• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Processors Hit with LVI Security Vulnerabilities, Mitigation Hits Performance Hard

What the heck is ASLR encryption? You do know ASLR is a randomization technique for addresss space layouts and doesn't have anything to do with encryption really, right?
Thank you, right as you said I'm not up for correct terminology.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Thank you, right as you said I'm not up for correct terminology.
I think @R-T-B's point is that If you're not getting the termanology right, what is supposed to make us think that you actually understand the problem correctly? So let's go through the steps you described:
  • We identify targets beforehand(this vulnerability is only the tool, not the means),
  • We spoof memory,
  • We disable cpu caching,
  • We flush caches,
  • We access memory first(this is very important to pull it off without concurrent programs reaching for their turn of memory),
  • We pull spoofed memory which goes to L3,
  • Our accessed memory is in the next sector, however collide+probe somehow makes the sectors enter "probe from access-violate next sector" which is in the next L3 page/word/tag(I haven't figured that part),
  • Through magic voila we now have data that is 2^-15 the data we need.
1. Unless you have root access to the machine, you're not going to know where the data your looking for is. So I don't understand how this is a realistic step in a real attack. You also need to know that this memory isn't going to change or move, so there are a lot of baked in assumptions here.
2. What the heck is "spoofing memory"? Are you overwriting memory for something else? Don't you at least need root access to the machine to do that? Something like this would require ring-0 access on the VM host (not even ring -1 access from a VM,) to do something like that across bounds of a VM.
3. Ok, but do you have control to do that from a VM?
4. Ok, but still not sure if you can do this from a VM.
5. How do you plan on preventing that from happening? If it's a server, that's out of your control.
6. Once again, what is this "spoofing" you speak of? Writing to cache has the same kinds of constraints as writing to main memory and you're probably not doing this without ring 0 access.
7. What are you doing that forces the CPU to read from the next page page, word, or tag in cache? An access violation shouldn't scan for another item in cache, it should generate a machine check exception.
8. :wtf:

I think @R-T-B's point is that If you're not getting the terminology right, what is supposed to make us think that you actually understand the problem correctly?
This sums it up. It's why I didn't respond. He doesn't seem to understand the context of the documentation, nor the practical application of the functionality of the construct of the proposed attack scenario. However, I'll give him credit for trying to understand it as he's putting in way too much effort to be trolling.

The part that I might have missed is this gentleman was speaking about Intel and told it right away that AMD was too contained with the addition of page attribution tables in zen+ generation. He kept on going at a spectre deliberation, but I couldn't delineate the two. Anyway, you word as good as mine, folks...

The part that I might have missed is this gentleman was speaking about Intel and told it right away that AMD was too contained with the addition of page attribution tables in zen+ generation. He kept on going at a spectre deliberation, but I couldn't delineate the two. Anyway, you word as good as mine, folks...
AMD is completely unaffected by this new problem. The addressing system works a different way with everything AMD has made in the last 12 years. This is exclusively about Intel. At least that's what the data and documentation says.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Sure, but even with hardware vulnerabilities, their usefulness has to be measured in practicality. Spectre is a great example of a vulnerability that has almost zero usefulness beyond an academic paper.

Sure, but even with hardware vulnerabilities, their usefulness has to be measured in practicality. Spectre is a great example of a vulnerability that has almost zero usefulness beyond an academic paper.
I would advocate the contrary - meltdown is the more lethal vulnerability, but the easiest to patch. Spectre is different which makes it the benchmark vulnerability for this reason.

AMD is completely unaffected by this new problem. The addressing system works a different way with everything AMD has made in the last 12 years. This is exclusively about Intel. At least that's what the data and documentation says.
I was transposing the commentary present for AMD to this argument. Have some sympathy! :)

We should still keep comparing the two in my opinion cause lvi, as stated before, is pretty much theoretical only. It is a duel between amd spectre and intel spectre-class vulnerabilities.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
AMD is completely unaffected by this new problem.

As far as we know. The docs are careful to state that AMD very well could and maybe even SHOULD be affected by this, they just could not make it happen in practice.

As far as we know. The docs are careful to state that AMD very well could and maybe even SHOULD be affected by this, they just could not make it happen in practice.
They state even in the white paper that you need meltdown for starters.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
They state even in the white paper that you need meltdown for starters.

