• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Store Now Offers Spotify App, More Non-Game Applications To Come

Epic Games have recently released the Spotify app onto the Epic Games Store, the app is now available to download and appears alongside your games. This is an interesting move from Epic Games as they capitalize on the reach of their storefront and launcher thanks in part due to Fortnite and the many free game giveaways. An Epic Games representative informed Destructoid that we can "expect more non-game applications" to hit the storefront in the future. With a userbase of over 350 million people, Epic Games is uniquely positioned to take on the Microsoft Store and become the go-to storefront.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
But... why?
Why would I download XYZ client or launcher, to run Spotify? Why would I ever wanna keep another app running in the background to use Spotify? Or any other program for that matter. It brings nothing to it, it adds no features or functions.

The reason I like having some games on steam is because of the workshop support which makes modding easy, but having spotify on steam (or epic) doesn't add anything but a larger download to use spotify cooked in to running another app to use it.

But... why?
Why would I download XYZ client or launcher, to run Spotify? Why would I ever wanna keep another app running in the background to use Spotify? Or any other program for that matter. It brings nothing to it, it adds no features or functions.

The reason I like having some games on steam is because of the workshop support which makes modding easy, but having spotify on steam (or epic) doesn't add anything but a larger download to use spotify cooked in to running another app to use it.
EGS doesn't require you to open their launcher to use apps. You can download games/apps, install them, and then uninstall the launcher and said games/apps will still work.

EGS doesn't require you to open their launcher to use apps. You can download games/apps, install them, and then uninstall the launcher and said games/apps will still work.

I think you are getting confused with the GOG client?

They should probably just shorten it from EPIC games store to EPIC store if they intend to more of a all around store for games and programs. It would make the logo design more streamlined and clean looking.

I think you are getting confused with the GOG client?
No I'm not, Epic doesn't have proprietary DRM afaik, and I've seen reports from ppl talking about launching many games coming with no launcher requirement at all.

I personally think Steam should kill the launcher requirement too, very outdated concept in this day and age.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Mostly. This has not been the case with all the games.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
I personally think Steam should kill the launcher requirement too, very outdated concept in this day and age.

It's not a requirement. There are a lot of games on Steam that aren't locked into the launcher and can launch from the .exe alone. (Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk are examples.)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I personally think Steam should kill the launcher requirement too, very outdated concept
The Steam launcher requirement is a form of drm. It is used as the only form of drm by the majority of publishers on Steam. The option of using it or not having any Steam exe requirement is up to the publisher. Thise games that have not is decided by a publisher or indie studio. Likewise, thise that have an extra layer of drm like denuvo also are publisher decisions, not Valve’s. Steam merely provides their .exe requirement for studios that want it as a service.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I like this move by Epic. On Steam I've bought at least a dozen non-game specific programs, all of which can be run outside Steam.
Others include FPS Monitor and Mirillis Action!
Frankly, if Epic supply at the right price, they'll have my business.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
But... why?

reason for consumers: none.

reason for epic: Walled gardens are built brick by brick. Once the walls are up then the gates.