• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces Optix MAG342CQRV Curved 34-inch Gaming Monitor

Optix MAG342CQRV is MSI's latest curved gaming monitor. The MAG342CQRV has a wide 34" UWQHD panel that supports resolution up to 3440x1440, 100hz refresh rate, and a 1 ms VA panel. It also supports Adaptive-sync. Compared to the traditional 16:9 panel, Ultrawide's 21:9 panel increases the screen size so that the gamers can enjoy a wider viewing angle. Gamers can display multiple windows at the same time, thereby significantly improving operation and game efficiency.

21:9 widescreen uses the VA panel, which has excellent contrast and smooth picture. This not only provides gamers with a smoother screen but also plays an important role in daily life, such as multi-window network browsing or working window. The display size of 3440X1440 also supports high-definition screen playback. MAG342CQRV enables gamers to have excellent game display performance and high-definition video entertainment functions.

Enhanced 21:9 Wide Angle

Optix MAG342CQRV curved gaming monitor features a wide 34" UWQHD panel that supports resolution up to 3440x1440. This 21:9 panel allows gamers to enjoy a wider viewing angle compared to other traditional 16:9 panels. The widescreen will also allow gamers to multitask with several windows, witness significant improvement in operational and gaming efficiency.

Extremely High Refresh Rate And Fast Response Time

The Optix MAG342CQRV is equipped with a 100hz refresh rate and 1 ms response time VA panel which benefits the most in fast-paced game genres such as FPS, RTS, and MOBAs. These games require quick and precise movements, which ultra-high refresh rate and fast response time will put you ahead of your competition.

Gaming OSD App 2.0

Optix MAG342CQRV is further strengthened by the Gaming OSD App, which allows you to control your monitor display under a software window. You can even customize display settings for different software in the app, it will then automatically apply the presets once you start using the software. Last but not least, the Gaming OSD App allows you to use in-game hotkeys to adjust display settings.

Adaptive Sync

Optix MAG342CQRV is built with Adaptive Sync technology to achieve the smooth visuals for your gameplay. Adaptive Sync technology will sync the refresh rate of your monitor with your GPU to eliminate screen tearing or stuttering.

Night Vision

Night Vision is merged into MSI's monitor configuration software - Gaming OSD App 2.0. It smartly computes the details in the dark area of the screen to be amplified, as opposed to brutally brightening the whole screen and causing some areas to overexpose. This creates overall comfortable and pleasing images.

Specifications:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Looks like all the monitor manufacturers are getting onboard these 34 inch ultrawide format. While I initially feel that the monitor is too wide for my liking, after using it for awhile I feel it is a good aspect ratio for work, multimedia and games.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Looks like all the monitor manufacturers are getting onboard these 34 inch ultrawide format. While I initially feel that the monitor is too wide for my liking, after using it for awhile I feel it is a good aspect ratio for work, multimedia and games.

I must say I'm slowly starting to develop a want for this as well. Just caught myself considering how it would look on my desk...it'd fit in any case. The combo of VA, curve and UW is also a sensible match. 100hz a useful refresh. Looks like a solid new base.

Damn it. :D

But... UW still has one drawback and that is not all games will scale properly or support the res... and the pixel count is pretty serious.

I must say I'm slowly starting to develop a want for this as well. Just caught myself considering how it would look on my desk...it'd fit in any case. The combo of VA, curve and UW is also a sensible match. 100hz a useful refresh. Looks like a solid new base.

Damn it. :D

But... UW still has one drawback and that is not all games will scale properly or support the res... and the pixel count is pretty serious.

If you are looking to game on a 3440x1440 monitor, you will also need to invest in a higher end graphic card. For me, I am a light gamer, so a simple mid end card will suffice to drive the games I play. Generally, older games will run, but either you get black bars at the side, or it may be stretched. Newer games tend to support this aspect ratio better.

As to the size, yes, you should measure if you get clearance before pulling the trigger on it.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Having owned a 120Hz monitor, a (bad) 200Hz monitor, and a couple of 144Hz monitors - as well using dozens of others up to 240Hz, I think I can say with confidence that 100Hz is the sweet spot. Maybe even 90Hz, but outside of VR headsets, nobody makes 90Hz monitors.

I don't know if this is a new panel or not (haven't had time to hunt for it on Panelook yet) but I just hope that MSI have adjusted overdrive sufficiently to get the response times down to at least 20ms on the black > dark transitions; My monochromatic peripheral vision is more sensitive to ghosting and more of the image on this screen will be in your peripheral at any point when using it, so it matters more.

I guess I'm commenting on a monitor announcement so the mandatory rant that we need proper specs still applies - we need real G2G response times not "1ms" lies and likewise, the 178 degree viewing angle spec is wortless too, but at least MSI included more accurate stuff like sRGB and aRGB gamut coverage this time.

I owned an ultrawide for a year in 2015 and back then the number of games that provided an improved experience was completely overwhelmed by the number of issues that made games no better or worse for ultrawide. I don't agree with black bars either, because unless you're watching on OLED, they're never truly black, and therefore a distraction that constantly reminds you of the wasted screen space.

Half of the problem with FPS games is that game engines are usually still defaulting to cylindrical rendering so the perspective warp at the extreme edges gets unrealistically silly. Spherical rendering is something that isn't commonly done, but VR is increasing its prevalence at least.....

I think ultrawide game support is probably better in 2020 but I'd rather buy a bigger/higher-res 16:9 display and create a custom ultrawide resolution (including horrible black bars) for that very small handful of games that really benefit.

Last edited:
I can not imagine going above 27 inch myself. Bigger, goes into regular tv segment.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I can not imagine going above 27 inch myself. Bigger, goes into regular tv segment.
Each to their own, my cousin thinks I have a tiny TV, as it's "only" 49"...

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Size is almost irrelevant, it depends how far it is from your eyeballs. Some people using desks like these have a viewing distance of 40-50cm:

1597936037601.png

...and then you have people with deep desks and wall-mounts like me, or even corner desks and the viewing distance could easily be 80-100cm:

1597936497930.png

So the same person could feel that the same 34" monitor is both too big and too small, simply based on the desk it's used with. Let's face it, this ultrawide may be 34" but it's no taller than your average 24" monitor that many people would call "too small".

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Streaming 3440x1440 is next to impossible without the output (in 1080) looking like shit.