• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Support TechPowerUp on Patreon, Unlock New Features

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I'd pay for a subscription if there were actually any interesting,investigative articles here,sort of like pcgh plus.

paying for badges and nicknames - please,stop.
tpu is pretty much all advertisements for upcoming products in the news section and satandardized performance reviews (charts).
if it weren't for the gaming thread there'd be almost nothing interesting here.

the gist of the problem is really that tpu's senior news moderator takes conspiracy theories he gets from brand fanboys and publishes them with no verification.

What about the reviews? You can take from TPU just what you think is worth reading. There are quite a few forums that I never read because I have no interest in the topic.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
People being butthurt over that is ridiculous. There is legit 0 issue with it and ive been running on a key off one of those sites for both Windows 10 and Office 2019 with ZERO issues for over a year.

If you wanna pay out the ass for that software, be my guest. No one is stopping you.

They aren't actually legit though. Just because they activate doesn't mean you have a license to use them, which is what it's really about.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
What about the reviews? You can take from TPU just what you think is worth reading. There are quite a few forums that I never read because I have no interest in the topic.
agreed.
a lot of them are good,just thanks to the sheer number they do.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
- Revisit the methodology once a year or six months if you are bored.

seems your proposed methodology should be revisited very often ,maybe weekly, as gpu prices fluctuate unpredictably ; due this your proposed methodology will fail also

back to topic who want to support will and who don't, won't

@W1zzard in post #50 @damric proposed "ability to obtain/purchase old review samples " i'll go further by making a raffle ,only for patreons, of old reviewed hardware, if is allowed of-course

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
a raffle ,only for patreons
I thought of that and like the idea, but Patreon's rules for that are "nothing with a random chance element". Maybe we could come up with some sort of alternative

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I think there's some fundamental things that need to be addressed as far as news reporting before one decides to support the site.

Im talking about clickbait and 'sensationalist' articles and of course who could forget the hit peice on GamerNexus earlier in the year...

Do you know how badly that knocked TPUs reputation?

None at all if you ask me. Today is the first time I heard about that story.

I watched some Gamers Nexus videos prior to October 2019 to see if there is a base for those accusations... and that dude seems to show off Nvidia's products quite often.

Product placement or not, we can never know, its between private parties. And even so, its accepted form of advertisement, used a lot in movies.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
I like TPU very much! Thanx Mr. Wizzard+Mods for keeping it up since a lot of years.
just wanted to say something positive.

System Name B20221017 Pro SP1 R2 Gaming Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 CL30 64GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CF791 Curved Ultrawide
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11
- $3000: Stop the clickbaiting and senseless rumors in the main site by firing btarunr.
People really need to let that crap go and quit holding a grudge. It was an honest mistake.

I like TPU very much! Thanx Mr. Wizzard+Mods for keeping it up since a lot of years.
just wanted to say something positive.
:):toast::rockout::clap::peace::lovetpu:
I'll join you there. Everyone has their complaints and quibbles, but on the whole TPU is great place to read up on new advancements and industry news. It's also a great resource for learning, whether you're new to technology or a seasoned veteran of computing.

Oh and for the record, I have no problems with the Software "Key" sites. I've done the research and it's not illegal or shady. It's different from the way things once were. The world is changing and some people just don't understand that or know how to adapt.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
Steve is a shill at times and is a rabid fanboy at times.

He does sensationalist articles/videos.
He does click bait articles/videos.
He doesn't disclose where and when he gets 'gifts' or massive 'discounts' by vendors/suppliers/etc.
He will beat around the bush, saying he 'aquired' and the item is 'worth'. If he actually buys it he says so.
He is self interested and is a massive divo.
He takes cash and items directly from manufacturers and vendors.

He has stated, multiple times in many videos that he does not accept gifts nor any sort of compensation for his content (unless it's a paid advertiser spot. And in those cases he always makes sure that the advertiser does not compete in the same space as the product being reviewed).
When he's beating around the bush about acquiring something, it's because he's protecting his source. He got some Ryzen processors early, but not from AMD. So he had to keep those people who provided the processors to him quiet in order to protect their seller partnership with AMD. Also stated clearly in his videos.
I don't see much "Diva" behavior, but that's on you.
He doesn't take cash directly from manufacturers unless it's a paid advert spot. When he's provided with samples he uses them for reviews.
Sensationalist articles and videos and click bait are all part and parcel of trying to get eyeballs on content. When he rants, it's usually very justified.

None at all if you ask me. Today is the first time I heard about that story.

