• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kubuntu Focus Team Announces the 3rd Gen M2 Linux Mobile Workstation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Kubuntu Focus Team announces the availability of the third-generation M2 Linux mobile workstation with multiple performance enhancements. RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 models are in stock now. RTX 3060 models can be reserved now and ship in the first week of November. The thin-and-light M2 laptop is a superb choice for anyone looking for the best out-of-the-box Linux experience with the most powerful mobile hardware. Customers include ML scientists, developers, and creators. Improvements to the third generation include:
  • Cooler and faster Intel 11th generation Core i7-11800H. Geekbench scores improve 19 and 29%.
  • Double the iGPU performance with Intel Iris Xe 32EU Graphics.
  • Increased RAM speed from 2933 to 3200 MHz, up to 64 GB dual-channel.
  • BIOS switchable USB-C GPU output.
  • Upgrade from Thunderbolt 3 to version 4.

The GPU choices include the NVIDIA RTX 3060, 3070, or 3080 with up to 16 GB of VRAM. Customers can skip the dongles with plenty of high-speed ports and the ability to drive 3 external 4K displays with standard cables. Learn more on the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Fwiw Kubuntu is probably the worst KDE distro. Fortunately, it takes about 30 minutes to replace it (including the time to download the ISO over a decent connection(.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Bug...

I agree with you completely. Why Kubuntu is concentrating on a laptop when their own OS needs serious attention is beyond me...as with all things Ubuntu(and Mozilla)...I can no longer understand what these people are attempting to accomplish.

In the last six months I've tested every single KDE distro out there in the wilds and the only four I would consider using are from Manjaro, Debian, Solus, and OpenSUSE.

I ranked them for speed, efficiency, compatibility, and stability.

I'm personally using Manjaro as my daily driver. My new laptop(once it's repaired) will be running Debian KDE.

The Steam Deck, when it arrives....well everyone knows what it will be running.

:),

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
There so many Linux operating systems

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Bug...

I agree with you completely. Why Kubuntu is concentrating on a laptop when their own OS needs serious attention is beyond me...as with all things Ubuntu(and Mozilla)...I can no longer understand what these people are attempting to accomplish.

In the last six months I've tested every single KDE distro out there in the wilds and the only four I would consider using are from Manjaro, Debian, Solus, and OpenSUSE.

I'm personally using Manjaro as my daily driver. My new laptop(once it's repaired) will be running Debian KDE.

Liquid Cool
I'm running KDE on top of Arch, but the difference to Manjaro is mostly nil.
I think KDE Neon is also worth a nod. If you're after stability.

But again, Kubuntu is a mess. Ancient Qt, resource hog... I mean, it's usable, but when you look elsewhere, the difference becomes clear.

ratajs

Bug...

Liquid Cool
I prefer Ubuntu‐based distros for the PPA support, I want my Inkscape installation to update automatically (albeit late), but FlatPak or Snap releases sometimes have troubles theming, I encountered this mainly in LibreOffice (however, I don’t use LibreOffice or Scribus PPAs for their requirements). I personally use KDE Neon.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I prefer Ubuntu‐based distros for the PPA support, I want my Inkscape installation to update automatically (albeit late), but FlatPak or Snap releases sometimes have troubles theming, I encountered this mainly in LibreOffice (however, I don’t use LibreOffice or Scribus PPAs for their requirements). I personally use KDE Neon.
Ubuntu (and friends) are more about stability. Older packages, but patched up and stable. PPAs are nice, but they fly in the face of stability. In the sense that if you actually need stability, PPAs offer no guarantee. IME, PPAs work fine, I only moved on because I needed too many of them.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Bug...

I'm not a fan of snaps and flatpaks, that is why KDE Neon isn't on my list. They're pushing them on users so hard, I don't believe a new person to KDE could find their way around them. I considered my choices carefully. I think all four could serve as a daily driver for anyone interested in a KDE desktop experience.

