• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Exynos 2200 SoC, Built on 4 nm, Packs Faster RDNA2 GPU

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Samsung intends to take its partnership with AMD for graphics further, by designing its next-generation Exynos 2200 "Pamir" SoC with a faster GPU based on the AMD RDNA2 graphics architecture. Bound for the second half of 2021, Exynos 2200 will be built on Samsung's swanky new 4 nanometer 4LPP (4 nm Low Power Plus) silicon fabrication node, and integrate an RDNA2-based GPU codenamed "Voyager." Samsung hopes to compete with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 895 SoC and its Adreno 730 GPU. Interestingly, the new Snapdragon is also expected to be built on the same Samsung 4 nm node. It will be interesting to see what device the Exynos 2200 debuts with, given that both the Galaxy S22 and Galaxy Note 21 won't arrive before 2022.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
4nm LOL

Gotta love Samsungs "creative" marketing.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I wonder if this partnership with AMD would eventually lead to AMD using their wafers

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
4nm LOL

Gotta love Samsungs "creative" marketing.
Everything is marketing, TSMC's branding of 7nm is marketing too. There's nothing that tells you "this is 7 nm [whatever feature]."

Samsung dominance is coming.. Its over for apple and qualcom
Pfft, unlikely. Apple's market is completely differentiated from Android. And Qualcomm could easily retire and live off all the patents they hold over critical communication standards (5G, 4G, CDMA2000, etc.), if they wanted. Besides, if you think that they're gonna get stuck or allow themselves to be left behind, you have another thing coming.

Everything is marketing, TSMC's branding of 7nm is marketing too. There's nothing that tells you "this is 7 nm [whatever feature]."

Pfft, unlikely. Apple's market is completely differentiated from Android. And Qualcomm could easily retire and live off all the patents they hold over critical communication standards (5G, 4G, CDMA2000, etc.), if they wanted. Besides, if you think that they're gonna get stuck or allow themselves to be left behind, you have another thing coming.

Yeah, anyone believing the hype from either Samsung or Qualcomm needs to get a room.

Qualcomm They only continue the Adreno development because AMD handed them a team that was fully-capable of maintaining it's lead over Mali. The custom CPU devs drop if they get beaten just once.

Samsung: continue to hit walls with their process nodes ,thus holding back everything they make, including Qualcomm ( for a limited time, untill they go back to tsmc) . If the process gap gets bigger, Qualcomm ill leave permanently for TSMC

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name System V
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Case NZXT Source 210
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
I wonder if this partnership with AMD would eventually lead to AMD using their wafers

They might be forced to if Intel completes the deal with GloFo

Well, it wouldn't be a bad choice for sourcing at least the IOD. Samsung probably has better nodes than GF, even if they're not at TSMC's level. Maybe they could go as far as sourcing some specific products through Samsung's fabs.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Samsung dominance is coming.. Its over for apple and qualcom

I've had really bad luck with my samsung galaxy a50, it reboots on its own all the time for no reason... even after factory reset and the free upgrade to android 11 recently... battery doesn't last as long as advertised, and its filled with bloatware I can't get rid of like facebook, etc.

honestly I rarely even use my phone, I only need it for business/sometimes family/friends (my friends all use whatsapp/steam/etc)

so... seriously considering going to Apple with their next flagship in September/October... it will last me a solid 5+ years possibly longer if I pay $50 for the battery replacement when it needs it... since I am not a power user. Apple has one thing right, its unified ecosystem is awesome at security, no bloat, and just works.

that being said... its the only Apple product I'd ever consider buying.

I've had really bad luck with my samsung galaxy a50, it reboots on its own all the time for no reason... even after factory reset and the free upgrade to android 11 recently... battery doesn't last as long as advertised, and its filled with bloatware I can't get rid of like facebook, etc.

honestly I rarely even use my phone, I only need it for business/sometimes family/friends (my friends all use whatsapp/steam/etc)

so... seriously considering going to Apple with their next flagship in September/October... it will last me a solid 5+ years possibly longer if I pay $50 for the battery replacement when it needs it... since I am not a power user. Apple has one thing right, its unified ecosystem is awesome at security, no bloat, and just works.

Restarting problem in phone happens because your battery can't provide sufficient power to your phone. It needs replacement. Happened in my phone too. Fit as a fiddle now due to change in battery.

On another note, I hope GF gets bought up by Intel and AMD starts using Samsung fab more. While they are behind TSMC, they're much better choice than GF.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Restarting problem in phone happens because your battery can't provide sufficient power to your phone. It needs replacement. Happened in my phone too. Fit as a fiddle now due to change in battery.

On another note, I hope GF gets bought up by Intel and AMD starts using Samsung fab more. While they are behind TSMC, they're much better choice than GF.

dang I read GF as girlfriend for a min, and then I remembered I am lonely irl. LOL

who the heck is trustworthy to change my battery on the cheap? I am afraid if I go to some random joe they will just replace with it a "slightly used" battery and charge for new regardless... anywhere Official I can have it done so peace of mind?

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Qualcomm had the advantage of AMD IP and Apple basically stole whatever they could and always had a better node than the rest with TSMC.
Once Samsung has the better GPU i don't see why they can't beat qualcomm and apple, they probably pay a hefty price for this but it might be worth it in the long run, if US doesn't start banning Samsung devices and all that.
If you remember Apple bitched about Samsung for a long time and asked for favors from former president Trump who spilled the beans to reporters, you can find it on youtube.

