• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core Ultra 5 125H Squares off Against AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS in Benchmark Leak

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Intel Core Ultra 5 125H is designed to be a middle-of-the-market processor SKU from Intel's next generation "Meteor Lake" processor family. It comes with a CPU core configuration of 14-core/18-thread. That's 4P+8E+2L (four performance cores, eight efficiency cores, two low-power island cores), although with a full featured Xe-LPG iGPU that has all 8 Xe cores (128 EU) enabled. The chip is normally rated for a 28 W power envelope, although OEMs such as Lenovo have developed a custom 65 W "power mode," which raises the base power value.

A Chinese PC enthusiast with access to an unreleased Lenovo notebook based on this processor, including Lenovo's 65 W Mode toggle, benchmarked it, and compared it with a notebook powered by an AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS "Phoenix" processor (8-core/16-thread, "Zen 4," Radeon 780M iGPU with all 12 compute units enabled); and another notebook powered by Intel's current middle-of-market chip in the H-segment, the Core i5-13500H "Raptor Lake" (4P+8E, Xe-LP iGPU with 5 Xe cores or 80 EU). The results were a little unexpected. The Xe-LPG iGPU of the 125H is shown beating both the Radeon 780M of the Ryzen, and the Xe-LP iGPU of the i5-13500H, with the highest 3DMark Time Spy and Fire Strike scores in the comparison. The Xe-LPG iGPU is 15% faster than the Radeon 780M in Time Spy, and 6% faster in Fire Strike. It's a whopping 70% faster than the Xe-LP iGPU of the "Raptor Lake" chip in this comparison. Things are shockingly different on the CPU performance front for the "Meteor Lake" chip.

In the Cinebench R20 multi-threaded benchmark, the Ryzen 7 7840HS is 10% faster than the Core Ultra 5 125H. It is 6.5% faster in the Cinebench R20 single-threaded benchmark, which is surprising, given that the "Redwood Cove" P-cores of "Meteor Lake" should come with a higher IPC than the "Zen 4" core of the Ryzen. We're not quite sure what's happening here. One possible explanation is that the enthusiast behind the tests used Lenovo's 65 W mode on all three notebooks, and the Ryzen is somehow able to hold onto its boost frequencies better; or there's a software-level problem preventing the benchmarks from correctly scheduling across all 14 cores on the "Meteor Lake."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

If you actually look at the marketing slides for Meteor Lake, no IPC increase is claimed for the P cores, only the E cores.
1702378670963.png

1702378705536.png

Meteor Lake is all about tile packaging, NPU, IGP and E cores. I don’t even think the IPC is going up on Arrow Lake P cores.

The Meteor Lake presentation is very vague on performance claims. Even though TPU claims IPC P core increases in the article text, nothing like that is stated in the presentation slides.

Maybe Intel engineers said it verbally during the keynote.

Last edited:
1 - 65W is a very peculiar TDP selection, MTL achieves 95pc of its performance at 35W
2 - There is massive variation in laptop cooling solutions, firmware based Freq/Power curves, so again a poor comparison
3 - There is a desperate attempt to spin this as a ST perf regression with no tangible evidence
4 - The IGP is much better and needs an opportunity to stretch its legs

The Meteor Lake CPU is a 4.5GHz part; the 7840HS turbos to 5.1 GHz. The 7840HS is eight core versus the four core plus e-core setup of the 125H - maybe equivalent to six cores. The 185H against 7840HS would be a better comparison, even though the 185H is six cores. Meteor Lake launch is only a few days away, let's wait for the full reviews.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
If you actually look at the marketing slides for Meteor Lake, no IPC increase is claimed for the P cores, only the E cores.

Meteor Lake is all about tile packaging, NPU, IGP and E cores. I don’t even think the IPC is going up on Arrow Lake P cores.

The Meteor Lake presentation is very vague on performance claims. Even though TPU claims IPC P core increases in the article text, nothing like that is stated in the presentation slides.

Maybe Intel engineers said it verbally during the keynote.

From later interviews as late as October, Intel staff were saying that architectural changes are possible but remain relatively minor. I don't think it was ever going to be a Skylake>Sunny Cove jump.

Disregarding where the performance stands, Intel badly needs the efficiency increase from the node shrink as shown from the Redwood Cove V-F leak. It's not up for debate, Ryzen is far more usable in the -U and -P segments, when away from the wall, because Intel still can't provide a dynamic enough solution for power and clocks. So if they can make major improvements on that front, I don't see a huge problem here - right now 13th gen -U performance is in the absolute toilet and 13th gen -P is too hot and hungry. Meteor Lake needs to fill that gap where Phoenix -U conveniently sits - going higher for -H Intel can just crank up the Vcore and power like they always do.

Hardware scheduling improvements are always welcome.

Besides, for both AMD and Intel (even more so for 13th gen -H here), laptop specific design and optimization always makes or breaks an otherwise healthy CPU, so these scores mean next to nothing at this time.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
From later interviews as late as October, Intel staff were saying that architectural changes are possible but remain relatively minor. I don't think it was ever going to be a Skylake>Sunny Cove jump.

Disregarding where the performance stands, Intel badly needs the efficiency increase from the node shrink as shown from the Redwood Cove V-F leak. It's not up for debate, Ryzen is far more usable in the -U and -P segments, when away from the wall, because Intel still can't provide a dynamic enough solution for power and clocks. So if they can make major improvements on that front, I don't see a huge problem here - right now 13th gen -U performance is in the absolute toilet and 13th gen -P is too hot and hungry. Meteor Lake needs to fill that gap where Phoenix -U conveniently sits - going higher for -H Intel can just crank up the Vcore and power like they always do.

Hardware scheduling improvements are always welcome.

Besides, for both AMD and Intel (even more so for 13th gen -H here), laptop specific design and optimization always makes or breaks an otherwise healthy CPU, so these scores mean next to nothing at this time.
There are Intel Evo designs around P CPUs. And Intel Evo guarantees (among other things) at least 9.5h battery life. So I don't see how your assertion can be true.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
There are Intel Evo designs around P CPUs. And Intel Evo guarantees (among other things) at least 9.5h battery life. So I don't see how your assertion can be true.

Have you read, like, any -P review ever? Against Rembrandt and Phoenix-U/HS 12th and 13th gen -P have never been fighting anything other than a losing battle on power, thermals, and batt.

If we're going to use Evo as a crutch, then take the Galaxy Book3 with 13th -P against the 6850U Eliteboom 16 for a head to head on the exact same battery capacity (and an i5 against R7 with 680M, no less).

There is a very real need for Meteor Lake in the thin and light segment. It's pretty plain to see from basically every ThinkPad ever after Rembrandt released - two of the same model is almost universally better served by Ryzen.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Have you read, like, any -P review ever? Against Rembrandt and Phoenix-U/HS 12th and 13th gen -P have never been fighting anything other than a losing battle on power, thermals, and batt.

If we're going to use Evo as a crutch, then take the Galaxy Book3 with 13th -P against the 6850U Eliteboom 16 for a head to head on the exact same battery capacity (and an i5 against R7 with 680M, no less).

There is a very real need for Meteor Lake in the thin and light segment. It's pretty plain to see from basically every ThinkPad ever after Rembrandt released - two of the same model is almost universally better served by Ryzen.
You know as well as I do laptop reviews are almost as rare as hen's teeth. Point me to some and I'll happily read them.
Till then: https://laptopmedia.com/laptops-with-the-best-battery-life/

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Well, there have been a lot of leaks coming out concerning OEMs being completely disappointed in the performance of Meteorlake, specifically that there is almost no increase in IPC, to the point that OEMs have been told to specifically talk about AI first and foremost and CPU specific performance last and least, and this seems to corroborate that I suppose. Obviously, I'll wait for reviews, but if Meteorlake was going to be some significant jump in performance, I think we would have heard about it by now, or at the very least, whispers and rumors of such a performance increase.

FYI, I think notebookcheck.net is one of the best websites for laptop and mobile SoC/GPU reviews and benchmarks, they have a huge amount of data, the ability to directly compare any piece of hardware to another, and often have had benchmark data on mobile CPUs and GPUs or Laptop models I haven't found anywhere else.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
You know as well as I do laptop reviews are almost as rare as hen's teeth. Point me to some and I'll happily read them.
The problem that Intel has is that AMD's is so far ahead a 15 watt part can sell handhelds like hotcakes. Just watch an ETA Prime channel video on handhelds and mini PCs. This is why most AMD centric enthusiasts are chomping for an RDNA2 APU on the desktop.

Well, there have been a lot of leaks coming out concerning OEMs being completely disappointed in the performance of Meteorlake, specifically that there is almost no increase in IPC, to the point that OEMs have been told to specifically talk about AI first and foremost and CPU specific performance last and least, and this seems to corroborate that I suppose. Obviously, I'll wait for reviews, but if Meteorlake was going to be some significant jump in performance, I think we would have heard about it by now, or at the very least, whispers and rumors of such a performance increase.

FYI, I think notebookcheck.net is one of the best websites for laptop and mobile SoC/GPU reviews and benchmarks, they have a huge amount of data, the ability to directly compare any piece of hardware to another, and often have had benchmark data on mobile CPUs and GPUs or Laptop models I haven't found anywhere else.
See my post above about IPC. Somehow sites like TPU got it into their minds that Meteor Lake P cores have a huge IPC increase. I don’t think this was ever the case and I don’t know how these sites started believing this unsubstantiated claim. I’m not even sure if Intel outright or even hinted at a P core IPC increase. Maybe with all the Meteor Lake changes including a ‘new’ P core based on efficiency, these sites just assumed that also included higher IPC.

Edit: TPU claims ‘serious’ P and E core IPC increases in the hardware updates articles without reference.

I’m guessing there was some rumor awhile back or a now defunct Intel claim about IPC increases in Meteor Lake P cores but I still don’t know the original source.

So what's Intel doing these days? Tick tick tock tock ~ little to no IPC improvement from 12-14th gen & barely anything on mobile/laptops either!

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
So what's Intel doing these days? Tick tick tock tock ~ little to no IPC improvement from 12-14th gen & barely anything on mobile/laptops either!
They're mostly focusing on foundries, but the redwood cove core design in general is underwhelming.

What’s worse is that Intel could even roll back IPC gains on the P cores in order to increase efficiency and/or compensate for the addition of NPUs and better GPUs. This is not without precedent given that Intel dropped AVX512 from client chips and reduced core counts going from Comet Lake to Rocket Lake.

To be fair, looking at just the P cores nowadays no longer makes sense even if it makes us enthusiasts sad. The whole package has ‘increased computational’ abilities if you look at everything: NPU, P cores, E cores and iGPU. Even the IO tile has cores now.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
See my post above about IPC. Somehow sites like TPU got it into their minds that Meteor Lake P cores have a huge IPC increase. I don’t think this was ever the case and I don’t know how these sites started believing this unsubstantiated claim. I’m not even sure if Intel outright or even hinted at a P core IPC increase. Maybe with all the Meteor Lake changes including a ‘new’ P core based on efficiency, these sites just assumed that also included higher IPC.

Edit: TPU claims ‘serious’ P and E core IPC increases in the hardware updates articles without reference.

I’m guessing there was some rumor awhile back or a now defunct Intel claim about IPC increases in Meteor Lake P cores but I still don’t know the original source.
Maybe this is the source:
Meteor Lake - Zen 4 killer, eficiency monster :roll:
Arrow Lake - 30-40% faster ST than Raptor Lake, (the last rumours point at 5% IPC increase) :roll:
Panther Lake - 30-40% faster ST than Arrow Lake, 90-95% faster ST than raptor lake in 2 years :roll:
1702425959852.png

unruheherd

1 - 65W is a very peculiar TDP selection, MTL achieves 95pc of its performance at 35W
That is what I have intended to say. MTL may fail to impress at 65 W and more, but first leaks have shown a lot of potential at roughly half the wattage and less. I wanted to see a more powerful CPU as well, but I think MTL is a solid base for chips to come. The way Intel is putting together chips and connecting them looks promising. If their forecast holds true and new cores will release on smaller nodes, the MTL successors could become an interesting package at 65 W and above. Although I would prefer to not exceed 95 W for the sake of efficiency, but that is purely my preference.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Intel locking H chips and way over priced HX chips pretty much made my choice for me
Which is amd 7840hs on an acer 17 nitro with 4060.

To be fair, looking at just the P cores nowadays no longer makes sense even if it makes us enthusiasts sad. The whole package has ‘increased computational’ abilities if you look at everything: NPU, P cores, E cores and iGPU. Even the IO tile has cores now.
I see that wccftech have some claimed bench mark results for the Meteor Lake Ultra 9 185H. Like the 13800H this is a 6P + 8E part, top speed is 5.1 GHz versus the 5.2 of the 13800H. The 185H is said to have been in a Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Ultra. The graph below shows these bench marks which are CPU-Z single-thread and multi-thread scores.

wccftech.png

The multi-thread score of the 185H is a big step forward from the 13800H. But even allowing for the slight speed difference between the two, I can't see any sign of a significant increase in single-thread performance if these bench marks are correct.

I see that wccftech have some claimed bench mark results for the Meteor Lake Ultra 9 185H. Like the 13800H this is a 6P + 8E part, top speed is 5.1 GHz versus the 5.2 of the 13800H. The 185H is said to have been in a Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Ultra. The graph below shows these bench marks which are CPU-Z single-thread and multi-thread scores.

View attachment 325157

The multi-thread score of the 185H is a big step forward from the 13800H. But even allowing for the slight speed difference between the two, I can't see any sign of a significant increase in single-thread performance if these bench marks are correct.
Nice additional results. This would backup the idea that the E cores have increased IPC but not the P cores.

I think Intel is readjusting transistor real estate amongst the tiles to increase efficiency and add new capabilities at the detriment of increased single threaded CPU performance.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob

I'm sorry, I can't take seriously a "top battery life list" that thinks all laptop batteries come in an identical Wh capacity. Aforementioned comparisons are not at all "rare" in the past 2 years, the state of -U and -P is hardly a secret considering 13th gen changed nothing in this area.

ffs you don't need to look past entry #1 on the laptopmedia list. Between 2 identical X1 Gen11s with 57Wh battery, subbing in the 1365U for the 1370P cuts battery life in half. It's the textbook -U vs -P example that has played out everywhere else: no perf vs no battery, your choice.

Meteor Lake can only be a positive in this TDP segment, so I'm not sure why you're defending a thoroughly terrible product against it?

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Meteor Lake can only be a positive in this TDP segment, so I'm not sure why you're defending a thoroughly terrible product against it?
Yes, yes, performance parts will eat battery faster than low-power parts. You just rocked my world.
You said P parts are power hogs, I simply asked how much of a power hog can they be if they can offer 9.5h+ of battery life in Intel Evo designs?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Yes, yes, performance parts will eat battery faster than low-power parts. You just rocked my world.

We're pretending that -P is considered "performance" now? LOL

-P exists from 12th gen onwards solely because from 12th gen onwards -U is completely inadequate against Ryzen -U. Doubling power draw across the board (TDP and actual) to stay "competitive" is considered a given now?

Or are you just going to keep fixating on the 9.5Wh number, which doesn't actually address the whole point about efficiency in any way?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
We're pretending that -P is considered "performance" now? LOL

-P exists from 12th gen onwards solely because from 12th gen onwards -U is completely inadequate against Ryzen -U. Doubling power draw across the board (TDP and actual) to stay "competitive" is considered a given now?

Or are you just going to keep fixating on the 9.5Wh number, which doesn't actually address the whole point about efficiency in any way?
What can I say, when a supposedly inefficient mobile CPU gives me 10h battery life, I'm good.

Is there anything impressive about Meteor Lake, apart from general iGPU catch-up?

Is there anything impressive about Meteor Lake, apart from general iGPU catch-up?
For some people that alone would be impressive, bearing in mind that a few years back Intel iGPUs could do little more than put an image on screen.