• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Backtracks on PS3 & PS Vita PlayStation Store Closure

Sony had previously announced plans to shut down the PlayStation digital store for PS3 and PS Vita devices later this year but after the public backlash they have decided to reverse this decision and now plan to keep the store open on these devices for the "foreseeable future". Sony stated that their decision to shut down the store was a mistake and that they were inspired by the passionate gamers who wanted the store to remain live. This move will help to preserve the digital-only games released on the platforms. Sony still intends to retire PSP commerce functionality on July 2nd as planned, the full announcement can be found below.

Jim Ryan said:
Recently, we notified players that PlayStation Store for PS3 and PS Vita devices was planned to end this summer.

Upon further reflection, however, it's clear that we made the wrong decision here. So today I'm happy to say that we will be keeping the PlayStation Store operational for PS3 and PS Vita devices. PSP commerce functionality will retire on July 2, 2021 as planned.

When we initially came to the decision to end purchasing support for PS3 and PS Vita, it was born out of a number of factors, including commerce support challenges for older devices and the ability for us to focus more of our resources on newer devices where a majority of our gamers are playing on. We see now that many of you are incredibly passionate about being able to continue purchasing classic games on PS3 and PS Vita for the foreseeable future, so I'm glad we were able to find a solution to continue operations.

I'm glad that we can keep this piece of our history alive for gamers to enjoy, while we continue to create cutting-edge new game worlds for PS4, PS5, and the next generation of VR.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us - we're always listening and appreciate the support from our PlayStation community.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Honestly we are past the point where laws need to be introduced about stuff like this.

Personally I am ok with a developer stopping to work on an online game, but I feel they should be obligated to then make the game open so players can host the game themselves on personal servers or their own computer.

More on topic though, I dont even get why Sony needs to shut this down....they have playstation network still up and running and will continue to do so for the Playstation 5, is it really that much work to have the ps3 just hitchhike along, is that really that much more work and stress on the servers they are already employing?

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
Backpedalling at its finest.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
PS3 sold around 87 million units, and is considered half of it are jailbreakers, it is still quite a lot of players.

More on topic though, I dont even get why Sony needs to shut this down....they have playstation network still up and running and will continue to do so for the Playstation 5, is it really that much work to have the ps3 just hitchhike along, is that really that much more work and stress on the servers they are already employing?

Simple, money. They planned obsolete on PS3 platform are to boost sales on " soon to be phasing out" PS4 platform. Since the two were still able to cross-play, Sony had to shut down one for "forced upgrade".

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Honestly we are past the point where laws need to be introduced about stuff like this.

Personally I am ok with a developer stopping to work on an online game, but I feel they should be obligated to then make the game open so players can host the game themselves on personal servers or their own computer.

We've been warning you for decades about this, how digital distribution removes ownership of your games from your hands and puts you at the mercy of the gaming industry, full of money grubbing sociopaths.

But no, digital purchases are just SOOO convenient that said, youll never have to worry about it they said.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
We've been warning you for decades about this, how digital distribution removes ownership of your games from your hands and puts you at the mercy of the gaming industry

+1 -- Pretty much this. But at the same time services like X-cloud will be a godsend for folks who cant afford to be forking out $80 two or three times a year everytime a new game drops so $10-15 a month for access to tonnes of games will make a lot of sense to some people. Its bad because its digital but its also good because it means that less well off families can get in on the action and have something to entertain their kids that shouldnt break the bank.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
We've been warning you for decades about this, how digital distribution removes ownership of your games from your hands and puts you at the mercy of the gaming industry, full of money grubbing sociopaths.

But no, digital purchases are just SOOO convenient that said, youll never have to worry about it they said.
I was kind of indifferent until EA took Dead Space off Google app store. I paid so much money for it and now I can't even go back to it...why?...it wasn't compatible with newer versions of Android....they said....let me decide it people! And it was exactly then, when I realized how not awesome the situation was.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
+1 -- Pretty much this. But at the same time services like X-cloud will be a godsend for folks who cant afford to be forking out $80 two or three times a year everytime a new game drops so $10-15 a month for access to tonnes of games will make a lot of sense to some people. Its bad because its digital but its also good because it means that less well off families can get in on the action and have something to entertain their kids that shouldnt break the bank.
I still dont think its a good deal, when I was growing up we didnt have much money, I bought all my games used, on physical disk, for $10-15 a year or two after they came out, and managed to build up a 150 game library over 8 years. Of course thats a completely different topic.

I dont really consider the likes of X-cloud to be in the same boat, after all that is sold as a subscription service and doesnt try to bill itself as you "owning" anything. Like I'm not of the illusion that anything I rent from amazon prime will stay there forever, but digital purchases cost as much as physical while being technically rentals, even worse they've nromalized the spending of 70+ on games, its much harder to spend $85 for a collectors edition when you have to do it in person.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
The backlash that Sony is facing likely has something to do with the fact that their customers are now aware of the fact that cmos battery failure on the PS4 and the PS5 will effectively brick these consoles if the Sony servers are no longer operational. The optics are just really bad and they know it.

Simple fix, keep the Sony servers up until the last PlayStation / Vita device is in that great landfill in the sky.

Sony is a multi billion $$$ conglomerate they can take the hit on this one and keep the servers up. This is like Microsoft keeping Activation servers up for Windows XP, Windows 7, Office and other products long after they are no longer supported. It’s an obligation that they created for themselves.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I still dont think its a good deal, when I was growing up we didnt have much money, I bought all my games used, on physical disk, for $10-15 a year or two after they came out, and managed to build up a 150 game library over 8 years. Of course thats a completely different topic.

