• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Chrome Claims 1% Market-Share in Just 9 Hours

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
After installing IE7, the first time that you run it, it goes to a page that lets you configure your settings which include setting your default search engine from a list of common ones or by adding whatever you like. I hardly call that forcing it upon you.

Aye, but Chrome's got that beat -- it's got a nag box that won't go away until you choose either Google or another search engine. The IE7 first time start page is completely ignored by most users (including me! :laugh:).

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
See above response, post that is, how is Microsoft related to anything? Where have I stated Microsoft is any better?

Whoa whoa whoa -- slow down there. No need to bring out the anti-anti-Microsoft defense team.

Nobody's picking on our beloved Microsoft -- where did I say that they were any worse? I just saw a funny comparison, and decided to make it. ;)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Aye, but Chrome's got that beat -- it's got a nag box that won't go away until you choose either Google or another search engine. The IE7 first time start page is completely ignored by most users (including me! :laugh:).

I see. So to you ignoring a configuration page = forcing. :laugh: Thanks for the laugh. It's always nice to have a good chuckle early in the day.

I rest my case :toast:

Whoa whoa whoa -- slow down there. No need to bring out the anti-anti-Microsoft defense team.

Nobody's picking on our beloved Microsoft -- where did I say that they were any worse? I just saw a funny comparison, and decided to make it. ;)
Why anti-anti-Microsoft? I never said Microsoft was all good, just stating that it's completely unrelated to Google being just as bad.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
I see. So to you ignoring a configuration page = forcing. :laugh: Thanks for the laugh. It's always nice to have a good chuckle early in the day.

I rest my case :toast:

Oh, you're right -- I'm totally different from the vast majority of computer users that obviously take all their time to go through preferences screens and configure everything manually, like I'm sure all the users of IE7 did. :laugh: Buddy, thanks for giving me a laugh.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Why anti-anti-Microsoft? I never said Microsoft was all good, just stating that it's completely unrelated to Google being just as bad.

You really think Microsoft is totally unrelated to Google at this point? These, the two companies that are currently fighting tooth and nail for control of the internet? :wtf:

There's nothing wrong with having a discussion about one and involving the other, at this point. It's not like we're talking about two vastly different fields of industry here.

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
Of course I haven't noticed, I haven't used Chrome. I commented on Google, not on Chrome.

I gave up because my laptop has a 16MB videocard which makes the thing terribly slow. Not because I didn't understand it. I might look at it at home.
Is it useful for interior design as well? ie placing furniture and the likes?

I didn't think you didn't understand it, it was a response to you saying 'how hard could it be to draw'

It is very useful for interior design, I've used it to make a model of my house so I can play around with the interior design. Plus, you've got something called 3D Warehouse, where people upload their own models of things to save you making everything from scratch.

Some things I can't be bothered making, like a monitor for example, so I got the sketchup model of my 2408s from the 3D Warehouse.

I've attached an example of one of the rooms from my house model.

Attachments

• Room.JPG
    Room.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 473

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
wish i was that good at sketchup ^

kylew

Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Oh, you're right -- I'm totally different from the vast majority of computer users that obviously take all their time to go through preferences screens and configure everything manually, like I'm sure all the users of IE7 did. :laugh: Buddy, thanks for giving me a laugh.

What users of IE7? I didn't know anyone used it. :confused:

:p

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
What users of IE7? I didn't know anyone used it. :confused:

:p

Oh, poo -- coincidentally enough, I wish more people used it, at least among Windows users. :laugh: I'm tired of having to support IE6.

You really think Microsoft is totally unrelated to Google at this point? These, the two companies that are currently fighting tooth and nail for control of the internet? :wtf:

There's nothing wrong with having a discussion about one and involving the other, at this point. It's not like we're talking about two vastly different fields of industry here.

Of course it is wrong, I state something about Google. People turn it into "but Microsoft does it too". How is that relevant? Does it in any way change the point I made? Does it add anything? No and no, hence it's an pointless response.
If I am wrong here, please explain how Microsoft doing similar things affect the issue.

So to answer your first question, yes, I really think so.

Quite the contradiction here:
when you search in Chrome for the first time, it asks you if you want to use Google as your search engine or if you'd like to use another. That's a damn sight better than IE7 did, which forced MSN upon you by default. :shadedshu
So when IE7 asks you to change the settings to your likings it's bad. When Google does so it's a blessing.

I didn't think you didn't understand it, it was a response to you saying 'how hard could it be to draw'

It is very useful for interior design, I've used it to make a model of my house so I can play around with the interior design. Plus, you've got something called 3D Warehouse, where people upload their own models of things to save you making everything from scratch.

Some things I can't be bothered making, like a monitor for example, so I got the sketchup model of my 2408s from the 3D Warehouse.

I've attached an example of one of the rooms from my house model.

For the videocard I meant, it looking relatively simple and all.

Looks like I can make some decent things in it, I'll try it at home.

kylew

Of course it is wrong, I state something about Google. People turn it into "but Microsoft does it too". How is that relevant? Does it in any way change the point I made? Does it add anything? No and no, hence it's an pointless response.
If I am wrong here, please explain how Microsoft doing similar things affect the issue.

Quite the contradiction here:

So when IE7 asks you to change the settings to your likings it's bad. When Google does so it's a blessing.

Until my choice is removed, it doesn't bother me when software suggests I use *insert here*. Though I understand your point on running a script to install apps unattended.

Where I do think it's bad though is for the people who are a bit wary or not very clued up when it comes to computers who are sometimes cleverly tricked into installing some other software. Messenger Plus Live add-on for MSN messenger springs to mind.

It has an odd way of wording its question of installing third party software, you have to check the box to say you don't want it, and the box says 'I refuse to give my support to the sponsors' or something to that effect.

