• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Scythe Announces Mugen 5 Black Edition CPU cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Scythe today announces the release of the new cooler Mugen 5 Black Edition (SCMG-5100BE). Based on the original Mugen 5 Rev.B cooler, this new edition is all-black design including black heatsink, black Kaze Flex 120 fan, and black accessories. The new Mugen 5 Black is the premium choice of excellent performance and superb quietness as well as aesthetic appeal. The Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition cooler is available in North America at an MSRP of USD $60.

Based on the classic Mugen 5 cooler, this new edition comes with an all-black Kaze Flex 120 fan (ramp up to 1500 rpm) that pushes its performance to the next level. With the additional fan clip and upgraded mounting system, the Mugen 5 Black is the premium choice of excellent performance and superb quietness.

Product Specifications and Features
  • Model Number: SCMG-5100BE
  • Dimensions: W136.0 x D110.5 x H154.5 mm (incl. fan)
  • Weight: 890 g / 31.39 oz (incl. fan)
  • CPU Sockets:
    • Intel: LGA 2066 / 2011 (V3) / 1200 / 115X
    • AMD: AM4 / AM3(+) / AM2(+) / FM2(+) / FM1
  • Fan Dimensions: 120 mm x 120 mm x 27 mm (w/ Anti-Vibration Rubber)
  • Fan Speed: 300~1500 RPM
Excellent Compatibility
Thanks to the offset and asymmetrical design, this cooler has great compatibility with memory modules and graphic cards even on LGA 2011 (V3) / LGA 2066 sockets. Standing only 154.5 mm tall, the Mugen 5 Black perfectly fits most tower cases on the market.

Aesthetics and Style
The heatsink has a complete black coating and diamond engraved logo, it not only makes the cooler look good in style but also fits the most popular build color themes.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Great time to run massive ad campaigns for nicehash. Good job, press release website.
Do you think they do their jobs for free? Do you?

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Great time to run massive ad campaigns for nicehash. Good job, press release website.
What is this "ad campaign" you speak of? I have not seen advertisements on the Internet for quite a while, since the '90's have passed. If you're a snowflake which melts because you pesonally dislike cryptocurrencies, well, up yours, as young people say. Companies like Nicehash are most probably doing well right now, so they are likely to pay well for ad space.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If you're a snowflake which melts because you pesonally dislike cryptocurrencies, well, up yours, as young people say. Companies like Nicehash are most probably doing well right now, so they are likely to pay well for ad space.

But then it's not just about being able to buy the ad space, it's also about the demographic. A tech site known for gaming related reviews and news is a bizarre place to advertise a product that appeals to the complete opposite of that demographic.

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
But then it's not just about being able to buy the ad space, it's also about the demographic. A tech site known for gaming related reviews and news is a bizarre place to advertise a product that appeals to the complete opposite of that demographic.
This is a place where a lot of people actually have hardware capable of being used for a service like the one being advertised, so it's not a bizarre place for such advertisements at all. I'd say it's one of the most natural places for such a service.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
He's been reported as a troll for multiple similar postings.
On topic, anyone else think they like beQuiet's designs?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
This is a place where a lot of people actually have hardware capable of being used for a service like the one being advertised, so it's not a bizarre place for such advertisements at all. I'd say it's one of the most natural places for such a service.

Well saying that most of us here are males, well I think so, no data to backup that.

How about those Russian courtesan(being polite) sites then? Well it matches the same pattern. So why not? It is only natural, ain't it?

It is just being unpolite, that is it. You have to consider all opinions and remain neutral.

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
Well saying that most of us here are males, well I think so, no data to backup that.

How about those Russian courtesan(being polite) sites then? Well it matches the same pattern. So why not? It is only natural, ain't it?

It is just being unpolite, that is it. You have to consider all opinions and remain neutral.
I'm fairly sure any company willing to sell ad space has reasonable statistical proof their audience meets the advertiser's requirements.
As for prostitute ads, I have nothing against them, but most countries still have fairly strong religious influences which induce negative reactions caused by sexual repression and/or virtue signalling.
Considering all opinions and remaining neutral is simply impossible in those snowflake infected times of outrage culture. Take TPU for example - you have snowflakes who feel offended by anything and everything, fanboys and anti-fanboys of every single company out there, people of all opinions possible. If you were to average all the opinions and create a truly neutral place, it would be a gray circle. And even then you'd have some self-righteous moron screaming that a circle is racist and the only acceptable shape is an ellipse of a certain eccentricity. Also, grey is sexist, just because. Make it green with yellow dots.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Did I miss something, or what exactly does all of the above nonsense have to do with a posting about a cooler ?????

Do you think they do their jobs for free? Do you?

What is this "ad campaign" you speak of? I have not seen advertisements on the Internet for quite a while, since the '90's have passed. If you're a snowflake which melts because you pesonally dislike cryptocurrencies, well, up yours, as young people say. Companies like Nicehash are most probably doing well right now, so they are likely to pay well for ad space.

What exactly does all of the above have to do with a press release about a cooler, or did I miss something ???

Although I like it's overall appearance and the fact that it is advertised as a "black" cooler that is actually, like, black, I would never want such a humongous hunk of metal hanging off my mobo... :)

He's been reported as a troll for multiple similar postings.
On topic, anyone else think they like beQuiet's designs?
Well the Mugen5 has been around for a few years now. The only similarities to bequiet are the paint job. Also while the Mugen designs have evolved over the years, they kinda stick to the original's. And the Mugen model has been around much longer than the beQuiet brand altogether.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
TBH, I wouldnt mind seeing this cooler with a 140mm fan or atleast a mount for them

If you're a snowflake which melts because you pesonally dislike cryptocurrencies, well, up yours, as young people say.
Cryptocurrencies account for as much power usage as Argentina so just how many snowflakes is that melting!!?

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
Cryptocurrencies account for as much power usage as Argentina so just how many snowflakes is that melting!!?
I sure hope a lot, I honestly dislike cold weather. And the planet being slowly turned into Arrakis? I'll long be dead before it happens, as a nihilist I can say I really don't care what will happen after I'm gone.

Also while the Mugen designs have evolved over the years, they kinda stick to the original's. And the Mugen model has been around much longer than the beQuiet brand altogether.
Incidentally, I currently use the Mugen 5, upgraded from Mugen 2 after it was damaged during a move. It really did evolve over the years and I can't say anything bad about this version. The mount is maybe a little on the "too secure" side (but very easy even without having three hands), the thing handles a 9700k semi-passively (no OC, just maxed turbo), fan is reasonably quiet and the whole thing is priced adequately. It's a good, competent cooler with no unnecessary fluff, blinking lights and such.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Mugen 5 has always been a go-to. I've got a Mugen Max that also rules.

The problem has always been that they DON'T advertise enough... to the point where even KNOWING Scythe, like ever having a Scythe cooler in your hands, automatically identifies you as someone who's really been in it. Serious builders often like them because they're not fancy, they're not extravagantly priced, and the consistently top out in their performance brackets. And we know about them because we're a little more used to sniffing out oddball stuff. But the point is, some remember Scythe from when more people knew them, and we know they never let up on making better coolers.

And nobody cares. Except for the ones who know. Pretty much every time they come up there's like 2-3 people chiming in about how good they are and how long they've used them for, and then everyone else is just hanging back like they've never even heard of them. They may have seen the name on a chart in a cooler benchmark, with a couple of dozen other convoluted cooler names.

It really shouldn't be that way. It's not like you have to be a 'serious builder' to have a Scythe cooler. But for some reason Scythe hasn't ever really gotten up and gotten themselves out there. I guess whatever they do works, because they keep doing it and they're still here. It's just weird that they're like one of those 'best kept secrets' in coolers when I pretty sure if more people could have them, more would buy them.

Black finish is nice. I've got a Be Quiet! cooler now that I probably would've passed on for this exact cooler. I basically bought it because it is JUST black and they too make good coolers, if not expensive. I just hope Scythe has some plans for how to get them available in more places. That's the only other thing I ever hear about them "I'd love to get one, but I can never find them over here."

Last edited: