speeds and timings are equal. That is the only big advantage that allow Intel to stay a bit ahead in low res gaming and (now old-school) single threading apps. And this latest vulverability affects the cpu cache. What more do we need to result in this opinion I posted above.
So, excuse me, but how does this answer your previous statement...

"Btw, the lower latency of Intel CPUs mainly exists because of their security holes with the last one being a very big one."

You just said above that regardless its faster, but..........still I didn't see any proof of low latency intel due to security holes (or missed it).

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Apparently this won't be an issue with Zen 2 though.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Btw, the lower latency of Intel CPUs mainly exists because of their security holes with the last one being a very big one.
This keeps coming up again and again while being simply incorrect and by now is more of a FUD than anything.
Another ignorant for my ignore list...
Any proof of lower latency being due to security holes?
There is proof of the opposite in Phoronix's performance tests for mitigations and hardware fixes where fixed hardware is essentially at the same performance as pre-Spectre (and by essentially I mean there is a general overall 2-4% perf hit from Spectre mitigations in software).
There are reviews out there that test exactly that thing by using both of or just one of the chiplets of the 3900X or 3950X (in order to avoid chiplet interconnection latency penalty) and proving that Zen Core latency is still higher than the Intel's core one even when RAM speeds and timings are equal.
Higher latency is direct consequence of chiplet design. If you look at these same reviews 2700X also has lower latency than 3700X. The reason is simple, cores need to go across package to a different die to memory controller for memory access. This is done over IF which (while very fast) adds an additional bit of delay to every memory access. This is why Zen2 has such a huge L3 cache to hide as much of that latency as possible.

Last edited:
Description of what they refer to seems to be 5. Cross Process Attacks (on page 9).
Ok, read through that and the Linux problem is Kernel based and does not exist in Windows from XP 2K on. That problem will likely be swiftly rectified with a Kernel update. However, and more importantly, it's still not exploitable remotely. So even on Linux, you have to be at the system in question.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
However, and more importantly, it's still not exploitable remotely. So even on Linux, you have to be at the system in question.

Haven't read the paper yet but does that mean ssh in combined with a PE does not work?

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Last edited:
Haven't read the paper yet but does that mean ssh in combined with a PE does not work?
The fact that it wasn't mentioned specifically very likely rules it out. However the research is ongoing so the jury might still be out on that scenario. My hypothesis is that it will ultimately not be possible.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The fact that it wasn't mentioned specifically very likely rules it out. However the research is ongoing so the jury might still be out on that scenario. My hypothesis is that it will ultimately not be possible.

I don't see why it wouldn't. In general, sitting in front of the box or SSH is no different.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
There is no one to blame. Like all of the vulnerabilities found in CPU's in the past few years, Intel created a CPU function that was intended to be of benefit. They had no expectation or foresight that it would be used in such a way.

That is incorrect.

If I had to guess at the possibility of Intel knowing these exploits existed and they made the conscious decision to ignore the risk for some performance.... 99% sure they knew and just didn't and don't care.