I watched some Gamers Nexus videos prior to October 2019 to see if there is a base for those accusations... and that dude seems to show off Nvidia's products quite often.

Product placement or not, we can never know, its between private parties. And even so, its accepted form of advertisement, used a lot in movies.

And of course he had a lot of videos on NVIDIA products in that time frame. NVIDIA was launching new product and all the vendors were providing samples for review. Have you never seen a product/news cycle before?

As for the actual OP here. @W1zzard , I know you state that the Patreon tier to remove ad content and gray market key seller ads is for people that dislike the gray market key sellers from appearing. I still can't condone them being here in the first place. Yes it's nice that you allow people to "not see it" by paying, but the fact remains that they are still advertising here, and that they are a blight (IMO) on the market.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
He has stated, multiple times in many videos that he does not accept gifts nor any sort of compensation for his content (unless it's a paid advertiser spot. And in those cases he always makes sure that the advertiser does not compete in the same space as the product being reviewed).
When he's beating around the bush about acquiring something, it's because he's protecting his source. He got some Ryzen processors early, but not from AMD. So he had to keep those people who provided the processors to him quiet in order to protect their seller partnership with AMD. Also stated clearly in his videos.
He doesn't take cash directly from manufacturers unless it's a paid advert spot. When he's provided with samples he uses them for reviews.
Sensationalist articles and videos and click bait are all part and parcel of trying to get eyeballs on content. When he rants, it's usually very justified.

I agree with all your points but I find Steve to be a diva and his rants are his shtick. I like reading Patrick's case reviews on GN and while I may not agree with Steve's CPU/GPU reviews all the time I do enjoy reading them and find them very thorough. That said GN written reviews are becoming less and less and the last CPU written reviews I recall was done by Patrick not Steve. Watching Steve play with his hair for 25 minutes while he goes on repetitive rant after rant and constantly changes thought mid sentence becomes tiresome. Obviously the video review is their bread and butter, the results speak for themselves, but personally I wished they would put up a written review on the web site as well.

As for the actual OP here. @W1zzard , I know you state that the Patreon tier to remove ad content and gray market key seller ads is for people that dislike the gray market key sellers from appearing. I still can't condone them being here in the first place.
But that is not ignorance on the part of W1zzard and TPU staff. Lots of people thought Steam and GOG were illegal because no physical disc was being supplied. It took years for people to get it into their heads that digital downloads are just as valid as a store bought copy. These software key sites are no different. It's just a new business model. It's perfectly legal.

Last edited:
System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

You do know he has to negotiate directly with those companies whom he places ads for in his videos. Depending on how they feel about him, the money paid for those highlights can go up, down, or even stop.

Sorry, I should have said products in return for loose agreements around maybe you can review these at some point in time or feature them. Not a gift then right?

As for 'Divo' behavior, look at anything that might impinge on his image. The most recent is his ranting outburst video about the 5600XT where he can't even keep the performance delta straight... He flip flops from saying it's from the original 5600XT bios to the 5700 and back again, using the same number. Towards the end he even says that his biggest or one of the issues is that people might blame him.

I'm sorry but protecting his source of long since available Quadros makes no sense.

I was fine with him shitting on the Radeon VII because it's not a n amazing gaming card, but it's the king of compute performance per dollar. I could fit six of them in a TR40 motherboard, watercool them all, add a bloody chiller, and still pay less than a single headless V100.

Why you ask... Well he didn't care about workstation or compute performance until he 'aquired' 2 V100 cards, worth $20K USD. Then he makes a big song and dance about the 2060 KO being so much faster at workstation tasks...

Yeah... Then he has nothing but NV in his personal boxes... He's human he's got bias built in, but there are things he does that doesn't leave him beyond reproach or skepticism.

Like I won't use him as a sole source for thermal paste wisdom. I do watch his videos for the year down parts and his news videos are a handy congregation of news stories, some of them I miss.

Steve knows his stuff, but I view him as a source of information, to be taken as part of several sources.

If he buys those samples from 'protected' sources, then he just has to say so. If he's given it for the review or to feature in a video series he should declare it. He should declare everything, every time, not rely on well I declared it once in a video ages ago.

