• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Becomes Fastest-Selling PC Game of All Time

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Starting November 23, World of Warcraft players around the globe began their journey into the unknown reaches of Azeroth's afterlife in Shadowlands, the game's highly anticipated eighth expansion. Today, Blizzard Entertainment announced that as of the first full day of Shadowlands' launch, more than 3.7 million units had sold through globally, making it the fastest-selling PC game of all time industry-wide.

The previously announced industry record-holder, Blizzard's own Diablo III, sold through more than 3.5 million copies as of its first day of release. Today's announcement confirms that Shadowlands has surpassed that milestone as well as any other reported sell-through achievement for the same time frame among all PC games historically.

In addition, World of Warcraft has continued to see strong engagement from the global community franchise-wide:
  • In the months leading up to the expansion's release and the time since launch, the game reached and has sustained its highest number of players on monthly or longer-term subscriptions compared to the same period ahead of and following any WoW expansion in the past decade, in both the West and the East.
  • Players have spent more time in Azeroth year to date than in the same period of any of the last 10 years.
  • In addition, total player time in game this year to date has nearly doubled compared to the same period last year.
"It's been a huge thrill to enter this whole-new dimension of the Warcraft universe together with millions of players around the world," said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. "It's been equally rewarding to see players enjoying all of the new features and content in Shadowlands—whether they're exploring new aspects of their characters with the Covenants or setting foot in WoW for the first time with the new-player experience in Exile's Reach—and there's much more to come."

The launch of Shadowlands is just the beginning of an adventure unlike anything ever before experienced in World of Warcraft, with much more in store for players in the weeks and months ahead. Starting today, Shadowlands Season 1 commences when the gates to the expansion's first raid, Castle Nathria—the gothic stronghold of Revendreth—open in Normal and Heroic difficulties. Mythic Keystone dungeons will also become available, tempting Azeroth's heroes with greater rewards for taking on increased challenges. This season's dungeon affix, Prideful, turns heroes' own sense of accomplishment against them in the form of ego-wrought manifestations. In addition, players will be able to put their skills to the ultimate test in Arenas and Battlegrounds as the expansion's first Rated PvP season begins.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

ocugh

SL release has been delayed due to COVID. Even before that it was on presale much earlier than the initially planned release date.

Is Blizzard trying to run one past the media by trying to pass off sales numbers as all fitting within a 1 day timespan instead of the some many months it actually took place over?

3.7 Million sales isn't a small number. How does it compare to previous WoW expansions? I find it hard to trust cherry picked numbers coming from a company that stopped releasing subscriber numbers to hide a decline.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
People still play this? I quit half way through WotLK.

WoW? Bit like insanity exercise. Trying same thing over and over and expecting different outcome.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Has it ? :kookoo:

I feel like I live in a parallel world, I am staggered this many people still play it. Mind you there is always an influx of players when a new expansion comes out and immediately after the player base falls of a cliff.

Processor Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
Cooling DH15 3x fans
Memory 4x16 Crucial 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) 3090 FE
Storage 2x 970 Evo Plus 2Tb + WD Gold 14Tb 2x
Display(s) Dell AW3418DW + BenQ PD2700Q
Case BeQuiet Dark Pro 900v² + 2 fans
Audio Device(s) Ext
Power Supply Be Quiet Dark Power 13 1000w
Mouse Zowie FK2 for Quake/Logitech G600 + Artisan Hien soft XL
WoW? Bit like insanity exercise. Trying same thing over and over and expecting different outcome.

Just because you read the definition of insanity somewhere, doesn't mean it applies to everyone playing Wow, since there are so many things to do in this game.
Or maybe you tried the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome and came to us to preach your experience ?

D

Deleted member 24505

I played WoW for years, enjoyed it, it is very sociable if you find a good group. not bought SL though.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Can't understand why it's still going...
Well, same with anything really... All the best-sellers from 10-15 years ago are still going strong. Just look at CS, TF2, Dota, Lineage, Guild Wars.
You only think that, cause WoW hasn't really been that popular in EU and CIS to begin with. It never gave up position in US throughout all these years, only fluctuated user activity between expansion releases. Habit is a hard thing to change, even an outdated and expensive subscription-based model with a hefty entry price can't change that.

Well, same with anything really... All the best-sellers from 10-15 years ago are still going strong. Just look at CS, TF2, Dota, Lineage, Guild Wars.
You only think that, cause WoW hasn't really been that popular in EU and CIS to begin with. It never gave up position in US throughout all these years, only fluctuated user activity between expansion releases. Habit is a hard thing to change, even an outdated and expensive subscription-based model with a hefty entry price can't change that.
It just doesn't have anything to offer...

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
I think its very easy to see why its still going. Has lots of players + makes lots of money. No reason why it wouldnt be going.

I think he was referring to the players, not Blizzard.

I think it's about the comfort zone for most people. After having played a long time, they feel attached and find it daunting to invest similar time to learn another game.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I played WoW for about the first six months it was out....was pretty boring in my opinion. I tried it again just about the time the first expansion released and jewelry crafting was released. I hoarded ores and gems from the start of the game and when jewelry crafting came out I ended up with hundreds of thousands of gold for the massive upcharge ores and gems went for - that was kind of fun, but I had nothing in game I needed so the gold just sat there on my account.

Surprisingly, I really didn't put much time into the game. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I guess I just liked the idea of WoW and not really what it had to offer in terms of value. I tried joining several different guilds - usually met with the same results when we'd try PvP for capture the flag....no one on my side knew how to work together. They all just ran around doing whatever the hell they wanted and we'd just get crushed....a lot of negativity and meanness between the players. I found it more entertaining playing the game solo instead of dealing with a bunch of ass hats.

I'm surprised some folks are still into this game after all these years, that's some serious dedication.

Used to play WoW a lot as well. Really stopped after the guild I was in defeated WOTLK. Fun times but like many said, it just got repetitive and time consuming. That's the only game I spent that much time and years into. Nowadays there aren't any games that can get that kind of time from me. LoL did for a while but I play that sparingly now.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling Bykski Ryzen Waterblock + BlackIce Pro 360 radiator + D5 variable pump + Corsair HD120 x 4
Memory 16 GB G.Skill RIPJAWS @ 4000Mhz 18-22-22
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti with Bykski Waterblock
Storage 2x 970 EVO Plus 1tb + 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3 TB Other
Display(s) Samsung 40KU6300 UHD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Logitech G304 + Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10/High Sierra Dual Boot
being a PC gamer since 1998, I have never played single WOW game so far.

System Name Katzi
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S Pro AX 1.1
Cooling Phanteks Glacier 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (Dual Rank 32Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080
Storage Samsung SSD 980 1TB, 970 512GB Evo Plus, 1TB 870 QVO, 960 Pro
Display(s) AOC CQ27G2
Case NZXT H6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X3
Power Supply Corsair RMx850
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus & Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Keychron V2 translucent, Gateron Ink Black Silent, lubed & filmed.
I've been playing WoW since Vanilla, quit till BC launch, came back for that, and have been playing daily since :p

It'd also eat you guys up knowing the overkill hardware I play it on too :p *cackles*

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
People still play this? I quit half way through WotLK.
This is the best expansion since WotLK.

being a PC gamer since 1998, I have never played single WOW game so far.
Youre missing out.

I played WoW for about the first six months it was out....was pretty boring in my opinion. I tried it again just about the time the first expansion released and jewelry crafting was released. I hoarded ores and gems from the start of the game and when jewelry crafting came out I ended up with hundreds of thousands of gold for the massive upcharge ores and gems went for - that was kind of fun, but I had nothing in game I needed so the gold just sat there on my account.

Surprisingly, I really didn't put much time into the game. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I guess I just liked the idea of WoW and not really what it had to offer in terms of value. I tried joining several different guilds - usually met with the same results when we'd try PvP for capture the flag....no one on my side knew how to work together. They all just ran around doing whatever the hell they wanted and we'd just get crushed....a lot of negativity and meanness between the players. I found it more entertaining playing the game solo instead of dealing with a bunch of ass hats.

I'm surprised some folks are still into this game after all these years, that's some serious dedication.
Ive been playing the game since two months before wrath came out. It's def had it's ups and downs and i have quit the game from time to time when there was a large content drought, but overall the game is quite fun. Unlimited dailies, run older content for transmog, battlegrounds, arenas, rated battlegrounds, world quests just to name a few. The game is quite fun. Im glad i didnt play the game back in Vanilla because I agree, it was quite boring, because the game was so slow paced. But there has been a lot of changes for QoL and the faster game play is def more my style.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Has it ? :kookoo:

I feel like I live in a parallel world, I am staggered this many people still play it. Mind you there is always an influx of players when a new expansion comes out and immediately after the player base falls of a cliff.

