• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC's Largest Customer Accounts for 26 Percent of Revenues

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
You're not going to get an award for guessing who TSMC's biggest customer is, but based on details in TSMC's latest earnings report, its biggest customer stands for no less than 26 percent of TSMC's total revenue. That's up a whole percentage in 2021 over 2020 and as you most likely have already guessed, that company should be Apple. TSMC doesn't, for obvious reasons, reveal who their customers are, but it's no secret that Apple is spending a lot of money with the company. TSMC had a consolidated revenue of NT$1.587 trillion (US$55.73 billion) in 2021, or up 18.53 percent from 2020. The second largest source of revenue for TSMC might surprise some, at least based on the kind of information that the usual analysts tend to claim in their reports.

Although second place in terms of revenue only accounts for another 10 percent of TSMC's total revenue, we're still looking at some serious money here. However, as both Qualcomm and NVIDIA departed for Samsung in 2021, second place is said to be taken by AMD, which might not have been everyone's first guess. Unsurprisingly, 64 percent of TSMC's revenue is coming from companies in the USA, with Taiwan being the second largest source of revenue at 12.8 percent. As far as the PRC is concerned, revenue is said to be down by 29.6 percent and only makes up 10.3 percent of TSMC's revenues for 2021. This is largely due to the US sanctions against Huawei, according to the Taipei Times. The 7 nm node is still the big money maker for TSMC, which pulled in over NT$440 billion, followed by the 5 nm node at over NT$262 billion. However, the 5 nm node revenue grew by 188 percent in 2021, while the 7 nm node only had a revenue growth of 11.5 percent.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
is this breakdown from Taipei times? Its an interesting piece regardless.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
is this breakdown from Taipei times? Its an interesting piece regardless.
Yes, link at the bottom of the story on the front page, as always.
Couldn't locate the full year report on TSMCs website.

AMD being the second largest and presumably growing customer makes the possibility of Intel trying to corner third party fab capacity a little less likely.

Also its quite interesting that 7 nm and lower nodes only make up 50% of TSMC revenue. Less dense nodes are still important.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
AMD being the second largest and presumably growing customer makes the possibility of Intel trying to corner third party fab capacity a little less likely.

Also its quite interesting that 7 nm and lower nodes only make up 50% of TSMC revenue. Less dense nodes are still important.

Less dense nodes become hardened for industrial/automotive/space use. -40F its important that the microprocessor in a engine controller works, same at +240F, or further development to -390F for space use etc....

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
GF are probably kicking themselves for not staying cutting edge and intel for not staying cutting edge and marketing their foundries.

looks more profitable now just to etch silicon then be an actual cpu company.
(yes over exaggerating but still)

I wonder what revenue was from all foundries combined??

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
GF are probably kicking themselves for not staying cutting edge and intel for not staying cutting edge and marketing their foundries.

As it happens, the answer has been provided for you.

I would not be so sure about that. Nvidia does not have the revenue or spending of Intel, and they are spending about 7 billion a year on 5nm at TSMC which is probably just as much if not more than AMD will spend on 5nm considering their 7nm obligations and current spending. Intel could easily spend this and with Qualcomm coming back into the mix, AMD might not have the cashflow and revenue to compete considering their current obligations. AMD consoles obligations make them guaranteed and predictable income but it is takes a huge portion of their cashflow to do it.

Consoles are a lower margin product and represents a huge portion of AMD's spending. For example if 2.5 to 3 billion is spent annually to pay for console chips which is not a stretch considering consoles take up 25 millions chips in a year( assuming a $120 cost to make), it would mean AMD has 4 to 5 billion tops to spend on 5nm. AMD is not in a position yet where it can double it's TSMC spending to keep up its current position. Intel and Nvidia are better equipped because of their margins, cashflow and revenue(less so for Nvidia).

Consoles were nice for AMD to have when they were broke, but when AMD had competitive or superior products, they have become an anchor for revenue or growth. If were not in the console business or just servicing one of the console makers, imagine how many more ryzen 3 or RDNA 2 chips they could have sold at higher margins.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
@TheLostSwede writting is very convoluted and confusing, atleast for my adhd

I would not be so sure about that. Nvidia does not have the revenue or spending of Intel, and they are spending about 7 billion a year on 5nm at TSMC which is probably just as much if not more than AMD will spend on 5nm considering their 7nm obligations and current spending. Intel could easily spend this and with Qualcomm coming back into the mix, AMD might not have the cashflow and revenue to compete considering their current obligations. AMD consoles obligations make them guaranteed and predictable income but it is takes a huge portion of their cashflow to do it.

Consoles are a lower margin product and represents a huge portion of AMD's spending. For example if 2.5 to 3 billion is spent annually to pay for console chips which is not a stretch considering consoles take up 25 millions chips in a year( assuming a $120 cost to make), it would mean AMD has 4 to 5 billion tops to spend on 5nm. AMD is not in a position yet where it can double it's TSMC spending to keep up its current position. Intel and Nvidia are better equipped because of their margins, cashflow and revenue(less so for Nvidia).

