• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet Cafes Are Turning To Cryptocurrency Mining As "Profits are Higher"

An internet cafe in Vietnam has turned to mining cryptocurrency as the pandemic has affected their business. Internet cafes have been ordered to close to limit the spread of COVID-19 forcing the owners to find an alternative use for their computer hardware. The owner of Star Computer computer cafe in Ho Chi Minh city has announced that they will be switching to cryptocurrency mining as the "profits are higher". The cafe is owned by a Vietnamese computer store and has managed to secure a significant number of RTX 3080 GPUs for the mining operations. Star Computer internet cafe has also encouraged other internet cafe owners to contact them about setting up similar operations.

Star Computers (translation) said:
Switching business season, Profits are higher than net business, whoever wants to do, contact me for free.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Nvidia was right, it did have a big shipment of 3000 series cards coming it. It just neglected to say that 0 of them are going into the hands of gamers.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
What next?

The Oak Ridge National Laboratory turns its Volta system to crypto : breaks Bitcoin overnight...

Jokes aside, I don't think there's an end to this scenario until something changes hardware or software wise.

The crypto mining trend is becoming more of a "craze" when everyone wants a piece of the action like this. It's like Black Friday except with crypto.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
What next?

The Oak Ridge National Laboratory turns its Volta system to crypto : breaks Bitcoin overnight...

Jokes aside, I don't think there's an end to this scenario until something changes hardware or software wise.
Thinking this through...

• We won't see reasonable hardware prices until mining slows down. Miners will continue to buy more and more hardware until it no longer makes sense to do so.
• We won't see mining slow down until profitability goes to shit.
• Profitability will only go down until either one of two things happen: 1. there's so much hardware mining, the difficulty goes up considerably or 2. large investors in crypto decide to sell huge amounts of their cryptocurrency.

Neither of these scenarios look likely any time soon because the value of crypto only continues to go up and up and there's not enough mining happening to make the difficulty go up enough to disinterest anyone. In fact profitability only seems to be going up along with the prices, attracting more attention, but the hardware isn't coming fast enough to counter-balance it. Supply and demand, just like the physical hardware.

Anyone who wants this to end is essentially waiting for the day the fat cats dump their crypto and drive the value way down.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
What next?

Something lik that did happen though right, one supercomputer that was sorta hacked to farm up some cryptocurrency

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Something lik that did happen though right, one supercomputer that was sorta hacked to farm up some cryptocurrency

professors at universities rent time on supercomputers for their research, I don't think there is much oversight though on it, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple rich professors out there, just hodling away. :roll:

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thinking this through...

• We won't see reasonable hardware prices until mining slows down. Miners will continue to buy more and more hardware until it no longer makes sense to do so.
• We won't see mining slow down until profitability goes to shit.
• Profitability will only go down until either one of two things happen: 1. there's so much hardware mining, the difficulty goes up considerably or 2. large investors in crypto decide to sell huge amounts of their cryptocurrency.

Neither of these scenarios look likely any time soon because the value of crypto only continues to go up and up and there's not enough mining happening to make the difficulty go up enough to disinterest anyone. In fact profitability only seems to be going up along with the prices, attracting more attention, but the hardware isn't coming fast enough to counter-balance it. Supply and demand, just like the physical hardware.

Anyone who wants this to end is essentially waiting for the day the fat cats dump their crypto and drive the value way down.

Yup, that sounds about right imo.

I honestly don't expect things to get much better this year or at least later the second half.
Already spent most of my saved up '~330$' GPU money on other things instead and only kept enough to buy another second hand RX 570 '4GB' in case mine dies on me before this craze is over/calms down.
Whats more annoying is that even mid range cards are affected and gone, actually its easier to buy high end/enthusiast cards in my country than the previously affordable ones. 'exactly the ones I was interested in'

Someone offered me help/money to buy a card in 2020 October or so when the prices were still fairly normal but I refused 'I don't like to accept such', now I kinda regret that since I could pay it back by now.:oops:

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think I remember nvidia trying to gimp the performance on their gpus computing wise a long time ago because they wanted their quadro line to do that or something? But software always makes its way, I don't think unless goverments take party to do regulations there is any form to change the crypto scenario.

Gonna be hilarious when all those cards hit second hand market. Are they going to sell them for 10 bucks?

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I can see the reason behind virtual currencies existence, but I absolutely loathe the act of "mining it", which is nothing else but a giant waste of resources, electricity power etc. Especially since the whole mining doesn't create anything useful for the society, just generates more of the said currency, but we have to ask one question here: At what cost?!

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I can see the reason behind virtual currencies existence, but I absolutely loathe the act of "mining it", which is nothing else but a giant waste of resources, electricity power etc. Especially since the whole mining doesn't create anything useful for the society, just generates more of the said currency, but we have to ask one question here: At what cost?!

I know little of mining but does it not serve the purpose to validate the digital transactions? Does mining not contribute to the blockchain?

The mining part in the Cryptocurrency system has to change! It should be something on the line of a fee for maintaining your actual crypto deposit (from real money) transactions secure instead of making money out of "thin air".
At the moment it is a flawed system, and some day in a way or another it is going to blow up.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
(...)a giant waste of resources, electricity power etc. Especially since the whole mining doesn't create anything useful for the society, just generates more of the said currency, but we have to ask one question here: At what cost?!
The same can be easily said about almost all human activities which don't generate objective value, which is almost all of them.

