• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Taking Off August 18th; Content Tiered Across Game Editions

Pure GaaS cancer game this is, using that MS Azure cloud AI technology to stream and making you dependent on that UWP garbo. And $60 USD for more content, totalling at $120. I'd avoid it like plague.
MS FS2020 consist of two petabytes (2.000 TB) of geographical data. How do you intend to store that on your SSD? With that being said, FS will give you an option to pre-download certain areas on your local SSD to play the game in full detail offline. Mind you, you'll need around 1TB SSD to download 250.000 km2 of world map on average (much more over populated areas), but you'll have an option to do it. I can see people buying one or to 2TB SSDs and downloading something like 10.000-30.000 km2 of the world map for an off line playground (or much more over less complex areas like Sahara etc).

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Like I said above, MS could have made this require a monthly subscription, just be thankful they didn't go down that route.

See, that is the problem though. Allowing bullshit because hey, it could have been worse just leads to more bullshit being norm. I don't have a problem with pricing tiers but 10 planes and 10 airports for double the price? That is silly talk. +$20 would have been fine.

Last edited:
Isn't this a good example of using the cloud in games? How much power would it take to do what this game does locally?
You sure that most people have enough space on their PC's for full resolution worldmap?
Sure, they should release this to the public in an offline format that has the entire world mapped out locally without needing cloud streaming. Oh, the game is now multiple terabytes? Damn you Microsoft!
But go on; cloud bad, innovation bad, me only play offline like its 1995
How about you just do what normal people do and just ignore it if you're not interested? It's not like it's offensive in any way... Why are you so riled up?

I understand this is one of the benefits of the cloud gaming, but Crackdowngrade 3 shows how great it is. And relying on a Server side technology is never a good thing, games and softwares last for years. I think MS will not pull the plug on this but, So many MP modes for games are dead because of this technology hurdle, having a local setup of any piece of software always trumps the reliance of this fraud called GaaS, this is the FIRST step, they will say this is how the game works and will work for next games when they try to make people locked to their services forever, those Physical Disc less PS5/XSX, PC already lost that despite Bluray sadly. Plus there's always the bandwidth issues and QoS issues as well with this, extra processing cycles as well. And OS compatibility too add DRM too, like Denuvo which adds 48Hr validation check for a game to be online (Yes, Steam already is a DRM but it does have Offline mode & there are ways to circumvent that for temporary purposes)

And please don't tell me that there's no compression or decompression technologies available with these companies, even the game setups so many AAA devs and publishers do not care to use proper compression on the game files causing the ultra bloated size.

Hitman series is another case for the pure GaaS, yeah they added a patch to make the things available with the offline mode but it ruins the gameplay, destroys the purpose of the level design and achievements, once IOI pulls the plug after 4-5 years Hitman 1,2 won't be playable offline 1:1 experience, where as old HItman games which are even more dark like Hitman : Contracts still has a GOG release for full offline gameplay.

Google is doing the same with Android Filesystem by removing the capabilities of it's R/W access by encouraging more Cloud imitated from Apple from Android 11, MS UWP also does this to an extent by limiting the application access to the FS, and now this is a bit more sidestep but it's a case to consider because, UWP has a new project reunion which bakes in built Telemetry into the API of UWP+Win32, if this game evolves over the time *IF* that reunion takes flight properly then more lockstep into the Application control loss to the end user.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
See, that is the problem though. Allowing bullshit because hey, it could have been worse just leads to more bullshit being norm. I don't have a problem with pricing tiers but 10 planes and 10 airports for double the price? That is silly talk. +$20 would have been fine.
How do you know that's bs? Would you rather MS didn't do another FS at all?

I understand this is one of the benefits of the cloud gaming, but Crackdowngrade 3 shows how great it is. And relying on a Server side technology is never a good thing, games and softwares last for years. I think MS will not pull the plug on this but, So many MP modes for games are dead because of this technology hurdle, having a local setup of any piece of software always trumps the reliance of this fraud called GaaS, this is the FIRST step, they will say this is how the game works and will work for next games when they try to make people locked to their services forever, those Physical Disc less PS5/XSX, PC already lost that despite Bluray sadly. Plus there's always the bandwidth issues and QoS issues as well with this, extra processing cycles as well. And OS compatibility too add DRM too, like Denuvo which adds 48Hr validation check for a game to be online (Yes, Steam already is a DRM but it does have Offline mode & there are ways to circumvent that for temporary purposes)

And please don't tell me that there's no compression or decompression technologies available with these companies, even the game setups so many AAA devs and publishers do not care to use proper compression on the game files causing the ultra bloated size.

Hitman series is another case for the pure GaaS, yeah they added a patch to make the things available with the offline mode but it ruins the gameplay, destroys the purpose of the level design and achievements, once IOI pulls the plug after 4-5 years Hitman 1,2 won't be playable offline 1:1 experience, where as old HItman games which are even more dark like Hitman : Contracts still has a GOG release for full offline gameplay.

Google is doing the same with Android Filesystem by removing the capabilities of it's R/W access by encouraging more Cloud imitated from Apple from Android 11, MS UWP also does this to an extent by limiting the application access to the FS, and now this is a bit more sidestep but it's a case to consider because, UWP has a new project reunion which bakes in built Telemetry into the API of UWP+Win32, if this game evolves over the time *IF* that reunion takes flight properly then more lockstep into the Application control loss to the end user.

