• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next-gen Games Consoles Predicted to Cost More or Offer Smaller Performance Uplift

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Hiroki Totoki—Chief Operating Officer (COO) and president of Sony Group Corporation—expressed slight disappointment in PlayStation 5's Q3Y23 sales performance. The console's lifetime total (since November 2020) hit an impressive 50 million units sold milestone last December, but Sony's top brass had set an aggressive target of 25 million PS5 units sold through the fiscal year of 2023. A recent company earnings call highlighted a revised sales goal of 21 million units, and the PlayStation top executive's uneasy outlook for the fourth quarter and beyond. Genki Japan parsed this information into an easy to digest Tweet: "Sony COO Totoki said that it is harder to grow profits on the PS5 as the life cycle goes on in comparison to previous generations. With previous gens as time went on it became cheaper to produce them. But with PS5 the parts are becoming more expensive as the life cycle goes on."

Well known hardware tipster—Kepler_L2—followed up on Genki's brief report with an insight into semiconductor conditions (current day and in times ahead): "Cost per transistor has remained flat through FinFETs and will go up with GAAFETs/CFETs. The days of free cost savings with die shrinks is over and things will only get worse. Future consoles will either have increasingly smaller performance gains or significantly higher prices." Kepler_L2 has a pretty good track record of covering unreleased AMD CPU and GPU technologies, particularly in the field of Sony and Microsoft gaming hardware—they were last seen weighing in on the matter of speculated PlayStation 5 Pro specifications. Industry observers believe that the proper next-generation PlayStation and Xbox consoles will launch with insides occupied by Team Red-designed tech, despite early 2024 rumblings of NVIDIA and Intel pitching in with shopped proposals.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Easy solution, ride the gen longer, produce better machines that last longer. Then you've got more time to sell your games on said console.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
If it starts getting more expensive, people will most likely move to PC gaming which would be nice overall.

Easy solution, ride the gen longer, produce better machines that last longer. Then you've got more time to sell your games on said console.
Perhaps they should consider an MCM design that combines chips from different processes. In this approach, the caches can remain at 6nm, as they are not subject to scaling.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Won't happen ever. PC is the incel ugly person zone of gaming and that hasn't changed. It has a stench over it that cannot be removed. Don't hire, don't date, don't be friends with, it's that bad of a stigma.

Yeah but it smashes in the face of the weedy consoles

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
If it starts getting more expensive, people will most likely move to PC gaming which would be nice overall.
Yes, a significant influx of PC gamers would increase demand for graphics cards.

That sounds wonderful.

As well can all agree on, GPUs are way too cheap right now. Companies like Nvidia are probably just weeks away from filing bankruptcy. They really need to charge more for their graphics cards.

:p

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64

True, "pro" consoles (or refresh, because that's what it is) weren't a thing until more recently.
You'd get slim models on the back 9 of the product life cycle but that was it.

I mean, feel free to try to cheap it out, you are not only competing with PC as always but also game streaming now so.... yeah, not a good idea.

Thats why competition is good. TSMC is too far ahead of everyone else that they can sell wafers at insane prices.

Come on intel/samsung/glofo?/china.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thats why competition is good. TSMC is too far ahead of everyone else that they can sell wafers at insane prices.

Come on intel/samsung/glofo?/china.

Even though a lot on TPU want Intel to fail, i am not counting them out.

There are a lot of console buyers, so even price increases won't make them move to a PC imo as that would be an even bigger price cost.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Idea is too sensible for corporate.

Personally, I agree with others that the next-gen Consoles should be designed with longevity rather than mid-cycle refresh again.

Basically, go all out in making the next-gen consoles a "Pro Edition" from the start, and mid-cycle refreshes would instead be cooler due to improvements in production, much like what was done in the PS1-PS3 era, with mid-cycle refreshes producing slimmer, cooler-running consoles with near-identical performance (backwards compatibility aside in the case of the latter PS3s). Or if they want, make use of production refinements to push both a power mode and an efficiency mode on the refreshed console, kind of like what the PS4 Pro did offer in some games. In this case, a Performance Mode that uses improvements to further push gaming quality while maintaining the same maximum operating temperature levels of the release-gen console, or an Efficiency Mode that keeps things at the same level of performance as the release-gen console, but with lower heat output.

The other possibility is maybe making the GPU element upgradable, kind of like the Frameworks laptops and other experimental one-off laptops that allowed GPU upgrades. In this case, making use of a proprietary, slotted mobile GPU. Either the old GPU can be swapped out, or the console would have the expansion bay built-in and can swap over to using the new GPU while either shifting APU resources towards the CPU cores (providing a processing boost) or repurpose the iGPUs for light AI purposes.

Even though a lot on TPU want Intel to fail, i am not counting them out.

There are a lot of console buyers, so even price increases won't make them move to a PC imo as that would be an even bigger price cost.
They can move to PC if all it takes is a browser and fast internet to play on geforce now and similar...

It's not like we're in desperate need of a performance uplift anyway, the current gen can already game at 4k60 and probably half the user base is still using them with older 1080p TVs. I don't even see the PS5 Pro being particularly atractive because of exactly this, there's not much to go after.

Sure, you could bring 120Hz gaming to consoles but that's not realistically going to happen sadly - games won't support it because of general lazyness to patch things to unlock performance - what will be the Pro model selling point exactly?

The PS6 having a smaller performance uplift will be absolutely fine.