ARF

I think I remember nvidia trying to gimp the performance on their gpus computing wise a long time ago because they wanted their quadro line to do that or something? But software always makes its way, I don't think unless goverments take party to do regulations there is any form to change the crypto scenario.

It is a good idea that AMD gimps the mining performance on its gaming lineup in order to protect these two quite distinct market segments.
It is not fair that gamers cannot buy gaming graphics cards because some users steal them from them.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The same can be easily said about almost all human activities which don't generate objective value, which is almost all of them.

which is why most human activities are moving green as fast as possible... China is number 1 pro-green country right now. massive solar and wind farms and nuclear energy investments. adding to the problem is exactly what we as a species can not afford to do, even if we do everything right we are cutting it close on climate change. humans can't afford to have crypto mining contributing to the carbon output. the whole idea is to reduce carbon not add to it. LED lights are now very efficient, 7nm and lower nodes are more energy efficient for phones, pc's, game consoles, etc. the idea is that we can live a decent life if we all work together. but cryptocurrency fuels greed beyond imagination and it will not stop unless governments ban exchanges, businesses, and banks from allowing its use.

clock is ticking. humans will regret not taking climate change more seriously 30-50 years from now.

Gonna be hilarious when all those cards hit second hand market. Are they going to sell them for 10 bucks?

Nah, horny gamer kids will be all over them like flies and will take them maybe even at original MSRP or more.

As far as I can tell, mining part is designed so that people cannot create arbitrary amounts of it, leading to hyperinflation. That is actually one of the main allures of cryptocurrencies and energy use for mining is the cost of it. Until one comes up with more energy efficient but just as robust inflation prevention method that is.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
There's at least 71 GPU's pictured there. Great.:shadedshu:

ARF

Nah, horny gamer kids will be all over them like flies and will take them maybe even at original MSRP or more.

I hope gamer kids can be educated that mining cards cannot game because there is extremely high risk of failure due to wear.
And the demand won't be as high as the availability, so indeed the prices should be low.

Mining is evil in this form - it completely distorts the whole PC industry.

I hope gamer kids can be educated that mining cards cannot game because there is extremely high risk of failure due to wear.
And the demand won't be as high as the availability, so indeed the prices should be low.
Oh, I'd hope that to be the case as well.

I also hoped after Holiday's market situation will improve. But yeah, things went other way...

So now I just assume worst case scenario and anything better than that is a plus.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
which is why most human activities are moving green as fast as possible... China is number 1 pro-green country right now. massive solar and wind farms and nuclear energy investments. adding to the problem is exactly what we as a species can not afford to do, even if we do everything right we are cutting it close on climate change. humans can't afford to have crypto mining contributing to the carbon output. the whole idea is to reduce carbon not add to it. LED lights are now very efficient, 7nm and lower nodes are more energy efficient for phones, pc's, game consoles, etc. the idea is that we can live a decent life if we all work together. but cryptocurrency fuels greed beyond imagination and it will not stop unless governments ban exchanges, businesses, and banks from allowing its use.

clock is ticking. humans will regret not taking climate change more seriously 30-50 years from now.
I really don't think so. People claim to be "green" mostly because it became fashionable and virtue signalling requires them to do so. They still generate waste as fast as they can, throwing away old electronics as soon as something new is available and they can afford it. Big corporations (ahem, Apple) are using child labor and forced labor to saturate the market as fast as possible. Entertainment industry wastes more energy in a day than all of the world's crypto mining farms use in a year.
Honestly, I prefer honest greed to eco-hypocrisy and virtue signalling.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Yup, that sounds about right imo.

I honestly don't expect things to get much better this year or at least later the second half.
Already spent most of my saved up '~330$' GPU money on other things instead and only kept enough to buy another second hand RX 570 '4GB' in case mine dies on me before this craze is over/calms down.
Whats more annoying is that even mid range cards are affected and gone, actually its easier to buy high end/enthusiast cards in my country than the previously affordable ones. 'exactly the ones I was interested in'

Someone offered me help/money to buy a card in 2020 October or so when the prices were still fairly normal but I refused 'I don't like to accept such', now I kinda regret that since I could pay it back by now.:oops:
Why don't you plug the 2nd one into your PC.? If you play Jedi Fallen order you will enjoy it.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why don't you plug the 2nd one into your PC.? If you play Jedi Fallen order you will enjoy it.
Ah, kinda worded that wrong 'was still half sleeping'.
I meant that I kept enough money to buy a secondary one if the one in my PC dies, I don't have 2. 'their price seems to be stable around 130$ on the second hand market where I live'
Not really interested in dual card systems tho, would hardly fit my case due to the bottom fans and way too high power draw for my taste.

Mining is evil in this form - it completely distorts the whole PC industry.

Depends on how the miner treated the card and for how long.
My ex miner 'mined for ~6 months' 570 is still working in my PC since 2018 September, it had 2 and half years warranty when I bought it from the previous owner so it was alright.

This is my opinion on this whole gpu situation: Bullsh*t
I can't wait for the many miners to go bankrupt as soon as possible! (I know we have to wait patiently this time for that)
These miners are the lowest of humanity who serve criminals and pedophiles with money/bitcoin.