• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Prepares 7nm "Renoir X" Processors Lacking Integrated Graphics, and "Vermeer S"

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD apparently finds itself with quite a bit of undigested 7 nm "Renoir" silicon, which it plans to repackage as Socket AM4 processors, reports VideoCardz, citing sources on ChipHell forums. The most interesting aspect of this leak is that the silicon variant, codenamed "Renoir X," comes with a disabled iGPU. This is hence a case of AMD harvesting enough "Renoir" dies with faulty iGPU components, to sell them off as desktop processors. It is also learned that these chips don't feature all of the 8 "Zen 2" CPU cores present on the silicon, but rather AMD is looking to carve out entry-level SKUs, such as the Ryzen 3 or Athlon. The company lacks Athlon desktop SKUs based on "Zen 2" or later, although traditionally the company sought to include some basic iGPU solution with its Athlon SKUs.

In related news, the source reports that AMD will refresh its Ryzen desktop processor family with the new "Vermeer S" Ryzen processors. Built on the existing Socket AM4 package, these use AMD's "Zen 3" CCDs that feature 3D Vertical Cache (3DV Cache), much like the recently announced EPYC "Milan X" server processors. AMD claimed that the 3DV Cache technology has a significant performance uplift on performance akin to a generational update. These could be the company's first response to Intel Core "Alder Lake," although since they're based on the older AM4 platform, could only feature DDR4 and PCIe Gen 4. Much like the Ryzen 3000XT series, these appear to be a stopgap product lineup, with AMD targeting late-Q2/early-Q3 for next-generation "Raphael" Socket AM5 processors based on the "Zen 4" architecture, with DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
They should cancel Vermeer S. The market doesn't need it..
How so, or do you mean you don't because the many with a related platform are quite interested in it.

Should they just let Intel keep that performance crown, no.

ARF

How so, or do you mean you don't because the many with a related platform are quite interested in it.

Should they just let Intel keep that performance crown, no.

The problem with Vermeer S is that it's a dead end and the next generation Raphael will be launched fairly soon..

AMD has no problem in losing the "performance crown" because it's not important at all, unless you are willing to wave your willie...

The price of the products is the deciding factor.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
The problem with Vermeer S is that it's a dead end and the next generation Raphael will be launched fairly soon..

AMD has no problem in losing the "performance crown" because it's not important at all, unless you are willing to wave your willie...

I think if the average added performance gain for games comes in only at 5% on average, it may very well be a bit of a waste.

However, if it comes in at 10-15% average(AMD claims up to 15%), it will be close enough in parity to Alder Lake CPU's to be a viable alternative, and a great upgrade for anyone that already has an older generation AMD CPU with an X470/B450/X570/B550, assuming they can find a GPU to make the CPU the limiting factor.

SL2

However, if it comes in at 10-15% average(AMD claims up to 15%), it will be close enough in parity to Alder Lake CPU's to be a viable alternative, and a great upgrade for anyone that already has an older generation AMD CPU with an X470/B450/X570/B550, assuming they can find a GPU to make the CPU the limiting factor.
I agree.
Upgrading the CPU is a much cheaper solution than CPU + new board + DDR5. DDR5 is expensive and judging by the Intel reviews they're overpriced most of the time, without adding any performance uplifts.
Even buying a Vermeer S + board + RAM will be cheaper than the AM5 option.

ARF

I agree.
Upgrading the CPU is a much cheaper solution than CPU + new board + DDR5. DDR5 is expensive and judging by the Intel reviews they're overpriced most of the time, without adding any performance uplifts.
Even buying a Vermeer S + board + RAM will be cheaper than the AM5 option.

No..

You simply wait Raphael for its June-September launch.

Now is a very bad timing for a new PC..

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I'm interested in Vermeer S. I have several AM4 rigs running a 5800X, a couple 1600 AFs, and a 3200G. If it's good I'd buy it for the main gaming rig and hand the old 5800X down the line to get rid if the 3200G. Either way I'm getting rid of the 3200G, so if Vermeer S is weak, then 5600G is going into my lineup of work/gaming machines. I did sell my 3600 to a friend and re-installed a 1600 AF which overclocks like crazy. So I imagine people like me with lots of AM4 boards and DDR4 on hand aren't looking to change platforms yet.

SL2

No..

It's a matter of budget, that's all I wanted to say. DDR5 is overpriced, end of story. Also, don't expect AM5 boards to carry the same price tags as the older counterparts.

For those who won't upgrade and have the money, AM5 is probably a better choice.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

Every other generation of Intel chip is then also a dead end, they sell though.

The deciding factor is in the buyers mind not yours.

Using the platform I have for a further two years might be my motivation for going 3800X to 6950X v3D or whatever, then again I await reviews and could decide to hold out for Am5 as you Imply but I am not everyone either.

ARF

I'm interested in Vermeer S. I have several AM4 rigs running a 5800X, a couple 1600 AFs, and a 3200G. If it's good I'd buy it for the main gaming rig and hand the old 5800X down the line to get rid if the 3200G. Either way I'm getting rid of the 3200G, so if Vermeer S is weak, then 5600G is going into my lineup of work/gaming machines. I did sell my 3600 to a friend and re-installed a 1600 AF which overclocks like crazy. So I imagine people like me with lots of AM4 boards and DDR4 on hand aren't looking to change platforms yet.

Abandon the platform, you don't invest in it because it doesn't make any sense to do so. Your current CPUs are fine enough.

Next big thing will come with AM5.

You know what?! A Fun fact: the Ryzen 9 5950X scores 9000 points more in PassMark than the Core i9-12900K :D
PassMark - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)
PassMark - Intel Core i9-12900K - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Abandon the platform, you don't invest in it because it doesn't make any sense to do so. Your current CPUs are fine enough.

You know what?! A Fun fact: the Ryzen 9 5950X scores 9000 points more in PassMark than the Core i9-12900K :D
PassMark - Intel Core i9-12900K - Price performance comparison (cpubenchmark.net)
Oh , so you also know what everyone else is doing with there pc and processing power?!.

Shame.

And your fun fact means what?, to anything in this thread?!.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Every other generation of Intel chip is then also a dead end, they sell though.

The deciding factor is in the buyers mind not yours.

Using the platform I have for a further two years might be my motivation for going 3800X to 6950X v3D or whatever, then again I await reviews and could decide to hold out for Am5 as you Imply but I am not everyone either.
To most buyers of intel, EG non enthusiasts, the board and CPu combo will outlive the platform's usefulness. By the time the CPU is finally obsolete enough it warrants an upgrade, you are talking 4-5 years later, where a slew of new features and updates are available.

Like who in their right mind would want to put a coffee or comet lake CPU on, say, an ivy bridge motherboard limited to DDR3 and SATA III interfaces? For those who bought into coffee lake (like myself) there is nothing Z490 and Z590 do that z390 didnt, outside of PCIE 4.0 and 5.0, which right now still dont matter, in another 4-5 years when games really take advantage of that speed (the xbox series x and s is still pcie 3.0 unless you compress everything) the z390 chipset will be nearing a decade old. There's also no guarantee that you'll get the full lifespan of a CPU series out of a single mobo (see X370/B350/a320 users and ryzen 3000, 5000, and the upcoming 6000? series, where somefeatures are not available and for the latter two gens support is spotty at best done with incomplete beta AGESA code because AMD wont officially support them).

Future CPU support is good and all, but I'd prefer a platform that you buy once and run for a decade without having to upgrade. My 3570k lasted me 7 years, and I only upgraded to get NVMe boot, a poor decision on my part. I easily could have gotten 2 more years out of it, as the GPU was the bottleneck at the time, and bought into alder lake's 12th gen i5 with DDR4 early next year instead.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
To most buyers of intel, EG non enthusiasts, the board and CPu combo will outlive the platform's usefulness. By the time the CPU is finally obsolete enough it warrants an upgrade, you are talking 4-5 years later, where a slew of new features and updates are available.

Like who in their right mind would want to put a coffee or comet lake CPU on, say, an ivy bridge motherboard limited to DDR3 and SATA III interfaces? For those who bought into coffee lake (like myself) there is nothing Z490 and Z590 do that z390 didnt, outside of PCIE 4.0 and 5.0, which right now still dont matter, in another 4-5 years when games really take advantage of that speed (the xbox series x and s is still pcie 3.0 unless you compress everything) the z390 chipset will be nearing a decade old. There's also no guarantee that you'll get the full lifespan of a CPU series out of a single mobo (see X370/B350/a320 users and ryzen 3000, 5000, and the upcoming 6000? series, where somefeatures are not available and for the latter two gens support is spotty at best done with incomplete beta AGESA code because AMD wont officially support them).

Future CPU support is good and all, but I'd prefer a platform that you buy once and run for a decade without having to upgrade. My 3570k lasted me 7 years, and I only upgraded to get NVMe boot, a poor decision on my part. I easily could have gotten 2 more years out of it, as the GPU was the bottleneck at the time, and bought into alder lake's 12th gen i5 with DDR4 early next year instead.
Fair enough, as I said no one person's idea of right is right for all though is it.

I wasn't pulling apart Intel's upgrade paths, though it may have looked it, I was tearing up ARFs, dead end platform comment for the rubbish it is.

I'm more of the gradual upgrade plan , given the chance, and to me using this old am4 platform for something, is better than fully swapping everything every two years.

And if I got Vermeer S on this crosshair impact I would not be that far away from the performance of any Intel part for another year, which sounds perfect for letting ddr5 mature.

My old parts tend to live on for at least four years somewhere.

ARF

Oh , so you also know what everyone else is doing with there pc and processing power?!.

It's offtopic to discuss about what people use their PCs power for.

What you don't get is that Ryzen 9 5950X can be had for $700, while the Ryzen 9 6950X would either get the same price point while the former will get cheaper, or will be pushed up to $800-900 for 5-10% more performance. And 15 months later..

ARF

That's offtopic.

Also, nobody cares about Passmark for a reason.

It proves that currently AMD still holds the performance crown. Vermeer S is too little too late.
A silly stop gap..

1638387264408.png

Core i9 12900K processor review - Performance - Content Creation Blender (guru3d.com)

ARF

We've all seen the reviews, you don't have to prove anything, nobody asked you.

Very few people needs a 16 core CPU.

What is the purpose of Vermeer S then, if in 5 months they will release a new generation?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
What is the purpose of Vermeer S then, if in 5 months they will release a new generation?
You are more than welcome to pay for my new board, ram, etc for the new "AM5" stuff since you think upgrading on the same socket is a waste. I'd like more performance than what my 3700x has while keeping the same everything else. Quit being so narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
It's offtopic to discuss about what people use their PCs power for.

What you don't get is that Ryzen 9 5950X can be had for $700, while the Ryzen 9 6950X would either get the same price point while the former will get cheaper, or will be pushed up to $800-900 for 5-10% more performance. And 15 months later..
You didn't say that originally though did you.
But you did imply you knew people already had enough CPU power?!.

So how could I get what you didn't say?!

Great argument.

Countered by we don't know what vcache brings so to dismiss it now is your call , no, is it f£#@ I'll wait on wizards review since he doesn't just pull it out his ass.

And how long till Raptor lake, an extra few months so AL is a waste too then noo , the mind you have aligns with 0.005% of the pc buying public IMHO.

Reactions: SL2

ARF

You are more than welcome to pay for my new board, ram, etc for the new "AM5" stuff since you think upgrading on the same socket is a waste. I'd like more performance than what my 3700x has while keeping the same everything else. Quit being so narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Why don't you buy the Ryzen 9 5900X now? Or in the last 12 months? It will be a very great upgrade anyways, and only the Ryzen 9 6900X, 6950X and 5950X will remain faster, all of them much more expensive.

AMD is narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Because these are people with large egos, but technically very limited skills and abilities, they drive the world to a catastrophe, pandemics, global warming, wars, poverty, global shortages of components, you name it.
But otherwise think they are great, great in another reality :D

No..

Six of one, half dozen of the other, I reckon. DDR4 prices are starting to come down. I'd put my money on late-gen Zen3 over early Zen 4.

Dates will probably slide. Very interested to see if there are significant gains w/ DDR5. Pretty sure the intra-transit top end of Infinity Fabric (questionable marketing name choice) is tied to the substrate architecture today.

Hopefully AM5 and architecture changes address that..infinity..limitation.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/

Unlikely unless my uncle Pat quits ghosting me and sends me a whole new Intel platform for free.

I do not care about Ryzen 9 or i9. I am upgrading a 3200G quad that has no SMT that is currently used for certain scientific workloads. If that means getting a new main CPU then so be it, but it will be AM4.

Reactions: SL2
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Why don't you buy the Ryzen 9 5900X now? Or in the last 12 months? It will be a very great upgrade anyways, and only the Ryzen 9 6900X, 6950X and 5950X will remain faster, all of them much more expensive.

AMD is narrow minded and inconsiderate.

Because these are people with large egos, but technically very limited skills and abilities, they drive the world to a catastrophe, pandemics, global warming, wars, poverty, global shortages of components, you name it.
But otherwise think they are great, great in another reality :D
Wtaf dude that was our alien overlords not Amd Intel or Nvidia.

I can see an ego alright.