Sony's top brass had set an aggressive target of 25 million PS5 units sold through the fiscal year of 2023. A recent company earnings call highlighted a revised sales goal of 21 million units, and the PlayStation top executive's uneasy outlook for the fourth quarter and beyond

Fucking idiots, they had an amazingly successful launch because the market conditions were completely abnormal - pandemic and crypto boom making gpus unobtanium - and they rode that while they could. But those conditions are no more and game releases have been very uninteresting, they set themselves up for failure lol

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
Dont think that PC gaming will get cheaper. Playstations are made from the same stuff.

Or simply start utilizing all those cores equipped with CPU's. 20 years ago it was a breakthrough having a dual / 2 core CPU. Now we have more cores then we could ever think or dream of.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
It's no longer an option. Back towards the end of the PS3/X360 era rose an unforseen problem. The aging HW of the consoles started to seriously holding back the game industry in general from adapting the new technologies. Same issues with using 6-8 years old GPUs in PC gaming. You can watch what can you do with a GTX 1660 Ti today on a 4K screen. It were the "high power" console manufacturers: Sony and Microsoft whom made the decision that a new console and/or a refresh is needed about every 3-4 years to be able to adapt the ever growing needs of gaming.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's no longer an option. Back towards the end of the PS3/X360 era rose an unforseen problem. The aging HW of the consoles started to seriously holding back the game industry in general from adapting the new technologies. Same issues with using 6-8 years old GPUs in PC gaming. You can watch what can you do with a GTX 1660 Ti today on a 4K screen. It were the "high power" console manufacturers: Sony and Microsoft whom made the decision that a new console and/or a refresh is needed about every 3-4 years to be able to adapt the ever growing needs of gaming.
Nonsense.
Its a strategy that can be adapted. And the advances now arent that fast anymore. We made a jump, but that was yesteryear.

Its a matter of choices.

It makes sense that consoles would get more expensive to account for the node cost what I don't get is why it's an issue. People are dumb and will get into debt for anything these days.

The die shrink days having a massive impact on performance are gone it's been innovation like chiplets that's exciting. They have known for year's now what way the industry was heading let's hope they have planned accordingly.

But tbh only consoles I'm remotely interested in is the switch 2 and whenever the new steam deck comes out. Switch and steam deck made the ps5 and xbsx obsolete for me to the point I've sold them my PC is more than enough for that big screen experience. Personally for me the market shifted I hope Xbox and play station can keep up.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
Personally, I agree with others that the next-gen Consoles should be designed with longevity rather than mid-cycle refresh again.

Basically, go all out in making the next-gen consoles a "Pro Edition" from the start, and mid-cycle refreshes would instead be cooler due to improvements in production, much like what was done in the PS1-PS3 era, with mid-cycle refreshes producing slimmer, cooler-running consoles with near-identical performance (backwards compatibility aside in the case of the latter PS3s). Or if they want, make use of production refinements to push both a power mode and an efficiency mode on the refreshed console, kind of like what the PS4 Pro did offer in some games. In this case, a Performance Mode that uses improvements to further push gaming quality while maintaining the same maximum operating temperature levels of the release-gen console, or an Efficiency Mode that keeps things at the same level of performance as the release-gen console, but with lower heat output.

The other possibility is maybe making the GPU element upgradable, kind of like the Frameworks laptops and other experimental one-off laptops that allowed GPU upgrades. In this case, making use of a proprietary, slotted mobile GPU. Either the old GPU can be swapped out, or the console would have the expansion bay built-in and can swap over to using the new GPU while either shifting APU resources towards the CPU cores (providing a processing boost) or repurpose the iGPUs for light AI purposes.

They could even use MXM modules of some sort for the GPU to make it upgradeable, pretty sure they could get Nvidia and AMD to make said modules in MXM format.

It makes sense that consoles would get more expensive to account for the node cost what I don't get is why it's an issue. People are dumb and will get into debt for anything these days.

The die shrink days having a massive impact on performance are gone it's been innovation like chiplets that's exciting. They have known for year's now what way the industry was heading let's hope they have planned accordingly.

But tbh only consoles I'm remotely interested in is the switch 2 and whenever the new steam deck comes out. Switch and steam deck made the ps5 and xbsx obsolete for me to the point I've sold them my PC is more than enough for that big screen experience. Personally for me the market shifted I hope Xbox and play station can keep up.

I actually sold my switch and use ryujinx now, its as good as a switch with a xbox pad for control. I just saw switch 2 is now going to be 2025 though which is a downer. I love the switch and spent about £500 on the store but like the convenience of having it all on my PC, i'd be overjoyed if Nintendo made the roms somehow downloadable for use with the emulator, with some sort of user ID lock so they can't be shared. I'd spend another 500 on them then.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Snes I remember allowed chips inside cartridges to add new capability to game engines.

I think now PS5 and Xbox are both Ryzen/NVME as standard, they could get away with not releasing a new gen for a while, graphics are easy, just down scale to the GPU as well as skipping or minimising RT which is a resource hog. With some foresight they maybe could have implemented some kind of external PCIe connector.

Modular design to change parts. N64 had a ram cartridge. Maybe have cpu and gpu catridges that can be changed. Pcie 6 won't matter as the current 5 could carry to pcie7 or even 8 before switching to it via a new motherboard...

It's an issue for the company's bottom line. They really do fret over the price point.

Chiplets are cool and all but they also add cost. That's a perfect example of what the concern is. The transistor shrink is minimal, the thermals are no better, the simplest way to add more features is to go bigger but that's prohibitively expensive so the alternative is go modular. Brings the cost back down somewhat but the simplicity is gone and the thermals are worse. It has the inevitability of more pieces equals more cost.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Eh sour old man here, I would say its not a lack of power that is holding the consoles/games back....its the lack of talented developers.