• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

American FDA Approves Video Game as ADHD Treatment, Makes it Available as a Prescription

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
With debates around the nature of video games' influence on psyches and behavior usually being surrounded with violence-related claims, it is certainly refreshing to see something like this happening. The American FDA (Federal Drug Administration) has recently permitted marketing of the first specifically-developed video game designed with the intention of serving as a treatment for ADHD. Under the slogan "it's time to play your medicine", the game, EndeavorRx (AKL-T01), is being marketed for children between the ages of eight and 12. It was designed to "to directly target and activate neural systems through the presentation of sensory stimuli and motor challenges to improve cognitive functioning."

The FDA has issued this permit on the basis of five different studies involving more than 600 children diagnosed with ADHD, where they were encouraged to play this particular video game. Following the test results, a measurable decrease or even dissipation of attention deficit levels in a number of ADHD-related benchmarks were seen. However, not all is green on this side of the pasture: the FDA in its approval also mentioned some verifiable, but not serious, adverse effects after the children were exposed to the EndeavorRx-based therapy, such as frustration, headache, dizziness, emotional reaction, and aggression. The FDA themselves say that the clinical trial results do not suggest this videogame prescription could be an alternative to ADHD drug-specific prescriptions, however. But it could be a first step between an ADHD diagnosis and drug-based treatments. Check out a video of the game after the break.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Not going to say ADHD is BS, but I believe a lot of kids get it because they're not allowed to live like kids. Parents put so much pressure on their kids these days. They need to meet certain achievements in school, they need to perform either an instrument or in some kind of sport and so on. They're not allowed enough play time, especially outside with other kids, if they're allowed their own time at all, due to over protective parents. No wonder some kids to crazy.

In hindsight, I believe I was very lucky to get to grow up on the countryside, as I could roam around freely and do pretty much whatever I wanted without any concern. Back then, I wished I lived in a village or town, as there weren't that many friends around, just a couple of neighbour's kids, but at the same time, there was also close to zero risk that something bad would happen.

I think it's wrong to feed kids a bunch of drugs, just so they behave the way their parents want them to behave. We're not made to fit into cookie cutter moulds, but this seems to be what "society" expects from us.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
this seems to be what "society" expects from us.
Sit down and be a good little drone.
I believe a lot of kids get it because they're not allowed to live like kids.
A lot of that may very well be true. Can't let little Johnny outside, he might stub his toe. Can't let little Johnny ride a bike, he might scuff his knee. :kookoo:

I remember when I first learned to ride a bike, I fell down. I bled. But you know what? I got back up on that bike and I learned.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Not going to say ADHD is BS, but I believe a lot of kids get it because they're not allowed to live like kids. Parents put so much pressure on their kids these days. They need to meet certain achievements in school, they need to perform either an instrument or in some kind of sport and so on. They're not allowed enough play time, especially outside with other kids, if they're allowed their own time at all, due to over protective parents. No wonder some kids to crazy.

In hindsight, I believe I was very lucky to get to grow up on the countryside, as I could roam around freely and do pretty much whatever I wanted without any concern. Back then, I wished I lived in a village or town, as there weren't that many friends around, just a couple of neighbour's kids, but at the same time, there was also close to zero risk that something bad would happen.

I think it's wrong to feed kids a bunch of drugs, just so they behave the way their parents want them to behave. We're not made to fit into cookie cutter moulds, but this seems to be what "society" expects from us.
I feel you are absolutely right but it is not about where you live. I have a 3 year old and I lament that she will have no idea what it means to be a kid like I did. As an example of what I am talking about do you remember when NBC News would say at the start of the 11 O'clock news "It's 11 PM do you know where your kids are". Only the most extreme cases would not be like 98% of kids in my generation with the rule of "make sure you are home before the street lights come on" and I was talking about this issue with someone the other day. When I told them that going outside meant that as a kid you had 2 lives. They did not understand what I meant so hd to tell them about things like tag, British bulldog. Tackle football in the fall, baseball in the summer. I have always been into video games but the only time I really played them as a kid was when it was raining (One of my friends had a Commodore 64). I have lived in the Toronto (Canada) area most of my life.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro

A lot of that may very well be true. Can't let little Johnny outside, he might stub his toe. Can't let little Johnny ride a bike, he might scuff his knee. :kookoo:

I remember when I first learned to ride a bike, I fell down. I bled. But you know what? I got back up on that bike and I learned.

Do you have children?

There is a lot more to ADHD than that. I was against the diagnosis with my first born. I didn't believe in it.
It's not just a behavior issue either as it relates to their ability to learn or not learn. My son, who is now 28, at 8 his grades were abysmal, his behavior was great, good manners, followed rules, made friends easily etc. He just could not pay attention in school. I went to a trusted Dr. and friend and he assured me the meds would not hurt him and within one hour, we would know. Sure enough, first dose and I got a call from the teacher and she stated he was attentive, focused on her and was in effect, a different child. Before, he was looking out the window, looking at the bottom of his desk, rolling a pencil on his desk, whatever distraction there was, would have him paying attention to anything other than the teacher. His grades immediately improved the rest of his school life. The cool thing is we didn't give it to him on the weekends when he wasn't in school or in the summer and let him play outside and be a "normal" boy.
This is how most parent deal with these issues.

So, you can have the attitude of "sit down little drone" and watch them receive a good education or you can ignore it and they won't because they cannot.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I had ADHD growing up as a kid. Took Ritalin all throughout elementary school. It helped me focus and do better in school and at home.

Edit: why the frownie face? lol

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
My kids - especially the youngest, 7 year old - is like a fucking twitching time bomb in the past 4 months. With everything being shut down and folks forced to not be able to go anywhere and schools being closed and summer camp/care programs for kids being canceled, my kids now spend the day with mom at work. They sit in her office and quietly entertain their selves with electronics and the occasional book.

Summer care program through the YMCA over the past years meant the kids were active - running around with friends, going on 2-3 field trips a week and doing creative activities. The kids were burnt out by the time they got home, had dinner and vegged until they would be falling asleep around 7:30-8pm and would go off to bed.

Now they don't get that this year and they've become accustomed to being digitally entertained by games or shows from streaming Netflix and such. The 7 year old has nervous breakdowns when he can't be playing his tablet or streaming shows during the weekend because we won't let them. Straight up, fucking meltdowns - like a two year old. An almost 8 year old that may only weigh about 50 pounds is surprisingly strong, especially when they lock their joints. I used to wrestle all through elementary school and through middle school, so I know how to handle myself in taking someone down and restraining them if needs be.....but when this kid has his meltdown and starts lashing out and hitting, throwing things....trying to restrain him is harder then any wrestling match I ever remember having.

My just turned 12 year old daughter, she's not as dependent on the electronics, probably because she's older. She gets a bit teary eyed and upset, but she doesn't act out.

We try to get the kids out as much as possible on the weekends to let them run and burn off energy, but outside doing the same thing every weekend is dull. Going on a bike ride, walking the dog, kicking the soccer ball around, finding a park/playground that's not "closed".....when the weather is crummy and we can't go anywhere, it becomes very hard for the kids to be entertained without electronics. You can only play so many board games or card games during the bad weather days before you want to gouge your eyes out.

I don't think prescribing video games is a good idea solely based off my experience. Yeah....yeah....yeah, use in moderation, but when you have no other available options due to the stupidity of society you're kind of painted into a corner.

When my 7 year old son has proper channels to direct his energy, any ADHD like symptom he displays just melts away. However, the past 4 months of lockdown crap has been really, really hard on him.
My 7 year old always has a lot of energy, but with no proper methods to focus his energy he comes off as appearing to have ADHD - constantly moving, not listening, being disruptive, easily frustrated and so on.....sure, the electronics feed his mind, but when they feel they need to be dependent on them and you take them away, be ready for a bigger fight.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
Some of these ADHD kids are very talented and intelligent. To block their potential over an uneducated opinion is heartbreaking to see.

