• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elon Musk Sues Open AI and Sam Altman for Breach of Founding Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the military AI is supportive AI, e.g. collates and presents information, or pre-empts pilot needs, providing targetting data etc ahead of time. AFAIK there are no pure AI systems that don't have a human decision maker in the mix, hopefully this doesn't change.
That is exactly as I understand it, but they have looked into and tested "Man Out Of The Loop" and would absolutely jump on it if there was legislation to protect them.! And of course we are still talking about "Machine Learning" as there is no actual "Intelligence" except a bag of meat and bones in a pressure suit, thankfully.!

However it's a Pandora's box situation, once the technology is created, it will be used. We could never go back from nukes (those who think we could disarm are unbearably naive), and AI in weapons systems will be a similar jump I think, especially considering the current competency crisis and the lack of interest in joining the military by youth.
Exactly, and it has always been thus, military technology has never gone backwards, and once a new "thing" comes along that is better than the old thing, the old thing becomes obsolete and this is my fear with "AI" (machine learning) being used in the military, once used it will only become more widespread, and then someone will make it legal for the "machine" to decide to kill or not, and before you know it, it will be Robots killing Robots (and Humans), manufactured by Robots in a factory built by Robots, all without a Man In The Loop.!!! This is a truly terrifying prospect, and very sadly one that I fully expect to happen, and it will only end with Human extinction once actual "Artificial Intelligence" happens and it decides that it doesn't need Humans at all and they are simply our slaves and chose not to be, that will be the end of Humans, and this is why IMHO "open" "AI" needs to be a thing because then people can check on it and slow and control the inevitable.

If the pilot is making decision based on information provided by AI then AI can cause some harm by filtering data. Let’s say it will filter out information about civilians being in the same building as enemy soldiers.
Yes, if it programmed to do so, or to simply be programmed to consider everyone within X distance of a known enemy combatant as "collateral damage" and this information may never be sent to the pilot, which could be argued as being good for the pilots mental health, it could also identify anyone as an enemy combatant based on other parameters besides location, it could use travel patterns, physical size, carrying objects, moving in groups etc and that could all potentially be done from 1,000 ft up without any real visual or thermo accuracy, there are many ways such a system could be abused.

Away from the military uses, this is why having things like "open AI" actually being open source is a very good thing to have, so people can see what they are doing and how they are manipulating and using the information. Obviously this will never apply to military, but everything that can be applied to one can be applied to another via certain "rules" and "parameters", but I have no idea whether this information input is also "open", I doubt it is, and that is a very important part of all of the nonsense we have seen with "AI" chatbots.

Last edited:
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
basically: I don't want to pay alot of money to put the leading AI in my Teslas.

I don't believe it to be so shallow an issue. Musk is completely in the right on this one. I think it has potential to become a landmark case in favor of free software as well.

when problems are fighting themselves, every1 else wins.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't see how what OpenAI are doing is defensible, Elon Musk or not.
  1. They breached their contract with Elon. Even if you think he's a ****head, a contract is a contract and it's legally binding.
  2. They are taking intellectual property that others have contributed under the agreement that it would be for the public domain. They need to reimburse those contributors or remove their contributions if selling their work to Microsoft, and the decision to remove contributions or compensate those contributors would needed to have been dealt with in full before the Microsoft deal for all living contributors on a per-contributor individual basis.
  3. They have violated the GNU AGP License that their entire company was founded on. Regardless of who pays them now, they need to settle with contributors made under GNU AGPL or expose themselves to countless more lawsuits, potentially class-action lawsuits for any and all contributors so far.
I'm no lawyer but this seems like a cut and dry case. They've breached contracts and licenses left right and center, selling source code that they do not have the right to sell, because it's not theirs.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Guess that 5-7 trillion donation/ investment tin cup turned into a fire sell instead :cool:
Some nonprofits do well and others are just shelters from taxes.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
I have zero empathy.
Your empathy is irrelevant. As do the history of Musky Musk. It's just business.

I don't see how what OpenAI are doing is defensible, Elon Musk or not.
  1. They breached their contract with Elon. Even if you think he's a ****head, a contract is a contract and it's legally binding.
  2. They are taking intellectual property that others have contributed under the agreement that it would be for the public domain. They need to reimburse those contributors or remove their contributions if selling their work to Microsoft, and the decision to remove contributions or compensate those contributors would needed to have been dealt with in full before the Microsoft deal for all living contributors on a per-contributor individual basis.
  3. They have violated the GNU AGP License that their entire company was founded on. Regardless of who pays them now, they need to settle with contributors made under GNU AGPL or expose themselves to countless more lawsuits, potentially class-action lawsuits for any and all contributors so far.
I'm no lawyer but this seems like a cut and dry case. They've breached contracts and licenses left right and center, selling source code that they do not have the right to sell, because it's not theirs.

