• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Confronting NVIDIA's DLSS: AMD Confirms FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) to Launch in 2021

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
The FidelityFX works nice with CyberPunk. It does boost the performance considering how demanding that game is. I wish AMD hurry with the FSR release but I know it's better to wait a bit longer to get it done right. I'm really curious how this one will work.

I kinda have the feeling with you, if there's a game that favors AMD it should have been disregarded immediately from being a GPU performance indicator. Can't see you say the same about NV.
Since we have 2 major companies making GPUs, wouldn't it be healthy to have both "favored" games in the benchmark mix?

Huh, you mean putting both Hitman 2 and 3 in the same benchmarking suite? that is not how a fair reviewer would choose their games.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Huh, you mean putting both Hitman 2 and 3 in the same benchmarking suite? that is not how a fair reviewer would choose their games.
LOL this from the guy that to put it “politely” was “insistent” your precious DLSS should be included in every benchmark, so basically the limited number of games that support it so basically that was “fair” right?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The FidelityFX works nice with CyberPunk. It does boost the performance considering how demanding that game is. I wish AMD hurry with the FSR release but I know it's better to wait a bit longer to get it done right. I'm really curious how this one will work.

I kinda have the feeling with you, if there's a game that favors AMD it should have been disregarded immediately from being a GPU performance indicator. Can't see you say the same about NV.
Since we have 2 major companies making GPUs, wouldn't it be healthy to have both "favored" games in the benchmark mix?
Every game favours one architecture or another. This has been true since the dawn of GPUs. Does anybody remember 3DFX and their proprietary API, Glide? Or S3D? I do.

It's only that we don't have proprietary APIs anymore, just proprietary technologies. As every game works with one or more of these technologies, there's no such thing as an impartial game for benchmarking. I think we should all forget about labelling games "AMD-favoured" or "nvidia-favoured", and either focus on the specific game that each one of us wants to play (that's what I usually do while skimming through reviews), or take an average of as many games as possible - which is an objective, but not very useful way to measure GPU performance, imo.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Every game favours one architecture or another. This has been true since the dawn of GPUs. Does anybody remember 3DFX and their proprietary API, Glide? Or S3D? I do.

It's only that we don't have proprietary APIs anymore, just proprietary technologies. As every game works with one or more of these technologies, there's no such thing as an impartial game for benchmarking. I think we should all forget about labelling games "AMD-favoured" or "nvidia-favoured", and either focus on the specific game that each one of us wants to play (that's what I usually do while skimming through reviews), or take an average of as many games as possible - which is an objective, but not very useful way to measure GPU performance, imo.
Well I agree for the most part but API has a feature set that’s agnostic. The engine that uses it is where the propriety stiff gets added

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Well I agree for the most part but API has a feature set that’s agnostic. The engine that uses it is where the propriety stiff gets added
True, though games use more or less of certain agnostic features that run better or worse on certain GPU architectures. I mean, games can be shader-intensive, memory-intensive, etc. which can be favoured by one specific kind of GPU over another. You add all the proprietary stuff to this, and you've got a very mixed landscape of games, where nothing can be discarded as a "sponsored title". Every title is sponsored, or at least favoured by one GPU brand or another.

Edit: That's why I don't look at average values when I'm reading hardware reviews. Instead, I only look at the games that I play, or want to play.

Last edited:
System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
LOL this from the guy that to put it “politely” was “insistent” your precious DLSS should be included in every benchmark, so basically the limited number of games that support it so basically that was “fair” right?

Turning off DLSS 2.0 in supported game is like making an aircraft race with a car on road for the sake of apple to apple comparison, sure the Aircraft can run well on road but that's not all of its capability, get it?
DLSS Quality should be the default setting in supported games for RTX owners, yet it is turned off for the sake of apple to apple comparison LOL.
Same thing with Ray Tracing, now that RX6000 also include support for DXR, turning it off is just stupid. How about just test every game with Low Settings, make it apple to apple comparison and then every GPU is equal because they are getting CPU bound LOL.

I was never against Hitman3 being included in the benchmark suite, just saying hitman 3 perform exactly like hitman 2 would, so no idea why @ratirt think I was against Hitman3 being included.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Turning off DLSS 2.0 in supported game is like making an aircraft race with a car on road for the sake of apple to apple comparison, sure the Aircraft can run well on road but that's not all of its capability, get it?
DLSS Quality should be the default setting in supported games for RTX owners, yet it turned off for the sake of apple to apple comparison LOL.

I was never against Hitman3 being included in the benchmark suite, just saying hitman 3 perform exactly like hitman 2 would, so no idea why @ratirt think I was against Hitman3 being included.
Well no my point is any game that can use DLSS will obviously have its advantages that can’t be compared.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
making an aircraft race with a car on road for the sake of apple to apple comparison
Using car vs aircraft analogy when talking about puny TAA derivative, just when I was wondering whether things can get any crazier in the green lands... :D

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Yeah I mean i don’t know if 95% was default but I was well into the game when I noticed it so I’ve just left it there was already used to the IQ. Death Stranding as a whole was a really well optimized game but always turn on the “special sauce” anyway
To be honest, I used the 80% FidelityFX and It looked OK but the boost in FPS was substantial. It's pretty good but I wouldn't go below 70. Otherwise you will see some noise on the ground and it ruins the game kinda. Unless you don't have a choice.

It is a benchmark suite. Somebody decided these two are there. You may like it or not. Dismissing it just because NV sucks in those titles is not right. Besides, If you were to dismiss all the games that favor one system than the other you would have a very mediocre comprehension about the cards. Also "fair" for you is when NV is leading if it doesn't then RT and DLSS is broth to light. It is kinda funny. Besides this is not about NV but FidelityFX.
I've ran some tests with the CP2077 and I like it.

Well, as I see it, the more proprietary the more money you have to pay for it and incompatibility creeps in. Favors meaning runs better on one than the other? Favors meaning has been sponsored and the other company's arch is crippled? "Favor" one architecture is very misleading.
This graphics cards are different and the obvious thing is one game will run better on one architecture than the other. It's just nowadays, I can see, if something runs better on one graphics, means that it must "favor" one architecture. Whatever hides behind this "favors" one than the other. It is not about benchamrking and which is faster it kinda MUST favor one than the other. That's an incorrect statement in my book.
That's just the way it is now.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, as I see it, the more proprietary the more money you have to pay for it and incompatibility creeps in. Favors meaning runs better on one than the other? Favors meaning has been sponsored and the other company's arch is crippled? "Favor" one architecture is very misleading.
This graphics cards are different and the obvious thing is one game will run better on one architecture than the other. It's just nowadays, I can see, if something runs better on one graphics, means that it must "favor" one architecture. Whatever hides behind this "favors" one than the other. It is not about benchamrking and which is faster it kinda MUST favor one than the other. That's an incorrect statement in my book.
That's just the way it is now.
Yes, I mean X game runs better on Y hardware because of reasons - it might prefer memory bandwidth, it might prefer a certain GPU architecture, or the developers might be sponsored by nvidia or AMD. It doesn't matter. What matters is, if we disregard the games that run better on nvidia or AMD hardware, then we pretty much end up with no game to benchmark.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Yes, I mean X game runs better on Y hardware because of reasons - it might prefer memory bandwidth, it might prefer a certain GPU architecture, or the developers might be sponsored by nvidia or AMD. It doesn't matter. What matters is, if we disregard the games that run better on nvidia or AMD hardware, then we pretty much end up with no game to benchmark.
I think the memory is a key here. You've changed your narrative, no longer "favor" but performs better. I think there's a huge difference between "favor" and "performs better". Reviewers should benchmark games performing better on each architecture. Maybe, same number of games from each camp. I wouldn't bring sponsored games to that equation. It has been established that sponsored games run better on one architecture than the other and there no shock here.

Last edited:
always copying, always releasing tech similar to Intel and Nvidia. when will amd invent something completely unique before anyone else? Never.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Determining what game prefers hardware from which vendor is not straightforward so what exactly would you disregard? Where exactly is the zero point for preferring (or performs better on)? For example there are fairly general-level things like Unreal Engine that is claimed to prefer Nvidia or CryEngine that AMD GPUs seem to have trouble with.

D

Deleted member 205776

always copying, always releasing tech similar to Intel and Nvidia. when will amd invent something completely unique before anyone else? Never.
Always posting comments with little to no substance. When will voltage post something that contributes to the topic? Never.

This is literally the fourth comment I've seen from you that is the exact same thing. Be more original and less of a fanboy.

"AMD invented x86-64. Intel is always copying, always releasing CPUs similar to AMD. When will Intel invent something completely unique before anyone else? Never". There you go, I made a statement that is about as baseless as yours. Yes, whoever makes the technology first pioneered it. But that doesn't mean everybody else making their own versions to create something called competition is inherently copying.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Determining what game prefers hardware from which vendor is not straightforward so what exactly would you disregard? Where exactly is the zero point for preferring (or performs better on)? For example there are fairly general-level things like Unreal Engine that is claimed to prefer Nvidia or CryEngine that AMD GPUs seem to have trouble with.
That's exactly my point. Instead of pointing fingers at "nvidia titles" or "AMD titles", it's better to benchmark whatever we can, or whatever we're interested in. A good game is a good game regardless of what platform it prefers, or who sponsored the developers.