• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Hiring: Reviewers Wanted for Motherboards, Laptops, Gaming Handhelds and Prebuilt Desktops

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
TechPowerUp has four open positions in our team that we'd like to fill with talented and motivated PC gamers and enthusiasts like you! We are looking for a motherboard reviewer, a pre-built gaming PC reviewer, a gaming handheld reviewer and a laptop reviewer—that's four separate positions, for four individuals. Applicants will be required to regularly publish detailed hardware reviews in their respective roles, at a frequency that's most suitable for the type of hardware being reviewed. The position is open to individuals from the US, Canada, the UK, the EU, Japan, or Taiwan.

Besides product evaluation skills, we expect our reviewers to possess good literary skills. We're not exactly looking for over-the-top creative writing, but content that's engaging and insightful to our readers, who come to us for our detailed yet straightforward writing style. The four are remote working positions, which will require you to perform hardware testing and photography in-house. Ideally you'll already have some equipment, but we can definitely help with that, also with streamlining your testing workflow, and creating the testing setup. Our team is also always here for you to discuss testing methodologies, presentation of results, etc. This is a paid, and part-time position, our role will be to keep you busy with samples of the hardware assigned to you. There are no static quotas per month, but depending on the hardware category we expect a certain minimum number of reviews we can publish, to maintain a regular cadence that keeps up with the latest developments.

TechPowerUp reviews don't just go in-depth into performance evaluations, but also include detailed photography and insights to the various components that make up a piece of hardware. Our motherboard reviewer, for example, should be able to identify and test the various onboard devices and VRM components. This comprehensive approach extends to laptops, too, which will mostly be gaming-grade ones—and prebuilt gaming desktops. For the gaming handheld reviewer, you'll need to be able to objectively review and contrast current hardware, such as the ROG Ally, or the Steam Deck, besides evaluating the experience these devices offer haptics wise, or even how supported the platforms are in the enthusiast community, who often release polished software tools or aftermarket hardware modifications for popular devices. Being an avid gamer who enjoys trying out the newest titles would suit the role, as TPU long term testing will involve regular gaming performance articles evaluating and comparing these handheld PCs.

Interested? Send us examples of your work (needn't be with big and notable publications, even personal blogs or forum posts will do); and send us a 300-word essay about recent developments in the area of work you're interested in (for example: if you're signing up for the Laptop position, give us a brief essay on recent developments from the world of laptops). If you're applying for multiple positions, you must include a writing sample for each, so we know you understand the tech. No ChatGPT writeups please, we want to learn about your skills. Prior experience in the field, especially with a notable publication, would count as a big plus, but isn't essential. Please also tell us a bit about yourself, like location, education and age, just so we can get a better idea of you as an applicant.

Contact us at w1zzard@techpowerup.com. Applications close on May 1st.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Hulk
Processor 9900k@4.9GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X Hero/Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 3080 10GB
Display(s) Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Oh man, if I didn't already have a well paid stable job (which I can't very well give up due to having a family to feed) I'd be so in! Handhelds have given me a new gaming life, since I can't use my desktop anymore due to having a baby sleeping in that room now :oops: It's a really interesting space, especially with Intel solutions now out to complete with AMD & all the work being done in the Operating System space for them. I look forward to reading the output of whoever snaps that role up!

ir_cow

Staff member
As the posts says already, we are all here to help with feedback and best practices if asked for. Don't feel that you are completely alone or need to know absolutely everything about a subject. Just need a willingness to learn, question everything and adapt.

Best of luck to applicants.

P.s I have no hiring powers here, please don't PM me about giving a good word on your behalf. Your application will speak for itself.

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
qui recenset reviewers

System Name B20221017 Pro SP1 R2 Gaming Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 CL30 64GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CF791 Curved Ultrawide
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Good to see handhelds on the agenda. Hopefully in time for the ROG Ally 2.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I would love to do this. This would be up my alley. Hm..

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Handhelds, count me in.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I think I'll be submitting an application.
My essay might be well over 300 words, so I hope that will be okay?

ir_cow

Staff member
I think I'll be submitting an application.
This is my opinion on the 300-word essay. Two reason to keep it short. 1: reading long applications often get passed up. TL;DR. 2: This soft limit could be a test. How well does someone follow instructions.

On the other side, you want to make a good impression. What better way than to put all you have into it.

For me when I've hired people (unrelated to this). I often picked people who did short direct route. TL;DR just didn't make the cut if it was #50. Maybe the first five I would read fully.

If the short cover letter peaked my interest, they either got a interview or a follow up phone call.

Can't tell you what wiz thinks. So do whatever you think is best.

I think mine was like two paragraphs and a bunch of links to my previous articles.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / PNY CS3140 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I've been interested in multiple positions here at TPU, each time announcement is made I've applied.

I would love to apply for the motherboard or gaming laptop position, the only thing keeping me from applying this time is region restrictions, at least it has been stated clearly.

Possibly region restrictions has been an issue before too.

Good luck to all.

Good luck for the searching! I used to run a tech/hardware media in Thailand since high-school for many years and had TPU as an idol back then. My destiny drifted me off from PC Masterrace industry to a neighbouring one with editorial sense remains. Testing hardware is hard and mundane stuff that you do the same thing over and over. Also need to be attention to details. I keep supporting you guys!

Sunlight91

extends to laptops, too, which will mostly be gaming-grade ones

Who would want to review Gaming Laptops in the current market? I'm share Tim's opinion from Hardware Unboxed that they make no sense. They are quite heavy and bulky while also offering significant lower performance/$ than a small desktop build. Additionally noise and battery life will be bad.

Modern iGPUs are good enough for the vast majority of games. The success of handhelds proofs this.

System Name Hulk
Processor 9900k@4.9GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X Hero/Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 3080 10GB
Display(s) Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Who would want to review Gaming Laptops in the current market? I'm share Tim's opinion from Hardware Unboxed that they make no sense. They are quite heavy and bulky while also offering significant lower performance/$ than a small desktop build. Additionally noise and battery life will be bad.

Modern iGPUs are good enough for the vast majority of games. The success of handhelds proofs this.
Sure, unless you travel a lot. If you're getting planes or trains a lot, regularly working away from your office, regularly staying in hotels or places you don't have a mouse, keyboard & monitor ready to go, then a laptop is by far the easiest thing to carry & can give you a good work & gaming experience. I do love my handheld, but it's not a laptop replacement, it just doesn't have the power or convenience for doing real work or gaming. Many people don't have any of these use cases & for them it doesn't make sense to get a laptop. That said, there's a lot of people who want to sit on the sofa at home & work or play, my partner is one of them! She's got a decent desktop in the small office room upstairs, with a dock if she wants to dock her laptop up to the monitor, keyboard & mouse, yet she chooses to work on her laptop on the sofa! Drives me slightly crazy, but it's personal preference & a laptop is the only solution for her preference.

While this is true this doesn't make it unnecesary to test new releases to see how the market evolves, right?

Just because a product is bad or not up to the task you want it to be doesn't mean it isn't interesting to see what is happening right now and how the next generation of products evolve. See electric cars. Just because a lot of people didn't like them or see the use in them (especially battery/charging/range) didn't make it useless to test all available options and new releases to see how it changed over time or if some even got worse.

For some people those heavy bulky ones are still a good option. Especially if you commute a lot and spend only a few days a week in certain places but want to enjoy your game in the evening none the less you'd be O.K. with low battery life and less perf/$ compared to the other option of spending a few nights a week in a hotel with only netflix/amazon which is not a great option for a lot of people :p ;)

ir_cow

Staff member
If people didn't buy them, these products wouldn't exist. My buddy games on a RTX 4070 laptop. His wife doesn't like him having a desktop taking up space. He puts the laptop on his lap and away we play.

Sure, unless you travel a lot. If you're getting planes or trains a lot, regularly working away from your office, regularly staying in hotels or places you don't have a mouse, keyboard & monitor ready to go, then a laptop is by far the easiest thing to carry & can give you a good work & gaming experience. I do love my handheld, but it's not a laptop replacement, it just doesn't have the power or convenience for doing real work or gaming. Many people don't have any of these use cases & for them it doesn't make sense to get a laptop. That said, there's a lot of people who want to sit on the sofa at home & work or play, my partner is one of them! She's got a decent desktop in the small office room upstairs, with a dock if she wants to dock her laptop up to the monitor, keyboard & mouse, yet she chooses to work on her laptop on the sofa! Drives me slightly crazy, but it's personal preference & a laptop is the only solution for her preference.
Beat me to it :D ... totally agree :). There are a lot of use cases for this, even though the points he made are true it doesn't mean there isn't a market for it none the less

(( I mean, there even is a market for 14900ks - and what are the real usecases for that? :D ;) ))

Good to see among the tech publications getting bought up / dying, this site is healthy enough to expand it's team.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Part of being a good writer is getting your thoughts across without being too wory, but sure .. absolutely, if you have more to say, impress me :)

If people didn't buy them, these products wouldn't exist.
QFT

Good to see among the tech publications getting bought up / dying, this site is healthy enough to expand it's team.
Site activity, business and money has never been better, and I'm still loving what I do after 20 years :)

added
"Japan"
"If you're applying for multiple positions, you must include a writing sample for each, so we know you understand the tech"

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM / Alphacool Monsta 2×180mm / EK P240M
Memory 2×32GB Kingston Fury Beast (6000MHz @ 36-38-38-80)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 / 2×4TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse ASUS Gladius 3 Wireless
Keyboard Mountain Everest Max
The position is open to individuals from the US, Canada, the UK, the EU, Japan, or Taiwan.
:cry:

As always, Australia gets shafted... To be fair, I'm just an enthusiast and have no experience in anything similar to journalism so unlikely I'd even pass the first stage, but it'd be nice to see remote working positions be more accessible to those of us living down under.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / PNY CS3140 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Maybe include more regions?... Africa!...

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Maybe include more regions?... Africa!...
The difficulty of sending stuff to some regions and back is to blame here, I think. Not even India is on the list, regardless of the fact that TPU's Chief-News-Officer is situated there.

@W1zzard Are there any members of the staff in Australia? Does the "TPU everywhere" world map on the Contact Us page need updating?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
System Name Too old for this
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard Asus Zenith II Extreme
Cooling EK ZIIE Monoblock
Memory 8x8gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz C16
Video Card(s) Asus 3090 EK
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 1tb + Rocket 3 2tb
Display(s) LG 65G26LA + Asus PG35VQ
Case Asus Helios
Audio Device(s) Creative AE9 + Edifier Luna + Marantz Cinema 40 + Monitor Audio Silver 500
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200W
Mouse Corsair M85 Elite
Keyboard Corsair K70 Mk.2

I've heard about the useless gaming laptop story in the last 15 years, but they still exist and getting better time to time... Maybe because there are people who buy them because they need them, instead of a desktop computer.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Count me in for laptops! I'm a music producer that pushes laptops to the limits with complex sound design and I use the most complex software, bitwig studio, to make my music in! Music production is the most demanding thing on laptops because it requires the lowest DPC latency and optimizations to work with synths without poppin n crackin!
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HJNxA3RCMqs doing thermal testing on my inspiron 3525 for exmple with one of my complex tracks!

I also rehab laptops and sell them so I'm comfy taking them apart to look at how well they are internally designed.

Also beta tested for big brands so I'm comfy telling companies where they need to improve.

also.. blog in sig for all the reviews on networking hardware I've done!

also one thing I forgot in the email and this is even part of reviewing is adding some things after the fact is that I can also test how good the laptops work in Linux too!!

Last edited: