• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reddit Communities Go Private in Protest Over Policy Adjustments

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Thousands of dicussion communities on Reddit have now shut doors to public access—warning signs started to appear online over past weeks, with community leaders drumming up support for a protest against the social news site's policy changes, including a strategy to monetize access to a vast pool of user data. For example the highly popular r/hardware subreddit is now "a private community"—unregistered users are greeted with a succinct message on the front page: "This subreddit is temporarily closed in protest of Reddit killing third party apps, see /r/ModCoord and /r/Save3rdPartyApps for more information." News sites are reporting that close to a total of 3500 subreddits have joined the "blackout" effort. According to the BBC this includes "five of the 10 most popular communities on the site - r/gaming, r/aww, r/Music, r/todayilearned and r/pics - which each have memberships of more than 30 million people."

A group message was shared by a moderation collective last week: "On June 12th, many subreddits will be going dark to protest this policy. Some will return after 48 hours: others will go away permanently unless the issue is adequately addressed, since many moderators aren't able to put in the work they do with the poor tools available through the official app. This isn't something any of us do lightly: we do what we do because we love Reddit, and we truly believe this change will make it impossible to keep doing what we love." A moderator (speaking to the BBC anonymously) said that the protest will be effective due to "strength in numbers," which will presumably grab the attention of Reddit's executive team.

They explained the though process behind the virtual march: "If it was a single subreddit going private, Reddit may intervene. But if it's half the entire website, then you feel a lot more pressured. This is a completely volunteer position, we don't receive any financial compensation, and despite that, we do like to take it quite seriously. Our entire community is supporting us against this change...It feels good to be able to have the power to say: 'We will not continue to moderate our communities if you push these changes through...If it's almost the entire website, would they destroy what they've built up in all these communities, just to push through this highly unpopular change that both the mods and users of Reddit are overwhelmingly against?"

Reddit's policy changes will introduce sizable charges for "premium access," which effectively kill off the need for popular third-party Reddit applications - such as Apollo, Reddit is Fun, Sync and ReddPlanet - that grant users the ability to browse the site via a customizable interface. Apollo developer Christian Selig claimed last week that the new premium model could result in him having to shell out $20 million to keep his app going: "Going from a free API for 8 years to suddenly incurring massive costs is not something I can feasibly make work." He has since outlined plans to shutter the service: "Apollo will close down on June 30th. Reddit's recent decisions and actions have unfortunately made it impossible for Apollo to continue. Thank you so, so much for all the support over the years."

Reddit chief executive Steve Huffman commented on the subject of protests last Friday—his platform "needs to be a self-sustaining business" and he informed critics: "We respect when you and your communities take action to highlight the things you need, including, at times, going private...We are all responsible for ensuring Reddit provides an open accessible place for people to find community and belonging." A Reddit spokesperson also proposed to the BBC that Apollo was "notably less efficient" when compared to rival third-party interfaces. Part of the defense statement outlines that the firm spends "multi-millions of dollars on hosting fees" and reiterates Huffman's view that Reddit "needs to be fairly paid" for its services and continued support of third-party apps: "Our pricing is based on usage levels that we measure to be comparable to our own costs." Reddit has outlined policies in the past where external application developers would not be charged, but the spokesperson has declared that a few of them will require paid access from now on.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Can it run Warhammer 3?
Processor 7800X3D @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Enermax Liqmax III 360mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance @ 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3080
Storage Silicon Power XS70
Display(s) BenQ EX2710Q, BenQEX270M
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Audio Device(s) AudioTechnica M50xBT
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex III 850W
Spez gotta be seething right now.

That gameplan of profiting off 3rd party apps better than their own is backfiring hard

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Got my reddit help in just in time last week I guess.

For desktop combination of old reddit and reddit enhancement suite.
Phone, diode app, but might try out that apollo app as never heard of it until now.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
And, reddit is down :D

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I mean it’s just API access. Mods still have controls on the sub reddits and this doesn’t affect normal users other than.

- random communities shutting down in protest
- people can’t use third party apps

I really tried to be on people’s side but this just isn’t a big deal to me, or the average user.

To me it really just seems like the third party app developers that already steal your data pouting because they have to buy it now.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
They'll all come crawling back in a week. They already do it for free, the actual paid mods can simply remove the free ones and find replacements from the rest of reddit.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Bunch of selfish thirds getting mountains of data for free.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Phone, diode app, but might try out that apollo app as never heard of it until now.
They are close down on the 30th due to said API changes, so goodluck with that.

I mean it’s just API access. Mods still have controls on the sub reddits and this doesn’t affect normal users other than.

I really tried to be on people’s side but this just isn’t a big deal to me, or the average user.

To me it really just seems like the third party app developers that already steal your data pouting because they have to buy it now.
It's a big deal to large community moderators, but moderators are a neccesary part of making reddit function.

They'll all come crawling back in a week. They already do it for free, the actual paid mods can simply remove the free ones and find replacements from the rest of reddit.
Just like Tumblr, I'm sure.

Reddit may survive this but I don't see it being what it once was if they don't cave.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
reddit function.

Meh they can go function with the built in tools. Its there fault they got used to using third party shit. I just dont see the issue, and I dont see how people can be this invested. If it costs these companies millions its because there app is beating the shit our of reddits endpoints. Not because a single API call is $99,999,998.98

I will just keep going to the site and reading all my shit. It all still works for me. Good for Reddit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Meh they can go function with the built in tools.
On a large community? lolno. Reddit will just die. What you'll see as an enduser is just it fallback to being a largely unmoderated hellhole like 4chan or something. That will cost them more in advertising than this could ever earn.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Read the article on theregister, the tpu source is crap.

"The Reddit Data API was ostensibly released to help developers build apps and services for Reddit users by allowing access to posts and other info hosted on Reddit. It's also used by academics, researchers and "social listening tools" to get access to Reddit data, the company said, but some people are using it excessively.

While not naming companies like Google and OpenAI directly, Reddit CEO and cofounder Steve Huffman told The New York Times in an interview that Reddit "is a home for authentic conversation" online, and as such "the Reddit corpus of data is really valuable," to third parties.

"Crawling Reddit, generating value and not returning any of that value to our users is something we have a problem with," Huffman opined. "It's a good time for us to tighten things up. We think that's fair."

Hello LLM's, no free lunch.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Read the article on theregister, the tpu source is crap.

"The Reddit Data API was ostensibly released to help developers build apps and services for Reddit users by allowing access to posts and other info hosted on Reddit. It's also used by academics, researchers and "social listening tools" to get access to Reddit data, the company said, but some people are using it excessively.

While not naming companies like Google and OpenAI directly, Reddit CEO and cofounder Steve Huffman told The New York Times in an interview that Reddit "is a home for authentic conversation" online, and as such "the Reddit corpus of data is really valuable," to third parties.

"Crawling Reddit, generating value and not returning any of that value to our users is something we have a problem with," Huffman opined. "It's a good time for us to tighten things up. We think that's fair."

Hello LLM's, no free lunch.
A lot of third party tools that have to close over the new pricing changes have also posted their backend source to prove they do not in fact, harvest data.

Certainly that happens but that is not the issue most are concerned with at all.

I'll be clear I barely use reddit anymore since the only subreddit that interested me was banned for dubious reasons, but as a former mod of said subreddit, I know the arguments are valid.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
A lot of third party tools that have to close over the new pricing changes have also posted their backend source to prove they do not in fact, harvest data.

Certainly that happens but that is not the issue most are concerned with at all.
And you're ignoring Reddit's POV.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
And you're ignoring Reddit's POV.
I'm saying reddit is nothing without it's community. Their only POV should be to maintain that, or just close up shop today because defeat is inevitable otherwise.

I'm also saying their argument makes no sense against half the pricing choices on the API.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4

Does it affect reddit enhancement suite?

On mobile reddit is unusable without an app, the default website is absolutely horrific.

What you'll see as an enduser is just it fallback to being a largely unmoderated hellhole like 4chan or something.
Except 4chan actually has useful information and people will tell you the truth, because they don't have to worry about some crazed political activist trawling through their post history to find out who they are in real life and doxxing them because they dared to question [the current thing].

For specific communities on reddit, personal finance for example, it's an advantage to have more permanent threads; you may not get the answer right away, but eventually someone is likely to see it and respond. But what this change will accomplish is that the people who care are just going to leave, and guess what: the people who care are 99% of the reason anyone visits that awful, astroturfed website. The people who care are the ones answering questions and making reddit useful; drive them off and you don't have reddit anymore, you just have political propaganda and bot posts.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Reddit has become and been somewhat helpful but mostly toxic

I love how some people in this thread are siding with Reddit while +7k subs have gone dark already (+2b subscribers combined). There are only two possible endings: Reddit backpedals or it dies charging what they wanted because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Except 4chan actually has useful information and people will tell you the truth
Yes, the home of QAnon tells only useful info and the truth. Friggin lol.

Look, reddit has issues but I mean, come on, you can't be serious.

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
For me Reddit has a few useful subreddits but is mostly "for entertainment purposes only". Bad moderation, trolls, highly ignorant posters and vast amounts of misinformation in most of the forums I follow on there. On the other hand I've found some extremely valuable tech resources on there plus being a cat lover I enjoy the feline related forums. It's free and at times good for a few laughs.

Yes, the home of QAnon only tells useful info and the truth. Friggin lol.

Look, reddit has issues but I mean, come on, you can't be serious.
Two of my brother-in-laws are QAnon zealots. Both are insane.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
For me Reddit has a few useful subreddits but is mostly "for entertainment purposes only". Bad moderation, trolls, highly ignorant posters and vast amounts of misinformation in most of the forums I follow on there. On the other hand I've found some extremely valuable tech resources on there plus being a cat lover I enjoy the feline related forums. It's free and at times good for a few laughs.
Much my experience. The site is chock full of its own brand of issues but still has moments.

Two of my brother-in-laws are QAnon zealots. Both are insane.
My uncle is in on that and... wow, how do you handle two of them?

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
I ignore them when they go on their rants. At family gatherings we're social to each other but otherwise there's not much communication. Thankfully nobody in that family is into tech.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Reddit has become and been somewhat helpful but mostly toxic
It is a good resource at times, but it can be yeah very toxic and moderation in many subreddits is extremely heavy handed, and good luck now days if you have a new reddit account with no rep.

I love how some people in this thread are siding with Reddit while +7k subs have gone dark already (+2b subscribers combined). There are only two possible endings: Reddit backpedals or it dies charging what they wanted because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Problem here is, the 3rd party apps want their cake and don't want to share.

Apollo dev said he makes $500,000 from subscriptions, and was giving $0 to Reddit.
That is not fair, a API does cost to build and upkeep and all the extra stuff.

What Reddit has done is put a price tag that is a bit higher than other companies charge (Google / AWS / Microsoft and so on).

Though, they do say it still is free for open source apps or apps that don't charge people money, and that seems pretty fair does it not?
Those devs aren't making money, so Reddit gives them a pass.

It is only the 3rd party apps that are commercial (for profit) is where this is targeted, and yes, those 3rd party people SHOULD pay something for Reddit's API usage

The only question is, how much should they pay, and that is the part both sides should get together on and talk about it.

Oh, and also, 7K subreddits out of 3,125,000 total subreddits is a joke, barely a blip.

I think Reddit's mobile app is trash, and their new layout on the desktop is also trash, they should hire one of those 3rd party people to fix it, otherwise, when old.reddit goes down, then adios.