• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with Lenovo Y510p

juliocmenacho

Hello Guys,

I have an old Lenovo y510p (9 years) that I use to study, work and play some games.
Everything was fine and the computer worked really well until about 2 months ago it started to get really slow.
To give you an idea, games like Valorant, which before I could maintain at 60 fps stably (no more than that), are now no longer possible. The FPS keeps droping and I believe the reason is de CPU.
Ive tried to tweak it by changing thermal paste and cleaning, but without any success, and the CPU temperature always goes to 100 C°.
Looking for solutions, I found Throttlestop and still trying to figure out optimal settings for this old rock.
To cut a long story short I have tried some settings and the game is more playable, but I cant keep it on 60 fps.

I know the computer is very old, but I hope you guys can help me because I dont have money to buy a new pc :roll:.

Here are my TS settings and the notebook specs

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
RAM - 12 GB DDR3
GPU - 2X NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 755M
500GB SSD

Ps: Sorry about any grammar mistake, Im not a native English speaker.
Some times, also appears "UTILIZATION" in the Limits tab
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 18.53.55.jpeg

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
temperature always goes to 100 C°
What thermal paste did you use? It is not working. Try using Honeywell PTM 7950.

You cannot get maximum performance from a laptop that is overheating so badly.

Chrishnaw

I used a Y510p as my primary gaming PC until just last year.

Since it's a sudden change and replacing the thermal paste didn't help much, it may be that the CPU is dying, or is on its last leg.
Since the Y510p uses a socketed CPU, it's easy to try a replacement. Looks like 4700MQs are about US$30 on eBay right now. I had upgraded mine to a 4930MX, which are about US$75 right now; since it's basically the same silicon with higher speeds, it was an easy plug-and-play upgrade.
Here are the other options: Intel® Product Specification Advanced Search

Other than that, it could be that you didn't use enough thermal paste. Too much is always better than not enough (as long as it isn't electrically conductive). The other possibility is a partial failure of the motherboard causing a hot spot on/near the CPU. You can also find replacement motherboards on eBay if that's the case.

unclewebb

it may be that the CPU is dying
That is not very likely. Both his CPU and Nvidia GPU temperatures are sky high even when lightly loaded. They did not both just fail at the same time.

The only thing the CPU and GPU have in common is the thermal paste. At only 6W of power consumption the CPU should not be at 93°C. The thermal paste used was not suitable for direct die application to a mobile CPU. Some thermal pastes like MX-4 might only last for a few days before the temperatures go up and up and up.

juliocmenacho

Thanks for the replys.
Here in Brazil it is really hard to find some pc components and cpu's. For that instance, it is not an option for me to change the CPU. Its kinda expensive to import this old 4th CPU's.
I will try Unclewebb sugestion and change the thermal paste for the thermal pad in both the CPU and the GPU .
Also, here in my city I couldn't find the Honeywell PTM 7950, the best i could find is this one THERMAL PAD 13.3 (W/M.K) - TPX-NOPP-9005-R1 - COOLER MASTER ( https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/thermal-grease/thermal-pad-pro/#image-Item4 )
1709124235048.png

The smallest thickness i could find is 0.5mm, but there is also 1mm, 2mm and 3mm. Do you guys think i could use anyone of those instead or it has to be the Honeywell option?
I can buy also a better thermal paste, like Thermal Grizzly.

juliocmenacho

Just an update.
I bought the Honeywell PTM 7950. It will arrive in a month.
When it get here I will update the thread.

juliocmenacho

Hi Guys,
Im back again with the results.
I've changed the thermal paste and put the PTM 7950. Overall, I havent seen much progress, specially when I'm playing Valorant. The CPU temp still goes to 100°C .
One change that I could notice was the cpu temperature improved when using Chrome, Office or not pushing that hard.
I attached the Log file that registered the Data while I was playing and also pictures with what are the ThrottleStop configurations Im using.
Anyway, thanks for the help so far.
1711502194663.png

Attachments

• 2024-03-26.txt
    402.9 KB · Views: 22

unclewebb

@juliocmenacho

Your idle temps indicate that your thermal paste replacement did not go so well. My Y510P idle temps are 30°C cooler. I am still using the original Lenovo paste from 10 years ago. I only have the single Nvidia GPU so your computer might create some extra heat but there should not be that big of a difference.

1711678649830.png

Most everything that is useful in the TPL window is locked by the BIOS. Your undervolt is slightly more than what I am using so about all you can do is double check how the cooler is sitting on the CPU. Perhaps a thermal pad or something is causing the heatsink not to sit square to the CPU.

juliocmenacho

I'll double check that.
The fact that I live in a very hot city also its not helping. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Any update I'll post here

juliocmenacho

Hi guys,
One more update for anyone that is having the same problem, I found kind of a solution.
Reading some other blogs one dude said that removing the keyboard helped with the overheating problem. I tried that and its amazing how it works. I will attach some photos for better understanding.
I know it is not the best option because all the dust that could enter in the mainboard, but for know it working for me. The temperatures now never go above 83 °C while playing. One fact that is worth mention is that I play limiting the frames in the game to 60fps, if I let the "cpu control" the fps, the temperature still goes to 100°C.
1712370047158.png

About the ThrottleStop, Limits tab still is getting the EDP CURRENT and PL messages. I dont know if Im still using the best settings
1712370325151.png

And the last question, Does anyone know any software that allow me to controle de CPU fan?

gQx

Hi guys,
One more update for anyone that is having the same problem, I found kind of a solution.
Reading some other blogs one dude said that removing the keyboard helped with the overheating problem. I tried that and its amazing how it works. I will attach some photos for better understanding.
I know it is not the best option because all the dust that could enter in the mainboard, but for know it working for me. The temperatures now never go above 83 °C while playing. One fact that is worth mention is that I play limiting the frames in the game to 60fps, if I let the "cpu control" the fps, the temperature still goes to 100°C.
View attachment 342248

About the ThrottleStop, Limits tab still is getting the EDP CURRENT and PL messages. I dont know if Im still using the best settings
View attachment 342250

And the last question, Does anyone know any software that allow me to controle de CPU fan?
if you applied it right there is a problem. there are fakes on the market for pastes. where did you order it from? I ordered from here same seller a year ago
and it still works for me