• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Store Finally Adds Automatic Refunds

We've recently enabled the ability to self-refund qualifying purchases online by yourself. When you sign into your account on the Epic Games website, click the "Account" dropdown in the top right corner of the webpage, go to the "Transactions" tab and click the game title. If the game is eligible for a self-service refund, please click the "Refund" option to initiate the refund process.

All games are eligible for a refund within 14 days of purchase for any reason. However, you must not have played more than 2 hours.You will not be eligible for games from which you have been banned or for which you have otherwise violated the terms of service. In addition, you may not be eligible for refunds if Epic determines that you are abusing the refund policy.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

They're improving fast and winning exclusives left and right. Steam shills are always angry because they hate competition. "Windows store bad. EA Origin store bad. Ubisoft UPlay bad. Epic Store bad."

Epic should take it up a notch and make Unreal Engine 5 exclusive to their platform. LOL

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
... And still no shopping cart...:kookoo:

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
... And still no shopping cart...:kookoo:

Yeah it is puzzling, but that kinda confirms that its a niche feature for a store such as this. Its apparently not used enough to care about, I'm sure its on a backlog somewhere...

System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
They're improving fast and winning exclusives left and right. Steam shills are always angry because they hate competition. "Windows store bad. EA Origin store bad. Ubisoft UPlay bad. Epic Store bad."

Epic should take it up a notch and make Unreal Engine 5 exclusive to their platform. LOL

Because winning exclusives is suppose to be good? and if you support that you are just as bad as they are.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Because winning exclusives is suppose to be good? and if you support that you are just as bad as they are.

You still don't get it, do you. Thanks for reminding me btw that I still have to download GTA V.

For free.

You still don't get it, do you. Thanks for reminding me btw that I still have to download GTA V.

For free.

That sure looks like what a legit competing shop would do. And making sales out of your own pocket incurring in a loss with each game sold. And getting exclusives for more money than they will make in their whole lifetime just so the other shops don't get it too.

Promoting this kind of unfair competition is what you get into trouble in the long run.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That sure looks like what a legit competing shop would do. And making sales out of your own pocket incurring in a loss with each game sold. And getting exclusives for more money than they will make in their whole lifetime just so the other shops don't get it too.

Promoting this kind of unfair competition is what you get into trouble in the long run.

Its called investment and strategy, and Epic is not being secretive about it either. This is not unfair competition... Valve could do the same thing tomorrow. Or EA. Or Ubisoft. All deep pockets and all playing by the rules. Exclusivity is normal and it happens everywhere, it is a generally, widely accepted phenomenon in business. Somehow, in gaming it is not? That is one heavy rock you've been under... Its not even an exclusivity towards us, the customer, because we can just enter the service freely with no strings attached; heck, we even get rewarded for it. You or I are not part of those exclusivity deals, why would we care? We never used to care; there have been consoles around locking us out of content ten times harder. Want to come in? Pony up 300-600 bucks first, thx. Oh you want online? Add sub pls, thx. Or what about cloud services? Pay monthly to enter. And note: they are cutting up content releases too to push those services. No freebies. Maybe a discount when you join, or a 1 dollar tryout period. Gone? Poof, gone is all you've done. Want game X, Y and Z too? Please take premium membership, oh and we actually don't even have game Z, you need another service for that... and by the by, game Y is going to get taken off in two weeks, so be quick about it...

Epic's agenda is very clear, and its agenda is beneficial to the end customer, us. Have you not noticed how suddenly a whole range of non-MTX driven content is getting much more exposure? The 'real' games, with no strings attached. The adventures, single player focused, 'pretty and kind' type of games, there is a much greater variety on a front page of an Epic Store than what you can find on EA, Ubisoft, or even Steam. Steam probably has a similar offering, but it is so fragmented you can't find the better half of it, and the other half is ancient.

IF that even gets us into trouble in the long run, let's at least enjoy it while it lasts. But if you speak of 'good and fair competition'... I think EGS and the type of product it highlights is the very definition of it. The real scam is not in the Stores, its in the games, and those games are handily, largely avoided by Epic. This does not even take into account the obvious financial benefit which will ultimately benefit end users too; after all, if you can shave 15-20% off your marketing budget, there is spare money that can go into anything to make a better product. In addition, if the Store is willing to guarantee a base income of sales, its easier to take a risk with a somewhat 'less popular' type of game concept. These are all things we should applaud, not block.

Its simple: they found a win-win situation with tons of (independant) publishers, and it enriches the market, not just with the games, but with the very necessary reality check on what people look for in gaming. I hope they thrive. And by the way... using your profits from a successful release to fund the next venture has been the standard procedure for game publishers since...well, forever.

Epic is no different than Valve in that regard, and they might evolve into a similar sleeping giant over time, who knows. If you fight Epic now, in the current state of the market, with cloud services pushing out fair game development, you've seriously, utterly lost sight of reality. Sweeney saw it coming and acted upon it.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

For free.

He's right though. Exclusives in general suck.

Not anti-any-store here, competition is good. But they do.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3

I do think that exclusives on consoles suck, because you are now hardware locked from using it across platforms. On PC I can still play the game no matter what store it comes from. And since I use the game stores to buy the game instead of launch the game, the exclusivity of a title is irrelevant to me.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Your loss not mine, it does confirm your attention span is problematically short.

Exclusivity is a way to increase competitiveness, and thus, compete. Otherwise all you have left is competing on price, which is a race to the bottom -- and definitely not beneficial to decent budget for game development. It is extremely common in entertainment, and never really applies to the customer - it does not in this case.

Exclusivity is shit when you are tied to a service to access it. EGS is not that. The launcher is free. A service such as offered through cloud gaming is not. If the exclusivity applied to them, then yes, by all means, burn them down.

I think exclusivity is just fine, what really sucks is vendor lock-in / closed ecosystems. But those walls are coming down, really. Console exclusives end up on PC. In part due to EGS...
Maybe the disconnect exists in the idea that a launcher is also considered a lock-in of the game. But in that, Steam is no different. No Steam, no game unless you crack it.

I do think that exclusives on consoles suck, because you are now hardware locked from using it across platforms. On PC I can still play the game no matter what store it comes from. And since I use the game stores to buy the game instead of launch the game, the exclusivity of a title is irrelevant to me.

Its pretty stunning that this sort of common sense is not common on this subject. I mean... does this really need explanation I wonder. How low can we go

Last edited: