• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Processors Hit with LVI Security Vulnerabilities, Mitigation Hits Performance Hard

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
The hell is this supposed to be ?

probab just having fun, he realeased a full video demo later explaining in very technical and acurate data his findings

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
At this point I think the only way Intel can fight these vulnerability discoveries is by killing the bug bounty program, or significantly reducing the bounty. The program has clearly sprung up a cottage industry of security researchers (uni professors and their college grad minions) bruteforcing Intel processors for vulnerabilities that they can write papers on (earn citations), report back to Intel, and claim the cash bounties. The BBP has become a fountainhead of headache for CTOs and CIOs.

AMD is safer only because its market footprint is too small in the datacenter space, most of these side-channel attacks affect datacenters, and you can't hack AMD processors for rich bounties (it's similar to the "Macs don't get viruses" fallacy of the 1990s and 2000s).

Shouldn't you be backing up statements like this with a reputable source you can cite, to prove this was a "fallacy"? The truth is that there's always been very little Mac malware in the wild, and all of current Mac malware, that I'm aware of, requires physical access and/or for the user to enter their password and install it themselves. As a Mac enthusiast since 1985, the only Mac "malware" I've ever seen in the real world was a Microsoft Word Macro virus.

This also seems like an unrelated and inappropriate dig.

Last edited:
As a Mac enthusiast since 1985, the only Mac "malware" I've ever seen in the real world was a Microsoft Word Macro virus.
And that's a short list. Here's another;

MacOS is solid for sure, however it is anything but bullet-proof.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
At this point I think the only way Intel can fight these vulnerability discoveries is by killing the bug bounty program, or significantly reducing the bounty. The program has clearly sprung up a cottage industry of security researchers (uni professors and their college grad minions) bruteforcing Intel processors for vulnerabilities that they can write papers on (earn citations), report back to Intel, and claim the cash bounties. The BBP has become a fountainhead of headache for CTOs and CIOs.

Ha, no.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Geez, guys. I'm all for a healthy debate, don't get me wrong... but do realize BTA is allowed to have an opinion, the same as anyone else.

The playing field isn't even is all we are saying. It is the complete marvel universe vs. thanos, oh wait, what did I just say, snap! Melodramatic much...
It isn't btarunr's fault, even. We are grimy over puns such as these:
AMD CPUs are vulnerable to a severe new side-channel attack"Finally, an issue with AMD CPUs!" - someone at Intel probably
I like this sort of thing, just my sort of zero risk bias. However, just look at what the focus is on:
AMD CPUs are vulnerable to a severe new side-channel attack
The gaslight is just too intense here. Either sarcastic for noninvolved, or overly dramatic for involved parties, there is just no redeeming quality of such shitty captioning.
That is what we should assemble against, imo.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Geez, guys. I'm all for a healthy debate, don't get me wrong... but do realize BTA is allowed to have an opinion, the same as anyone else.

I know, he is. I just disagree completely with it's foundations on the level I would a flat-earther.

But yes, he is.

There is something bewildering about the way these things are made public

Sensationalism sells, applies here as well as the media. Is it profesional? No. Does that stop anyone? No.

That kernel.org documentation conflicts with Microsoft published info. Who's telling the truth then?

Both? One applies to linux, and the other windows? You do realize kernel.org parameters are for the linux kernel and not the MS one, right?

Name a ransomware that leverages a CPU-level vulnerability. Bonus points for one that leverages a side-channel attack vector.

Survivership bias. It only takes one.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Both? One applies to linux, and the other windows? You do realize kernel.org parameters are for the linux kernel and not the MS one, right?

I read through that later, I didn't get why he replied it that way, I was thinking about the powershell tool also switching mitigations, with the same idea in mind. Win10 doesn't allow to disable Spectre V1, it's baked in. Easy to test... 4K reads writes for my Optane. They crumble a bit with each mitigation. On win7 those are 300MB/s on Win10 those are 170MB/s. Google's retpoline helped a bit for, but still... if this one is promised to be much harder penalty... no good at all.

The other thing is... if a piece of software gets recompiled with worse feature set, having workarounds... it will be slower by definition... Basically... there ain't no good scenario, good ending here.

The idea the bounty program should be accelerated as much they can, to ensure future products don't suffer from it anymore. This generation is tossable for sure.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I know, he is. I just disagree completely with it's foundations on the level I would a flat-earther.

But yes, he is.

And that's fine. I'm just calling out the disproportionally large number of people in the comments doing the same, I suspected just because it's BTA. You don't usually see this amount of people arguing with a single normal forum member... unless they say something really, really dumb.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Bad...Very bad...

AMD FX 9590 to Intel 9900K: "I am no longer afraid from you!".

Last edited:
Much Ado Bout Nothing -
Security Disclosures on Theoretical Intel CPU Flaws Are Becoming Ridiculous

"Unfortunately, it’s starting to look like the PR departments working with security researchers the world over have taken a very real problem with problematic leakage of data in side-channel attacks and are now spinning theoretical scenarios that aren’t backed up by the data in the documents themselves. "

In other words, security researchers (or security research firms’ PR divisions) are now putting out reports claiming Intel CPU’s are catastrophically at-risk from theoretical attacks that haven’t even been created yet, even though these attacks are incredibly difficult or downright theoretical. This is an absurdity.
Asking a company to design hardware intelligently to mitigate existing or well-known risks is one thing. Asking it to design hardware that secures against esoteric attacks that haven’t even been demonstrated in real-world testing yet is ridiculous. Even Bitdefender’s Director of Threat Research agrees that this attack isn’t one Intel should realistically bother securing against because it’s so hard to deploy.

We’re starting to hear about ‘theoretical’ risks to both Intel and AMD and threats that could emerge someday, but, you know, don’t actually exist right now. There’s nothing wrong with planning ahead, but given the long development cycles that CPUs go through, there’s no practical way for Intel to build a 2020 CPU to handle every possible security flaw that might be found in software, hardware, or both by 2025. The nature of security flaws is that after you patch one, people go out and find another. I'm increasingly convinced that Intel isn’t being treated fairly by these reports, and it’s not just Intel. Earlier this week we covered another instance where the PR verbiage around an AMD flaw didn’t match what the actual security researchers said in public.

These "security warnings" are akin to "Well we all could fly of the planet .... if we lived in a world w/o gravity."

Much Ado Bout Nothing -
Security Disclosures on Theoretical Intel CPU Flaws Are Becoming Ridiculous

"Unfortunately, it’s starting to look like the PR departments working with security researchers the world over have taken a very real problem with problematic leakage of data in side-channel attacks and are now spinning theoretical scenarios that aren’t backed up by the data in the documents themselves. "

In other words, security researchers (or security research firms’ PR divisions) are now putting out reports claiming Intel CPU’s are catastrophically at-risk from theoretical attacks that haven’t even been created yet, even though these attacks are incredibly difficult or downright theoretical. This is an absurdity.
Asking a company to design hardware intelligently to mitigate existing or well-known risks is one thing. Asking it to design hardware that secures against esoteric attacks that haven’t even been demonstrated in real-world testing yet is ridiculous. Even Bitdefender’s Director of Threat Research agrees that this attack isn’t one Intel should realistically bother securing against because it’s so hard to deploy.

We’re starting to hear about ‘theoretical’ risks to both Intel and AMD and threats that could emerge someday, but, you know, don’t actually exist right now. There’s nothing wrong with planning ahead, but given the long development cycles that CPUs go through, there’s no practical way for Intel to build a 2020 CPU to handle every possible security flaw that might be found in software, hardware, or both by 2025. The nature of security flaws is that after you patch one, people go out and find another. I'm increasingly convinced that Intel isn’t being treated fairly by these reports, and it’s not just Intel. Earlier this week we covered another instance where the PR verbiage around an AMD flaw didn’t match what the actual security researchers said in public.

These "security warnings" are akin to "Well we all could fly of the planet .... if we lived in a world w/o gravity."
While that is a good article with many good and valid points, the LVI problem is important to bring to the public eye as mitigations need to be developed for business and enterprise. End users are very unlikely to be affected by this as they have nothing of value to warrant the effort of an attack, but large companies and entities need active protection.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Phoronix tested with Linux and ... it's not good ...

Not as bad as I expected actually. The more practical graph you should be referencing for all but the most secure workloads is the "LFENCE before Ret" one. It's the mitigation that will most likely be used rather than the more extreme ones like "LFENCE + Indirect Branch + RET" which strikes me as overkill and will most likely be made a kernel option.

No one is going to lose 90% of their performance unless they are running a state nuclear program.

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
1584156155058.png

your xeon can now be a Celerom Yay

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
View attachment 148091
your xeon can now be a Celerom Yay

If you opt for it sure. There is no way that is going to be the default set of Mitigations. You should be looking at LFENCE Before RET as the worst case, LFENCE Before indirect branch as the best.

All this probing around accounts for ai generated attacks right? It is only difficult because it isn't native for us. Targetting around for memory imprints is detective work and I don't think gerrymandering around the issue would be too difficult for ai once it connects the dots. Literal TAS on the fly. It's hard? -Say no more fam...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
All this probing around accounts for ai generated attacks right? It is only difficult because it isn't native for us. Targetting around for memory imprints is detective work and I don't think gerrymandering around the issue would be too difficult for ai once it connects the dots. Literal TAS on the fly. It's hard? -Say no more fam...

I really don't even know what you are trying to say to formulate a reply.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I really don't even know what you are trying to say to formulate a reply.
Something about it being easier for a AI trained at carrying out these theoretical, and hypothetical exploits in a CPU?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Something about it being easier for a AI trained at carrying out these theoretical, and hypothetical exploits in a CPU?

I don't think an AI could figure out these exploits. Too situational, requiring human interaction and response.

I'm not the go to guy, but this local member explained it with a text wall and by the look of this I'm only 'half-wrong' which is accurate enough to sum up this exhibit.
This collide+probe load+reload script kinda serves to break ASLR encryption from 28 to 15 bits on most accounts. It might not seem much, but 65K is a lot sooner than 268M through brute forcing. Coupled with that, presuming the way predictor gets decyphered even more, the suspect attack vector as described to me goes as such,
  • We identify targets beforehand(this vulnerability is only the tool, not the means),
  • We spoof memory,
  • We disable cpu caching,
  • We flush caches,
  • We access memory first(this is very important to pull it off without concurrent programs reaching for their turn of memory),
  • We pull spoofed memory which goes to L3,
  • Our accessed memory is in the next sector, however collide+probe somehow makes the sectors enter "probe from access-violate next sector" which is in the next L3 page/word/tag(I haven't figured that part),
  • Through magic voila we now have data that is 2^-15 the data we need.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
ASLR encryption

What the heck is ASLR encryption? You do know ASLR is a randomization technique for addresss space layouts and doesn't have anything to do with encryption really, right?