• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

10875H all core clocks drop even when one core utilized ingame

throttlestop1.1.jpg
throttlestop2.jpg

I have been fooling around for a couple of days w my newly purchased laptop. I dropped turbo ratio limits as I do not see any performance uplift. UV also seems to be stable as per bench.
My question is actually different. I have tried a couple of games and even when the game utilizes 1-2 cores and/or threads, cpu drops all core boost to 4.2 ghz directly. I cant understand this as the game utilizes only 1-2 cores (checked ingame via hwinfo)

Is that due to smth I did here in these settings or is it normal behaviour? or the game really utilizes all cores but I do not see it.

Games:
AOE 4
Before we Leave

no high bandwith connection where i am at rn. Not possible to download an fps to try smth different.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
the game really utilizes all cores
Games rarely utilize 8 cores of an 8 core CPU. Exit HWiNFO, turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Post a log file so I can have a look at your CPU performance.

In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box. Intel CPUs run fine without needing multiple sets of turbo power limits trying to control them.

Why did you check the Power Balance box in the TPL window? This feature was originally for 15W U series CPUs. Most people with 45W TDP CPUs are not using Power Balance.

Show me a screenshot of the C States window when your computer is idle at the desktop. Some computers have the C states disabled. This can prevent Intel Turbo Boost from working correctly.

Games rarely utilize 8 cores of an 8 core CPU. Exit HWiNFO, turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Post a log file so I can have a look at your CPU performance.

In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box. Intel CPUs run fine without needing multiple sets of turbo power limits trying to control them.

Why did you check the Power Balance box in the TPL window? This feature was originally for 15W U series CPUs. Most people with 45W TDP CPUs are not using Power Balance.

Show me a screenshot of the C States window when your computer is idle at the desktop. Some computers have the C states disabled. This can prevent Intel Turbo Boost from working correctly.
right when I closed the game BSOD lol. Lowered my UV back to the last stable I know -115.2
MMIO locked
Was checking every option and googling to find out what they were, seems like found the information regarding a U series cpu :) disabled it.
c-states idling.jpg

also C states idling as requested. Hope log is good.

thx @unclewebb

Edit: will upload a better c states ss as this seems like cpu not idling at all.

Attachments

• 2022-12-02.txt
    65.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

unclewebb

upload a better c states ss as this seems like cpu not idling at all.
Too many active cores can reduce the maximum multiplier.

The problem is mostly the Intel algorithm. It has become very conservative so the slightest load on any of the cores is enough to trigger a lowering of the turbo multiplier. You are not the first person to notice this or complain about this. There is nothing you can really do about this.

In the FIVR window, I would set the 8 Core active multiplier back to the default value which is 43. At least that will get you the 43 multiplier more often. Your cooling system cannot handle any more than that.

-79 mV for the cache is usually what causes BSOD on similar 10th Gen mobile CPUs. Try reducing this to -70 mV. The cache offset setting is more important than the core offset setting. Do some TS Bench testing and make sure it does not report any errors.

Too many active cores can reduce the maximum multiplier.

The problem is mostly the Intel algorithm. It has become very conservative so the slightest load on any of the cores is enough to trigger a lowering of the turbo multiplier. You are not the first person to notice this or complain about this. There is nothing you can really do about this.

In the FIVR window, I would set the 8 Core active multiplier back to the default value which is 43. At least that will get you the 43 multiplier more often. Your cooling system cannot handle any more than that.

-79 mV for the cache is usually what causes BSOD on similar 10th Gen mobile CPUs. Try reducing this to -70 mV. The cache offset setting is more important than the core offset setting. Do some TS Bench testing and make sure it does not report any errors.
thx for the advice! would it help if i would set the affinity of the game and give the game say, 4 cores? or is it gonna be always 4.3 in every game :/

unclewebb

Limiting the affinity might help but temperature wise you are already close to the wall at the 42 multiplier. Raising that to 43 will probably cause some thermal throttling. No point in trying to go faster.

Limiting the affinity might help but temperature wise you are already close to the wall at the 42 multiplier. Raising that to 43 will probably cause some thermal throttling. No point in trying to go faster.
I am gonna repast the machine when I am back home. Bought it used. Is already a year old machine. And the producer had used liquid metal on both cpu and gpu.

Also, It feels like dissepated heat is just warm even though cpu is running 90c. I think repasting will help. Will report back definitely if it helps.

@unclewebb, back home, repasted. LM was applied only on CPU, GPU had normal thermal compaund. Thought about using LM on GPU too but block is bare copper. No difference in heat output or cpu heat. AS you have said, there is nothing we can do more as the laptop is too thin. Purchased a notebook cooler which maybe can provide couple of degrees. Tried bf 2042 cpu was 95 after 15 mins, gpu was around 80 degrees. PLayed without issue though.