• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TechPowerUp Forums

A
AlwaysHope
Yes, from what we know to date, optical disks are more reliable in data retention for archival storage than any of the newer flash memory based products around today.
  • Love
Reactions: natr0n
M
mplayerMuPDF
don't forget that PCM also still lives on in e.g. FLAC/ALAC and WAV/AIFF to this day.
Reactions: natr0n
M
mplayerMuPDF
Somewhat related, most people probably do not know that DSD likewise originated with the Super Audio CD or SACD, which was also codeveloped by Sony. People much smarter than me have stated that it is impossible for higher sampling rates (which I guess includes typical DSD, even though it is not a high PCM sampling rate) to yield superior performance for audio playback than 44.1 kHz/CD quality.
M
mplayerMuPDF
I trust their judgment, so I think that SACD is basically a scam to milk audiophiles for money while also trying to introduce DRM for music/audio, just like they did for movies/video with DVD (CSS). It is probably not a coincidence that Sony also owns some of the biggest labels in the music industry.