Qualcomm had the advantage of AMD IP and Apple basically stole whatever they could and always had a better node than the rest with TSMC.
Once Samsung has the better GPU i don't see why they can't beat qualcomm and apple, they probably pay a hefty price for this but it might be worth it in the long run, if US doesn't start banning Samsung devices and all that.
If you remember Apple bitched about Samsung for a long time and asked for favors from former president Trump who spilled the beans to reporters, you can find it on youtube.
Apple are scared of competition.. trump destroyed Huawei's sales when there where beating apple

dang I read GF as girlfriend for a min, and then I remembered I am lonely irl. LOL

who the heck is trustworthy to change my battery on the cheap? I am afraid if I go to some random joe they will just replace with it a "slightly used" battery and charge for new regardless... anywhere Official I can have it done so peace of mind?
I prefer using service centres for these kinds of work. It's costly but work is usually good.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

The samsung A series are all junk. A50s, A40s. ece, never seen one go for more then a year without developing issues, and restarts with system wipes were common. total garbage.

Motorola's budget phones are WAY better, larger batteries and a much lower failure rate.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The samsung A series are all junk. A50s, A40s. ece, never seen one go for more then a year without developing issues, and restarts with system wipes were common. total garbage.

Motorola's budget phones are WAY better, larger batteries and a much lower failure rate.

I am most likely switching over to the third gen iphone SE when it comes out in early 2022. I really don't use my phone for anything, so I prefer to be on a solid ecosystem... plus for work it will just more simple that way. Rumors are it may only cost $299 or $349 as well... so that's nice.

System Name SYBARIS
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64

I'm in the same boat. I barely do anything besides watch videos or browse the web on my phone these days. That's why I bought a cheap-ass Poco M3 when my last phone gave out. It's in the $170 range iirc.

It's cheap enough that it won't financially drain me when (not if) it dies out on me. With locked batteries and fast charging wars, it's a matter of time until these things die.

If it doesn't die on me, it has Snapdragon SoC and enough indian nerds on XDA to give me almost lifetime of support. Not to mention Google Camera ports.

TBH I would've bought Samsung anyway cause I heard MIUI sucks (it does) and I heard good things about their OneUI. But after shopping around and comparing I found out that Samsung does only one year warranty albeit it's industry standard. But I didn't wanna pay for Samsung brand value, however much polished their software supposedly is.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm in the same boat. I barely do anything besides watch videos or browse the web on my phone these days. That's why I bought a cheap-ass Poco M3 when my last phone gave out. It's in the $170 range iirc.

It's cheap enough that it won't financially drain me when (not if) it dies out on me. With locked batteries and fast charging wars, it's a matter of time until these things die.

If it doesn't die on me, it has Snapdragon SoC and enough indian nerds on XDA to give me almost lifetime of support. Not to mention Google Camera ports.

TBH I would've bought Samsung anyway cause I heard MIUI sucks (it does) and I heard good things about their OneUI. But after shopping around and comparing I found out that Samsung does only one year warranty albeit it's industry standard. But I didn't wanna pay for Samsung brand value, however much polished their software supposedly is.

my next phone will be a Nokia if I stick with Android. I been to Finland before and really loved it there, so want to support a Finnish company if possible. and they have 3 years OS support and monthly security updates.

my next phone will be a Nokia if I stick with Android. I been to Finland before and really loved it there, so want to support a Finnish company if possible. and they have 3 years OS support and monthly security updates.
As far as I know, Nokia has worst restarting problems out of all brands. Aside from that, it's great, especially the stock android experience.

I been to Finland before and really loved it there, so want to support a Finnish company if possible. and they have 3 years OS support and monthly security updates.
Yeah except Nokia, the mobile company, is about as Finnish as Xiaomi ~ i.e. almost completely Chinese IIRC? And not sure about the latter claim either, I know Oneplus backpedaled on some of those claims & pretty sure not many companies are offering 3 year support on all their mobiles

System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
Yeah except Nokia, the mobile company, is about as Finnish as Xiaomi ~ i.e. almost completely Chinese IIRC? And not sure about the latter claim either, I know Oneplus backpedaled on some of those claims & pretty sure not many companies are offering 3 year support on all their mobiles

Nope. Nokia and HMD are both Finnish companies. However, Nokia itself only licenses the brand and the technology and patents, in exchange for royalties and mandating certain requirements. HMD is the one in charge of making the phones.

I agree with 'Windwhirl' here. Do you have any proof to support your claim of 'Nokia being being almost completely Chinese'.
I have Nokia phones in my home. OS update is for 2 years and security update for 3 years. They're pretty good with updates, imo.

HMD is the one in charge of making the phones.
I know that bit & I also know that the phones are 100% manufactured outside Finland, also in India.
Do you have any proof to support your claim of 'Nokia being being almost completely Chinese'.
Well how about they're made in China, almost 100% & software I'm not totally sure if they're using stock Android for all their phones or some other Chinese custom UI?

System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
I know that bit & I also know that the phones are 100% manufactured outside Finland, also in India.

Well how about they're made in China, almost 100% & software I'm not totally sure if they're using stock Android for all their phones or some other Chinese custom UI?
Dude, like 99% of everything is made in China. Might as well say that every piece of hardware in the world is compromised by nature of origin.