You can't compare games like Hitman with the game that renders 510.100.000 km² in 3D, literally the whole World. That's been unheard of until FS 2020. If you'd told me 2 years ago, we'll have a whole Earth as a playground soon, I'd say that you're plain crazy. I'm grateful that Microsoft decided to finance & technologically support this game. Flight sims are a very niche market and I don't believe MS will profit from MS FS2020 at all. It's more likely to be considered a payed promo for Xbox X. Awesome commercial to sell new console, but in reality 99 % of Xbox X gamers giving up on the game first month when they realize what a steep learning curve it demands.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

All fair points except for online games, which do shut down in the fullness of time and this is one of those.

All fair points except for online games, which do shut down in the fullness of time and this is one of those.
You'll be able to play FS2020 off line (they will even sell hardcopy of a game), just not in full detail and without real life weather/traffic generation. But you'll be able to pre-download maps (just like with google earth) on your SSD to see downloaded areas rendered in full detail even when you're off line. You'll just need to A LOT of SSD space (few 100 GB if not a TB or more) to download decent amount of play area. I can see hardcore simmers buying few 2TB SSDs just to download maps.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
You'll be able to play FS2020 off line (they will even sell hardcopy of a game), just not in full detail and without real life weather/traffic generation. But you'll be able to pre-download maps (just like with google earth) on your SSD to see downloaded areas rendered in full detail even when you're off line. You'll just need to A LOT of SSD space (few 100 GB if not a TB or more) to download decent amount of play area. I can see hardcore simmers buying few 2TB SSDs just to download maps.

Cool, didn't know that.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
How do you know that's bs? Would you rather MS didn't do another FS at all?

If you don't see an issue, carry on. $99 games he we come.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
No 737-800/900? Wtf
I guess it is to stop the 3rd party Boeing maxcrash plugin that would fail the pitots and force automatic stall prevention system nose up.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I guess it is to stop the 3rd party Boeing maxcrash plugin that would fail the pitots and force automatic stall prevention system nose up.

That would be for the 737 MAX though.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
These kind of games use to sell high-end PCs in the past. Every respectable publisher had to had at least one good flight sim under their belt if they were to be considered serious.
Big respect to MS to release such a game in todays' FPS/PUBG/MOBA saturated market. I will be buying the boxed version for $119.99 USD for sure.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
These kind of games use to sell high-end PCs in the past. Every respectable publisher had to had at least one good flight sim under their belt if they were to be considered serious.
Big respect to MS to release such a game in todays' FPS/PUBG/MOBA saturated market. I will be buying the boxed version for $119.99 USD for sure.
Most people buy PCs to play rocket league or any low level f(r)ee-pay(win)-game

disasterman

Looking at all the Beta tester provided videos, it does seem that the scenery is spectacular. Oddly missing though are some of the most iconic and desired planes that fly in the real world, like the 737 and regional jets, and once again despite claiming that you don't have to buy a bunch of addons . . . . you have to buy a bunch of addons.

Most of their planes seem to be really small sport planes, with the only noted airliners being the mammoth (and old) 747, the A320, and Boeing 787 Dreamliner. What's up with THAT? The same shortage of detailed airports and plane choices leaves me with a Meh taste in my mouth, and their tiered pricing to me is just stupid considering the minute additional items offered. They should have just included all of it, and sold it for $120.

I'm also suspicious about the AI traffic. Getting kinda sick of "World Airways," etc.. If they don't even have a flyable 737 or CRJ in the simulator, what about their AI traffic? If they have realistic AI, why didn't they give us those airliners?

I think it was more of an effort to round up more Windows 7 holdouts and force them to use Windows 10. (and there's no real reason for that requirement either, considering that the two are still based on the same framework).

The real world "Bing earth" topographical addition is great, but their removal of some of the most wanted aircraft is idiotic. I wonder what deals they made with the third party payware developers..... I've had every version of FS ever released so far, and bought lots of addons for them, but even though I just built a gaming rig to run this, and was getting ready to get a VR headset (now not supported) and new monitor, I just dumped the entire plan. I'm not buying it, nor am I going to go forward with the hopelessly messed up Windows 10. Double fail Microsoft. Good luck with your Bing Earth Simulator with limited Airport Scenery Effects package.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I've been mulling this over for some time and whilst I'm not a devoted 'simmer' - car racing, flying etc - it seemed a bit crazy to pay $60 for a game which is atypical of the games I usually play, with the risk of not being able to fully get to grips with it on keyboard and mouse.
I'm completely awestruck by the videos I've seen of MSFS2020 and of course, the standard edition is included in Game Pass.
So in the end I signed up for XBox Game Pass at $1 for the first month and $4.99 thereafter with the added bonus of having access to loads of other games without breaking the bank.
That's a win-win in my book.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Manually recreated, rest are built by AI based on sat photos, i.e. lower detail.
Watch some gameplay videos and you'll notice the difference between auto generated areas and those edited manually.

As for price tags, this will surely make it to game pass in some form so entry price will be much lower than $60.
I don't like the tiered approach but considering it's a flight sim you're already looking at fairly smaller market where high prices are standard (just look at DCS and its $50-60 plane prices).
It’s already on Game Pass I have it “preloaded“ I’m of course only expecting access to the base tier. I’m an old school IL-2 veteran you mentioning DCS’s insane pricing model. Well it’s caught on. The original IL-2 Devs reformed and maintained and gave a huge overhaul to Cliffs Of Dover making it a completely different game download(Blitz) free to all original owners. Well they put out their first new paid DLC content at $60 for 5 planes and a new map. I thought it was insane but it he community has no problem with the price and use the DCS model as justification. I get they deserve to get paid but precedent has been set and simmers only have a few options and just have to accept it.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I haven't played a flight sim since the early 2000s when I had a joystick and I found helicopters to be easier to control. I'm pretty sure I even played an earlier version of MS Flight Simulator.
This is why I went for the Game Pass, just glide around and admire the scenery. I can always cancel, which pretty much answers my question about tiered content.