Yeah, I still chuckle about how he had a X299 Gigabyte motherboard ad when he was reviewing AMD that was thumping the Intel CPUs that go in that motherboard... LoL

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
They aren't actually legit though. Just because they activate doesn't mean you have a license to use them, which is what it's really about.
My office key is tied to my Microsoft account. If Microsoft didn't like the key I'm sure they would have deactivated it by now

But that is not ignorance on the part of W1zzard and TPU staff. Lots of people thought Steam and GOG were illegal because no physical disc was being supplied. It took years for people to get it into their heads that digital downloads are just as valid as a store bought copy. These software key sites are no different. It's just a new business model. It's perfectly legal.
So why are these keys so much cheaper than what MS offers on their website? How much is MS making on each one? :p

And when will you finally post your sources? We would like to admire all the great research you've done. :)
My office key is tied to my Microsoft account. If Microsoft didn't like the key I'm sure they would have deactivated it by now
Keys are fine. License is not. That's the point.
Microsoft has no easy and sensible way to check if you're eligible to use a particular key. That's a disadvantage of offering bulk licenses to schools and institutions.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
So why are these keys so much cheaper than what MS offers on their website? How much is MS making on each one? :p

And when will you finally post your sources? We would like to admire all the great research you've done. :)

Microsoft has no easy and sensible way to check if you're eligible to use a particular key. That's a disadvantage of offering bulk licenses to schools and institutions.

If it was illegal I think Microsoft would say something about it... TPU is like the 3rd or 4th most popular tech site on the internet.. TPU wouldn't get away with illegal activities.

I don't know how any of it works but I would assume it's not illegal at all.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
Alexa ranks us above linustechtips, anantech, guru3d, gamersnexus.. by A LOT and everyone else besides tomshardware and pcpartpicker

What...?
:eek:
Surprise Sucka! LOL!

Alexa ranks us above linustechtips, anantech, guru3d, gamersnexus.. by A LOT and everyone else besides tomshardware and pcpartpicker
I had to look that up. I didn't realize just how popular TPU is. That's very cool! Not surprising really, just didn't know.

PC enthusiasts' sites != "tech"
But yes, in this niche TPU is around top 3. Which wasn't enough to get a 3950X for testing. :)

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

And of course he had a lot of videos on NVIDIA products in that time frame. NVIDIA was launching new product and all the vendors were providing samples for review. Have you never seen a product/news cycle before?

Don't know the person, but it sounds rubbish, there are no saints in the western world. A man gotta eat.

Production of hardware YouTube show requires resources and manpower.

Reviews must be published after the product launch (and not too late) to remain competitive with the other sites. He must get review samples from the vendors.

Google AdSense doesn't pay enough for this caliber. Most people use ad-blockers these days.

He probably does accept gifts and other forms of compensation and there is no problem with it as long as the reporting remains natural.

Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Oh and for the record, I have no problems with the Software "Key" sites. I've done the research and it's not illegal or shady. It's different from the way things once were. The world is changing and some people just don't understand that or know how to adapt.

is a grey market selling good keys which they don't own; a lot of companies buy thousand of keys with multiple activation and why not selling a few for own benefit...

Microsoft like it because they sold it already so they had no problem activating it; however you may have problems in case real owner will announce Microsoft that your key was lost(stolen) and than guess what ?

are cheaper because the it guy from a big company "borrowed" a few ones... i'm sure you understand...

correct keys are fine but licensing not; they don't check who is activating it as are sold and expect them to be activated but it may come a day when my above post will affect the buyer..

If it was illegal I think Microsoft would say something about it... TPU is like the 3rd or 4th most popular tech site on the internet.. TPU wouldn't get away with illegal activities.

I don't know how any of it works but I would assume it's not illegal at all.

Is a shady business and in court for sure will be declared as illegal ; none of these sellers are authorized by Microsoft,this is the point

we had a thread about this and i made more digging...for example scdkey , cdkoffers seems to belong to AMZGAME CO.,LTD , a UK based company; they had a lot of sites not only the key selling ones...

so these two above mentioned sites provide the same owner located 14 WELLS VIEW DRIVE LONDON UNITED KINGDOM BRJZ 9UL ; i didn't found the company at that address but the uk gov. has the AMZGAME CO.,LTD as registered under no.09703095 at Unit G25 Waterfront Studios, 1 Dock Road, London, United Kingdom, E16 1AH :

here we can see the company will be dissolved latest on 03.02.2020 as applied to strike off from registry; on filling history we can see who the owner is and also that company was declared as "dormant" ; dormant is good as they're excepted from taxes; is interesting how can dormant company can keep so many sites and sell....i'm sure is legal...now they're milking the cow on last days and vanish but sure will re-appear under other name but again dormant....

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Which is why I asked if this site is monetized properly. I know how much we make and were not maximized... and if this site is several times bigger...

So, what is this additional money going to be used for? Was that ever answered? I think you may get more volunteers knowing specifically what this is going for as compared to the 'perks' that wont push people over the edge. :)

Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM