• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Announces World of Warcraft: The War Within Expansion

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
Today at BlizzCon 2023, Blizzard Entertainment announced The Worldsoul Saga, featuring three upcoming expansions for the critically acclaimed massively multiplayer online game World of Warcraft. Players will begin their adventure deep beneath the surface in the World of Warcraft: The War Within expansion, slated for release in 2024. World of Warcraft: Midnight and World of Warcraft: The Last Titan will round out a three-part saga that calls players home to save Azeroth.

"Beginning with The War Within, The Worldsoul Saga is grown from the seeds of what captured the hearts of players around the world when they first set foot in Azeroth," said World of Warcraft executive producer Holly Longdale. "For veteran players, the last 20 years have led to this, and for those who have never set foot in Azeroth, this is a whole new adventure."

"The War Within, Midnight, and The Last Titan encompass one of the most ambitious creative endeavors ever attempted for World of Warcraft, designed as standalone narratives that feed into an overall story arc," said Warcraft general manager John Hight. "Alongside these epic adventures, the ongoing quality-of-life feature updates players have come to expect from us since Dragonflight will continue in The War Within, further setting us up for the next 20 years and beyond,"

"As we begin a new era at Blizzard Entertainment, I am inspired by the World of Warcraft teams' passion for players and their expansive vision for the future of their storytelling," said president of Blizzard Entertainment Mike Ybarra. "The legacy of World of Warcraft spans generations, and the beginning of The Worldsoul Saga is the perfect time for anyone who has memories of this legendary universe to celebrate, rediscover, and come home to Azeroth."

The War Within begins with an ancient civilization rising to power deep beneath the surface of the planet, as heroes of both the Alliance and Horde alike are bombarded with visions—some are of the Light, while others see an alternate, darker fate.

World of Warcraft: The War Within Features
While players embark on the first chapter of The Worldsoul Saga and journey to a new level cap of 80, they will encounter new zones, dungeons, and raids, and more:
  • Explore the new continent of Khaz Algar: Off the western shores of Kalimdor lies The Isle of Dorn, a new hub for both the Horde and Alliance. Begin to explore what dwells beneath the surface in the lava-fuelled forge of The Ringing Deeps, the lush Hallowfall, and the pinnacle of Nerubian society, Azj-Kahet.
  • New Playable Allied Race - the Earthen: Players will meet and unlock this Titan-forged race who have made Khaz Algar their home, with their own unique civilization and culture.
  • Expand your Warcraft fantasy with Hero Talents: A new level of class specialization customization, Hero Talents are modelled after well-known archetypes from the Warcraft universe, including Dark Ranger, Farseer, and more.
  • Delves: New bite-size adventures seamlessly integrated into the world, which flexibly scale to support 1-5 players, and offer meaningful progression.
  • Warbands: A quality-of-life feature for players with multiple characters, Warbands allow banks, reputations, transmogs, and more to be shared across all player characters.

Pre-purchase Options
World of Warcraft: The War Within is available for digital pre-purchase today on the Battle.net shop:

• The War Within: Base Edition - $49.99 USD
    • Pre-purchase of World of Warcraft: The War Within
    • Access to World of Warcraft: Dragonflight
    • Enhanced Level 70 character boost, allowing players to jump immediately into the upcoming content update for Dragonflight, Guardians of the Dream.
    • 500 Trader's Tender
  • The War Within: Heroic Edition - $69.99 USD
    • All Base Edition features
    • Algarian Stormrider mount and access to special dynamic-flying racecourses
    • Upgradable Stormrider's Attire transmog set
    • An additional 250 Trader's Tender, for a total of 750
  • The War Within: Epic Edition - $89.99 USD
    • All Base and Heroic Edition features
    • Beta access to World of Warcraft: The War Within
    • Early access, minimum of three days before the expansion's launch
    • Squally the Storm Hatchling pet
    • Sandbox Storm Gryphon toy
    • An additional 250 Trader's Tender, for a total of 1,000
    • 30-day subscription time
For more information about The War Within, tune into the World of Warcraft What's Next and Deep Dive panels at BlizzCon 2023, available on the BlizzCon website. An active subscription is required to play World of Warcraft. For more information on World of Warcraft: The War Within, visit the World of Warcraft website. Assets are available on the Blizzard Press Center. World of Warcraft: The War Within will launch on or before December 31, 2024.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
These Warcraft Games look interesting but I was influenced by the effect Everquest had on society to have no interest in this. I am sure that it will be popular though.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
for someone that plays WoW since the EU Beta in 2004 and has a large Arthas canvas on his wall...
what the fuck is even that? i thought i was on tiktok.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
I don't get how people are still playing this.
At one point over 15 years ago I was pretty in to WoW (ok, really into it, playing in one of the biggest clans on the server in question), but it seems like Blizzard is mainly milking people at this point when they sell an expansion and it doesn't even come with any play time unless you pay $90...

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
Always amazes me how many people still play this game after 20 years. I thought it was fine when I played Vanilla 19 years ago, but these days there are so many good choices, and many are free (GW2, SWTOR, LOTRO), or free for a long time(FFXIV). I guess I'm just cheap. :laugh:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
for someone that plays WoW since the EU Beta in 2004 and has a large Arthas canvas on his wall...
what the fuck is even that? i thought i was on tiktok.

I played WoW in 2004 beta as well and still have my Warcraft 3 posters up on my wall. Honestly it doesn't look horrible. I haven't really played since Cata and MoP though, so I am pretty far behind on the story. Thrall and Anduin and a new storyline, I might come back for this.

Looks like Delves are a replacement for Torghast.

Most boring Expansion announce so far.

it is a little underwhelming, they should have showed something to do with the Titans at least, cause that is coming in this trilogy expansion. bad decision by the marketing team, but they are all overpaid at Blizz and haven't had motivation in years.

Always amazes me how many people still play this game after 20 years. I thought it was fine when I played Vanilla 19 years ago, but these days there are so many good choices, and many are free (GW2, SWTOR, LOTRO), or free for a long time(FFXIV). I guess I'm just cheap. :laugh:

Endwalker is hands down the best story in a MMO in the entirety of gaming history, so yes I recommend people play FFXIV too.

At one point over 15 years ago I was pretty in to WoW (ok, really into it, playing in one of the biggest clans on the server in question), but it seems like Blizzard is mainly milking people at this point when they sell an expansion and it doesn't even come with any play time unless you pay $90...

It's really about nostalgia for me, sometimes I will hop on to a free server (WoW is free until level 20, errr level 10 now) and do the level 10 5 man dungeons for free. so many good memories. i play warcraft 3 rts every few years as well for nostalgia. not sure if i will get this or not yet to be honest.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Some of us are playing classic lol.

I thought about subbing to play that. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing sometimes. I really miss just doing the early level 60 5 man dungeons, good times. Onyxia for the first time was wild, I will never forget those days.

I thought about subbing to play that. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing sometimes. I really miss just doing the early level 60 5 man dungeons, good times. Onyxia for the first time was wild, I will never forget those days.
Just remember when fighting Onyxia if you get knocked into the eggs its 50 dkp minus...many whelps.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
I only play classic now, haven't played normal WoW for a long time now.

System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
What amaze me more is the number of people who play this still , then the ugly graphics.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
The engine is long due for a overhaul. Looking way to outdated is a gross understatement. Just looks at the cinematics compared to the gameplay....lol
Same with SWTOR and LOTRO. And STO too. Already excessive bloatware on the interface taking more than half of the viewscreen, cartel markets, retarded side quests, useless and boring grinding, etc , etc.
You would think that after 20 years, somebody would come with something better and not that boring anymore. sight...

I only play classic now, haven't played normal WoW for a long time now.
What is the difference actually? The main ones?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
People play it because there isnt anything quite like it. And frankly i quite enjoy it. I love the pvp aspect of the game and when i get to a point where im happy with my rating, my gear, and i get all the slots that can be gemmed, gemmed, i start doing raids. Now with 11.0 transmog farming is going to be so much easier and as a Rogue main, i can run any dungeon, any raid, and collect all the cloth, leather, mail, and plate and learn that transmog for that class type.

I find it to be fun so I continue to play. When i get bored of it, i stop playing for a while.

The features I wanted announced was auto queue for M+ a complete ban on boosting even for gold and a better overhaul of the entire gearing and ilvl. I don't want to see main story tied behind reputation that just spoiled the game and put a burden on returning players. The rep grind in Dragon flight was terrible with lots of content impossible to do with out groups like forbidden reach and zaralak caverns this was a mistake. The gear scaling in world quests was a good idea but didn't go far enough this should have been a catch up mechanic but it wasn't. I like to see really tough solo content with high ilvl gear to match no I'm not talking about 20 ilvls below I'm talking about same gear. Properly tune all classes making all classes viable is not acceptable because that not the way the group leaders etc.. see it 1% less DPS makes you dog poo in the eyes of players it's wrong but it's the mindset. Make getting into the game easy I leveled 12 characters in dragon flight and once you hit max level there are nothing but quests with no idea of what's important, unimportant or wat you really need to do first. They need to colour code this stuff.

Adding early access is a major no. The game is all about end game content and if you care about mythic plus your going to find it difficult to get into groups. I know what you're thinking 3 days doesn't make much difference and I thought so with dragon flight and started after 4 days and went hard to go into mythic plus I was to late ilvl was already up making it difficult/impossible to get into groups. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you understand the thinking of wow and the toxic nature of the players.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Doesn't seem like a big deal until you understand the thinking of wow and the toxic nature of the players.
Yep... this is exactly one of the reasons I stopped playing. Not so much the toxic nature, that's a thing in most online games with a competitive aspect, but the treadmill that the game pushes on people, and how the masses just follow whatever Blizzard brews in the board room, its devoid of reason or rationale, its just about the same as a bunch of heroin addicts running to get that fix.

Fun for a while, and a lot more fun to know its time to stop doing it.

People play it because
WoW ticks every psychological box and people got addicted to it. This is dark pattern game design at its finest.
There is a lot like it, but they got invested in this one. The game isn't unique. Its just expansive and captured a large audience.

Its fine for what it is, but let's be honest with ourselves.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
I only play casually, not into all the preening. To many preening fidiots for my liking, so i don't do raids or any of that. I just play alone usually as i find that relaxing for me. Not into gear score wars or anything.

loki_toki

I mean, the game looks exactly like 20 years ago, graphics is not everything, sure, but I refuse to play a game with 2004 graphics in 2023 almost 2024. They should really upgrade the engine, since money surely aren't missing from Blizzard.

izy

I mean, the game looks exactly like 20 years ago, graphics is not everything, sure, but I refuse to play a game with 2004 graphics in 2023 almost 2024. They should really upgrade the engine, since money surely aren't missing from Blizzard.
WOW is already CPU intensive (single threaded) do you want to make it GPU Intensive too , 4090 for 60 fps DLSS Q? Joking ofc , i was saying that they should change the game engine from like 4 years ago.
You can try using /console set ResampleAlwaysSharpen 1 , it looks better , sharper and more cartoonish.

These Warcraft Games look interesting but I was influenced by the effect Everquest had on society to have no interest in this. I am sure that it will be popular though.
Right there with you. I did play WOW for a time, but lost interest. Never looked back. And that was in 2012/2013. Kinda surprised WOW is still around.. especially with that lame-duck combat engine..

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
The game doesnt look like it did 20 years ago. Yes it's the same engine, but the graphics have been updated. New character models for nearly every character type, weapons are more 3d instead of 2d, updated assets to look more modern, etc

If they were to do a complete engine overhaul that would be an entire expansions worth of time to put it into every zone and continent

Last edited:
The game spent lol like it did 20 years ago. Yes it's the same engine, but the graphics have been updated. New character models for nearly every character type, weapons are more 3d instead of 2d.

If they were to do a complete engine overhaul that would be an entire expansions worth of time to put it into every zone and continent
Indeed and at this point I'd like to see them wrap it up with these 3 X-Pac then move on to wow 2, diablo or StarCraft world. But wow needs to be replaced.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Right there with you. I did play WOW for a time, but lost interest. Never looked back. And that was in 2012/2013. Kinda surprised WOW is still around.. especially with that lame-duck combat engine..

I started a rogue on horde classic, and i see so many new charcters around. Went to orgrimmar and it is packed with a LOT of high level players. Not sure how much of an indication of player numbers it is, but it sure seems popular.

But wow needs to be replaced.

My server is packed, if other servers are the same, i cannot see WoW going anywhere.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
I only play casually, not into all the preening. To many preening fidiots for my liking, so i don't do raids or any of that. I just play alone usually as i find that relaxing for me. Not into gear score wars or anything.
Why play WoW casually when there are a dozen MMO's that are just as good, if not better to play alone in, and don't cost a monthly fee? Is it just nostalgia and familiarity that drives you to continue to play WoW?

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
WOW is already CPU intensive (single threaded) do you want to make it GPU Intensive too , 4090 for 60 fps DLSS Q? Joking ofc , i was saying that they should change the game engine from like 4 years ago.
You can try using /console set ResampleAlwaysSharpen 1 , it looks better , sharper and more cartoonish.

WoW is anything but single threaded, hasn't been for a long time. It is, however, CPU-bound more than GPU, that hasn't changed.

As for the graphics people love to talk about - it's style, not how many pixels there are. As far as I am concerned latest xpacs have greatly upped the fidelity, new tech has been added (the game with engine roots back in 1999 has Ray Tracing, what else do you want?!) and it still has the same style - which is great. Do we really need yet another Unreal Engine MMO who mostly look the same?

Why play WoW casually when there are a dozen MMO's that are just as good, if not better to play alone in, and don't cost a monthly fee? Is it just nostalgia and familiarity that drives you to continue to play WoW?

Because most of them are just the same, as I said above. It's the curse of MMORPG's in general, mostly, heh, thanks to WoW itself - 19 years later there still is no "WoW killer" - all killers have died/moved to background (hello SWTOR). Very few original and unique ones - think FFXIV, who can at least boast some player numbers.