• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CacheOut is the Latest Speculative Execution Attack for Intel Processors

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If I had to guess at the possibility of Intel knowing these exploits existed and they made the conscious decision to ignore the risk for some performance.... 99% sure they knew and just didn't and don't care.

Honestly, I don't suspect they did. In having been employed in both sectors (development and security), engineers don't always have the thought process of the 'other side'. Additionally, these were largely a new class of vulnerabilities that might not have even been conceptualized when Intel was creating the initial architecture. I surmise, that initial architecture has not changed much over the last two decades considering how far back some of these exploits work. Also, considering that some of them work on AMD as well, it seems to be an inherent risk in specific algorithms or components (ie: speculative execution) to some extent.

99% sure they knew and just didn't and don't care.
I'm not buying that. Such would mean that every maker of IC's that has ever had a vulnerability had a high probability of knowing of such and just not caring. Not only would that be extremely irresponsible, but it would also be highly libelous. No legal team is going to let such fly.

None of these vulnerabilities are intentional. Hackers are hackers and they will always find new ways to do weird things with technology that the makers never intended or even dreamed of.

In general, sitting in front of the box or SSH is no different.
It is on a Kernel level.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Such would mean that every maker of IC's that has ever had a vulnerability had a high probability of knowing of such and just not caring.

A little overzealous but, essentially, yeah. Most vulnerabilities are vulnerabilities because the repercussions were not known in advance. Most companies don't like repercussions.

None of these vulnerabilities are intentional. Hackers are hackers and they will always find new ways to do weird things with technology that the makers never intended or even dreamed of

Which to me is the beauty of it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Still reading the paper but:
- They do seem to mount an attack from unprivileged users.
- HT helps the attack but it works without HT as well.
- They recommend turning off TSX as that is effective against CacheOut.

Edit:
OK, it seems that TAA is an integral step in CacheOut, so they are attacking a different target but still using TAA to get the data out. Makes sense that disabling TSX would work against this.

Spot on what I am getting out of this as well. Good summary.

So even on Linux, you have to be at the system in question.

or have a simple ssh login, which is common as hell in linux land. Windows users wouldn't care much though. And you can mitigate this by just turning off tsx, which most security minded folks and nearly all windows installs have already done.

It is on a Kernel level.

What? No, they are both just terminal shells. The kernel doesn't know or care that's just a userland process. I mean yeah, the kernel can shut down the network to mitigate this, I guess, but that's about all the kernel has to do with this...

Mind you, same end result. This isn't much a big deal. Nothing really uses TSX anymore anyways... Meaning the performance impact will be like, nothing.

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
System Name ashpc-3950x
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X 16-core @ 105W ppt
Motherboard Asrock X570M Pro4
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2
Memory 32 GB (4x8) 3600 MHz 16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 2070 Dual EVO
Storage Aorus 1TB NVMe Gen4, Corsair MP510 480GB NVMe, 2x SATA HDD, 2x SATA SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR-A 24" 144Hz 1920x1080
Case Silverstone RedLine RL08 (red) Micro ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Creative T40 V2
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 850W Gold
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores idc
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but a fairly good portion of the reason why intel's architecture appears to be 'full of holes' is because exploiters/researchers are:

A) Targeting Intel: Whilst Zen is a fantastic arch, and will be more popular going forward, Intel's marketshare is significantly larger. It makes more sense because more machine are affected so the fix is arguably more important to prioritise Intel.

B) Intel has an active 'bug bounty' program that rewards researchers with cash (afaik) if they find flaws in Intel's silicon.

I'm not huge Intel fan, but the way I see it is; a CPU architecture is a hugely complex piece of micro-scale engineering, nothing created by human beings can ever be perfect, but we can come close.

It is highly likely there are flaws in Zen1/+ and maybe Zen2, they just have yet to be found (if they ever will - who knows). Until AMD has 50%+ marketshare and everyone starts trying to break open Zen, we don't really know if this is just a huge engineering fail from Intel. IMHO, I think Intel might have sacrificed security in some areas for performance, looking at some of the vulnerabilities, it seems so.