Although physiologically and psychologically different, Autism is the same way in some of the kids on the spectrum are super intelligent. The ones I know that have been nurtured and medicated properly grow up to be productive members of society.
I have a friend that has an Autistic child that likes video games. his Mom used certain video games to help calm him and educate him. (makes me wonder) He is now finishing college, has a regular job and drives a car by himself.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro

I was lucky enough to grow up in a town 'still live there', and we used to spend most of our free time outside after school.
Playing with the other kids on the street and also biking around, our parents never really mind that. 'I had to ask mine for a while if I can go out or not and thats about it'

Summer camp or whatever you call them nowadays wasn't a thing here, we spent the summer the same way just us kids playing outside and go home before dark.

I was introduced to gaming/PC rather early with a 486 and also showed interest in it in elementary school.
Things escalated when I started playing Diablo 2 cause I really enjoyed the grinding/farming aspect of the game and I could farm the same boss for hours.

After that I started to spend more time at home than before but my parents never told me to stop since I wasn't showing any 'bad' side effects and I still went outside just not as much.
Even when I wasn't able to play or use the PC I wasn't throwing tantrums or anything, in general I was a peaceful/silent kid. 'never had behaviour issues in school either'

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

Oh, I learnt to ride a bike on a gravel road. Still remember the day my old man removed the support wheels...

I feel you are absolutely right but it is not about where you live. I have a 3 year old and I lament that she will have no idea what it means to be a kid like I did. As an example of what I am talking about do you remember when NBC News would say at the start of the 11 O'clock news "It's 11 PM do you know where your kids are". Only the most extreme cases would not be like 98% of kids in my generation with the rule of "make sure you are home before the street lights come on" and I was talking about this issue with someone the other day. When I told them that going outside meant that as a kid you had 2 lives. They did not understand what I meant so hd to tell them about things like tag, British bulldog. Tackle football in the fall, baseball in the summer. I have always been into video games but the only time I really played them as a kid was when it was raining (One of my friends had a Commodore 64). I have lived in the Toronto (Canada) area most of my life.
Sorry, not from the same part of the world as you so no, I don't remember any of that. We only had one "gravel road" light, but in the summer time the sunset is after 22:00 where I grew up so...

I used to come home when I was hungry... Or when my old man whistled if it was a more organised meal.

Being into computers doesn't also mean you can't be outdoorsy. I used to go out on my own accord and pick mushrooms and berries, since I liked to eat them. I even collected a lot of money for a class trip by picking mushrooms and selling them.

We all have different upbringings, but my point was, a lot of kids are both forced to do things that they aren't really keen on, while at the same time, not being allowed to be kids.

Do you have children?

There is a lot more to ADHD than that. I was against the diagnosis with my first born. I didn't believe in it.
It's not just a behavior issue either as it relates to their ability to learn or not learn. My son, who is now 28, at 8 his grades were abysmal, his behavior was great, good manners, followed rules, made friends easily etc. He just could not pay attention in school. I went to a trusted Dr. and friend and he assured me the meds would not hurt him and within one hour, we would know. Sure enough, first dose and I got a call from the teacher and she stated he was attentive, focused on her and was in effect, a different child. Before, he was looking out the window, looking at the bottom of his desk, rolling a pencil on his desk, whatever distraction there was, would have him paying attention to anything other than the teacher. His grades immediately improved the rest of his school life. The cool thing is we didn't give it to him on the weekends when he wasn't in school or in the summer and let him play outside and be a "normal" boy.
This is how most parent deal with these issues.

So, you can have the attitude of "sit down little drone" and watch them receive a good education or you can ignore it and they won't because they cannot.
But see, this was my point, what adults consider good behaviour isn't always good for the child.
School is also a place where you're expected to behave in a certain way, as it's where the moulding process to fit into society starts.

I wasn't very interested in school and I wasn't all that focused on studies, for the most part, but I had a few teachers that made me interested. I also had a few that made me not pay attention at all and a few that dissed me as I didn't meet their standards. For example, I had an English teacher that gave me a lower grade in English than I deserved, as I spoke too american English back then and I was too talkative and argumentative in class. Yet, somehow, I managed to make a living as a professional tech journalist for over a decade of my life, go figure.