If true, then AMD cannot be affected by this particular vulnerability.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
The docs are careful to state that AMD very well could and maybe even SHOULD be affected by this, they just could not make it happen in practice.
While I'll admit my understanding of how L1/L2/L3 cache actually functions is limited, what I do know strongly suggests that Intel's and AMD's implementations differ enough that a vulnerability for one can not be assumed for the other.

If true, then AMD cannot be affected by this particular vulnerability.
And then there's this.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
While I'll admit my understanding of how L1/L2/L3 cache actually functions is limited, what I do know strongly suggests that Intel's and AMD's implementations differ enough that a vulnerability for one can not be assumed for the other.

And then there's this.

As I admitted, I needed more caffiene/had a brain fart. Somehow got it confused with Spectre briefly.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Not just caches, the microarchitectural implementation (and resulting behaviour) of various buffers that are attacked in recent vulnerabilities are different.
Meltdown in particular seems to be a straightforward bug in Intel's design. One that is complex to abuse but still a bug.

Not just caches, the microarchitectural implementation (and resulting behaviour) of various buffers that are attacked in recent vulnerabilities are different.
Meltdown in particular seems to be a straightforward bug in Intel's design. One that is complex to abuse but still a bug.
Well, the explanation I've got from the expert is that this type of attack has no vector on AMD just because the PSP security processor does not have its own cache to be exploited like SGX.

System Name Carnival of Glass
Processor Intel i9 14900K (previously 12900K/9900K, 8086K/Xeon X5670)
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG SONIC (Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7/390 Des/X58A-UD7)
Cooling Corsair Hydro open loop, 480mm XR7, 360mm XR5!
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator 6000MT DDR5 @6466 CL36-38-38-72-114-2
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3090 w/Corsair XG7 block (previously 1080Ti/970) +200 core +800 RAM +shunt mod
Storage 1x 500GB Samsung Evo 970 boot, 1TB ADATA, 2TB Sabrent RQ, 2x2TB Crucial MX, 4TB WD SN850X, 16TB NAS!
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" 4K, dual Acer 24" 1080p LED, 65" Panasonic UHD 4K TV/55" Toshiba 4K UHD in bedroom
Case Corsair 7000X (previously Corsair X570 Crystal SE)
Audio Device(s) Onboard + EVGA Nu Audio Pro 7.1, Yamaha 4K AV Amp, Rotel RX-970B + 4x Kef Coda IIIs :D
Power Supply Corsair HX1500i Modular PSU
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed (previously G600 MMO)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum (previously G19)
VR HMD Quest 3 + Pro controllers
Software Windows 11 x64 Enterprise (legal!)
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18709841 https://valid.x86.fr/s9zmw1 https://valid.x86.fr/t0vrwy
Everyone is still overlooking that a vulnerability much like Meltdown was found to attack AMD CPUs and a "RowHammer" type can attack anything with RAM+CPU so..only Virtual Machine hosts need poop themselves, maybe? Ah well, at least Intel's silicon is of higher quality and can handle its own current and voltage requirements.. In fact anything with a CPU and RAM should be nervous at this rate, my Oscilloscope is worried! The lines on the screen are all wavy.. Oh wait, it's supposed to do that! ^-^

a vulnerability much like Meltdown was found to attack AMD CPUs
Meltdown or spectre? Meltdown is more prolific and easier to debug. You just fence the user kernel from the system and all is well. Spectre is spoofing the system.
a "RowHammer" type can attack anything with RAM+CPU
Another overgeneralization. A row cycle takes what;
According to this Micron whitepaper, an All-Bank Refresh is issued an average of every 3.9µs and takes 295ns to complete.
Come on now, let's not assume the technology forefront is not armed against stupid ddos attempts...
Same Bank Refresh only requires that one bank in each bank group be idle in order for the command to process. The other 12 banks do not have to idle and can continue to operate normally.
REFsb commands are issued every 1.95µs but complete in 130ns. Using REFsb reduces the impact on idle latency from 11.2ns to 5ns.

Everyone is still overlooking that a vulnerability much like Meltdown was found to attack AMD CPUs and a "RowHammer" type can attack anything with RAM+CPU so..only Virtual Machine hosts need poop themselves, maybe? Ah well, at least Intel's silicon is of higher quality and can handle its own current and voltage requirements.. In fact anything with a CPU and RAM should be nervous at this rate, my Oscilloscope is worried! The lines on the screen are all wavy.. Oh wait, it's supposed to do that! ^-^
Except that you need physical access to exploit that one as well..