• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultra-tiny Carbon Nanotubes Deliver Big on Headphone Audio Experience

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Sold out in minutes, shame none of them left a review, sheesh high end buyers

Prolly went to some UAE resident.

During the days actually 5 star Hotels were buyers of uber premium gear for their most expensive rooms. Considering how costly were those rooms, it paid off really fast. They had a lot of obscure high end gear. I had my hands on it in the past, as they tend to get old and not so shiny anymore, thus they often got sold for pennies.

So basically there is a niche for anything if you spin it correctly PR wise. If this has place on TPU? Definitely not.

Interesting article regarding the concept of active noise-cancelling in an MRI room, but this is so far beyond the point of diminishing returns for consumer audio that even most of the people spending $1000 on earbuds are going to balk at this!

Yeah, I own a pair of Shure 535 & 846 pro earphones.. Before I die I want to listen to a pair of electrostatic.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yeah, I own a pair of Shure 535 & 846 pro earphones.. Before I die I want to listen to a pair of electrostatic.
Go see if an audio store around you can demo some for you, although COVID does affect this somewhat in many countries even now. Maybe attend conventions/meetups if they are nearby and feasible. Meetups are a great way to try out various things that would be otherwise hard to try out, be it custom keyboards, high-end audio, or basically any hobby that people can get involved in different degrees of interest.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I would never buy these. Theyd be cool to try.

I've been trying high end headphones for years. The prices are crazy but I get why people buy them. They do tend to sound awesome. For some people thats worth it. I myself have about 1500 worth of headphones. Most expensive pair are the cheap Audeze... so like 800 bucks lol

I like different ones on different days. I do 4 hours of music per day, minimum. Given the time I put in, why not go primo?

I mean, were not talking cables and magic rocks here. High end headphones are luxury items. They arent typically produced in huge quantities, they arent always cheap to make. These arent consumer headphones.

The level of disdain people have for this always gets me a little, like its their money being spent. Too much emotional energy for something someone doesnt even engage with.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I think the real news here is the CNT tech. Practical application of its development and use could see it in our PC sooner than expected.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
People were spending $5k on GPUs to play video games at 1000hz two months ago... Why would anyone be upset about this?

Besides, unlike GPUs, these will only get cheaper. Planars used to cost thousands of dollars and now you can get a set for a couple hundred bucks. You can eyeroll at the price all you want, but people spend wayyyyyyy more than $5k on AV equipment. At least it doesn’t date itself in >5 years.

D

Deleted member 24505

People were spending $5k on GPUs to play video games at 1000hz two months ago... Why would anyone be upset about this?

Besides, unlike GPUs, these will only get cheaper. Planars used to cost thousands of dollars and now you can get a set for a couple hundred bucks. You can eyeroll at the price all you want, but people spend wayyyyyyy more than $5k on AV equipment. At least it doesn’t date itself in >5 years.

That's exactly why i said-These are for UBER HiFi nuts, not the average rich person who probably still does not spend this much on headphones

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro

I avoided them for a long time - expensive and all over the place in quality, but over that time, I've seen them get a lot better and a lot more affordable. I'm sitting next to a ~$200 pair of he5xx's that frankly sound pretty damned good. I used to have to add the 'for cheaper planars' part to that. No... even friggin hifiman is getting it pretty right. Those are good headphones. I would have killed for them 8 years ago. People would have flipped out. They have a few others progressing up that are quite good, too. Audeze would be another one that majorly stepped up. The LCD line is tight now... they've always made solid headphones, but the drivers, man... consistency has been an issue with them. Seeing that considerably less now. Still expensive, but most are reasonable for how solid and dynamic-sounding they are, and I'm pretty sure you could kill somebody with them and they'd still be playing music.

I think what happened was pretty simple. All of the people who made planars decades ago kinda fell off of it. It almost became forgotten tech to many. Dang, man... I remember people all over the internet wondering "WTF is an orthodynamic?" in 2010. It just wasn't something people even knew about. People used to know how to mass produce them exceptionally well in the 70s. You could buy generic OEM ortho drivers to toss into enclosures like is done with dynamics now. I don't know much about the history, but they lost out. I think they were just a little too challenging, compared to regular moving coil drivers.

