• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA RTX 3060 Hashrate Limiter Defeated, GeForce 470.05 Driver Unlocks Full Mining Performance

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Biggest NVidia trollol

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
ITT: whiners whining about lack of stock during a pandemic and prices on GPUs being high, again.

Because 2006 never happened.

Seeing the amount of 3060 stocks in Hungarian webshops, I'm not surprised at all: they are as well double the MSRP price as other 3000 models, however, their raw performance is underwhelming: ~2070 performance and below 2070S RT performance with nearly the same power consumption.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
two dwarves walk into a bar?
And the Barman says, No miners allowed?
On topic, if the report is correct that one card can game and mine unlimited, but multiple cards are restricted, then it's a win for gamers.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That's actually not true at all. GUI accelerators for AT compatibles weren't much more than $300 for the home consumer markets. More expensive accelerators existed, obviously, and between 1992 and 1994 there were some very expensive 3D accelerators using OpenGL (then still under the distribution of SGI) but entry cost, capable 3D accelerators existed and then thrived after 1996. Voodoo was $150 (Only $251 in 2021 dollars), Voodoo 2 raised that to $249 and $299 depending on model, still only just cracking $500 in 2021 dollars. Those were flagship 3D accelerators of their day for less than $500. A wide range of workstation oriented accelerators existed at the same time for exuberant prices, but that's no different than today. What is different is that a mid-tier consumer card currently costs more than almost any flagship consumer card in the last 25 years, even adjusted for inflation. Even the legendary flagship 8800 Ultra with its astonishing $830 MSRP in 2007 ($1,052 today) is falling far short of the selling price of an RTX 3060 Ti; 4 steps down from flagship.

View attachment 192583

Maybe its just my view and general financial situation at the time then. I stand corrected. But even so - midrange gaming was readily available until a few years back for as little as 250-300 too. And the stack of GPUs covers a much wider range of performance, plus the market has gone much more mainstream now. These are all elements in price inflation but they don't directly spell that 'gaming is more expensive'. When it comes to the last few generations, yes. But let's rewind a bit to just prior to that... Nvidia released Maxwell, and the 970 was a perf/buck king for the midrange. Then came Pascal, and a mining wave. Pascal still ended up at good price in the hands of gamers... and the performance cap was quite a leap - even in the midrange. Yes, we did pay a bit more. But we got a bit more too.

Then.... AMD stopped competing against anything over a 1070-1080 in performance, while their Pascal answer was even worse than their Maxwell answer at the time. And the performance capped out for them. Release after release, no goal posts were moved. Then... well... Turing... RT inflation because no competition... and then pandemic + mining.

Basically the stars have aligned in the worst possible way since 2018-2019. But at the same time... we have a competitive AMD GPU stack now, even if none are available - the race is reigniting, which means if supply picks up, price will be going down. And yes, we will pay RT tax. Yes, we will pay node tax. The demand is still high. But unobtanium for gaming is just not an option, that'd be self destruction for numerous companies, not just AMD or Nvidia - and that touches on a last argument to consider: if you want to drag gamers back into the game, you'll be doing things to motivate them. Price bumps are not it, but another perf/buck king certainly is.

Let's take a step and look at people who actually studied what is "luxury" like Maslow in a certain way :
View attachment 192575
(this doesn't cover the whole subject at all)

Even if our physiological needs are fulfilled, we cannot say the same for the safety needs due to pandemic : personal security isn't guaranteed, unemployment is at our door, some resources (not taking electronics into account) are missing, health is threatened every day ...
Only the top of the pyramid is luxury, no the rest even if in our mind it's like "Isn't that so hard to live in a dictatorship ?Nahhh"

My point is : we were quite a the top of this hierarchy before 2020. You couldn't play your favorite game ? Not that bad because you could travel, be somewhere else, see your friends, family, work on yourself, whatever. We were "the most we could be". So reaching for more lower tier desire was luxury at the time.
Now you're freaking stuck on our safety needs. Videogames comes with connecting with people and a bit of freedom for others. It's a bubble of fresh air, not only a luxury.

If we're so pissed, it's not because Nvidia is screwing us (they always do) like never before, but mostly because we are in desperate need of an escape.
We aren't all a big rich and happy family, with 2 kids and a dog, with a house and a garden. We all have our shitty lives going on, and cutting this is putting everyone on edge.

This is a long term situation, which will continue until the end of the Covid pandemic so people can travel and do something else. So let's say ... 2 more years ? because people are stupid and will break any curfew.
Edit : I do not criticize your post, just complement it. I agree about the "when the pandemic will be over", even if I don't see that coming any time soon.

This is a great argument you make in that regard. You're right. The options are getting brutally limited.

But... this pandemic is lasting for a year now. A year! We're slowly moving towards an exit strategy and we need measures to prevent new events better... but this is going to be a temporary thing. I don't think its fair to determine that as a norm, even if a year feels long by now. Maybe we're getting guided by that emotion a bit too much here.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
two dwarves walk into a bar?
and mine each other to death, yes.

And the Barman says, No miners allowed?
On topic, if the report is correct that one card can game and mine unlimited, but multiple cards are restricted, then it's a win for gamers.
I hope that report is correct. It would certainly limit the drivers usefulness to true mining farms.

You obviously are one of those miners that hate gamers with how toxic and condescending you sound lol and actually any company can control where their products go initially by just putting the mining reduction on ALL cards. If you want to mine get with the times and learn was Ascii is. I mean you have to be an idiot not to want to increase hashrates by 300% just to spite gamers and content creators who these cards were intended for. You sound almost as bad as the idiots trying to justify buying out stock and reselling as a "Genuis" business move. When any real businessman goes through the procedures to become a AUTHORIZED DEALER for the product they are scalping so at least their customer gets those small things like warranties. You kids and your easy money schemes never end lol wait till cryptocurrency dies. It's a worse idea than a floating exchange rate haha. "I have nothing to back my money but please accept it as worth more than your "gold backed" money" sounds like a bunch of conmen putting value where there is none hahaha
I've never mined. Anything else you wanna accuse me of? I know what ASCII is and I won't be surprised if I'm older than you.

Anyways, you have zero real arguments and a lot of ad hominem in your comment, so reported.

Oh, you've signed up just to reply to me, OMG. Perhaps you're someone on these forums who doesn't want to tarnish his karma. Moderators see your IP address - make sure you've used VPN to leave this comment 'cause otherwise the comment will be immediately traced to your real account.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Not surprised at this news. Apparently there is so much money to be made in mining right now. that miners see it as worthwhile to pay scalpers up to 3 times what the cards MSRP is set at.
I don't think this mining craze will end until there is so much cryptocurrency mined that it forces down mining. That probably will not happen during the Ampere lifespan.

Nvidia is going to have to take more action but that probably won't happen since they reported a 61% increase in revenue from last year. How do you go to a board meeting and tell the investors that they are going to try anything more to stop all that money coming in from miners?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Well, that is all relative.

They say RX 6700XT gets 47.5 MH/s when tuned for mining, at 120W.
RTX 3060 without limiter gets about the same at 110W.
RTX 3070 gets a little above 60 MH/s in similar circumstances and settings.

AMD has slightly less reason to worry about miners buying all of their cards. Not much less but a little.