• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft CEO Discusses Acquisition of Activision Cloud Streaming Rights

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
The UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) rejected a previous draft of Microsoft's proposed deal to merge with Activision Blizzard (to the tune of $69 billion). The expected summer completion date was missed due to this sole case of opposition—all of the other international regulatory bodies had approved a conglomeration of Xbox and Activision portfolios. Ubisoft later emerged as an unlikely knight in shining armor, since the UK CMA has provisionally approved freshly revamped conditions—it turns out that Microsoft had agreed to sell its cloud streaming rights to the French video game publisher. The Financial Times sat down with one of the company's co-founders—CEO Yves Guillemot—and discussed how cloud gaming will revolutionize the industry.

Guillemot was not asked to comment on how much his firm has agreed to spend—allegedly a one-off fee—on purchasing Activision Blizzard's cloud streaming rights (from Microsoft). He did discuss the inherent risk of embracing a relatively immature market technology: "When Netflix first said it was going to go into streaming, their shares fell a lot and they were widely criticized. Today, we see what they have become. It's going to be the same with video games, but it will take time. But when it takes off, it will happen very quickly...We strongly believe in the next five to 10 years, many games will be streamed and will also be produced in the cloud. That's what pushed us to go forward with the Microsoft deal." This looks to be an unusual move for Ubisoft, considering the rumors of a recent strategy shift in reaction to downturns in sales.

Insiders claim that company leadership is restructuring internal development teams around a smaller number of "core" franchises, along with a shelving of newer franchises and experimental projects. Ubisoft's weakened state upped gaming community speculation regarding a possible takeover from a rival publisher—last year Tencent shelled out $297 million for an 11% stake in Ubisoft. The Financial Times asked Guillemot about the current layout of shareholders—he replied: "We wanted to work with Tencent to ensure that the board had good control of the company's capital. But that doesn't stop the board from listening to proposals." Microsoft is bound to its agreement with the UK CMA—so a potential takeover of Ubisoft is strictly forbidden across a 15-year long period.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Main Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K @ 5.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 Rev2 in Pull Config & 3 Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 fans
Memory 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
Storage 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus nVme SSD's & Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Display(s) Asus ROG PG279Q 27" 16:9 2560x1440 144/165Hz & Asus PB278Q 27” 16:9 2560x1440
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Tempered Glass USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Far out, these companies really need to just realise that Cloud Streaming/Gaming is dead and they shouldn't waste their time/money on it. People just aren't going to use it.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Far out, these companies really need to just realise that Cloud Streaming/Gaming is dead and they shouldn't waste their time/money on it. People just aren't going to use it.
It could only work in some countries where Internet speeds are high and peering between networks has low latency. In other countries it would get quite expensive for Ubisoft, they would have to put a Datacenter at every edge ISP in every country just about to make it work.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Ubisoft thought their NFT idea was great....I think it may have been a better idea than trying to get into the game streaming service.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's just them they must see something we don't. Everyone else is either decrying old is new/the death of cloud, or quietly dipping out the back door and every in between after realizing cloud computing is only beneficial up to a point.

D

Deleted member 177333

Yep. I have the bandwidth for this and I'd never even entertain it. I'll find a new hobby before I ever stream games. I want my own hardware onsite, and I want any software / games I am using installed and stored locally on that hardware. If companies move away from that, then I'm out as far as any monetary engagement. Happy to pirate as needed and as it's available in those cases.

Wye

He is an idiot.
Game "streaming" is not the same as video streaming.
Also game streaming is not something new, a gazillion of companies tried it very hard in the last 15 years.
The current market share is estimated at 1%, with even those numbers inflated/fake.

For the companies it could be very profitable .. in theory ... but the customers don't want it.

Just let it die.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
For the companies it could be very profitable .. in theory ... but the customers don't want it.
Maybe for now ...
I hope we will still have choice in 10 years.

Game streaming is like that thing you feel you're juuuuuust about to do. You're so close. You can taste it. You're almost there. Just a little more and you'll have something incredible. But it never comes together and it won't ever come together. It's a pipe dream. It's like VR. Something that seems like an amazing idea until you realize almost half the population can't use VR without their stomach coming out their mouth. No matter what they do, no matter how hard they try, that basic human reflex--worse for some and better for others--is going to guarantee that it won't ever take off. It's just a little thing, really.

Game streaming and latency is going to doom the concept in much the same way. They'll never be able to put up enough servers or account for areas/regions that rely on Starlink or similar services with horrendous latency. Amusingly, I'm happy with that given how game ownership and game preservation would have been a nightmare in a world where companies thought they could rent you games from the cloud without you having any trace of access to said games files. Microsoft already tried with Game Pass and UWP-secured sections of Windows and it's proven to be annoying at best and storage-stealing at worst.

Microsoft sold those rights because they're meaningless. xCloud was a solution looking for a problem and Microsoft hasn't found it after years of searching. I expect the only reason they're still even doing xCloud is either because it's a selling point for Game Pass Ultimate (even though most never use it) or because they have some arrangement with Azure to use a certain amount of services to help justify them in the books.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm glad people have figured out game streaming is fail. Let's see how many more bubbles are gonna burst between now and next ten years, and then, as the smoke clears, PC gaming is probably still standing with a fresh line up of previously indie studios doing games as they need to be done.

Business as usual :)

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Cloud Streaming/Gaming in terms of PC gaming is dead, nobody wants to stream PC gaming because its demanding graphics. The mobile games like on phones is a different story, especially the NFT push which has gained traction via the Crypto verse. Anyhow, for me Steam is perfect, plus if I can I like buying the physical product unless there's a sale to be had.