The people who make planars probably learned what they could, but I think what we saw was all of these companies learning to make planars for the first time, when nobody else was making them or really even talking about them. Scouring the old tomes. Disassembling those old fostex pairs. It was all small time. Boutique stuff. Of course they were expensive. Nobody gave a shit about them yet. Consistency is the number one plague with making those sorts of drivers, though. The yields had to be terrible.... and even the ones that made it out could be quite unreliable... unlike those old fostex planars from the 70's or whatever that still work like champs. Over time, appeal went up, and everyone got better at working with the membranes, sorting out tonal weirdness, building enclosures.

To me, that's just adoption. I'd love to see estats join alongside the rise of the orthodynamic. That would be sweet. I mean, you have those Koss guys over there. Those seem to get some appeal. I think they're interesting. I always keep in my head to peel back for a pair of ESP950's if they come with an improved amp at a good price. That's easy electrostatic at or under 1k. Just doesn't come around much because there ain't much to go around and people who like them keep them forever and nobody else seems to want them. I don't get it. They sound cool.

Last edited:
System Name Lightning
Processor 4790K
Motherboard asrock z87 extreme 3
Cooling hwlabs black ice 20 fpi radiator, cpu mosfet blocks, MCW60 cpu block, full cover on 780Ti's
Memory corsair dominator platinum 2400C10, 32 giga, DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x780Ti
Storage intel S3700 400GB, samsung 850 pro 120 GB, a cheep intel MLC 120GB, an another even cheeper 120GB
Display(s) eizo foris fg2421
Case 700D
Audio Device(s) ESI Juli@
Power Supply seasonic platinum 1000
Mouse mx518
Software Lightning v2.0a
what Ferrum Master say is professional and experienced, I would like to add that besides the problems you will not like what they sounds like, the sound it will feel wrong to you, waveforms are not intended tobe heard as they are, the distortion of conventional speakers is absolutely unseparate part of the production process, nobody ever makes sound content movies or music vinyl or cd, for electrostatics

oh one other thing to add, electrostatics don't work on low frequencies, there is some danger that may cause short circuit, so there is a high pass filter at about 100 hz or so, so you will need a classic subwoofer with them

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
what Ferrum Master say is professional and experienced, I would like to add that besides the problems you will not like what they sounds like, the sound it will feel wrong to you, waveforms are not intended tobe heard as they are, the distortion of conventional speakers is absolutely unseparate part of the production process, nobody ever makes sound content movies or music vinyl or cd, for electrostatics

oh one other thing to add, electrostatics don't work on low frequencies, there is some danger that may cause short circuit, so there is a high pass filter at about 100 hz or so, so you will need a classic subwoofer with them
I've enjoyed the presentation of them every chance I've gotten. I don't care that stuff is or isn't mixed for whatever I'm using - I really don't see a meaningful way for anyone to reasonably do that, so I just worry about if it sounds good to me. Electrostatics tend to have this almost ethereal quality, this fineness that just is not remotely like anything else. I can get things out of that. I can enjoy the same music in an entirely different way. It's definitely not what I would call 'natural' and more like 'so real that it slips into unreality'. But not nessesarily uncanny. It's not jarring to me. Takes a minute or two and then normal headphones sound weird to me, and the electrostatics sound right.

Death of the author and all of that. Once you put your production, your work, out there for people to consume... those people will pretty much treat it as suits them. This always has to be the understanding, the expectation of the producer, that he cannot account for everyone's listening conditions. They'll be on their own with it. That doesn't make it necessarily wrong. This does not mean disregard all expertise, but also do not disregard your expertise in your own experience... within reason. Because there are magic rocks out there for people who trust their experience a little too much too. But basically, if the guys in the studio did it this way, but you like it better that way, do it that way! Like, why ever would you choose the option you like less? I need for there to be a better reason than authorial intent here, it's not enough. It doesn't make any sense, from an appreciation standpoint. You lose enjoyment of the art to that in too many cases. There's plenty of room for preference in all of this. Studio technicians have as many preferences as the musicians they record. It doesn't mean that the audience will always agree with their sensibilities. That's a total coin toss.

I mean, there are piles of crap mixes out there that will sound good on the 'wrong' gear and bad on everything normal. Again, how is one to reasonably account for the whole range of sensibilities and techniques of every different producer across genres and eras? That just sounds like an utterly psychotic preposition to me. Don't wanna be harsh but it actually makes me laugh to think about it, just on the amatuer side, learning how different producers do it... and more importantly, what they go for and why. So many schools of thought and different ears intertwining. I would never wish to go down that rabbit hole. I could already be enjoying the music.

Of course low frequency extension is out, that's the price you pay for the distortion characteristics and mid-high frequency behavior that give them their characteristic sound. They are also more delicate. Don't be a dum dum and EQ the bass up 6db. Care for them. Lets also not pretend like they are squeaky clean. You're not getting 'pure' sound out of them any more than anything else. It's really all flavors with headphones. It's just not normally how we hear things. Right from the get go you've got drivers strapped right to your ears, messing with the interactions that usually help us make sense of things. The whole experiential package is a totally different construct from speakers, which are also quite different from live sound.

I'll put it this way... all headphones sound like headphones to me. At no point do any of them transcend that. That is to say coloration of all manner is a given. It's just a matter of the compromises taken in the design. The physics are what they are.

That's just me, maybe I'm just more easygoing with things. It's all just a wider range of experiences with music to me at the end of the day. I value that a lot. It's cliche but music really is my drug. My brain doesn't work like most peoples. They even checked! Music does a lot for me in that regard. I don't see why this stuff has to be this complicated... have this many rules. You can just enjoy it.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Why is it that people look at a press release for a product clearly not marketed to them and say some variations of "I wouldn't buy this." This isn't even a press release and people are still complaining that a product not marketed to them is too expensive. That isn't even what this is about.

This is a wonderful post. I enjoyed reading about this technology. It was new to me and interesting. Please do more of these.

Rather than opening with a price, don't post a price at all. Maybe then they won't treat it like a sales pitch.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Why is it that people look at a press release for a product clearly not marketed to them and say some variations of "I wouldn't buy this." This isn't even a press release and people are still complaining that a product not marketed to them is too expensive. That isn't even what this is about.

This is a wonderful post. I enjoyed reading about this technology. It was new to me and interesting. Please do more of these.

Rather than opening with a price, don't post a price at all. Maybe then they won't treat it like a sales pitch.
Clearly the multiple times I mentioned this wasn't a product review was insufficient for some, but at least everyone read to the end where the price is mentioned. I think the discussion is always interesting, and so far it's been fun to read everyone's thoughts.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Should have opened with $4500.

no, if these can compete with or even beat STAX electrostatic high end setups, this actually will be considered cheap in the headphone world.

depending what amp/dac they are best paired with, but I am guessing, they won't be nearly as expensive as electrostat high end amp/dac in price to compete.

These are for the maybe 1% that could afford them, let alone actually would pay this much. So i agree with Lex. The cost of these is beyond a high end PC. These are for UBER HiFi nuts, not the average rich person who probably still does not spend this much on headphones

Sold out in minutes, shame none of them left a review, sheesh high end buyers

It's more like 1% ultra wealthy who pretend they care, then there is the 20% upper middle class pull ladder up behind them hire only friends and family, then there is 10% shrunken middle class and 69% poor or struggling lower middle class. my family used to be middle class before 2008 economic crisis. my dad's retirement was destroyed and frozen and never unfrozen even after the economy recovered. he currently works 7 days a week, while the people who caused the 2008 economic crisis are still enjoying their mercede's and bmw's etc etc. neat world huh?

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
While there's a fair number of those who are rich and can easily afford it, there's got to be a fair number of people who are just foolish with money..
There also is a number of people who have good hearing and care obsessively about audio quality - not the 1000$ cable douchebag but rather "let's get rid of the furniture and bring down this wall to give Martin Logans some more space. Also some sound treatment for the room would be nice" type. And are willing to cut back on optional expenses like food for some time to get a pair of, say, ADX5000 for myself and LCD-4 for my wife who played the cello since she was seven and until she realized that there is infinitely more money in ruining people's lives as a corporate auditor.
Give me an even better version of the ADX5000s and I will sell my car and walk 15km to work every day just to buy them. It's a good way to never get fat and I don't like driving anyway.

System Name Jamesbondosaurus
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75ghz PBO
Motherboard MSI B550i MPG Gaming Edge MAX Wifi
Cooling Arctic Esport Duo White / Black
Memory Patriot Viper Steel @ 3733 C16
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070
Storage 120GB PNY CS900. 1TB Crucial BX500. 1TB WD Blue M.2. 8TB WD Red HDD.
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Phanteks P200A PE
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III
Mouse G305
Keyboard Some cheap mechanical keeb
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Like 5 FPS if I play Dying Light 2 at 8K.
So nothing for any mere mortal to get hyped up about as it is for those with almost 5k in pocket change.

System Name Boris
Processor C2D Q6600 @ 3.6ghz 24/7 H20
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Cooling 2x240mm + 1x120mm + 1x360mm rads one loop.
Memory 4gb Corsair XMS2 6400 @ 1100mhz
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS HD4870 XFire H20
Storage 2x320gb Seagates
Display(s) 2 x 22" AOC + 1 x 24" AOC extended desktop
Case Boris
Audio Device(s) X-Fi xtreme music
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W
Software Vista x64
Benchmark Scores 1 Penis push up, then it broke.
Electrostats? Not again... is it 1950ties again?

If read this, and thought it really is something new... it has still has the all same cons and pros as any ribbon speaker.

I would like to remind all, that the production and mixing is set a norm with reference speakers, well usually, as these days even sound engineers are deaf. Using this will not contribute to better musical experience, but vice versa reveal any mixing ugliness in the spectrum past 1KHz, that with these will be inheritably attenuated. It will not be what it was meant by the artist or the sound engineer for you to be delivered, unless your a masochist. It will not be ones cup of tea for 99% of population, even less for those willing to spend the money.

Electrostats are not the holy grail. The ugly side. They attract dust, particles, moisture, thus they deteriorate fast, get holes in it... carbon or not, high voltage and a particle will damage it... they are fragile and not robust. Pairing with random amplifier will definitely damage them, they are highly capricious.

A tube amp in modern days? It is only for enthusiasts and learning. It is a dead horse. You cannot obtain the parts that were made during early cold war. The leftovers or Russian counterparts do not have the plate(anode) material purity isn't there, military ain't using them anymore, thus no money pours in like there is no tomorrow to make a better performing tube and get a contract. If you were lucky and compared, you simply will calm down and not pursue it anymore. It is a thing of past. With exception for guitar amps, where distortion is the main goal and the more distortion the merrier.
Isn't this similar to calling batteries and electric motors a thing of the early 1900s?

Why even bother making electric cars, basically the same right? /s

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Isn't this similar to calling batteries and electric motors a thing of the early 1900s?

Why even bother making electric cars, basically the same right? /s

No it is totally is not what I meant. Especially from the consumer perspective. You did not get the idea.

You can make cars with 5 wheels too if you wish, and spin it as the next great thing. The core tech is same. If look at the fundamental problems with your battery and motor, the core problems are the still the same as in 1900. Nobody cancelled physics.

All we see here is just PR brainwash. You took the bait? Willing to invest? Good.

But it ain't something special as it is marketed to be.

There also is a number of people who have good hearing and care obsessively about audio quality - not the 1000$ cable douchebag but rather "let's get rid of the furniture and bring down this wall to give Martin Logans some more space. Also some sound treatment for the room would be nice" type. And are willing to cut back on optional expenses like food for some time to get a pair of, say, ADX5000 for myself and LCD-4 for my wife who played the cello since she was seven and until she realized that there is infinitely more money in ruining people's lives as a corporate auditor.
Give me an even better version of the ADX5000s and I will sell my car and walk 15km to work every day just to buy them. It's a good way to never get fat and I don't like driving anyway.
The defense rests your honor..

D

Deleted member 24505

Yup as i said UBER HiFi nuts with good hearing only, nice of you to throw the Martin Logan name in there too, though most mere peasants would not of heard of the name.