• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Prepares to Deliver Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing Technology for Improved Visuals, Coming first to The Elder Scrolls Online

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Some time ago, NVIDIA launched its Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) technology to deliver AI-enhanced upscaling images to your favorite AAA titles. It uses proprietary algorithms developed by NVIDIA and relies on the computational power of Tensor cores found in GeForce graphics cards. In the early days of DLSS, NVIDIA talked about an additional technology called DLSS2X, which was supposed to be based on the same underlying techniques as DLSS, however, just to do image sharpening and not any upscaling. That technology got its official name today: Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing or DLAA shortly.

DLAA uses technology similar to DLSS, and it aims to bring NVIDIA's image-sharpening tech to video games. It aims to use the Tensor cores found in GeForce graphics cards, and provide much better visual quality, without sacrificing the performance, as it runs on dedicated cores. It is said that the technology will be offered alongside DLSS and other additional anti-aliasing technologies in in-game settings. The first game to support it is The Elder Scrolls Online, which now has it in the public beta test server, and will be available to the general public later on.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Isn't DLSS already had AA effects built-in ?
Why doing the same thing twice ?

Or it is a cut down version of DLSS that focus on edges only so it is way easier to implement ?

Finally, after 3 years they finally released it. Better late than never. Hopefully they implement it in every game that has DLSS. As someone who didn't jump on the 4K bandwagon this is the most exciting part of DLSS and I was hyped for it when they revealed it ages ago. I've been doing it myself with a combination of DXR & DLSS but I assume a native solution is going to work better.

I'm not really a fan of upscaling as you're basically downgrading a ton of settings that scale with internal res and while it isn't a problem at 4K as the internal res is high enough, even when upscaling, it's certainly noticeable at lower resolutions, especially the RT effects. No upscaling technique can upcale effects so you're always stuck with low res effects if you use it.

Isn't DLSS already had AA effects built-in ?
Why doing the same thing twice ?

Or it is a cut down version of DLSS that focus on edges only so it is way easier to implement ?
If it works like they initially announced it, it's just DLSS with a renderscale of 100% or higher.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Very interested to see this in action with my own eyes, the excellent AA component to DLSS as a standalone option on native res rendering when you do not need the performance boost. I wonder what parts of the DLSS pipeline are intact and how the fine details will be.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
If it works like they initially announced it, it's just DLSS with a renderscale of 100% or higher.

does this mean DLSS 2.0 will make more sense for 1080p gamers want to render higher? currently DLSS 2.0 only makes sense for 1440p and 4k gamers from what I understand. so this tech will make it worthwhile for 1080p wanting to scale up higher rez's?

@nguyen can you explain. its getting confusing as **** LOL

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
But how many games supports DLSS? I only have 2 games (Metro Exodus and Chernobylite) out of maybe 50 games.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Still tied to Nvidia-only Tensor core support, still just as useless for long term implementation.

Good steps, zero strides. Still going to be interesting how this will pan out beyond the initial wave of support.

But how many games supports DLSS? I only have 2 games (Metro Exodus and Chernobylite) out of maybe 50 games.

This. We've been here a dozen times before. Nothing proprietary lasts longer than a few generations beyond its introduction. Even Gsync, which doesn't even require dev support, didn't last and got effectively replaced by something universal.

The real thing is going to happen when all three GPU families have 'cores' to do the work and can somehow share in the implementation/support.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
With the additions in the latest driver, 100+
does this mean DLSS 2.0 will make more sense for 1080p gamers want to render higher? currently DLSS 2.0 only makes sense for 1440p and 4k gamers from what I understand. so this tech will make it worthwhile for 1080p wanting to scale up higher rez's?
They seem to be doing the reasonable thing and not call this DLSS. The initial DLSS 2X name for this application did not make all that much sense and DLAA seems a good enough compromise. While the underlying technology is still the same, the application is different. DLAA does antialiasing, no upscaling here, runs on same native resolution and the only purpose is smoothing the edges (which, based on DLSS + DSR should get a pretty good result).

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11

@nguyen can you explain. its getting confusing as **** LOL

Well you can try DSR 2.25x on your 1080p screen and see that anti-aliasing is better resolved, DLAA is doing the same thing here, but has lower overhead (10%FPS vs 50%FPS or more with DSR).