Great observations both if you ask me. And yet....

Played vanilla until WOTLK came out, sold account. Started playing again with Legion and burned out from it with the last content updates for it... Never finished the whole xpacs dungeons. It is indeed more of the same. It still has some spark in it from vanilla but most of that unique atmosphere is just gone and it cannot be revived. That is why so many moved to private legacy servers...

But the thing is, WoW still has the best gameplay mechanics, game loops, and designs all rolled into a single MMO backed by great servers and support plus the absolute best and biggest lore base you can find in any of them. Blizzard built that up in its glory days and most of that is still preserved even if all those world maps are now deserted.

After WoW vanilla I explicitly looked for MMOs with similar magic but honestly I never found it. And I played a few dozen of them, mind, many hundreds of farm hours later I can still arrive in WoW snd enjoy it for what it is, albeit briefly. Other MMOs also shine but in their own way and more often than not, partly hecause they borrow concepts from WoW.

The whole quest marker system and multiple other ideas are now commonplace in almost every game.

System Name Alucard
Processor M2 Pro 14"
Motherboard Apple thingy all together
Cooling no Need
Memory 32 Shared Memory
Video Card(s) 30 units
Storage 1 TB
Display(s) Acer 2k 170Hz, Benq 4k HDR
Mouse Logictech M3
Keyboard Logictech M3
Software MacOs / Ubuntu
preorder it like 6 months ago, until yet didnt open it ... no time ... lol

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Played since Vanilla with lots of on and offs. SL is the first expansion i didn't bought and have no desire to. I'd like to thank Blizz of helping me get over the WoW addiction with their horrible design decisions.
Disappointed Lone Wolf Marksman, happier and healthier human. :peace:

D

Deleted member 190774

It just doesn't have anything to offer...
That is of course your opinion.

Although I stopped playing 3 or 4 years ago, and had several years break in between stints, I racked up over 500K PvP kills and 10K Arena matches and around 500 days played. There was obviously something for me...

That is of course your opinion.

Although I stopped playing 3 or 4 years ago, and had several years break in between stints, I racked up over 500K PvP kills and 10K Arena matches and around 500 days played. There was obviously something for me...

Enjoyed that quite a bit too. Missed world PvP most, when Blizz effectively killed it.. Well, they kinda killed whole world everything, since last time I checked everyone was sitting somewhere safe waiting in queue for raid/dung etc.

Great observations both if you ask me. And yet....

Played vanilla until WOTLK came out, sold account. Started playing again with Legion and burned out from it with the last content updates for it... Never finished the whole xpacs dungeons. It is indeed more of the same. It still has some spark in it from vanilla but most of that unique atmosphere is just gone and it cannot be revived. That is why so many moved to private legacy servers...

But the thing is, WoW still has the best gameplay mechanics, game loops, and designs all rolled into a single MMO backed by great servers and support plus the absolute best and biggest lore base you can find in any of them. Blizzard built that up in its glory days and most of that is still preserved even if all those world maps are now deserted.

After WoW vanilla I explicitly looked for MMOs with similar magic but honestly I never found it. And I played a few dozen of them, mind, many hundreds of farm hours later I can still arrive in WoW snd enjoy it for what it is, albeit briefly. Other MMOs also shine but in their own way and more often than not, partly hecause they borrow concepts from WoW.

The whole quest marker system and multiple other ideas are now commonplace in almost every game.

Ive quit after WoTLK. Still have physical copy of Cata and I think my account ends with Legion, didnt check for long time. Came back couple of times, but for me WoW was vanilla and TBC. Thought about going back to "classic", but it took few glances on reddit to check its state and just meh out of it.

Only MMO I found somewhat okay, even while completely different was TESO (or ESO), but that was before F2P. Quit that exactly at that point.

Still kinda miss WoW I remember.. but its impossible to get back to it, no longer exists. Specific mixture of game and time.

With the release of Cyberpunk2077, I wonder if Blizzard is about to lose this crown...

For most bugs in game? :D