• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Acquire Activision Blizzard to Bring the Joy and Community of Gaming to Everyone, Across Every Device

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Not at all, I still doubt it. Id love to see any kind of data on it instead of what a game studio says.
you can pull up countless independent studies that all say the same thing, the industry is huge and remember many count gambling as a form of gaming. That said games like candy crush and words with friends are huge in popularity rivaling many top AAA video games. I personally don't play games on my phone but my daughter does constantly on phones/tablets

System Name Homebase
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570S UD
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 RGB
Memory 2*16 Kingston Fury DDR4-3600 double ranked
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 16 GB
Storage 1*512 WD Red SN700, 1*2TB Curcial P5, 1*2TB Sandisk Plus (TLC), 1*14TB Toshiba MG
Display(s) Philips E-line 275E1S
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Power Supply Corsair RM850 2019
Mouse Sharkoon Sharkforce Pro
Keyboard Fujitsu KB955
To be honest, it can't get much worse in regard to Blizzard games.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Never cared much for Activision. And Blizzard is just a shadow of the company that brought us Warcraft and Diablo.
So yeah, a big meh from me.

This could be a saving grace for the mobile oriented Activision board room. And the franchises. MS is just going to push all buttons. Looking at their PC-first games, not the worst outlook imho...

They might even recognize the value of Blizzards portfolio better and bring it back to glory. I mean, MS does want to have diverse offerings for all market segments, because thats where the userbase needs to come from. Given the variety of what they acquire... this can go lots of good ways.

And this :)

Yeah, that was my reaction too...

I stopped, it is a big battery killer, charge, dead, charge, dead etc
That's only one problem..

Remember back around 2002-2008 when the three B's (Bioware, Bethesda, Blizzard) could do no wrong in the eyes of PC gamers?

Good times. Sadly gone..

See, you play casual games on your phone, so you belong in that 95 percent
On my phone? No. There are no games even installed. Now if we're counting ALL types of mobile devices, even ones that have no "phone" or communication specific features, then yes. I have several gaming focused tablets powered by Android. But I consider that "portable" gaming, not mobile gaming. There is a subtle difference..

Will this suffice?
No, it's paywalled. No way to examine the data and sources.

Granted, I'm not going to argue that mobile gaming is big. But like Solaris, I give a raised eyebrow to the numbers stated. Console gaming alone has a huge numbers.

Last edited:
That's a massive acquisition, but a very questionable one, Activision Blizzard have been reduced to jus call of duty and world of warcraft for a long time now, they don't make divers games like they used to do in the 2010s days, i think this just boils down to call of duty exclusivity for just xbox, which is crazy.

I would say EA is a much better option, they make lots of cool games still and they have lots of IPs hat rivel call of duty like battlefield and medal of honor

And the timing of thing accusation is not good, they should have waited at least a year, because let's not kid ourselves nobody other than microsoft or maybe apple would have so much cash to buy activation anyway

hmmmmmm

That's a massive acquisition, but a very questionable one, Activision Blizzard have been reduced to jus call of duty and world of warcraft for a long time now, they don't make divers games like they used to do in the 2010s days, i think this just boils down to call of duty exclusivity for just xbox, which is crazy.

Overwatch and King (aka Candy Crush + all those other mobile games) are huge.

They don't make games like they used to, because games today are largely on mobile devices with shitty microtransactions. King/Candy Crush like games are huge these days.

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
Bad for the market, now only 5 Players hold very much IPs.

Microsoft
Sony
EA
Take 2
Ubisoft

it can, cause Microsoft can bring Windows (Store) or Xbox exclusive.

D

Deleted member 24505

Will this suffice?

Now find mobile gamers by device.

Yeah, that was my reaction too...

That's only one problem..

Good times. Sadly gone..

On my phone? No. There are no games even installed. Now if we're counting ALL types of mobile devices, even ones that have no "phone" or communication specific features, then yes. I have several gaming focused tablets powered by Android. But I consider that "portable" gaming, not mobile gaming. There is a subtle difference..

Yes mobile gaming, is on a phone, hence mobile. Things like a switch or DS etc are different.

Bad for the market, now only 5 Players hold very much IPs.

Microsoft
Sony
EA
Take 2
Ubisoft

The lack of Tencent (aka: League of Legends and 40% owner of Epic Games, 80% of Supercell/Clash of Clans) on the list shows how obsolete your mentality is to modern gaming.

The world of gaming has changed in the past 10 years. There are new players, new games, new strategies. That list you had is seriously a 10-year-old mentality. Tencent is #1 in terms of gaming revenue, largely because of that huge and growing mobile market.

It is in light of mega-gaming corps like Tencent which is encouraging Microsoft to buy up things like Activision/Blizzard, in hopes to compete against Tencent.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Blizzard are dead, just like King is - since being ruined by Activision.

Also, have a look at this:

1642523308534.png

Overwatch is the only thing on that list that is new from this triple-company merged corp.
The last Diablo game killed the franchise, almost abruptly with Activision's shoehorning a RMAH in there.
COD is stale - there's been nothing new or innovative in them for decades and their biggest successes are in ripping off other games now.
WOW - enough said. All of the positive aspects of WOW were pre-Activision and that team doesn't exist any more.
Candy Crush - Massively popular pre-Activision and now just a meme that gets dumped on everything like unwanted McAfee Antivirus trials.
Starcraft II was ruined by Activision. Wings of Libery was amazing and mostly completed before the merger, then the following two expansions under Activision were a write off. We don't talk about that any more.

Microsoft, the soulless megacorp have just acquired the studios that were already acquired by another soulless megacorp. Each acquisition removes any spark of talent or original game design that little bit more.

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
Tencent is a garbage company worser than Take 2 with GTA Online, thats the reason why i dont list it.

WOW - enough said. All of the positive aspects of WOW were pre-Activision and that team doesn't exist any more.

Hearthstone as a sub-property under "Warcraft" was pretty recent and largely well received. I wouldn't be surprised if Hearthstone is one of Activision/Blizzard's biggest mobile game properties.

--------

I don't think anyone denies that Activision/Blizzard's culture is terrible and in a state of atrophy right now. But they've got some good properties.

as a huge fan of Mr Phil Spencer, I'm a bit disappointed. They should have bought EA instead. A/B has like what, 10k employees?!?!?! For candy crush and cod ... hahaha that's hilarious. In my country we'd call this a huge employment hanger LMAO. Or a sand castle if you like. EA would have been much better, not only better company but a wider variety on its portfolio. They buy A/B and miss Bungie?!? Really hard to fathom. Anw, I still like Phil, though I "Phil" a bit sorry for Them :)

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Strange move from Microsoft. Paying way, way too much for this dumpster fire of a company. And keeping Bobby? Missed opportunity to do some good in the world.

All in all, Microsoft lost some points in my book.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
At least it's not Skype ($8.5 billion) which they have almost written off as it's been nothing but a money drain. Luckily it's still alive but not kicking really. Had they added registration using a phone number like all other popular messengers do, Skype could have been a real contender in the IM market. Nowadays barely anyone uses it.
That's because these days it's called Microsoft Teams. They made it "better" with Sharepoint integration. :laugh:

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I'm soooooo glad I don't do gamming, but for those that do, you betta hope they don't turn AV/BZ into 1 big advertising clusterfuck like they did with LinkedIn, which used to be a highly-rated career/job board/networking site, now it's just a messy, conglomerated shill platform for whoever pays MS the most $$ for their ad placements....

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Strange move from Microsoft. Paying way, way too much for this dumpster fire of a company. And keeping Bobby? Missed opportunity to do some good in the world.

All in all, Microsoft lost some points in my book.
They just announced the deal. MS can't do anything until they are the owners, which will happen at best mid 2023, not to mention that Bobby will get compensation in hundreds of millions from both the deal and as a severance package, in case you thought that he'll cry about losing the job.

Overwatch and King (aka Candy Crush + all those other mobile games) are huge.

They don't make games like they used to, because games today are largely on mobile devices with shitty microtransactions. King/Candy Crush like games are huge these days.
To add on to this, King just had a record quarter and brought in more net revenue than either the Activision or Blizzard wings of the company.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
They just announced the deal. MS can't do anything until they are the owners, which will happen at best mid 2023, not to mention that Bobby will get compensation in hundreds of millions from both the deal and as a severance package, in case you thought that he'll cry about losing the job.
Well, obviously they can't fire him until they own it, but initial reports have MS saying he's staying as CEO. Some reports say he's only staying until the operation is complete. Imo they (MS) should have said from the beginning that he's leaving once the deal is done.

I don't really care what that asshole feels or do, I just want him gone from the industry.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't think anyone denies that Activision/Blizzard's culture is terrible and in a state of atrophy right now. But they've got some good properties.
No denying they have strong IPs, but those IPs are dying from neglect and lack of original new content.

Hearthstone was conceived in 2008 by "Blizzard Team 5" as a response to pre-Activision blizzard realising that their cashflow was only coming from big, slowing franchises that cost too much to make.

It is possibly the last thing to get developed without Activision ruining it; if you followed the devblogs and vlogs at the time it was very much a delicate time for Activision as the hated megacorp and they pretty much left Team5 to do what they wanted autonomously because it was the first new game in ages and Activision didn't want to be accused of stifling innovation like they had for everything else.

To add on to this, King just had a record quarter and brought in more net revenue than either the Activision or Blizzard wings of the company.
Yeah, a buddy of mine works for King in London. I've been to his office and a couple of work socials and they are rolling in it.

Now Sony should just buy out Bungie and get Square Enix to properly rebuild Destiny for D3, building off the same success they had with FFXIV:RR, and run it properly instead of this half-assed coding that forces Bungie to constantly vault things to make space for new things.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Am I the only one that thinks this might be best for Blizzard. Maybe they can hire help and have the cash backing to push D4 and OW2 out the door.

Am I the only one that thinks this might be best for Blizzard. Maybe they can hire help and have the cash backing to push D4 and OW2 out the door.

Activision/Blizzard doesn't need money. They need a revamp of culture.

Microsoft ain't the best when it comes to programmer/developer culture, but they're likely better than Activision/Blizzard was.