Most people will just steam on ahead because checkboxes most of the time indicated a decision to install something instead of a confirmation that you don't want it installed.

Oh well :ohwell:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@MDM LOL, I know that many users don't take the time to configure their apps. It's a shame really, as that is how you get them to be useful.

Back on topic, I really didn't find Chrome to be of much use. My home page is an html page that I wrote that contains links to all of the sites I visit frequently. I find it to be much easier than the new "recently visited" page that Chrome uses. I know that I can just set my home page the same way in Chrome, but then it does not really do any more for me than IE.

That and Chrome was just thrashing the hard drive even when it was just idling. Not sure what it was doing.

Many companies grew in similar ways several years ago, few survived. And I disagree with the Google ftw statement. Forcing their search bar upon you, hiding behind beta statuses, primarily being concerned with advertising (even basing ads on the content of your mail). They're just a glorified ad company. I like their search engine and Google earth, apart from that I don't care about their stuff and even less about the company itself.

Don't forget the main thing, everything Google offers is FREE. How do you think they can give you such awesome applications and features if they don't make money? Not calling you out in particular, but people need to stop bitching about free software. Its FREE. How the hell does anyone have the right to complain or bitch about how a free-software giving company makes money? Every mogul has a little bit of Microsoft in them. Its just the way it works. :rockout:

kylew

For the videocard I meant, it looking relatively simple and all.

Looks like I can make some decent things in it, I'll try it at home.

Ahh, I see what you meant. Yeah it's very good for all sorts of model making. It's widely used by professionals because it's just like 2D drawing packages with an extra axis to draw on.

While I can use a lot of other CAD software, I prefer Sketchup over them all when it comes to modeling in 3D as I enjoy using it a lot more than others. They're just not as intuitive.

3DSMax for example is a pain the ass to do modeling work in in comparison to sketchup, but as I said earlier, I use it 3DSMax mostly for texturing/applying materials/lighting to produce nicely rendered images.

kylew

How the hell does anyone have the right to complain or bitch about how a free-software giving company makes money?

Google are secretly selling black-market body parts and slaves in large quantities... :D

Though I do agree with you, all their software is free. I personally don't mind ads or being asked to install the google toolbar, as long as I've always got the option/choice to opt out of installing the addition 'wares.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro

You're in IT, you should know -- like it or not, Microsoft is the "industry standard." It's products (and thusly, its practices) are sanctioned by companies and governments all across the world. Comparing what another company does to Microsoft, or using Microsoft's own practices while defending another company should be par for the course. Using Microsoft in this way isn't insulting it -- but it is applicable to say that one company's practices shouldn't be criticized because "Microsoft does it too."

I'm surprised you think differently. Do you not think that Microsoft is an industry standard and thus should be the recipient of this kind of argument?

Never said IE7 asking you was bad -- but what Google does is better, and makes what IE7 does look like forcing you. Depending upon the average computer user to manually change something is almost ridiculous.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Cough...... what happened?

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
@MDM LOL, I know that many users don't take the time to configure their apps. It's a shame really, as that is how you get them to be useful.

Back on topic, I really didn't find Chrome to be of much use. My home page is an html page that I wrote that contains links to all of the sites I visit frequently. I find it to be much easier than the new "recently visited" page that Chrome uses. I know that I can just set my home page the same way in Chrome, but then it does not really do any more for me than IE.

That and Chrome was just thrashing the hard drive even when it was just idling. Not sure what it was doing.

Hey, I know how you feel -- sadly enough though, most of the technology software world seems to be involved with grabbing up what large chunk of "uninformed" computer users it can. It's why an application's default settings are very important and are often the matter of contention.

Just for the record, I am NOT some sort of Google evangelist -- I personally find some of their data mining practices quite reprehensible, for instance. They seem to be a company that was (and still is) quite a cool company, but one that is quickly turning into just another industry player like Microsoft.

tvdang7

Processor AMD 3200+ venice @2.65
Motherboard Abot AX8
Cooling XP-90 with highspeed zalman
Memory 2 x 1gb ocz gold DDR500
Video Card(s) x1800xl 600/625 1.15/1.856/1.856
Storage 160 gig hitachi SATA
Display(s) viewsonic E90
Case thermaltake tsunami dream
Audio Device(s) sound blaster audigy 2 zs
Power Supply ultra X-finity 600W
Software xp-pro
How exactly do they get these market share statistics? just wondering
browser
OS
Video cards
cpu's

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Actualy what i got out of this, is you bashing Google for including a "check box" to add their toolbar ect ect. The point being made here is YOUR point is irrelavent for them forcing their stuff on you when some sort of online deal is usualy always forced on you when you install something. Microsoft does it, Yahoo does it, Gamespy does it, Ask Jeeves does it, you get my point. So you saying you hate Google for doing this is stupid when in fact almost every other online related company does it as well.

And who said something about adds in the Gmail? I dont see any? :wtf:

Actualy what i got out of this, is you bashing Google for including a "check box" to add their toolbar ect ect. The point being made here is YOUR point is irrelavent for them forcing their stuff on you when some sort of online deal is usualy always forced on you when you install something. Microsoft does it, Yahoo does it, Gamespy does it, Ask Jeeves does it, you get my point. So you saying you hate Google for doing this is stupid when in fact almost every other online related company does it as well.

And who said something about adds in the Gmail? I dont see any? :wtf:

I disagreed with the "google ftw" statement, the argument is the way the company spreads their software and acts like they aren't like other companies. If I was bashing them I would only state negative things, I would certainly not be saying I do like certain products. Apart from that I wouldn't be having an argument. If the response is that other companies do it to you're implying I don't dislike it when those companies do it, which is false.
And it's not just the checkbox, I stated more than that.