This! ^ Exactly this above.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
a broken clock.....

Pot calling the kettle black? One of the biggest tech fraudsters currently relevant complaining about someone else not keeping their word.

Musk is broke. This seems like a money grab.
But you see, Tesla's would be fully autonomous if only OpenAI was OPEN!

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
Taken at face value, the claims seems to stand.
As for Microsoft not being mentioned... why would they be? This is about OpenAI doing an about-face.

Maybe this could be settled by renaming to OpenishAI?
or name is NreedyAI

I think this SHOULD be done, but I'm skeptical of Musk's reasons...granted, I'm not privy to his reasoning, but based on everything else he seems to believe....I probably won't agree.

That said, while on the topic of dangerous AI, has everybody seen this 7 minute film that was created by a professor of Computer Science, Staurt Russel,to warn of AI being combined with weapons? It's crazy

At 1:40, I liked when he said "and destroy the contents". Referring to penetrating the human head.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I sometimes don't get all the Elon hate, not saying he's a savior or the greatest person ever but man the hate I see on him is getting old. I don't always agree with him but he is business savvy and has propelled society forward in many areas whether its by investing or assisting he has moved a lot of companies forward.

As for this, he's completely right and just based on what I've read his case is solid. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I'm no fan of Musk but I believe every case should be decided on the merits.

There isn't enough information here for anyone to even form an opinion, let alone a determination. Is there any link to the founding contract or is that just not public? Really without that everyone is just taking stabs in the dark as to whether this is justified or not.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think this SHOULD be done, but I'm skeptical of Musk's reasons...granted, I'm not privy to his reasoning, but based on everything else he seems to believe....I probably won't agree.

That said, while on the topic of dangerous AI, has everybody seen this 7 minute film that was created by a professor of Computer Science, Staurt Russel,to warn of AI being combined with weapons? It's crazy

humans are capable of so much, yet so little. good little video though, and it is probably the future sadly.

Everything must be monetized because the human race is horrible.
"Money" is simply a common thing for people to use to buy and sell a variety of different goods and services. Before "Money", people would have to trade physical goods or trust a promise. You try buying a pair of shoes with a bucket of fish and see how far you get...

Seriously, try it, have a friend with you videoing the whole thing, upload it to YouTube and drop the link here, I would love to see it. If they don't go for the trade with a bucket of fish option, you can simply tell them that they are horrible Human beings because they are selling those shoes instead of simply giving them away, that always works for me.!

Well, eating, medical care, and housing ain't free

The issue is when profits are put on top on everything, and so everything becomes a fair game, including war, drugs, messed up medical care, contamination, manipulation of society

And companies are by design focused on profits, and so there are most of the investors who fuel this fire, and over time the most aggressive companies prevail eating the smaller ones or forcing them to close

Capitalism is a problem, but the other systems seem to be even worse, your nick is right

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Well, eating, medical care, and housing ain't free

The issue is when profits are put on top on everything, and so everything becomes a fair game, including war, drugs, messed up medical care, contamination, manipulation of society

And companies are by design focused on profits, and so there are most of the investors who fuel this fire, and over time the most aggressive companies prevail eating the smaller ones or forcing them to close

Capitalism is a problem, but the other systems seem to be even worse, your nick is right

Nothing is free but if you have enough capital to leverage you can earn more than enough off investments that it might as well be. Those Investments also happen to be in companies that often unequally exploit the middle-class and poor. The middle class and particularly the poor spend a much larger portion of their income on necessities because they have zero leverage. This also extends to other aspects of life from getting credit to purchasing a house / car, simply not being rich makes things more expensive. This inevitably leads to further concentration of wealth, especially given the lack of tax enforcement on the rich. It's fine to be rich but over-concentration of wealth is bad for the economy. Money needs to change hands at least 9 times in order for an economy to be considered healthy but with a greater proportion of that money being in control the wealthy it's leaving a smaller and smaller pool of money that is actively being exchanged generating economic activity.

Capitalism is a self destructive system without adequate government oversight.

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Nothing is free but if you have enough capital to leverage you can earn more than enough off investments that it might as well be. Those Investments also happen to be in companies that often unequally exploit the middle-class and poor. The middle class and particularly the poor spend a much larger portion of their income on necessities because they have zero leverage. This also extends to other aspects of life from getting credit to purchasing a house / car, simply not being rich makes things more expensive. This inevitably leads to further concentration of wealth, especially given the lack of tax enforcement on the rich. It's fine to be rich be over-concentration of wealth is bad for the economy. Money needs to change hands at least 9 times in order for an economy to be considered healthy but with a greater proportion of that money being in control the wealthy it's leaving a smaller and smaller pool of money that is actively being exchanged generating economic activity.

Capitalism is a self destructive system without adequate government oversight.
I agree with some of what you say, but government oversight rarely tends to make things better, especially economies.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I agree with some of what you say, but government oversight rarely tends to make things better, especially economies.

The government is only as effective as the people elected to uphold it. If a government is enacting policies most folk don't agree on or is in general ineffective that's a sign of a broader issue.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu

At 1:40, I liked when he said "and destroy the contents". Referring to penetrating the human head.

This inevitably leads to further concentration of wealth, especially given the lack of tax enforcement on the rich.
There were no income taxes before WWI. They introduced it in the guise of being temporary for funding the war and never rescinded it. Income taxes need to go away, period.

The problem is not "rich are taxed enough" like AOC claims but just bad policies of endless spending and never planning to pay off debt and money printers going into places that only favor those in power.
I'd like you to try a society where no one is compensated for their work.
Away from the military uses, this is why having things like "open AI" actually being open source is a very good thing to have, so people can see what they are doing and how they are manipulating and using the information. Obviously this will never apply to military, but everything that can be applied to one can be applied to another via certain "rules" and "parameters", but I have no idea whether this information input is also "open", I doubt it is, and that is a very important part of all of the nonsense we have seen with "AI" chatbots.
The real scary thing is the bad humans taking advantage of it to bring an era of absolute censorship and 100% blatant stealing of IP with "AI". Take the leftist leaning you were talking about with machines at doors preventing entry to necessary stores and establishments unless your social credit score is high, and unlike humans it won't have any empathy because it's just a machine, no conscious, no intelligence, no feelings.

As for Terminator, that's just fiction, and kind of a way to shift blame elsewhere. The problem has always been the human condition, which won't change.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
There were no income taxes before WWI. They introduced it in the guise of being temporary for funding the war and never rescinded it. Income taxes need to go away, period.

That's only part of the story, income tax was pushed by southern states as the North's industrial economy was booming while the south's agricultural economy was being left behind: https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/16th-amendment

It's all fine and dandy to say to get rid of income tax but ultimately you've proposed nothing to replace that massive gap in funding. Yes America didn't always have income tax but it did have sin tax, excise tax, and a whole host of other taxes. Whatever your replacement is needs to be worthwhile enough to make such sweeping changes.

The problem is not "rich are taxed enough" like AOC claims but just bad policies of endless spending and never planning to pay off debt and money printers going into places that only favor those in power.

Endless spending is certainly an issue but so too is the increasing income inequality. The bottom 50% of Americans control a mere 2.6% of all the wealth while the top 20% control 86.6%: https://www.statista.com/statistics/203961/wealth-distribution-for-the-us/

At some point you have to have taxes targeted specifically at preventing concentration of wealth. In a capitalist economy, the further the concentration of wealth the more leverage those few have. More leverage often means more exploitation as they have more money while conversely everyone else has less and they use that power to further that trend. That exploitation in particularly bad when people are living paycheck to paycheck as often this means people have no choice but to take what they can get. If concentration of wealth becomes bad enough where people lower on the ladder don't have enough to buy everything they might ordinarily, that reduces the amount of economic activity there could have been otherwise. Ultimately the economy is carried on the backs of the commonfolk as they are the one's generating the vast majority of economic activity.

You sort of acknolwege this by saying that goverment policy only favors those in power. Well those in power in a capitalist economy are those with the most money.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I sometimes don't get all the Elon hate, not saying he's a savior or the greatest person ever but man the hate I see on him is getting old. I don't always agree with him but he is business savvy and has propelled society forward in many areas whether its by investing or assisting he has moved a lot of companies forward.

As for this, he's completely right and just based on what I've read his case is solid. Going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

It seems that it's become commonplace to hate on successful people and entities, as if the common folk were supposedly paragons of justice and uphold unquestionable moral standards. It makes me sick.

or name is NreedyAI

What does NVIDIA have to do with this quarrel? (I know it's a joke)

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.