With TAA being so dominant in today AAA games, DLAA can easily replace TAA because it's better and reduce the annoying flicker you can see in games, like the new Deathloop

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I must say i was an AMD man, then they completely destroyed my trust with the 5700xt. Honestly i was never even considering changing teams because of the freesync vs gsync thing. Now i'm completely sold on the green teams advantages, DLSS is amazing, keep them coming

AFAIK, if you want gsync ultimate then you still need a fully certified display.

I recently wanted to replace my Asus MG278Q 144 Hz gsync compatible (listed as compatible on nvidia's website) with an iiyama G-Master Red Eagle GB2770QSU-B1 27" WQHD IPS FreeSync Premium Pro; however, the monitor is not listed on nvidia's site as gsync compatible and I did not manage to find (in me allbeit limited research) anyone who had got the monitor to work with gsync. Additionally, you cannot use a gsync compatible display with HDR, you need a fully certified screen to do that.

It should be an interesting piece of tech, even if its main purpose turns out to be poking the competition into doing something similar.

Even if we think of DLSS and Gsync as proprietry/locked down technologies; I doubt AMD freesync/FSR would exist if the nvidia options did not (certainly their time to market would have been considerably longer). Whether you use it or not, where would hardware accelerated raytracing be without nvidia?

As an obervation, nvidia seem to always be setting the standard and then others follow. Maybe this scenario will improve with Intel entering the game?

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Well you can try DSR 2.25x on your 1080p screen and see that anti-aliasing is better resolved, DLAA is doing the same thing here, but has lower overhead (10%FPS vs 50%FPS or more with DSR).

With TAA being so dominant in today AAA games, DLAA can easily replace TAA because it's better and reduce the annoying flicker you can see in games, like the new Deathloop
TAA is a bit of an interesting case as the implementation has similarities to DLSS with the use of temporal information and overall similar source material. The results of TAA when it comes to antialiasing is a mixed bag though, it tends to blur the image considerably.

FXAA, MLAA and other postprocessing AA methods are usually notably worse than better methods like MSAA that have fallen out of favor due to excessive performance hit in today's rendering methods. If DLAA can slot in between in terms of performance hit with quality that is similar or better than MSAA, it will do just fine.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
AFAIK, if you want gsync ultimate then you still need a fully certified display.

I recently wanted to replace my Asus MG278Q 144 Hz gsync compatible (listed as compatible on nvidia's website) with an iiyama G-Master Red Eagle GB2770QSU-B1 27" WQHD IPS FreeSync Premium Pro; however, the monitor is not listed on nvidia's site as gsync compatible and I did not manage to find (in me allbeit limited research) anyone who had got the monitor to work with gsync. Additionally, you cannot use a gsync compatible display with HDR, you need a fully certified screen to do that.

It should be an interesting piece of tech, even if its main purpose turns out to be poking the competition into doing something similar.

Even if we think of DLSS and Gsync as proprietry/locked down technologies; I doubt AMD freesync/FSR would exist if the nvidia options did not (certainly their time to market would have been considerably longer). As an obervation, nvidia seem to always be setting the standard and then others follow. Maybe this scenario will improve with Intel entering the game?

Mine is not certified and works great. Try and search for some review/feedback.
I have no interest in HDR, for now anyway.

TAA is a bit of an interesting case as the implementation has similarities to DLSS with the use of temporal information and overall similar source material. The results of TAA when it comes to antialiasing is a mixed bag though, it tends to blur the image considerably.

FXAA, MLAA and other postprocessing AA methods are usually notably worse than better methods like MSAA that have fallen out of favor due to excessive performance hit in today's rendering methods. If DLAA can slot in between in terms of performance hit with quality that is similar or better than MSAA, it will do just fine.
Aliasing is more than just jaggies though. FXAA, MLAA and honestly most AA methods don't do anything for pixel crawling, shader aliasing, shimmering, etc. They only adress jaggies and in current games they're just bad AA options.

Back in the day graphics were simple with almost no foliage & geometry. You could get away with not running a temporal AA method but nowadays that's just not really an option. You're left with either TAA, downsampling or a supersampling based AA method like SGSSAA.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
you cannot use a gsync compatible display with HDR,
HDR works just fine on my gsync compatible monitor with games that support it (NMS to name one)

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
more proprietary brand-based tech segregation
boooooooo

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
The cheapest new card to use that tech costs 460 Euros atm in Germany. RTX 2060 6GB, it was launched in January of 2019

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The problem with anything from Nvidia that starts with DL means that by default it won't work.

DLSS, DLAA - nonfunctional and unsupported until a title has been 'compiled' or whatever it is they do back at Nvidia by throwing it at their AI deep-learning supercomputer to train it on that game.

At launch, when a game is most popular and has the lowest performance is when DLSS and DLAA are most needed, and the very nature of requiring time for the game to get popular enough for Nvidia to take notice, feed it into Deep Thought or whatever, and then have it spit out a profile that sits and waits until the next bi-monthly game-ready driver to come around is TOO DAMNED SLOW. People have likely moved onto a newer title by then.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The problem with anything from Nvidia that starts with DL means that by default it won't work.

DLSS, DLAA - nonfunctional and unsupported until a title has been 'compiled' or whatever it is they do back at Nvidia by throwing it at their AI deep-learning supercomputer to train it on that game.

At launch, when a game is most popular and has the lowest performance is when DLSS and DLAA are most needed, and the very nature of requiring time for the game to get popular enough for Nvidia to take notice, feed it into Deep Thought or whatever, and then have it spit out a profile that sits and waits until the next bi-monthly game-ready driver to come around is TOO DAMNED SLOW. People have likely moved onto a newer title by then.

The devs can implement DLSS, they don't need nvidia to do it, also 2.0 changed the way it works, there's no longer such a dependency on the AI supercomputers at nvidia headquarters. That's what i understood anyway,

You'll probably have launch games with DLSS that are nvidia branded and not on the ones that are AMD branded. The bi mounthly thing you mention is for older titles.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
I must say i was an AMD man, then they completely destroyed my trust with the 5700xt. Honestly i was never even considering changing teams because of the freesync vs gsync thing. Now i'm completely sold on the green teams advantages, DLSS is amazing, keep them coming

The marketing of propiteary DLSS functions which can only be implemented by using tensor cores, to be countered via an open source FSR which works on any modern graphics card by any OEM. Same thing applies to GSync / Freesync. Before you go flaming, oh you're just an AMD fanboy, I've owned (2x) 3090 and I own a GSync monitor.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
The marketing of propiteary DLSS functions which can only be implemented by using tensor cores, to be countered via an open source FSR which works on any modern graphics card by any OEM. Same thing applies to GSync / Freesync. Before you go flaming, oh you're just an AMD fanboy, I've owned (2x) 3090 and I own a GSync monitor.

Yeah sure flipping those 3090s for profits then complain :rolleyes: .
Whatever suit your narrative man, I hope those 6900XT earn you money too

But of course we are talking about gaming here, where Nvidia techs are much much more interesting than some Lanczos derivative

Processor R5 5600X
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
FSR is markedly inferior. It might get a 2.0 but improvements there are quite likely to follow what DLSS and XeSS are currently doing.
Wide support/adoption is a quality in itself but visually, there is a difference.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
FSR is markedly inferior. It might get a 2.0 but improvements there are quite likely to follow what DLSS and XeSS are currently doing.
Wide support/adoption is a quality in itself but visually, there is a difference.

FSR 1.0 can even reduce the Image Quality below the Internal resolution it's running at, for example 4K FSR Quality looks worse than just Upscaled 1440p.

Here is what Computerbase.de described FSR in Deathloop
All in all, even FSR on "Ultra Quality" looks clearly worse in Ultra HD than the native resolution - and that is still the best-case scenario. Even in comparison with a native resolution with the same number of pixels (Ultra HD + FSR on “Quality” versus WQHD), FSR simply doesn't want to look better, the opposite is actually the case. The lower quality levels only look worse. This also applies to FSR in lower resolutions.

So yeah, just free crap no one use.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
The problem with DLSS is....like so many projects from big N, just temporary, something will come along that works on everything, some global tech that will just replace it.
And then you will be looking back at those silly DLSS games from 10 years ago which no current gpu actually supports anymore.