• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Begins Replacing GeForce RTX 3090 Cards Bricked by New World, Problem Not Localized to RTX 3090

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In case you missed it, the closed beta of Amazon's upcoming MMO, "New World," has been found bricking (rendering useless) certain GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards; ones that are supposed to be mighty powerful for a fairly average-looking game, visually. EVGA has come forward to announce that RTX 3090 cards bricked by the MMO are fully covered under the product warranty, and eligible for replacement. Hot Hardware reports that EVGA has been honoring RMA and warranty claims from its RTX 3090 product owners.

Meanwhile, JayzTwoCents tweeted that the problem with New World may not be localized to the RTX 3090, with graphics card owners across a multitude of GPUs, including from the GeForce RTX 30-series, Radeon RX 6000 series, and even RX 500 "Polaris," reporting shut-downs and failures when running the game. On its part, Amazon's game studio said that it is working on a patch that fixes the game. The company is free from liability, as this is a closed beta, and everyone who installs these agree to a license that absolves the developer of liability from damage to property resulting from its use.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Looks like this game in its beta mode serves 2 purpose,
1. Test the game
2. Test the build of your GPU

Let's just hope that other GPU manufacturers will follow EVGA in honoring warranty for GPUs that are not build up to a high standard and damaged as a result of the game. Technically, the GPUs are running within specs (assuming no crazy overclocking).

D

Deleted member 185088

"The company is free from liability, as this is a closed beta, and everyone who installs these agree to a license that absolves the developer of damage to property resulting from its use."

While I understand their wanting to not bleed money, this is a scummy move.
It takes 2 hands to clap. I am pretty sure there are fine prints/ TnC for entering the beta testing. If people choose to join the beta, while ignoring the risk, you can't really blame the game/ software developers right?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
"The company is free from liability, as this is a closed beta, and everyone who installs these agree to a license that absolves the developer of damage to property resulting from its use."

While I understand their wanting to not bleed money, this is a scummy move.

I would never play a game made by Amazon, lol.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
It takes 2 hands to clap. I am pretty sure there are fine prints/ TnC for entering the beta testing. If people choose to join the beta, while ignoring the risk, you can't really blame the game/ software developers right?
No one expects the risk of running a beta GAME to be dead hardware. Stability problems, in game problems, maybe. Killing hardware, no, no one expects that. Not even thinking it as a possibility. So, it's not about "ignoring the risk".

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Should have amazon pay for this shit, but again Amazon gets away with pretty much every thing.

How a game can brick a gpu is beyond me, brick meaning it will not work again, meaning only way is rma, what the hell? I have never seen or heard such a thing. Anybody has a technical theory to explain how this is possible because hackers or mawares can take the same procedure to brick gpus from now on if this is true.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
Putting on my tinfoil hat for a sec, its a bit weird that its been 48 hours since Jay's tweet about it affecting Radeon cards, and no one else has independently verified this.

@Metroid - AHO goes into this, might give some idea.

No one expects the risk of running a beta GAME to be dead hardware. Stability problems, in game problems, maybe. Killing hardware, no, no one expects that. Not even thinking it as a possibility. So, it's not about "ignoring the risk".
Nobody expects does not mean that it won't, as clearly exhibited in this case. People always don't assume the worst, just like everyone of us will expect that we will wake up tomorrow, healthy and live another day, which is not always the case.

How a game can brick a gpu is beyond me, brick meaning it will not work again, meaning only way is rma, what the hell? I have never seen or heard such a thing. Anybody has a technical theory to explain how this is possible because hackers or mawares can take the same procedure to brick gpus from now on if this is true.
Never realize that a game can fry the GPU as well. Usually its a messed up driver that may kill it. But I think there will always be precedence and this is a warning to game developers as well as potential game testers. In fact, I believe most games in the past were tested internally, so we never really know what happens until it is more or less ready. It is only over the last half a decade that we see more of such open alpha/beta testing.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
Nobody expects does not mean that it won't, as clearly exhibited in this case. People always don't assume the worst, just like everyone of us will expect that we will wake up tomorrow, healthy and live another day, which is not always the case.
It's a game, it's not an stability application that is torturing the card in the worst way possible, to even imagine that possibility. Think of an antivirus application for example in beta that burns out RAM sticks or CPUs (if that was possible). Downloading and running that beta antivirus, would never make you think that your RAM or CPU gets destroyed. Maybe give false positives or miss a virus or two, but never expecting to kill your hardware.
They are totally different situations and no one is expected to imagine the unexpected as a possibility. In that case I should avoid running beta programs because they could give me cancer or something.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Amazon Studios is its own game division. Amazon makes games now in-house.
Amazon Games, Amazon Studios is their movie division.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
This is all damage control and FUD. By all indications the actual bricking problem is limited to specific EVGA models which trip physical protections.
This day and age, software should not be able to actually brick a card.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185088

It's not the game's fault, rather it's the poorly designed EVGA card, other cards have protection in place.
So rather, no one expects buying a card not using industry standard protections.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This is all damage control and FUD. By all indications the actual bricking problem is limited to specific EVGA models which trip physical protections.
This day and age, software should not be able to actually brick a card.

At this point I also think it's a design flaw in the EVGA 3090

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It seems it is limited to the EVGA model due to design faults, the other cards just protect themselves because the game being in beta is buggy.

Please update so don't mislead people.

I do not share the opinion with him this time. A lot of bullshit info from engineering stand point.

A point where sensors are to slow, comparing time frame with the sensor speed, thus it is not fast enough to react? Bullshit. You can even predict the load as a software algo, it does not need to be in sync. I agree that the circuit is not capable enough and that's just it. You always have hysteresis and and you have to have a reserve. At least 150% in current and thermal capacity. We all know the latter is already screwed on 3090ies.

The rant about the fan tachometer going cuckoo. It is stupid, so what? It is hardware combination flaw. The tach is an open collector design. Problem is, that some fans are different and needs different pullup resistors to work at all RPM range it just desyncs. It ain't a software fix. The engineering sample prolly used some different fans, and they implemented a default solution, just the fans are problematic. I've encountered same issues on certain motherboards too.

Seconds... it does not matter a bit. The fans are driven via duty cycle parameter with the PWM pin, it simply does not care for the RPM value, it could be measured in cockroaches or daisy leaves or whatever... as long it is there above 0 it is all good and it will not trigger FAN failure warning.

Also the Jayztwopesos are overreacting about other card failures. I can bet that each game have killed some card when it came out, just because it is electronics and failures are normal in a small percent, one Radeon card died oh yeah... that sure could not be a coincidence.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
pay $60 bucks to brick your card? sure why the hell not! just sign this bit of fine print absolving our product from liability.

EULA's they need to clean them up, most of them are bullsnot.

ixi

If software could brick components, that would be so cool, chaos everywhere.

It is EVGA fault that their protection measurements do not work. Once again they failed with gpu sector. Letting overheat, eat more power or what is the case.

Gtx 1080 ti was my first and last gpu from them.

Audio Device(s) onboard
It's not the game's fault, rather it's the poorly designed EVGA card, other cards have protection in place.
So rather, no one expects buying a card not using industry standard protections.
No arguments here. My only argument was against the idea that a "beta" sign covers any kind of damage. Even damage that no one could have ever think possible.

If software could brick components, that would be so cool, chaos everywhere.
RMAs just weeks or even days before the warranty ends would have been the normal. People would be expecting to either get their money back and go and buy the new model, or the new equivalent model directly from the manufacturer (for example a GTX 3060 in place of a GTX 2070), or simply a new sealed replacement with a limited warranty that because it is sealed and comes with warranty, even a few months warranty, will be sold for more money in the second hand market.
As you said, chaos!

Last edited:
It's a hardware design fault / weakness of these cards inability to either throttle down when approaching its power limit or very weak power delivery circuits that fry under sustained load / sudden spikes. This is 100% a hardware problem and singling out New World is pointless when as mentioned on other thread, there are literally hundreds of games (old and new alike) that have uncapped fps in menu's that result in similar complaints about fans ramp up to 100%, etc. Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, etc, that would result in the same thing. I've seen 20 year old games with +8000fps in the main menu with screaming 100% fans and even squealing capacitors especially on W10 where due to changes made in DWM (since W7), VSync frame-locks often stops working on DirectX 7-8 games (compared to W7), so unless you manually cap rates or use tools like dgVoodoo2 to upgrade the renderer to at least DX9, and no-one's going to go back and patch those games up. In a perfect world we wouldn't see 100% GPU usage on main menus due to better designed software. But then in a perfect world, every game would be perfectly optimised, have rebindable keys & Ultrawide support, no negative mouse acceleration, etc, and expecting 100% of games devs to do that is like asking for a Magical Unicorn that sh*ts gold coins, so it's absolutely on the hardware designers to make sure the hardware can't self destruct...

And as also pointed out on that other thread, EVGA have had similar issues before with bad VRM design that resulted in 1000 series cards dying. They really need to up their game rather than just rely on the "I buy EVGA for the magically awesome warranty & customer service" crowd's goodwill not thinning out over time.

Last edited:
Embarrassing to see another article mindlessly repeating JayzTwoBraincells and his claims based on zero evidence whatsoever. There isn't a shred of evidence that any non-EVGA card is experiencing widespread failures whilst playing New World. His claims were based entirely on random emails sent to him, with zero proof attached or even a basic breakdown of what the problem these people supposedly experienced was.