My actual favorite...is hard to pick. I like all 4 for different reasons. Although, it also depends on the hardware I'm running and what I'm intending to do with said hardware. For me, Manjaro and Solus(especially for speed/gaming) are the standouts, but would probably recommend OpenSUSE for a business platform. While debian is just an all around solid choice. Not the best in anything, but very stable.

The specific reasons I use manjaro as my daily driver are: Access to the AUR, being able to manually turn on/off snaps/flatpaks, very consistent speed and overall stability. It's been rock solid since day one. I have zero complaints.

In closing....I wanted to personally thank btarunr for posting an article involving ANYTHING to do with linux. I almost fell out of my chair when I was scrolling down the page and saw an article about a linux mobile workstation.

Very appreciative sir. Thank you for making my day.

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
Reactions: bug
System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
I was daily driving Kubuntu for years, and still generally install it on machines where I need Linux with a GUI.

Because I'd want to keep pace with later versions of the KDE Platform (their release schedules are generally off with the timing of the distro release), I'd just apply the Kubuntu Backports PPA and I'd receive the latest version. It always worked pretty well for me having the latest Ubuntu base with all the familiarity I had with using Mint and stock Ubuntu from years prior, as well as having the latest KDE release on top. It's a great platform IMO.

To each their own though.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I was daily driving Kubuntu for years, and still generally install it on machines where I need Linux with a GUI.

Because I'd want to keep pace with later versions of the KDE Platform (their release schedules are generally off with the timing of the distro release), I'd just apply the Kubuntu Backports PPA and I'd receive the latest version. It always worked pretty well for me having the latest Ubuntu base with all the familiarity I had with using Mint and stock Ubuntu from years prior, as well as having the latest KDE release on top. It's a great platform IMO.

To each their own though.
Like I said, only after you install Neon can you see how much junk Kubuntu lugs around (iirc, RAM after startup went from ~900 to ~500MB). And while Kubuntu Backports will give you the latest KDE, it won't give you the latest Qt, which must also be kept up to date. The downside is that while Neon fixes cruft and Qt, it sticks to Ubuntu LTS releases, so other packages are even older.

It's like you said, to each their own. In my case, needing up-to-date KDE, Qt and a bunch of other stuff, the writing was on the wall: rolling release distro.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
@bug for you Arch is definitely the way to go then. Back around 2015 I ran it exclusively on my system with KDE also. Setting my system up using Arch was an awesome way to learn how everything plugs together and works. Over the course of the year I learned more about Linux that I ever had in the years prior running Ubuntu systems. For one reason or another though I slipped back to Ubuntu and friends after I just needed to install something and get on with my work.

I guess I never really noticed Kubuntu using more resources than other comparable distos given my systems have always had more than enough RAM so I haven’t paid any attention to it. Out of curiosity I will compare the latest Kubuntu and Neon in separate VM’s to see what Kubuntu is loading extra in the background.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
@bug for you Arch is definitely the way to go then. Back around 2015 I ran it exclusively on my system with KDE also. Setting my system up using Arch was an awesome way to learn how everything plugs together and works. Over the course of the year I learned more about Linux that I ever had in the years prior running Ubuntu systems. For one reason or another though I slipped back to Ubuntu and friends after I just needed to install something and get on with my work.
Pretty much my experience as well. Only Arch gained a basic installer in the meantime, installing it is supposedly much easier now. I wouldn't know, this thing doesn't seem to need reinstalling ;)
I guess I never really noticed Kubuntu using more resources than other comparable distos given my systems have always had more than enough RAM so I haven’t paid any attention to it. Out of curiosity I will compare the latest Kubuntu and Neon in separate VM’s to see what Kubuntu is loading extra in the background.
See whether you can take a look at Neon's build scripts, you may spot there what they are removing/deactivating. Iirc, it was about stuff Ubuntu needed for running Mir and Unity, that Kubuntu didn't remove properly.
RAM wasn't an issue for me either, but what I immediately noticed was the difference in startup time.