• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Witcher Franchise Soars Past 50 Million Games Sold

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Third person may be more engaging from a gameplay perspective, but if it is realism you want, then it must be 1st person.

You won’t get the option for third person combat in a real gunfight, with all its limitation on perspective etc. You’re going to see what you see in your field of view when it cones to life-threatening combat, no matter how many drones and advanced optics are on the the battlefield.

That's incorrect, if you look at the gear a lot of advanced soldiers use. I saw a video on it a couple years ago, guns with cameras that brings a camera feed to the soldiers helmet are actively being used in the military, etc. All they have to do is point the gun around a corner a little bit, no exposure, and get a 3rd person field video feed of everything to see what there next move will be. On the go, fast and tactical. Allowing for creation of new strategies on the fly.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Giving the player the ability to see around corners and where the character's eyes can't see isn't making things harder, it's essentially cheating. 3rd person shooters are casual shooters.

3rd person is fine for strategy based games but being 3rd person, it's far less immersive. CP Project Red choose well when they choose first person.

Yes cannot beat the unknown, and finding that the guy up and left while you you were hiding behind some thing.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
That's incorrect, if you look at the gear a lot of advanced soldiers use. I saw a video on it a couple years ago, guns with cameras that brings a camera feed to the soldiers helmet are actively being used in the military, etc. All they have to do is point the gun around a corner a little bit, no exposure, and get a 3rd person field video feed of everything to see what there next move will be. On the go, fast and tactical. Allowing for creation of new strategies on the fly.
Sigh...spoken like a true armchair videogame warrior. Things you speak of are not available service-wide, nor are they completely relied upon, because things break, systems go down etc, inc the real world. In the military, the best plans become go to hell as soon as combat starts.

The only thing a ground-pounder has are his/her teammates and their individual weapon, and what little they can see from their perspective. Training is even done this way equally as much as with high tech equipment because it won’t always be available.

Teaching note: Strategies rarely change. Strategy is the coat of paint you give your living room wall. Tactics are what are implement to push the strategy for the battlefield, and thise do change on the fly.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sigh...spoken like a true armchair videogame warrior. Things you speak of are not available service-wide, nor are they completely relied upon, because things break, systems go down etc, inc the real world. In the military, the best plans become go to hell as soon as combat starts.

The only thing a ground-pounder has are his/her teammates and their individual weapon, and what little they can see from their perspective. Training is even done this way equally as much as with high tech equipment because it won’t always be available.

Teaching note: Strategies rarely change. Strategy is the coat of paint you give your living room wall. Tactics are what are implement to push the strategy for the battlefield, and thise do change on the fly.

Yeah I agree with all of that, but the tech does work and has been used before, therefore there is nothing wrong with my analogy either. So... I guess continue to act high and mighty. lulz later g

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Yeah I agree with all of that, but the tech does work and has been used before, therefore there is nothing wrong with my analogy either. So... I guess continue to act high and mighty. lulz later g
No, I’m just giving you knowledge from experience. Things are not as advanced nor as clearcut as video or book learning might lead you to believe. This is why a first person perspective in gaming is harder.

Every combat veteran would have loved to fight their battles in third person. If you don’t want to accept something that runs counter to your belief, I can’t stop you nor will I be upset. You are in charge of your own learning.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
That is your opinion. My opinion is that it makes it more engaging especially of the game offers a lot of variables and opportunities for strategy in positioning.

No, it's fact that you can see much more in 3rd person shooters. That's a trait of the perspective, that's not arguable.

Also, with drones and advanced optics being used on modern battlefields, I would argue third person is actually more accurate in modern combat than first.

This makes zero sense. When a soldier controls a drone he's controlling it in first person. Even if you assumed that the drone kept a fixed distance from the soldier and said soldier could have the drone's camera feed overlayed over his vision (which is not possible currently and brings it's own large set of issues), it's an extremely bad idea to have something making noise and being obvious constantly giving away your position. Real life isn't a 3rd person shooter, where there's a invisible camera constantly following the player. In addition, that's assuming you somehow got it to work indoors. Depending on the camera distance, many 3rd person games choose to cross section the building because it isn't possible to do that perspective and still have a view of the interior.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No, it's fact that you can see much more in 3rd person shooters. That's a trait of the perspective, that's not arguable.

Um no. This makes zero sense. When a soldier controls a drone he's controlling it in first person. Even if you assumed that the drone kept a fixed distance from the soldier and said soldier could have the drone's camera feed overlayed over his vision (which is not possible currently and brings it's own large set of issues), it's an extremely bad idea to have something making noise and being obvious constantly giving away your position. Real life isn't a 3rd person shooter, where there's a invisible camera constantly following the player. In addition, that's assuming you somehow got it to work indoors. Depending on the camera distance, many 3rd person games choose to cross section the building because it isn't possible to do that perspective and still have a view of the interior.

I guess we are watching different technology documentaries then, cause I have seen othrerwise in regards to latest tech on actual combat fields with special ops, etc. I think it was a Popular Science issue once, I can't quite remember. I read a lot of magazines and watch a lot of documentaries.

So your opinion is yours, mine is mine. Take care.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I guess we are watching different technology documentaries then, cause I have seen othrerwise in regards to latest tech on actual combat fields with special ops, etc. I think it was a Popular Science issue once, I can't quite remember. I read a lot of magazines and watch a lot of documentaries.

So your opinion is yours, mine is mine. Take care.

In otherwords, you can't be bothered to debate on the material of the subject and won't link anything to backup your latest claim that you read something somewhere.

And again, it isn't opinion that 3rd person comes with it's own drawbacks inherent to the perspective (as explained above). Try as you might. No one here is trying to dunk on 3rd person games. It's your stubborn refusal of the facts that you got yourself into this position of denial. Each perspective has it's plus and minuses.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
In otherwords, you can't be bothered to debate on the material of the subject and won't link anything to backup your latest claim that you read something somewhere.

And again, it isn't opinion that 3rd person comes with it's own drawbacks inherent to the perspective (as explained above). Try as you might. No one here is trying to dunk on 3rd person games. It's your stubborn refusal of the facts that you got yourself into this position of denial. Each perspective has it's plus and minuses.

yeah I am going to go through my backlog of thousands of magazines to just find the article for you. lol nah, welcome to my ignore list, don't have time for this nonsense, later g

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
yeah I am going to go through my backlog of thousands of magazines to just find the article for you. lol nah, welcome to my ignore list, don't have time for this nonsense, later g
The thing is that what you are saying now seems to deviate a bit from the first statement about "immersion". Third person does give you more visibility, but that's not how you are going about your daily life. Then you used a very perticuliar example of using AR in the military. The Q warrior of BAE system appears to enhance first person, but you don't actually interact with the world in third person. Every other exemples that i've seen is the same : all you get is an HUD on top of your first person view, you don't get a full video stream at the third person to replace your eyes.
1590997193223.png

The fact that first person is more limited, is exactly what makes it thrilling. There's a sense of danger that is stronger, because you don't have an all mighty field of view. It's an hindrance that is used as a gameplay element. You don't like it ? That's fine. But it's not an inferior game design choice by any means.

People where bitching about metroid prime going first person, but that didn't stopped it from being a critic and commercial sucess:
1590997536989.png

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The thing is that what you are saying now seems to deviate a bit from the first statement about "immersion". Third person does give you more visibility, but that's not how you are going about your daily life. Then you used a very perticuliar example of using AR in the military. The Q warrior of BAE system appears to enhance first person, but you don't actually interact with the world in third person. Every other exemples that i've seen is the same : all you get is an HUD on top of your first person view, you don't get a full video stream at the third person to replace your eyes.
View attachment 157479

The fact that first person is more limited, is exactly what makes it thrilling. There's a sense of danger that is stronger, because you don't have an all mighty field of view. It's an hindrance that is used as a gameplay element. You don't like it ? That's fine. But it's not an inferior game design choice by any means.

People where bitching about metroid prime going first person, but that didn't stopped it from being a critic and commercial sucess:
View attachment 157480

that wasn't the one I was referring to. but thanks for your opinion, my opinion is still the same.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
that wasn't the one I was referring to. but thanks for your opinion, my opinion is still the same.
Except your opinion discounts first hand experience. The world and combat is not 3rd person. Any game that does that gives an extreme advantage to the player. It’s easier and many people prefer that fake sense of visibility of the world. It can be very fun, though not realistic.

But if you want immersion and real world difficulty, 1st person is the gameplay you go for. It really depends upon what your prime criteria are for gaming.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
I tried to find what you were refering to. I really tried, but there's nothing besides AR, camera used for monitoring, or a camera allowing you to have a panoramic point of view, but only used in vehicules. So don't blame people to not see this as being mainstream when it's so hard to find any intel about it.

I get where you are coming from, 90% of the games that I'm playing are third person, the only fp games that I've really enjoyed where the bioshock, the metroid primes, and mirror's edge to an extent. I just think that those games would have lost a lot of their personality if you could switch to tp like in skyrim. Prime had some nice details like being able to see samus eyes reflecting on the visor when things get crazy. Bioshock would have lost all it's oppressive atmosphere, if you didn't had the vulnerability of the fp view. Getting chased by a big daddy while having no idea of how close he is was part of the fun