• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Support TechPowerUp on Patreon, Unlock New Features

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
good idea TPU , ive always found ur web site the best to get up to date and informative information around.
also the forums I find stress free and people always willing to help and chat

go TPU :toast:

so people can no longer link to them? when i look at social media / other forums, all i see is our charts

Ever heard of "share buttons"?

huh? first time i hear about that, please make another thread to further discuss it

It is honestly useless to test a mid or low ranked GPU at ultra settings when there are plenty of settings that tank the performance and have nearly zero IQ returns. Then there is the hilarious fact that some cards don't run the game at ultra and that "zero" is as good as not testing it at all.

Sure, if I bring down the number of games to 5, at 2 resolutions, with 3 other cards compared.. and we'll be like everybody else.
27 comparison cards x 21 games x 4 resolutions = 2268 tests, at 2 minutes per run = 4536 minutes = 75.6 hours

It is 3 resolutions and you could drop quite a few games. Even game specific articles don't have these numbers.

27 cards * 3 resolutions * 2 mins = 162 min = 2.7 hours

send me your resume and some sample posts

Not my field. But you should consider it just looking at how many users are asking for just that.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Ever heard of "share buttons"?
Sure, but I'd say unrelated. How do you share a HTML DOM or Canvas on places that let you upload images only?

test a mid or low ranked GPU at ultra settings
But how can people compare graphics cards across the whole market then?

27 cards * 3 resolutions * 2 mins = 162 min = 2.7 hours
correct, for each individual game

I wish there was a free trial so I could see how the Patreon sponsored threads look like toxicity wise.
it's a completely separate subforum thats mostly empty atm, it'll be what patrons make of it

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This is a loaded one...
uhmmm...

I really hope TPU would listen to its community, and while "the money" doesn't come from it, this is a core that is a pillar to this site, i feel.
W1zz is a very technically talented individual, and he is the main reason i like opening TPU a bunch of times a day, but other aspects of the website feel alien and changed for me since what they were just a few years ago.

Forum moderation changes is a big part of it - many of us "gave up" on being more active due to some unfortunate decisions from staff.
While i never got punished, i see many other users who do, over stuff they shouldn't.

With reviews - I have no idea why the pipe is so damn long from when a review is written to the moment its published. I know for a fact that some reviews in recent years waited months to be published. Why? That's a dis-service to both the community and reviewers. There are a bunch of talented individuals here.

We already have some review aspects stuck in 2007 with how products are tested and how results are being produced. Its 2020 and we don't have noise regulated case and cooler testing, we don't have min 1\0.1% lows and deeper frametime analysis of GPUs, we don't even have in-depth deep-dives into driver features and important tweaking tools. Not anymore.

In front page - The waves of meme PR news, regarding stuff that's pretty far away from common interest. I know people bash mr news editor, and 2019 would definitely be a year to learn from, but i know he can produce great content, he clearly has the technical capability of doing so. We're all human, we all can slip at times. 2020 is a year to improve.

I'd love to support TPU financially when some of those crucial issues will be addressed.
See, that last line in your comment, right there, tells you exactly why things aren't changing. You now have a chance to financially support a rather small publication that is asking for contribution, but you say no, because a few things aren't up to your standards. How do you expect things to change? Maybe with your small contribution, they will earn enough so they can make the changes you want, but clearly, you're the unwilling party here, so the changes you want aren't likely to happen.

I think TPU needs to reinforce it's core draw card - reviews of 'big ticket items'. Reviews of mice, keyboards, headphones and the occasional fan are a great supplement and gap filler, but let's face it, they're a dime a dozen and with the saturation in the market and the fact everyone has a difference taste, they're not going to get the reader count. During the long wait between GPU and CPU launches (and their subsequent brilliant reviews), I feel TPU needs to focus more on case, cooler and power supply reviews as these are components most will generally keep for 3 or more builds. For example, the level of technical detail in PSU reviews is excellent and greatly appreciated, with ripple tests, load regulation, temperatures and efficiency. Perhaps this Patreon expansion can help make this happen?
To be able to do "big ticket items" as you put it, reviews of other things have to be done as well, since these companies are also likely to put up ads on the site, which pays for the "big ticket items". I guess you've never 1. worked as a tech journalist and 2. never had your own business?
It's not possible to only write about certain things and on top of that, the site would be too much of a niche publication, so they'd lose readers and when the numbers goes down, so does the advertising money. Also, not everyone here has the same interest, so a mix of content is good imho.

You could make a Kickstarter for several goals too. For example:

- $500: Interactive charts like the ones at computerbase.
- $1000: Choosing sensible game graphic settings for GPU reviews.
- $2000: 0.1% lows charts in GPU reviews.
- $3000: Stop the clickbaiting and senseless rumors in the main site by firing btarunr.
$1 have you banned for life?
I mean seriously, clearly only your opinion count here, right? You have seven posts on the forums, so please...

Great idea TPU. Your site and content is great and while there's obviously going to be ads and sponsored content (tpu staff needs to eat like the rest of you), the toxic community centered around passive aggressiveness and drama is what's holding tpu back. I wish there was a free trial so I could see how the Patreon sponsored threads look like toxicity wise.
There's times in the past where I've needed feedback on my builds and went to this site only to see similar type of forum questions turn into personal attacks. I hope this Patreon weeds out the older, disgruntled accounts.
You could pay $4 and see, it's not like you have to tie yourself up for life...

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
You could make a Kickstarter for several goals too. For example:

- $500: Interactive charts like the ones at computerbase.
- $1000: Choosing sensible game graphic settings for GPU reviews.
- $2000: 0.1% lows charts in GPU reviews.
- $3000: Stop the clickbaiting and senseless rumors in the main site by firing btarunr.

I think in general that is a great idea and also I laughed - I vaguely am aware of the rumors issue and will politely remain nuetral on that point. :)

See, that last line in your comment, right there, tells you exactly why things aren't changing. You now have a chance to financially support a rather small publication that is asking for contribution, but you say no, because a few things aren't up to your standards. How do you expect things to change? Maybe with your small contribution, they will earn enough so they can make the changes you want, but clearly, you're the unwilling party here, so the changes you want aren't likely to happen.
Actually both approaches seem valid to me. The contributions are small enough that they do not pose a financial risk to users. However, Patreon is strictly voluntary, and no one should feel ashamed if they are not a patron. It is perfectly reasonable for a user to have certain standards and expectations, before he/she commits to a donation or patronage. Especially since TPU is doing better than ever, by W1zzard's own admission.

EDIT: And no one should be passive-aggressively guilted into becoming a patron, which seems to me you are doing.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
@W1zzard any plans to offer say a yearly option for the different levels? or just monthly?

Sure, but I'd say unrelated. How do you share a HTML DOM or Canvas on places that let you upload images only?

Share the images, keep the good stuff for the site. win/win.

I'd say the scripts you are currently using wouldn't be that hard to modify to do both. And it would save you bandwidth. win/win/win.

But how can people compare graphics cards across the whole market then?

By cutting off at 60 FPS for each resolution? Every time you test a new GPU if it doesn't hit 60 FPS for a resolution please lower the settings to a lower tier of your choice removing most of the placebo settings. I don't really know why you bother testing a RX 570 at Ultra when no one would use them unless they are massive masochists.

You even did something similar with the Borderlands 3 article by choosing the "Ultra" preset instead of the "Badass" one that was a performance hog just for the sake of it. There are plenty of videos around doing an analysis of the different settings and most of them are inane for mid and low range GPUs.

I laughed real hard when the last review for the GTX 1650 Super Windforce came out and numbers for Control were well below acceptable at 1080p and directly insane for 1440p and 4K.

~7 FPS? Welp, that's useful and totally what I would do.

correct, for each individual game

What about the game specific articles? Is it that much harder to get the 0.1% stats for them?

$1 have you banned for life?
I mean seriously, clearly only your opinion count here, right? You have seven posts on the forums, so please...

I'm going to be the better man here and just ignore you.

Soy

I feel the above but I also still am a gold member. I feel like if if you want to have your words carry some weight here, you should chip in.

That being said I totally agree with the above but I also see moment where bta is trying to do better. If he keeps that up, it's all just a learning experience as far as I am concerned.

I'm more upset about the choice of software key "partners" frankly.

That was my sig for a bit, but I got a bad vibe from it, lol
I would like to support but refuse to do so as long as TPU continues to advertise the selling of keys not meant for resale. It is illegal, not a grey market thing. Those keys are not meant to be sold to the public. My money will never be used to condone unethical behavior.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
@W1zzard any plans to offer say a yearly option for the different levels? or just monthly?
Isn't monthly better because you can cancel any time?

Share the images
except dynamic charts are not images

I would like to support but refuse to do so as long as TPU continues to advertise the selling of keys not meant for resale. It is illegal, not a grey market thing. Those keys are not meant to be sold to the public. My money will never be used to condone unethical behavior.
so many new faces here today, as mentioned before, with the bronze tier all ads will be gone, including cd key posts. will be interesting to see who actually cares enough

I like Patreon, and I plan to pledge for TPU. But not until Feb 1st. And just my 2 cents, you should've held off on this post until Feb 1st. You see, Patreon always bills on the 1st of the month. No matter when you pledge/subscribe, you're next charge will be the 1st of the next month. For instance, if you pledge today it will renew and charge again in only a couple days. It's really dumb that they operate this way, and to me it means Patreon account holders should refrain from enticing signups toward the end of any given month. People new to Patreon that don't understand this can be very put off by it.

Just putting it out there in case there are folks here new to Patreon.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Actually both approaches seem valid to me. The contributions are small enough that they do not pose a financial risk to users. However, Patreon is strictly voluntary, and no one should feel ashamed if they are not a patron. It is perfectly reasonable for a user to have certain standards and expectations, before he/she commits to a donation or patronage. Especially since TPU is doing better than ever, by W1zzard's own admission.

EDIT: And no one should be passive-aggressively guilted into becoming a patron, which seems to me you are doing.

Sure, but if you're complaining about things, this is an easy way to show that you're willing to put your wallet where your mouth is and contribute something towards getting what you want.
There are some 89k forum members here, if everyone pitched in a bit, I'm sure TPU could do a lot more, although I have no expectations of that ever happening.
But coming on here and complaining about a million things and then saying that you're not going to contribute anything until you see all the things you want is a taking the piss imho.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I've been online for around 35 years and I think people expect everything to be free online. It costs money just to have this site online and then there's the paid employees and hardware purchases when manufacturers don't provide samples. So many people are running an adblocker that removes one of the ways that a site can generate revenue to pay for all of this.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
So take me for example, that have a legit business, I'm not allowed to buy a business key? :wtf: :rolleyes:
These companies aren't doing anything illegal, as I can go down to the local computer market and pay 3x the price for the same key, as I still don't get a physical disc to go with it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was hinting at something like a discount if he paid for a year.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I'd gladly participate if you didn't spam the news section weekly with grey markey key store "promotions".
People being butthurt over that is ridiculous. There is legit 0 issue with it and ive been running on a key off one of those sites for both Windows 10 and Office 2019 with ZERO issues for over a year.

If you wanna pay out the ass for that software, be my guest. No one is stopping you.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
you should've held off on this post until Feb 1st. You see, Patreon always bills on the 1st of the month [..] and to me it means Patreon account holders should refrain from enticing signups toward the end of any given month
now that you mention it ... you are absolutely right of course .. i didn't think of that .. :(

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've been online for around 35 years and I think people expect everything to be free online. It costs money just to have this site online and then there's the paid employees and hardware purchases when manufacturers don't provide samples. So many people are running an adblocker that removes one of the ways that a site can generate revenue to pay for all of this.
Now now, no need to make things up, the internet hasn't been publicly available for that long...
I've been online about 25 years and before that, it wasn't even possible for most people to get online, unless you count BBSes.
But yes, fully agree with the rest, I don't block ads here,as they're not intrusive or annoying.

now that you mention it ... you are absolutely right of course .. i didn't think of that .. :(
It's not the end of the world. YOU GUYS are new to Patreon too so I'm not shocked to see it. But that's why I wanted to point it out to others that might also be new to it. Also, that's why I've set myself a reminder to come back to this thread on the 1st and go subscribe :)

Soy

except dynamic charts are not images

so many new faces here today, as mentioned before, with the bronze tier all ads will be gone, including cd key posts. will be interesting to see who actually cares enough
It is not about hiding the offensive ads it is about supporting a site that would have them at all. Just because it is hidden doesn't mean our money isn't supporting something wrong. Principle is what separates the conscientious from those without.

I moderated a site with 50k active users for many years. When ethical decisions are made, even if hard or you may think it will cost you money, it's surprising how many step up to support.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
Stop the clickbaiting
Who DOESNT use clickbait these days? It's what drives people to the content. You are never NOT going to find this anywhere in today media. Get over it, get used to it. It's here to stay.

Or just stop consuming media. Your post is ignorant and borderline stupid.

I would like to support but refuse to do so as long as TPU continues to advertise the selling of keys not meant for resale. It is illegal, not a grey market thing. Those keys are not meant to be sold to the public.
You clearly have 0 clue.

My money will never be used to condone unethical behavior.
Then why do you even bother coming here?

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
By cutting off at 60 FPS for each resolution? Every time you test a new GPU if it doesn't hit 60 FPS for a resolution please lower the settings to a lower tier of your choice removing most of the placebo settings. I don't really know why you bother testing a RX 570 at Ultra when no one would use them unless they are massive masochists.

You even did something similar with the Borderlands 3 article by choosing the "Ultra" preset instead of the "Badass" one that was a performance hog just for the sake of it. There are plenty of videos around doing an analysis of the different settings and most of them are inane for mid and low range GPUs.

I laughed real hard when the last review for the GTX 1650 Super Windforce came out and numbers for Control were well below acceptable at 1080p and directly insane for 1440p and 4K.

~7 FPS? Welp, that's useful and totally what I would do.
Benchmarking is about testing everything on equal grounds. Of course no one in their right mind is going to use a 1650 Super to play at 4K. You do need, however, a common baseline for all your testing, in order to compare performance. That comes in the form of using the same platform (CPU, RAM, etc), as well as the same graphical settings. You could argue for testing at High settings instead of Ultra but testing one GPU at High and another at Ultra invalidates the results.

Having low 1% alongside average fps would be a nice addition though.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Now now, no need to make things up, the internet hasn't been publicly available for that long...
I've been online about 25 years and before that, it wasn't even possible for most people to get online, unless you count BBSes.
But yes, fully agree with the rest, I don't block ads here,as they're not intrusive or annoying.

I was posting on bulletin board systems since the mid 80s. I consider that to be online.

It is not about hiding the offensive ads it is about supporting a site that would have them at all. Just because it is hidden doesn't mean our money isn't supporting something wrong. Principle is what separates the conscientious from those without.

I moderated a site with 50k active users for many years. When ethical decisions are made, even if hard or you may think it will cost you money, it's surprising how many step up to support.

I can't see ads anymore but when I did they weren't intrusive. Probably the least intrusive ads that I have seen on most sites.

Mouse Logitech G604s
I like how all these "new" members are in this thread. Which means they are actual TPU users who dont want to throw their name into the fire.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
So...does Patreon allow you to support your favorite site through PayPal yet?

Best,

Liquid Cool

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
A good selling point for this would be the ability to obtain/purchase old review samples, or at least get first dibs.

The rest of the benefits you list I don't care about, but I might send you a few dollars when I get paid simply because I love your content.