Going forward, they should use this to make their future architecture more secure.

It's not quite fair to say "Well, AMD isn't affected by these issues, so their arch is better", While there is some truth to this in the current vulnerabilities, it would be prudent to understand that researchers are most likely actively trying to break Skylake: it's been on the market for ages (lol) and is a well known, established design. In 5 years when Zen (hopefully) establishes itself in the same way, I guess we will see if AMD made better choices.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
It is on a Kernel level.

And do tell what that has to do with anything?

or have a simple ssh login

Which means it could be done remotely, even though it would likely be more complicated than, say, social engineering. So saying it can't be done remotely is simply not true. Likeliness not withstanding.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
Cant say I'm a fanboy but owning an Intel ID(ont)GAF.

The overwhelming majority of these dont really affect most home users in the first place (and then most are elevated access, no?). I guess some would call it perspective...

Nice crack at flamebait, though...
so.. he was "flamebaiting" here..

you know the saying right? "haters gonna hate" :roll:
but you are being the king of objectivity here.. seems legit, in some universe..

as for intel and the way they do business, anyone can read their history, its online after all. companies exist to make money, nothing more nothing less, and they will use literally anything and anyone in order to reach that green goal. so, either intel engineers are morons, extremely unlikely, or they knew the problems of their arch from the beginning but they calculated the risks and benefits and went with the vulnerabilities because it gave them an advantage. after all, all the vulnerabilities that have been discovered affect the vast majority of users very little, just like using 4 cores for almost a decade affected the vast majority of users very little. :) oh, and btw, amd would do the same thing if they were in intels position. human "nature" is the problem, not the name of the company.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Dunno if it was mentioned but there was another flaw discovered shortly before this one: This one affected Intel's iGPU and it's performance impact is quite severe, though it's directed @ the GPU portion of the CPU, so those laptops that don't have a discreet GPU ... those are gonna be hit HARD ...

The good news is that this doesn't affect newer CPUs as hard as older ones. so there's that ...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but a fairly good portion of the reason why intel's architecture appears to be 'full of holes' is because exploiters/researchers are:

A) Targeting Intel: Whilst Zen is a fantastic arch, and will be more popular going forward, Intel's marketshare is significantly larger. It makes more sense because more machine are affected so the fix is arguably more important to prioritise Intel.

B) Intel has an active 'bug bounty' program that rewards researchers with cash (afaik) if they find flaws in Intel's silicon.

I'm not huge Intel fan, but the way I see it is; a CPU architecture is a hugely complex piece of micro-scale engineering, nothing created by human beings can ever be perfect, but we can come close.

It is highly likely there are flaws in Zen1/+ and maybe Zen2, they just have yet to be found (if they ever will - who knows). Until AMD has 50%+ marketshare and everyone starts trying to break open Zen, we don't really know if this is just a huge engineering fail from Intel. IMHO, I think Intel might have sacrificed security in some areas for performance, looking at some of the vulnerabilities, it seems so.

Going forward, they should use this to make their future architecture more secure.

It's not quite fair to say "Well, AMD isn't affected by these issues, so their arch is better", While there is some truth to this in the current vulnerabilities, it would be prudent to understand that researchers are most likely actively trying to break Skylake: it's been on the market for ages (lol) and is a well known, established design. In 5 years when Zen (hopefully) establishes itself in the same way, I guess we will see if AMD made better choices.

I've said it before but no one seems to care. If somone is going to make a fanboyish claim facts aren't going to stop them anyways, so I stopped trying.

Dunno if it was mentioned but there was another flaw discovered shortly before this one: This one affected Intel's iGPU and it's performance impact is quite severe, though it's directed @ the GPU portion of the CPU, so those laptops that don't have a discreet GPU ... those are gonna be hit HARD ...

The good news is that this doesn't affect newer CPUs as hard as older ones. so there's that ...

50% performance hit to the IGPU in linux... noice!

Which means it could be done remotely, even though it would likely be more complicated than, say, social engineering. So saying it can't be done remotely is simply not true. Likeliness not withstanding.

I've been over that with him before. He seems to consider anything that isn't able to worm it's way in automagically ala that old SMB stack exploit "not remotely."

It's an interesting take on the terms, but I don't argue them anymore.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440

Ouch.

That said, I won't be applying any of the patches to my laptop. I'm boring.

I've been over that with him before. He seems to consider anything that isn't able to worm it's way in automagically ala that old SMB stack exploit "not remotely."

I mean, it really can be pretty automagic. Even through the browser, if it happens to be the delivery method for the shell script that phones home the activation via dns.

It's an interesting take on the terms, but I don't argue them anymore.

Come now. It is good mental exercise.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3

Damn! :eek::fear:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I mean hey, we are watching our tax dollars at work arguing about "my definition is my definition" lol Think of it as job training.

I mean, really, just like all the other exploits only matter if: you are extremely interesting, a government, a defense contractor, data center, or iaas company. So the fact this sparks such a debate is kinda funny.

Any CPU vendor designs a big portion of the CPU using automated resources, and a part of it is done manually. I think intel relied too much on the automated part, now that left and right exploits and all that coming around. There's no recall being done because that would be very bad PR, instead it's choosing to fix it using a microcode update thats inserted upon every (re)boot of the system, and a sideeffect is the performance being hurt.

For a consumer; these exploits dont mean alot. I mean you could still happy game on and nothing really would happen. But for enterprise markets, i.e hiring out VPS servers or cloud sollutions, this is where it could get dangerous, as i could rent / hire a part of a server, and start nuking it apart with exploits all over the place, able to obtain data that normally would be secured in the first place.

there's sollution to turn off HT, there's microcode updates and all that, but if you have a huge farm of intel based CPU's, your not going to see 1 to 5% performance decrease, but more like in 20 up to 40% of your capable compute power. Even I/O is being affected by this stuff. I really hope AMD does'nt contain so many exploits and their security thing inside the CPU is really solid as it looks by now.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I mean, really, just like all the other exploits only matter if: you are extremely interesting, a government, a defense contractor, data center, or iaas company. So the fact this sparks such a debate is kinda funny.

That increases your value as a target sure. However, this is the information age man... everyone is worth something. The threshholds are all over the place and it really isn't that simple.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
99% sure they knew and just didn't and don't care.
Extremely unlikely. Most of these recent vulnerabilities are not difficult to fix. It takes a long time due to both testing/validation and production cycles but the fix itself is not difficult (by logic design standards, at least). If they knew about the vulnerabilities fixes would have been added in the next generation of CPUs.

Companies tend to really not like liabilities.

Extremely unlikely. Most of these recent vulnerabilities are not difficult to fix. It takes a long time due to both testing/validation and production cycles but the fix itself is not difficult (by logic design standards, at least). If they knew about the vulnerabilities fixes would have been added in the next generation of CPUs.

This is exactly correct. No company wants to be liable for damages, not to mention the damage it does to their reputation. These kinds of vulnerabilities are just that, vulnerabilities. They are not mistakes, they are accidental nothing more.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I'm not buying that. Such would mean that every maker of IC's that has ever had a vulnerability had a high probability of knowing of such and just not caring. Not only would that be extremely irresponsible, but it would also be highly libelous. No legal team is going to let such fly.

None of these vulnerabilities are intentional. Hackers are hackers and they will always find new ways to do weird things with technology that the makers never intended or even dreamed of.

It is on a Kernel level.

How much does Intel spend on R&D again compared to secure AMD products that now match and exceed their performance?

So if AMD can do it with a tenth the budget does that make them awesome or Intel that shitty?

Well they get away with it, the vast majority of the times so I would say no ~ they do so (shady stuff) constantly especially considering the risk vs reward.
Heck Intel's done that more than once, so has Nvidia!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
So if AMD can do it with a tenth the budget does that make them awesome or Intel that shitty?

It makes them the little elephant in the security scene.