Consoles were nice for AMD to have when they were broke, but when AMD had competitive or superior products, they have become an anchor for revenue or growth. If were not in the console business or just servicing one of the console makers, imagine how many more ryzen 3 or RDNA 2 chips they could have sold at higher margins.
If I was a betting man (and I am since I have AMD stock) smart money is on Epyc and Instinct. These product lines probably make the lionshare of fab capacity as well as margins for AMD. These also happen to be the markets techpowerup readers have the least knowledge. Gaming is great. I love to game. But the computing world is dominated by enterprise acquisitions.

And although I am not sure, it is possible that MS and Sony are TSMC customers for console chips since technically the silicon belongs to them. At the very least, AMD probably charged an upfront NRE in addition to fee per chip.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Here's a breakdown of TSMC's revenue by node, actually all nodes are growing:

The 28 nm node is said to be the last one that's cheap (oh well) to design for - that has someting to do with the switch from planar FETs to FinFETs. An interesting analysis was published two years ago, I can't seem to find anything more recent, but it clearly shows that the costs of developing a chip are rising sharply with each new node:

It's still best and safest to choose 28 nm or even some larger node if you're not designing a chip that will sell in tens of millions.

GF are probably kicking themselves for not staying cutting edge
Maybe. But they haven't stopped investing, and the path they have chosen can still be very profitable for several years to come - RF, analog, power, automotive, gallium nitride, government contracts. After that, they can buy used 7 nm equipment from Samsung. TPU alone reported many times what GF is up to:

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
If I was a betting man (and I am since I have AMD stock) smart money is on Epyc and Instinct. These product lines probably make the lionshare of fab capacity as well as margins for AMD. These also happen to be the markets techpowerup readers have the least knowledge. Gaming is great. I love to game. But the computing world is dominated by enterprise acquisitions.

And although I am not sure, it is possible that MS and Sony are TSMC customers for console chips since technically the silicon belongs to them. At the very least, AMD probably charged an upfront NRE in addition to fee per chip.
That is wishful thinking thinking consoles chips are not eating into AMD wafer supply which is not a surprised since you have a stake in AMD being profitable. However look at the past and AMD have always included their console chip in their revenue stream. It was what kept them afloat during the worst of times.

If AMD making a set amount per chip while SONY AND MS made the chips, that would be a licensing deal and AMD would not nearly have as much of an advantage in obtaining the console chip contract. That is Nvidia would be happy to give the console maker a contract since it would not eat into their wafer supply and it would help them dominate the market further. The reason Nvidia did not pursue it because it is a low margin revenue stream. Licensing technology is a not a low margin revenue stream. It's pure profit.

If Epyc and Instinct were actually taking the lionshare of Fab capacity, their margins would be much much higher. Have you looked at the price of EPYC and Instinct lines? How big are the chips for EPIC and Instinct for their price? AMD's margins are the lowest of the three and this would not be the case if their professional lines were taking up most of their manufacturing ability.

AMD likely has to service those console contract or a penalty will happen. It's why in terms of output, console system have actually been selling at a higher rate than usual(compared to PS4 and xbox one) and supply is pretty healthy considering the shortage of chips. However Ryzen 3 and RDNA2(particularly this one), have been generally short on supply. Look at the size of a console chip and the shear volume of them being sold to console makers and it should be pretty clear AMD should be manufacturing more RDNA 3 and Ryzen 3 chips and manufacturing less console chips but they can't.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Here's a breakdown of TSMC's revenue by node, actually all nodes are growing:

The 28 nm node is said to be the last one that's cheap (oh well) to design for - that has someting to do with the switch from planar FETs to FinFETs. An interesting analysis was published two years ago, I can't seem to find anything more recent, but it clearly shows that the costs of developing a chip are rising sharply with each new node:

It's still best and safest to choose 28 nm or even some larger node if you're not designing a chip that will sell in tens of millions.

Maybe. But they haven't stopped investing, and the path they have chosen can still be very profitable for several years to come - RF, analog, power, automotive, gallium nitride, government contracts. After that, they can buy used 7 nm equipment from Samsung. TPU alone reported many times what GF is up to:
You're not wrong.
“The average cost of designing a 28nm chip is $40 million,” said Handel Jones, CEO of IBS. “By comparison, the cost of designing a 7nm chip is $217 million, and the cost of designing a 5nm device is $416 million. A 3nm design will cost up to $590 million.”

What specifically? It looks good to me and I'm a native English speaker.
There was a couple of sloppy bits in the second paragraph, that I fixed for readability.

Last edited:

I don’t believe any foundry is making losses at this point in time. Not producing cutting edge nodes doesn’t mean that they will lose money because a lot of electronics/ chips are still produced on older nodes, or rather, no need for cutting edge nodes. While the foundry may not earn as much as the likes of TSMC or Samsung’s cutting edge nodes, there is also substantial upfront cost involved to ready and deploy cutting edge nodes. In fact, there’s news on GF also on 100% capacity over the last 2 years and with aggressive plans to expand. Which says a lot about their profit.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Less dense nodes become hardened for industrial/automotive/space use. -40F its important that the microprocessor in a engine controller works, same at +240F, or further development to -390F for space use etc....

But is that the case for these nodes already? I don't think so. They serve a much better purpose in mass production still and they probably will all the way 'back up' to 22~28nm. We saw examples even in CPUs where CCX es were on smaller process than other chiplets in Zen.

The stuff used in space is decades old.