• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Run Program After Profile Change" disabled

Kocane

It seems like in one of the more recent versions of ThrottleStop, this feature was disabled so it's greyed out in the options.

Is it not possible to enable it again, somehow?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
ThrottleStop runs with Administrator privileges. Allowing ThrottleStop to start other programs results in other programs also getting to run with Administrator privileges. This was a useful feature but it was also a possible security risk. I removed this feature for this reason and there is presently no way to re-enable it. No plans at the moment to bring this feature back.

ThrottleStop runs with Administrator privileges. Allowing ThrottleStop to start other programs results in other programs also getting to run with Administrator privileges. This was a useful feature but it was also a possible security risk. I removed this feature for this reason and there is presently no way to re-enable it. No plans at the moment to bring this feature back.
@unclewebb What was the last version of ThrottleStop to have this feature ???

m(_ _)m

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What was the last version of ThrottleStop to have this feature ???
The ReadMe file for ThrottleStop 9.5 says,

- disabled Run Program After Profile Change feature for improved security.

My best guess would be sometime between 9.4 and 9.5. No access to my programming computer at the moment. There might be some beta versions between those two versions that still had this feature.

I might restore this feature in the future if enough people want it back. So far I can only remember 2 people having mentioned anything about it missing.

Maybe I could add a Danger=1 INI option for those that want this useful feature restored.

Last edited:
The ReadMe file for ThrottleStop 9.5 says,

My best guess would be sometime between 9.4 and 9.5. No access to my programming computer at the moment. There might be some beta versions between those two versions that still had this feature.

I might restore this feature in the future if enough people want it back. So far I can only remember 2 people having mentioned anything about it missing.

Maybe I could add a Danger=1 INI option for those that want this useful feature restored.
@unclewebb I had no idea ThrottleStop could start programs with "Administrator privileges". That would actually make this feature *a lot more* usefull to use.
Starting something up in Administrator mode is buggy, and a huge pain in the a???

Thank you m(_ _)m Sensei.

Well, this is the biggest joke I have ever heard.
Because of some "security risk" that potentially people find useful (so it is by definition NOT a security risk but a FEATURE), you simply bluntly remove another useful feature.

1/ You CAN run a program as unpriviledged user from another program that have admin rights, there is extensive documentation about this, I am not a develloper but I did the homework : https://superuser.com/questions/242839/run-a-program-without-administrative-privileges-in-windows-7

2/ ThrottleStop don't have an automatic update feature, matter of fact I updated from 9.2 to 9.5 only today, so there are potentially a lot of other people that don't even know that this feature is removed or others that didn't search this topic so simply reverted to an even older version (so the "security risk" is still present).

Removing features because of "security risk" is the biggest joke, immagine Microsoft removing features (instead of pacthing them) because of security risks, we would still be on terminal command prompts with no network access.

hellbyte

Missing this feature very very much. For example I want to stop/start my sync software (Syncthing) on power events to save power in battery mode. And maybe some other software. Very nice feature. I even thought to write simple daemon that handles power event and do this, but if I have throttlestop process running already, better it could be done there..

Using ThrottleStop is very risky at all, tuning some options can damage the hardwar, so running software with Admin rights from parent App that is ran with admin rights is not a secuity hole at all. BTW, there is Task Scheduler built in Windows, that can run apps with admin rights.

Also I suppose that ThrottleStop users should probably know what they do.

Hope, that you can enable this feature back again in your great app :) +1 vote for this feature