I dont really consider the likes of X-cloud to be in the same boat, after all that is sold as a subscription service and doesnt try to bill itself as you "owning" anything. Like I'm not of the illusion that anything I rent from amazon prime will stay there forever, but digital purchases cost as much as physical while being technically rentals, even worse they've nromalized the spending of 70+ on games, its much harder to spend $85 for a collectors edition when you have to do it in person.

I personally think its a great deal but it depends on the mindset you approach it from. If paying $10-15 a month gets you access to thousands of games and even blockbuster titles then that is one hell of a deal. Obviously the issue is game ownership. Once you stop paying your subscription or it lapses -- Everything is gone.

For a lot of people something like X-cloud ticks a lot of boxes, Not just for low-income families but for casual players or even hardcore players who like the ability to try a load of games out first before buying it in the shop.

Imagine if you only had a 2 or 3 hrs a week that you could sit and game. forking out $60-80 for ONE or even TWO games can be seen as bad value where as $10-15 can get you so much more and youre not stuck to playing those one or two games that you purchased.

There are many ways to spin a service like X-Cloud, It just depends how Microsoft implements it at the end of the day.

It might not work for you. It might not tick your boxes but it will for a lot of other people. Nobody said you had to buy into it if you think its a bad deal, Just like stadia.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
I personally think its a great deal but it depends on the mindset you approach it from. If paying $10-15 a month gets you access to thousands of games and even blockbuster titles then that is one hell of a deal. Obviously the issue is game ownership. Once you stop paying your subscription or it lapses -- Everything is gone.

For a lot of people something like X-cloud ticks a lot of boxes, Not just for low-income families but for casual players or even hardcore players who like the ability to try a load of games out first before buying it in the shop.

Imagine if you only had a 2 or 3 hrs a week that you could sit and game. forking out $60-80 for ONE or even TWO games can be seen as bad value where as $10-15 can get you so much more and youre not stuck to playing those one or two games that you purchased.

There are many ways to spin a service like X-Cloud, It just depends how Microsoft implements it at the end of the day.

It might not work for you. It might not tick your boxes but it will for a lot of other people. Nobody said you had to buy into it if you think its a bad deal, Just like stadia.
I mean this might work if you were really into multiplayer games and didnt mind jumping to new games every week or two. When I buy a game, I play it for long periods of time. I bought project wingman and have sunk over 30 hours into it, finally staring to get bored of it. That's a relatively short indie game that only cost $25. I fit the description you have, someone who only has a handful of hours to game any particular week, and even then I'd spend much more on a $15 subscription then I would on just buying the handful of games I want per year on sale.

On console it may make more sense where games are $60, but on PC where sales are common and you have competition (not to mention a 30+ year backlog of older games for under $10, like fallout NV, the OG mass effect, star wars battlefront, supereme commander, old NFS and burnout paradise games, ece) the price honestly makes little to no sense unless you want to constantly swap games. I know people like that, but they are the type to dedicate 4-5 hours a day to gaming on weeknights and 10+ hours on weekends, and can complete entire games in less then a week. I cant think of anyone with limited time on their hands to game who also want to jump between titles constantly, you'd never be able to get into a particular title.

Most of the people I know who enjoy games but have limited time to play them usually stick to 1-3 games over the course of a few years, like skyrim and halo, or fallout and forza, or something like that, because what is the point of having hundreds of games at your disposal if you never get the chance to get into them?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I mean this might work if you were really into multiplayer games and didnt mind jumping to new games every week or two. When I buy a game, I play it for long periods of time. I bought project wingman and have sunk over 30 hours into it, finally staring to get bored of it. That's a relatively short indie game that only cost $25. I fit the description you have, someone who only has a handful of hours to game any particular week, and even then I'd spend much more on a $15 subscription then I would on just buying the handful of games I want per year on sale.

On console it may make more sense where games are $60, but on PC where sales are common and you have competition (not to mention a 30+ year backlog of older games for under $10, like fallout NV, the OG mass effect, star wars battlefront, supereme commander, old NFS and burnout paradise games, ece) the price honestly makes little to no sense unless you want to constantly swap games. I know people like that, but they are the type to dedicate 4-5 hours a day to gaming on weeknights and 10+ hours on weekends, and can complete entire games in less then a week. I cant think of anyone with limited time on their hands to game who also want to jump between titles constantly, you'd never be able to get into a particular title.

Most of the people I know who enjoy games but have limited time to play them usually stick to 1-3 games over the course of a few years, like skyrim and halo, or fallout and forza, or something like that, because what is the point of having hundreds of games at your disposal if you never get the chance to get into them?

Choice is the spice of life friend. Why force yourself to stay in a cage when the door is open and there is an entire world to explore outside? There are so many different game genres out there and the great thing about this service is if theres a game you dont like then there are thousands of others to try so long as its available on the service and your subscription is all payed up.

How about this way. What if youre a parent with two or three kids that all like something different. Are you going to buy each of them a $60-80 game? Again thats where the convenience comes in. You keep pushing your point like no-one else exists in this world but you and just because you think its a bad deal then its bad deal for everyone.

Its easily a one size fits all approach. I dont know if there will be 'family' accounts but even if you pay $20-30 a month and have access to games that the entire family can play thats a win win situation.

if you dont think the service is a good deal. Dont subscribe to it. Keep buying your games one at a time digitally or physically.

If sure if you introduced your friends who stick to one or two games because of limited time and money to a service like x-cloud, They would probably enjoy it more because they arent locked to the games they paid for.

Trust. I know what i would choose, And Microsoft has been buying up a lot of studios so there will be tonnes more content available.

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
Sad that they're shutting down the PSP store - I have a Silver PSP-2001 and there's a few games that are hard to find for a reasonable price.
I guess my disc games will be worth more now, though.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402