I still have problems focusing on things I'm not interested in, whereas I can spend hours on things I'm interested in, that really aren't that important at times. I can research work projects for hours to find the right solution and to write customer presentations etc., but I want to spend as little time as possible to deal with paperwork related to my business.

A good education is not what most kids get in school, what they get, is the same information that all the other kids get. Not all kids need the same information and many of us process information differently. However, school is not made for outliers, which is really a shame as some of the outliers end up being some of the smartest people around.

Anyhow, glad it worked out for your kid, but even the meds don't work for all kids. Just looking at my older sisters four kids, they are all diagnosed with something and the meds don't seem to have helped.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The 7 year old has nervous breakdowns when he can't be playing his tablet or streaming shows during the weekend because we won't let them. Straight up, fucking meltdowns - like a two year old. An almost 8 year old that may only weigh about 50 pounds is surprisingly strong, especially when they lock their joints.
Ah yes. My 8 year old daughter will do the same thing. She's also ADHD and high function ASD. She doesn't do it with all games though, just ones that she's really into. Roblox is proving to be a nightmare to the point where I've enabled parental controls and I've started limiting her time on the game and such, because it makes her go insane.

We all have different upbringings, but my point was, a lot of kids are both forced to do things that they aren't really keen on, while at the same time, not being allowed to be kids.
That's not the problem. Don't think of ADHD as kids who don't want to do things not being able to focus on them. Think of it more like kids who do want to focus on things, but can't. There is a big difference. Impulse control is only part of it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was lucky enough to grow up in a town 'still live there', and we used to spend most of our free time outside after school.
Playing with the other kids on the street and also biking around, our parents never really mind that. 'I had to ask mine for a while if I can go out or not and thats about it'

Summer camp or whatever you call them nowadays wasn't a thing here, we spent the summer the same way just us kids playing outside and go home before dark.

I was introduced to gaming/PC rather early with a 486 and also showed interest in it in elementary school.
Things escalated when I started playing Diablo 2 cause I really enjoyed the grinding/farming aspect of the game and I could farm the same boss for hours.

After that I started to spend more time at home than before but my parents never told me to stop since I wasn't showing any 'bad' side effects and I still went outside just not as much.
Even when I wasn't able to play or use the PC I wasn't throwing tantrums or anything, in general I was a peaceful/silent kid. 'never had behaviour issues in school either'
"Summer camp" for me was being sent down to my grans for a month or so. Only had one friend there until his family moved.
I mean, I loved my gran to bits, but she was already quite old and she wasn't exactly a good play mate...
Much of the time was spent picking berries and making jam, I guess I was being used as child labour...

I was lucky, as my old man bought a PC for me when I was 15, as he realised I was interested in computers. It costed a small fortune at the time, but I pretty much learnt everything I've ever worked with based on that one single purchase. Over the years, he also had plenty of new computers that I built for him on my own budget, so I guess you can call it a wise investment, as it was paid back several times over.

I also believe that thanks to the "typing" games at the times, mainly from Sierra, but also some other publishers, I expanded my English vocabulary and my spelling much more than I could've done simply by going to English class in school. I would go as far as to say that computers forced me to improve my English skills.

That's not the problem. Don't think of ADHD as kids who don't want to do things not being able to focus on them. Think of it more like kids who do want to focus on things, but can't. There is a big difference. Impulse control is only part of it.
Sorry, that's not what I meant. Not talking about ADHD kids specifically, more about kids that get dragged off to violin class or soccer training against their will. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of kids want to go out and play with their friends, but aren't allowed for their parents. Maybe living in a big city in Asia has my views a bit skewed these days, but parents are insanely overprotective in Asia and it's scary.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

My dad learned me by pushing me down a hill on a bike, o yeah it was a curb and a 8 foot drop at the end. A parent would not dream of doing it today.

And swinging outside by a sheet tied up though the window is a no no today.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Nail 2 heashots and call me in the morning !

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Summer camp" for me was being sent down to my grans for a month or so. Only had one friend there until his family moved.
I mean, I loved my gran to bits, but she was already quite old and she wasn't exactly a good play mate...
Much of the time was spent picking berries and making jam, I guess I was being used as child labour...

I was lucky, as my old man bought a PC for me when I was 15, as he realised I was interested in computers. It costed a small fortune at the time, but I pretty much learnt everything I've ever worked with based on that one single purchase. Over the years, he also had plenty of new computers that I built for him on my own budget, so I guess you can call it a wise investment, as it was paid back several times over.

I also believe that thanks to the "typing" games at the times, mainly from Sierra, but also some other publishers, I expanded my English vocabulary and my spelling much more than I could've done simply by going to English class in school. I would go as far as to say that computers forced me to improve my English skills.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. Not talking about ADHD kids specifically, more about kids that get dragged off to violin class or soccer training against their will. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of kids want to go out and play with their friends, but aren't allowed for their parents. Maybe living in a big city in Asia has my views a bit skewed these days, but parents are insanely overprotective in Asia and it's scary.

Also used to hang out often at my grandparents who were even less strict than my parents.:)

Same here, it was my father who got me and my brother into the whole PC thing and I have a feeling that he regret that later cause of the costs.:oops: 'until we could afford our own hardware or at least partially'

I had no option to study English in elementary school cause we only had German and started English in high school.
Most of my English 'knowledge' is from gaming since I had to be able to communicate with ppl when I started playing D2 online so I slowly started to learn it on my own even before high school. 'this helped me a lot with that class'

I'm glad that my parents never forced anything like that on me or anything I did not feel like doing.
Sure I could be a more successful adult now 'maybe' but at least I had a fun and good childhood and I wouldn't trade that.

As for the topic itself, in a way its good to see something other than the usual 'but games are bad ' thing like I always hear/read and if this really helps some kids then thats great.

The common myth in child development is the seperation from family which doesn't occur if parents behave just like teachers in the house. The issue isn't kid isn't behaving, it is the helicopter parents not letting kids engage in play.
When I hear old folk speak about rubbing knees in dirt, or collecting fruit - that is how childhood should be. Not indoors listening to the same sort of people. You have to engage the child in what is beyond the family protection. Nettles, stinging bees, or some other danger - you want to initiate the kid to incorporate family ties from the opposite direction, negative incentive from outside sources. Otherwise, domesticity won't develop in kid's value system. Don't systematically bear down on the kids.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Why didn't they do this years ago when I played Need for speed or GTA endlessly, I could have claimed those games back on healthcare. :laugh:

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
this isnt going to solve the problem, i basically the bible on mental disorders and i can tell you for a fact it wont work. the exact opposite of what you want to happen will happen because thats the reaction the child wants. fact. adhd may come across as fast and sporadic but no one considers that the world moves slow to that beings perspective, making average situations much more manipulable. if you want to screw with an adhd person into slowing down u simply have to provide them with something too quick for them to process

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I went to a trusted Dr. and friend and he assured me the meds would not hurt him ....
He lied.
Prescribing Ritalin can lead to further problems later.
But hey, you're the expert because you know one child with ADHD.

He lied.
Prescribing Ritalin can lead to further problems later.
But hey, you're the expert because you know one child with ADHD.
Ritalin is no different than prescribing ex-smokers amphetamines which work by amplifying the side effects.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

ADHD is real, just a lot of kids get diagnosed with it that just have a parenting problem. However, when you see a real diagnosis and see the treatment work, you understand.

However, what we see a lot is parents not getting enough discipline in and blaming it on ADHD.

My kids - especially the youngest, 7 year old - is like a fucking twitching time bomb in the past 4 months. With everything being shut down and folks forced to not be able to go anywhere and schools being closed and summer camp/care programs for kids being canceled, my kids now spend the day with mom at work. They sit in her office and quietly entertain their selves with electronics and the occasional book.

Summer care program through the YMCA over the past years meant the kids were active - running around with friends, going on 2-3 field trips a week and doing creative activities. The kids were burnt out by the time they got home, had dinner and vegged until they would be falling asleep around 7:30-8pm and would go off to bed.

Now they don't get that this year and they've become accustomed to being digitally entertained by games or shows from streaming Netflix and such. The 7 year old has nervous breakdowns when he can't be playing his tablet or streaming shows during the weekend because we won't let them. Straight up, fucking meltdowns - like a two year old. An almost 8 year old that may only weigh about 50 pounds is surprisingly strong, especially when they lock their joints. I used to wrestle all through elementary school and through middle school, so I know how to handle myself in taking someone down and restraining them if needs be.....but when this kid has his meltdown and starts lashing out and hitting, throwing things....trying to restrain him is harder then any wrestling match I ever remember having.

My just turned 12 year old daughter, she's not as dependent on the electronics, probably because she's older. She gets a bit teary eyed and upset, but she doesn't act out.

We try to get the kids out as much as possible on the weekends to let them run and burn off energy, but outside doing the same thing every weekend is dull. Going on a bike ride, walking the dog, kicking the soccer ball around, finding a park/playground that's not "closed".....when the weather is crummy and we can't go anywhere, it becomes very hard for the kids to be entertained without electronics. You can only play so many board games or card games during the bad weather days before you want to gouge your eyes out.

I don't think prescribing video games is a good idea solely based off my experience. Yeah....yeah....yeah, use in moderation, but when you have no other available options due to the stupidity of society you're kind of painted into a corner.

When my 7 year old son has proper channels to direct his energy, any ADHD like symptom he displays just melts away. However, the past 4 months of lockdown crap has been really, really hard on him.
My 7 year old always has a lot of energy, but with no proper methods to focus his energy he comes off as appearing to have ADHD - constantly moving, not listening, being disruptive, easily frustrated and so on.....sure, the electronics feed his mind, but when they feel they need to be dependent on them and you take them away, be ready for a bigger fight.

just replying because “twitching timebomb” stuck out. One thing we’ve learned with my son over the years (who has tics) is that these are often accompanied by Some degree of ocd/adhd etc... often the rage fights are due to pattern disruptions rather than the actual activity. My son used to lose his mind if he didn’t get a book at night. Years later we realized it was the the loss of the routine that was the issue triggering some subdued ocd tendency (Not the fact that he didn’t actually get to read a book.) Your situation may be different, but something to consider. It stil doesn’t make it easy but it helped us to understand. I agree exercise helps greatly.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
just replying because “twitching timebomb” stuck out. One thing we’ve learned with my son over the years (who has tics) is that these are often accompanied by Some degree of ocd/adhd etc... often the rage fights are due to pattern disruptions rather than the actual activity. My son used to lose his mind if he didn’t get a book at night. Years later we realized it was the the loss of the routine that was the issue triggering some subdued ocd tendency (Not the fact that he didn’t actually get to read a book.) Your situation may be different, but something to consider. It stil doesn’t make it easy but it helped us to understand. I agree exercise helps greatly.

Yes, he's a creature a habit. Changes to his routine (like school being closed down and now summer Y program being canceled) means he's freaking out at times because things are different.

He has calmed down a bit in the past couple of weeks - not really doing any violent lash outs anymore, but still gets overly upset and argumentative when he doesn't get his way.....at least last Saturday it was sunny and fairly cool. Took the kids and dog to a lake and walked around it (daughter used her Razor - son wanted to run/walk the path) and about 2 miles into the 3 mile trek he was tired from all the running and exploring. He was pretty mellow for about half the day. But that second wind kicked in just before dinner and he was starting to bounce off the walls again. Tried getting the kids to go outside and play, but that lasted about 10 minutes because they "think" they saw a bee flying around 50ft from where they were playing......they didn't want to be outside anymore after that.

A constant work in progress to get him to burn off his excess energy to help him calm down. Plopping him in front of a TV or electronic device can calm him, but when it's time to stop using them that switch flips because he's still has bounds of energy in him that hasn't gone anywhere, it was only suppressed/ignored while his mind was entertained. Once the mind's instant gratification from the electronics goes away, that pent up energy kicks in and the battle begins.